Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

hseroK divaD posted:

You forgot the best part:

Strydom had sought out to prove that she could scale the mountain while on a vegan diet, the Monash University lecturer told the university’s blog. “It seems that people have this warped idea of vegans being malnourished and weak,” Strydom said. “By climbing the seven summits we want to prove that vegans can do anything and more.”

http://time.com/4344556/woman-vegan...+Top+Stories%29

It's kind of understandable that people climbing in the name of some fucktarded crusade would be relatively unlikely to seek out a quality guide service, or put more than minimal effort into preparing for the climb.

Binary Badger posted:

Two U.S. soldiers, one an amputee, made it to the summit of Mt. Everest earlier today!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/24/health/usx-veteran-soldiers-summit-everest/index.html

Out-loving-standing! I couldn't make it up Everest even with an extra leg, this guy does it without one. Congrats to the first male and female members of service to make it up to Everest simultaneously!

That reminds me of when Nepal was talking about banning elderly and disabled people from climbing. I would hope that if such a law gets passed, they leave some avenue for proving that one is still fit enough to have a sporting chance on the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

quote:

'Their bodies were spotted by another team, at the Triangle, close to the summit,' Tourism Ministry official Gyanendra Shrestha told dpa on Tuesday.

The bodies of Strydom, a Dutchman, and another Indian, who died due to altitude sickness on Saturday, would be easier to retrieve since they were located at the lower elevation of 8600 feet, he said.

What the hell is the "triangle"?

And, I think they mean 8,600 meters, not feet. Which then raises the question: How is a body that is only 250 meters below the summit, in the death zone, "easier to retrieve"?

Edit; thinking about it, I think the one guy close to the summit is like, really, really near the summit. Which I say warrants a shove off the Kangshung face. It's what I would want for me.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2016

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Back when Alyssa Azar was planning to be the "youngest woman ever" before having to move the goalposts to "youngest Australian ever" to climb Everest, she had pre-written her tie-in book - does anyone have a link or remember the name of the book? I remember it had some ridiculously obnoxious title that had assumed her triumphant success.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Back when Alyssa Azar was planning to be the "youngest woman ever" before having to move the goalposts to "youngest Australian ever" to climb Everest, she had pre-written her tie-in book - does anyone have a link or remember the name of the book? I remember it had some ridiculously obnoxious title that had assumed her triumphant success.

Google tells me it's "The Girl Who Climbed Everest: The Inspirational Story of Alyssa Azar, Australia's Youngest Adventurer"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ville Valo posted:

Google tells me it's "The Girl Who Climbed Everest: The Inspirational Story of Alyssa Azar, Australia's Youngest Adventurer"

I've managed to track down a sample chapter:

quote:

When I was young I liked walking up hills. I don't really know why, I just did. So I climbed up lots of hills. Then I decided to climb Everest, because I like climbing things. So I climbed Everest too. It was very cold and very hard, but I did it all by myself and with no help from anyone else :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

I've managed to track down a sample chapter:

I'm just going to go ahead and believe it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

I Took Everest Off My Bucket List, But That Doesn't Mean Everyone Should
It's not a death wish, it's a life wish.

Five years ago, while attempting to climb the North Col of Everest, I thought I might die.

Alone in my tiny yellow tent at Advance Base Camp, surrounded by ice-blue cliffs in the shadow of the world's highest mountain, I spent three nights too frightened to sleep, needing every ounce of my will to breathe.

I contemplated death as I sat propped against my backpack while roaring wind gusts sent shards of ice tumbling onto my artic sleeping bag. Thoughts of my nine, 16 and 18-year-old kids kept me focused. I forced the thin air into my lungs with all my might. Every breath was life. I knew if I could survive the night, I'd be okay. The night always brings the greatest fear.

I can't imagine what it was like for 34-year-old Aussie doctor Maria Strydom, who died on Saturday after failing to reach the summit of Everest. But the grief her husband felt as he held her in his arms couldn't have been worse.

Her death has reignited an Everest debate that strikes at the heart of all extreme sports. Of course, what has happened to Maria is devastating, for her family, friends and loved ones. But did she die doing something she loved knowing the risks involved? Yes.

Dangerous sports such as sky diving, bull riding, luging, mountaineering, rock fishing and scuba diving can kill you. Dangerous sports can also give you an exciting, exhilarating life, a high unmatched by drugs and other addictive activities.

n spite of the known risks, around 800 people attempt Everest annually. 50 percent summit and around one percent die. They climb it to test themselves in nature, to feel the exhilaration that comes from overcoming a huge challenge in the wilderness, to motivate themselves to stay strong and fit and to overcome fear. As Sir Edmund Hillary famously said: "It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

Of course, my kids never wanted me to go. But this climb was part of a team Seven Summits challenge. I'd been training for it for 10 years. I was totally consumed preparing my gear, my body and mind for the extreme adventure. I was keen to inspire other over fifties mums to achieve extraordinary goals that motivate them to stay healthy and strong.

My 16-year-old daughter was almost hysterical when I boarded the plane. She knew it was dangerous and she said I was mad. I told her I could manage the risk. I cited statistics, explaining that it was more dangerous riding my bike down to the local shops on a busy road.

Fortunately, I didn't die that night. The team doctor said I had altitude sickness and insisted a Sherpa guide take me down to Base Camp immediately. But that experience scared me into removing Everest from my list of motherly self-care activities.

But should we stop hundreds of fit, amateur mountaineers from spending around $50,000 each on their Everest dreams and endangering their own and their Sherpa guide's lives?

Famous Australian mountaineer, Lincoln Hall, 'died' on Everest in 2010, was rescued, came back to life and died from mesothelioma a few years later. I imagine he was thrilled to have experienced a lifelong dream, but it would have been hell for his wife and children.

Lincoln's friend and fellow Everest summiteer, Cheryl Bart, says: "When people ask me if I have a death wish, I say 'No, I have a life wish'."

The Everest trekking trade brings money to the Himalaya. The villages above Lukla where the adventurers start their trek are wealthy by local standards. By contrast, those villages below Lukla are dirt poor, few kids get an education and they rely on western aid to survive.

The Australian Himalayan Foundation, which provides millions of dollars for education in Nepal, is run by Everest summiteers. Standing on heaven's doorstep on top of the world drives you to join a community devoted to helping the local people.

When I climbed to the summit of Mt Ama Dablam (6,812 metres), in the Everest region, I was guided by an extraordinary 21-year-old, Tensing Sherpa. He was strong, resilient, kind, generous and wise beyond his years. Climbing Everest gave him a career and made him a local hero.

Climbing Everest isn't everybody's cup of chai. But it symbolises one of life's great adventures and it sure beats the hell out of joining the almost 40 million people who die of noncommunicable diseases every year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/di-westaway/i-took-everest-off-my-bucket-list/

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This reminded me of why I stopped halfway into reading "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen. He went to Nepal in the early '70s ostensibly in pursuit of the snow leopard, and spends the narrative talking about finding oneself and Buddhism and being caring and loving the world and seeking happiness...and never seeming to find it. Oh, and occasionally mentioned how he left behind a family that included an 8-year-old son who was very upset to see him go to Nepal instead of being with him. But enough of a son who loves me, here's five pages describing plants in this valley and how awful it is that nobody seems to care about others anymore.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are all sherpas called Sherpa ? Is it a cool consanguinity quirk ?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are all sherpas called Sherpa ? Is it a cool consanguinity quirk ?

sherpa culture doesn't have last names and the government didn't like that so they all have the last name sherpa now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EngineerJoe posted:

News Flash: It's cold on Everest!

My last words will be in this lovely mspaint comic sans handwriting

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 25, 2016

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Lincoln's friend and fellow Everest summiteer, Cheryl Bart, says: "When people ask me if I have a death wish, I say 'No, I have a life wish'."

gently caress off.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Tuxedo Gin posted:

sherpa culture doesn't have last names and the government didn't like that so they all have the last name sherpa now

I can't tell if you're joking or not. For real?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

my bucket list includes leaving a quarter ton of waste on a giant freezing rock

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

sincx posted:

for real

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have a life wish which is why I climb a mountain that literally has an area called "The Death Zone."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress you kids id rather freeze to death on poo poo mountain rather than put $50k towards your college education and raise you

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My life wish is to not die on Everest, it's too trendy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jumpingmanjim posted:

"Of course, what has happened to Maria is devastating, for her family, friends and loved ones. But did she die doing something she loved knowing the risks involved? Yes. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/di-westaway/i-took-everest-off-my-bucket-list/

The dumb bitch died because she literally wanted to "prove that vegans can do anything". If she loved doing that enough to risk dying for and putting friends and family through this, she got exactly what she deserved.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know I wont be the first but I'm gonna jack it up and down the mountain and leave it jizz capped

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I know I wont be the first but I'm gonna jack it up and down the mountain and leave it jizz capped

wanna bust a nut at the highest point while staring a sherpa directly in the eye

how much does that travel package cost

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wanna bust a nut at the highest point while staring a sherpa directly in the eye

how much does that travel package cost

you probably start with the cheapest poo poo tier travel company and then that costs you extra. Lol if you dont play stare chicken with everyone while you give their boots permaglaciers

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

you probably start with the cheapest poo poo tier travel company and then that costs you extra. Lol if you dont play stare chicken with everyone while you give their boots permaglaciers

wanna make sure i aim towards base camp when i start my cumvalance

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
ok this thread just got weird

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"got"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wanna make sure i aim towards base camp when i start my cumvalance

Baste camp

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Jizz all the way to the top then use the frozen cumslide to get back to basecamp

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Seven Streaks on Seven Peaks: The Real Mile High Club

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
death

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Oh, cool, the Everest thread is about cum now

No cum til I see dead Americans :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sincx posted:

where did you think names like Smith and Cooper came from?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I am so happy to see Sir Edmund get caught up in the political word filter.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like when people talk about Everest as the only place to go to really live, to really push yourself, to have a life worth living. Hello idiots, there are thousands of things to do and places to go that will not kill you and will challenge you significantly more than walking up the side of a big rock. It's just bullshit justifying narcissism. All that effort and money and time could be spent helping the world and becoming a better person, and instead you want to sleep in shitsnow.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Except Tenzing Norgay.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

it sure beats the hell out of joining the almost 40 million people who die of noncommunicable diseases every year.

Everest prevents cancer, news at 11.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Annual Everest Thread 2017: a 'Once-in-a-lifetime' experience for all the wrong reasons!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Annual Everest Thread 2017: Evidence that vegans die like everybody else

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

My 16-year-old daughter was almost hysterical when I boarded the plane. She knew it was dangerous and she said I was mad. I told her I could manage the risk. I cited statistics, explaining that it was more dangerous riding my bike down to the local shops on a busy road.

Boy howdy is this lady bad at math. A 1% chance of death every time you get onto a bicycle! LOL

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

All of us know at least dozens of friends who have died after leaving for a pack of smokes. The gutters are overflowing with the twisted metal wreckage of a thousand crushed bicycles. There is no god here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jimmy's body is too close to the 7/11 so it would be way too risky to try to recover.