Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

I watched your long play of the game. While it isn't the worst looking game in the world, visually its a mess. For example it took me three minutes in real time before I could tell that their were sprite characters that were holding shields and and a weapon. Let that sink in for a second, the prime character aesthetic in the game "2D character sprites with 3D enviornments" wasn't just lost in translation, but immediately unknown.

There are a few reasons to this:

The first thing is the color. The weapons and especially characters don't look much different from the general environment. The characters you played as in the game are a mix of gray, black, purple, and brown. The environment is full of gray, black, purple, and brown. This results in things being very difficult to make out when playing. The same goes for the character's weapons and shields.

The second is the animation. The weapons and shields do have something the characters don't, that makes them a little more recognizable, which is that they animate somewhat. In contrast the character sprite which hardly animate at all. I get that sprite animation is more difficult to do than 3D, but this doesn't really apply for low resolution pixel art. I managed to create more animations for more detailed characters by myself in like an hour. There is not reason why there should be such a lack of animation frames. I mean the characters don't even have different animation when they travel diagonally up as opposed to diagonally down. This doesn't just go for the sprites however, the animations for many weapons, especially the bow, are very sudden and choppy. They are pretty difficult to read.

The final reason is design. Take a look at the first characters you two plays as in the longplay. They don't have faces but helmets with holes in them. This makes it pretty difficult to tell where they are facing. Add in the lack of animations and that their color blends in with the surroundings and its no wonder I couldn't see the characters at first. There are also some weapons and shields that just make things confusing. That back shield is an ideal example of this, it is very difficult just to tell what that is at first. And even when you know what it is it is still off. But this confusion just doesn't happen during gameplay, it happens in the menu too. I mean I couldn't even tell what I was looking at at first.

Not to sound harsh, just being honest. I will be at Combobreaker so I'll try it out there.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hmm people are giving me honest feedback on my game time to call them mean and peace out

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anothergod posted:

Harsh crowd! I'm going to hide in my computer hole until Combo Breaker now! Laaaters.

I know it totally sucks to put a lot of work into something and then have people tell you that it's not there yet, but if you can, try to find value in what you're hearing now. After release, people won't give you reasoned and tactful feedback, they just won't buy the game.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched your long play of the game. While it isn't the worst looking game in the world, visually its a mess. For example it took me three minutes in real time before I could tell that their were sprite characters that were holding shields and and a weapon. Let that sink in for a second, the prime character aesthetic in the game "2D character sprites with 3D enviornments" wasn't just lost in translation, but immediately unknown.

There are a few reasons to this:

The first thing is the color. The weapons and especially characters don't look much different from the general environment. The characters you played as in the game are a mix of gray, black, purple, and brown. The environment is full of gray, black, purple, and brown. This results in things being very difficult to make out when playing. The same goes for the character's weapons and shields.

The second is the animation. The weapons and shields do have something the characters don't, that makes them a little more recognizable, which is that they animate somewhat. In contrast the character sprite which hardly animate at all. I get that sprite animation is more difficult to do than 3D, but this doesn't really apply for low resolution pixel art. I managed to create more animations for more detailed characters by myself in like an hour. There is not reason why there should be such a lack of animation frames. I mean the characters don't even have different animation when they travel diagonally up as opposed to diagonally down. This doesn't just go for the sprites however, the animations for many weapons, especially the bow, are very sudden and choppy. They are pretty difficult to read.

The final reason is design. Take a look at the first characters you two plays as in the longplay. They don't have faces but helmets with holes in them. This makes it pretty difficult to tell where they are facing. Add in the lack of animations and that their color blends in with the surroundings and its no wonder I couldn't see the characters at first. There are also some weapons and shields that just make things confusing. That back shield is an ideal example of this, it is very difficult just to tell what that is at first. And even when you know what it is it is still off. But this confusion just doesn't happen during gameplay, it happens in the menu too. I mean I couldn't even tell what I was looking at at first.

Not to sound harsh, just being honest. I will be at Combobreaker so I'll try it out there.

none of it is sprites lmbo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i watched some of the long play (again) and i realized that the players were indeed selecting a ton of options for their characters and that none of it seemed to make any meaningful difference at all

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

NecroMonster posted:

none of it is sprites lmbo
Look again, the characters are. You even see them in the equipment select screen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

oh my god they are why aren't they just 3d like the rest of it why any of this

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Koihime Enbu is cool, death to anime.

this man has seen the light

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I can only afford to buy one anime fighting game this week and it's going to be Overwatch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Just smashed buttons in story mode so far and it seems like it could be neat. Thanks Steam, for having these weird poo poo I keep buying!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

anothergod posted:

Harsh crowd! I'm going to hide in my computer hole until Combo Breaker now! Laaaters.

I was on the fence before, but I'm annoyed after reading this. You're too thin-skinned to be showing this game to people if this is your reaction to some extremely constructive criticism.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
sorry, about your bad game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I will stain my hands with ur butt

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Someone call the ghostbusters -- Geese's here again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Saoshyant posted:

Someone call the ghostbusters -- Geese's here again.

Geese being a ghost makes a lot of sense. Like Iori's two sexy doms that are haunting his butt.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arc System Works And Its Fighting Game Legacy, It's All About The Cool posted:

Daisuke’s choice was very specific and came down to a unique game system. “I would certainly say my favorite fighting game of all time is Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. Of course all the games that Mori mentioned as well, I have also spent a lot of money on those games in the arcades. However, there are certain elements that I can pinpoint in 3rd Strike that really drew me to it, which is the system. It’s very simple, the animation is high quality and it looks beautiful. In terms of a game and the way it has been packaged and delivered it’s really of a very high standard. The other element, whether you call this a fault or a benefit, I find it very interesting is the parrying system. What makes this system so insane is the fact that if done, the person who performed that will have a 100% advantage by nature of the way the game was designed. Given that we now enter a new realm which is the element of actual execution and most fighting games players will play within the realm of what they feel comfortable executing. You could say that most fighting games are designed around that. Most aspects, combos, elements or whatever it is in the fighting game is designed to be executed but I feel that the parry system is so difficult, although it is 100% advantageous, it is so difficult that has almost been worked into the risk/reward balance of the game itself. There is an element of beauty to the fact that there is a system right there that will give you the advantage but the execution and the risk that you have to spend to reap the rewards that makes the overall balance so amazing. They didn’t leave the game systems and balance within the realm of the game itself but actually brought in the physical factor into it. I think that is why Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike is my fighting game.”

daisuke ishiwatari is a 3s mystic
pack it up folks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Daisuke drew Yun & Yang for one of the SF anniversary art books, he probably knows the Gennei Jin irl

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

One day you will all see the light, I just pray it isn't too late for you to enjoy the world of street fighter 3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the last blade 2 theme hosed up and put the boring picture on the main screen and the cool one up above on the options row.

tiny little angry dude hugging a dead person in an ocean of offwhite/beige is not getting me pumped

edit: the mp connection i got with a couple people was good. now to figure out wtf i'm doing

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 24, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So I went full Anime and got roped into playing some Melty Blood today. After reading online that she does "real loli damage" and discovering that she has THE MOST DEVASTATING MOVE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW I decided to try my hand at f-Miyako. Anything I should know? I know literally no combos and haven't done any training mode, I just learned to spam her air B.

Baby Melty questions: when should I be looking to hold E and go super saiyan? I don't know much about Max mode other than when I activate it I start spamming my EX moves and whiff everything because I'm bad.

What should I be doing with the D button with a full moon character? It scares me. I heard that if you time it right, block something with it and then 236D you hit them with some special counter but I just avoided it in favor of blocking because I don't trust myself to make any reads yet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A.o.D. posted:

man, can you imagine a deathmatch version of devil daggers?

I ask because I cant.

Two-player limit, both on their own level (with a little PIP window showing the other guy's screen). Killing an enemy spawns it on your opponent's level; first one to die loses the round, best 2 of 3.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

So I went full Anime and got roped into playing some Melty Blood today. After reading online that she does "real loli damage" and discovering that she has THE MOST DEVASTATING MOVE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT HISTORY THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW I decided to try my hand at f-Miyako. Anything I should know? I know literally no combos and haven't done any training mode, I just learned to spam her air B.

Baby Melty questions: when should I be looking to hold E and go super saiyan? I don't know much about Max mode other than when I activate it I start spamming my EX moves and whiff everything because I'm bad.

What should I be doing with the D button with a full moon character? It scares me. I heard that if you time it right, block something with it and then 236D you hit them with some special counter but I just avoided it in favor of blocking because I don't trust myself to make any reads yet.

I don't know poo poo about F-Miyako, but I dunno, she's a stupid gimmicky mixup rear end in a top hat that also deals a lot of damage if she gets you so...Mizuumi has more info on her, but you probably read up on it already.

Charge if they give you time to charge, I suppose, F-Aoko gets a bunch of opportunities compared to faster characters. MAX gives you infinite meter AND the ability to enter BLOOD HEAT, which is like HEAT, but bloodier. It restores your health and stops the timer, so use it to eat up time and get back your bearings. Hitting MAX also lets you burst by pressing E! Also you get to rapid cancel poo poo by pressing E.

Shielding in Full Moon is like a parry you can hold. It's throwable and it spends your guard meter tho, so be careful with it. It's a read tool, and yeah, you can follow it with a Shield Counter, which gives you a combo. Think parry/riposte.

For extra reference on this fuckin' arcane game systems, go to http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Melty_Blood/Circuit_Meter , http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Melty_Blood/Moons and http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Melty_Blood/Glossary

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Two-player limit, both on their own level (with a little PIP window showing the other guy's screen). Killing an enemy spawns it on your opponent's level; first one to die loses the round, best 2 of 3.

Ah, the puzzle fighter model.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

:eyepop:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

quote:

Also, in MAX heat mode, almost all normals and certain special moves (all EX-cancellable moves?), including air moves, can be cancelled on hit or block by doing an Initiative HEAT, which is performed by pressing A+B+C during cancellable frames. Additionally, any normal or special move that can be EX cancelled on whiff can also be IH'd even on whiff. Kind of like a GG or BB Roman/Rapid Cancel, but on top of cancelling the attack Initiative HEAT also puts your character in HEAT mode. IH is similar to Crescent HEAT, but like Full Moon BLOOD HEAT it instantly refills all red health and does not stop the timer.
Dear god. I am not prepared for melty

EDIT:

quote:

Shield: Cannot EX Shield, but can normal (held) Shield. Upon a successful Shield, your character can cancel into a special (including EX), activate Initiative Heat, or perform a Shield Counter by inputting 236D. Shield Counter can be cancelled into a special move. Shield Counters can only be cancelled into normals if you tap Shield into Shield Counter instead of holding it.

New to Current Code, for Crescent Moon only, in HEAT, characters have a 1.07 additional damage modifier and a 0.9 additional defence modifier. In BLOOD HEAT, characters have a 1.13 additional damage modifier and an additional 0.85 defence modifier.

quote:

Contents
1 Meter Management
1.1 How do I build meter?
1.2 What's Heat?
1.3 What's Heat Activation?
1.4 What's MAX mode?
1.5 What's Blood Heat?
1.6 What's Auto Heat?
1.7 What's Circuit Charge?
2 Uses of Meter
2.1 What's an EX move?
2.2 What's an Arc Drive?
2.3 What's a Last Arc?
2.4 What's a Circuit Spark?
2.5 Is Halfmoon auto spark really automatic?
2.6 What's an Initiative Heat?
2.7 What's a Shield Bunker?
2.8 How are Half Moon Shield Bunkers different?
:captainpop:

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 25, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

can't wait to unleash Heat Activation and perform Half Moon Shield Bunker setups in BLOOD HEAT mode with 1.13 additional damage modifier (Current Code only)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing Last Blade 2 on the PS4 version and it's rad. The game is great but a lot of the menus and additions around the rerelease are pretty lackluster and bare bones. The netcode is solid when you can match against someone with good ping though and I've been having fun getting my rear end handed to me by people who actually played this game sometime in the last two decades

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

LB2 is real good and real fun, and also very strange sometimes balance wise. IIRC one of Lee's BnB's is c.lk into his special that looks similiar to SF2 Feilong's chicken wings kick but repeats 3 times, its really easy to perform and confirm into requires no meter and does almost 50% damage.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Okina can combo into a command throw on block and has a turtle friend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In my limited experience it seems like everybody has a meter less combo that does 35 to 50% which is cool. Everything is dangerous

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hell even some (slow, risky) normals can do like 25%+ damage if you're in Power mode.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
You can ignore most of those systems until you get a little more comfortable with playing the game

Like many other anime games, the resources for melty are much better than what you'd normally get for a street fighter game so you can take it at your own pace

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly when you lay it all out like that it sounds pretty bad but like 80% of those things in the glossary are just about meter, and the meter in mb is something you can figure out with five minutes of play

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

You also don't have to worry about HEAT activation in Full Moon; it happens automatically when your meter tops out. E in Full Moon just does a meter charge.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bisse posted:

Dear god. I am not prepared for melty

EDIT:

:captainpop:

Seems very simple, just like Skullgirls

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Seems very simple, just like Skullgirls

Savage

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
For the two weeks we played Melty I just jumped around with a good normal into the same bnb that every char in the game can do and it worked reasonably well.

Basically what I'm saying is it's an anime game so who cares about the mechanics

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
melty in practice is user friendly and fun

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

melty has red arc and neco chaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dias posted:

I don't know poo poo about F-Miyako, but I dunno, she's a stupid gimmicky mixup rear end in a top hat that also deals a lot of damage if she gets you so

This is extremely my poo poo