Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

what's the sardine of liquor? gin?

is gin talk acceptable itt? i think that's the go-to dad liquor since everyone drinks whiskey now

I think the sardine of liqour would have to be repellent to women and children so it's probably scotch. But, like, scotch in the 1980s before the single malt homos started raping the landscape.

Anyway my favorite summer cocktail is a Hendricks tom collins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

is gin talk acceptable itt? i think that's the go-to dad liquor since everyone drinks whiskey now

I enjoy both. I am not a literal Dad.

I just enjoy the same interests.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think the sardine of liqour would have to be repellent to women and children so it's probably scotch. But, like, scotch in the 1980s before the single malt homos started raping the landscape.

Anyway my favorite summer cocktail is a Hendricks tom collins.

i've been on a real big gin rickey kick recently

my mom drinks scotch and i havent met a single woman that likes gin to ymmv

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I drank a few bottles of 8.5% scotch ale and ate a few tins of KO dines with jalapeņos and some KO anchovies. I dunno if it improved the flavor but I sure as hell enjoyed it, like a stoned person eating sugar

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i've been on a real big gin rickey kick recently

my mom drinks scotch and i havent met a single woman that likes gin to ymmv

Women only like vodka and tequila really, yeah, but I think there's a certain class of hard bitten East Coast broad that drinks gin drinks.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Women only like vodka and tequila really, yeah, but I think there's a certain class of hard bitten East Coast broad that drinks gin drinks.

She's either further east then me, or I have yet to find her.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

After living here like a year, I finally decided to hit up the corner asian market by my work to see what they have and am glad I did. Not only do they carry my favorite hot sauce in the world world, El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Sauce, in addition to the El Yuc habanero I've never tried before, but they have like a dozen different new and weird sardines and also super cheap hot food from their little weird deli add-on. Big balls of spiced dal for 69 cents and big meat pies for $1.39 while I shop? SURE THING

Got a brand of 'dine called Hot Titus that was Moroccan 'dines in spiced oil. Good stuff for $1.79 but I'm sure they have better. Was a little surprised to see the Ligo 'dines that normally only come in the giant pound cans sold in little individual sized ones. That was new.

Also I've replaced the matzoh crackers I usually eat them on with white rice that I shake up with seasoned vinegar and red pepper flakes and I highly recommend it. Don't skimp on the vinegar either but I doubt I have to tell you guys that

edit - they also have cooked whole mackrel cleaned and smoked and poo poo in the fridge in the back but it was luxury priced at $3.59 for 7 ounces. AND KIMCHI! GIANT BOTTLES FOR LIKE 6 BUX

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Android Bicyclist posted:

Hello to you too, forums user a real jerk

Feel free to grab a tin from the shelf at Seafood King in Sacramento, CA.

EDIT: it's Seafood City. :argh:

I am a sardine virgin and I will make a pilgrimage to this place.

Keith Atherton posted:

Got three tins of these for a Christmas gift from my buddy who is an actual old man and Dad:

Holy moley these are top tier if you are into skinless/boneless dines.

thank you

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Herr Tog posted:

I am a sardine virgin and I will make a pilgrimage to this place.

thank you

If you're in the midwest you can save some gas by going to Jungle Jim's which also owns and has all kinds of loving poo poo

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

If you're in the midwest you can save some gas by going to Jungle Jim's which also owns and has all kinds of loving poo poo

i am 2 hours from sacramento but thank you

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

what's the sardine of liquor?

Cutty Sark

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ouzo, arak, raki etc

or maybe slivovitz

Haverchuck fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 25, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Pelinkovac

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dad drink for a dad snack:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Epic High Five posted:

After living here like a year, I finally decided to hit up the corner asian market by my work to see what they have and am glad I did. Not only do they carry my favorite hot sauce in the world world, El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Sauce, in addition to the El Yuc habanero I've never tried before, but they have like a dozen different new and weird sardines and also super cheap hot food from their little weird deli add-on. Big balls of spiced dal for 69 cents and big meat pies for $1.39 while I shop? SURE THING

Got a brand of 'dine called Hot Titus that was Moroccan 'dines in spiced oil. Good stuff for $1.79 but I'm sure they have better. Was a little surprised to see the Ligo 'dines that normally only come in the giant pound cans sold in little individual sized ones. That was new.

Also I've replaced the matzoh crackers I usually eat them on with white rice that I shake up with seasoned vinegar and red pepper flakes and I highly recommend it. Don't skimp on the vinegar either but I doubt I have to tell you guys that

edit - they also have cooked whole mackrel cleaned and smoked and poo poo in the fridge in the back but it was luxury priced at $3.59 for 7 ounces. AND KIMCHI! GIANT BOTTLES FOR LIKE 6 BUX

Seasoned vinegar you say? This a self made thing or store bought. Teach me your ways because they sound like they own.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It's just rice vinegar with sugar and salt. Easiest to buy it in just about any grocery store unless you have regular need for plain rice vinegar, in which case season the plain stuff as needed.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

Dad drink for a dad snack:

cannot read please explain

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

http://dailyscandinavian.com/the-next-big-scandinavian-thing/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Seasoned vinegar you say? This a self made thing or store bought. Teach me your ways because they sound like they own.

What butch said, I don't make this myself. Just splash some on some rice in a Tupperware with some red pepper flakes, put a lid on, shake, and dump my 'dines on it and chow down

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Epic High Five posted:

The only thing I'll miss about leaving Cincinnati is Jungle Jim's. That place is full of awesome, esoteric delicious.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Epic High Five posted:

What butch said, I don't make this myself. Just splash some on some rice in a Tupperware with some red pepper flakes, put a lid on, shake, and dump my 'dines on it and chow down

Thank you Epic and Butch :)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Aquavit.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

thank you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Linie is really good it smells pungently of dill and caraway. Some of the other ones are too subtle for my taste.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

VendaGoat posted:

She's either further east then me, or I have yet to find her.

I married her. sorry you're welcome. My awesome but totally crazy rear end wife absolutely loves gin but her identical twin sister only likes scotch. Fuckin weird family they are.

I found out that my local large chain grocery store (Publix) can order pretty much any fresh fish (so they say), so I'm gonna give it a whirl and place an order for some 'dines and mackerel. Anyone here have any experience ordering fresh fishies through Publix?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Salmon Bitch. Learn to cook loving salmon.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

im a swede and this stuff WILL put hair on your chest

do try it, dont get it in your windpipe tho :mrwhite:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Adding to the dadly butcher videos mentioned above, I think I found the dadliest one. Squirrel butchering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2f6f1qr1BU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tried dines for the first time today. Not really in the dad territory (going on 23 next month), but I figured what the hell, might as well get a head start. Growing up, my mom loved sardines and my dad hated everything about them. Go figure.

Basically I just bought the recommended King Oscar's in the OP and toasted some Thomas Whole Grain English muffins and put sardines on it and :tviv: where has this been in my life. The taste, the health benefits, the price, the it's all there. I've been wondering why one of GBS's biggest threads is about some dumb fish for a while now but now I've been enlightened. Probably going to have the same thing with an egg tomorrow then try out some dine recipes over the weekend.

e: And I was worried about the bones, but I didn't taste or feel them at all except for the occasional spine, which was actually a treat.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 26, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

so i got kippers and idk what i'm expecting. how do they vary from the dine?

THese are the best kippers bar none, look at all that smokey accumulation. They straight up taste like fish-bacon:

KO, Brunswick, Seasons, Crown Prince all fall short and they're usually more expensive too....dont stray from teh Polar

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Secret dadfood usually made by French women: ratatouille. Look it up dads

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCC47QYyV0Q&t=117s

raton fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 27, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I pretty much live on ratatouille when the fixins are in season. And gin.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

THese are the best kippers bar none, look at all that smokey accumulation. They straight up taste like fish-bacon:

KO, Brunswick, Seasons, Crown Prince all fall short and they're usually more expensive too....dont stray from teh Polar

I've been looking for Polars but no luck.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

:agreed:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hon hon!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Sheep-Goats posted:

Im making cassoulet soon

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haverchuck posted:

Im making cassoulet soon

I never ate one of those that's one of them all day sumbitches aint it gd

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Sheep-Goats posted:

I never ate one of those that's one of them all day sumbitches aint it gd

its just french style pork n beans pretty much, i want to make it in a dutch oven on a campfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the dish has its own governing body in france

http://www.academie-du-cassoulet.com/