Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
override367
Apr 29, 2013
The audio app fusco used is obviously created by Samaritan explaining it's whiz bang magical capabilities, just like every other piece of consumer software in the POI universe at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hollismason posted:

I think that Samaritan kind of hosed up because all it really did was give Shaw 7000 simulations of how to murder/escape/cause havoc. So basically she's just been in a prison escape and murder simulator for a full year. That's kind of crazy.

Oh-ho, a year? Let's say the average simulation was 2.5 days and she ran 7,000 simulations flat.

That's 17,500 days, or, ~50 years.

Shaw should be insane and also the Lance Armstrong of killing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Both of those statements seem correct.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Been too long since Bear got to show off, so that was a nice moment.

Also seriously showing how ridiculously powerful an ASI with unlimited access is. What is it now, all modern computer/phone devices, DNA database for a good chunk of the US. I'm guessing it's planning on causing a catastrophic event so humanity turns to it to 'protect us from ourselves'.

By this point I'd have expected Fusco to have been read in, less of the repeated 'the machine loses every simulation against Samaritan' and at least some more involved Root vs Finch 'we need to unlock the machine so it can fight for herself' arguments.

With 5 episodes to go they're going to have to cram a lot in, especially as they're still doing the numbers, though i'll guess that will stop for the last two.

Alas I doubt the last scene will be Bear biting through Samaritan's power cable and then heading off for the Bear & Sameen spin off series, together they fight crime and eat junk food.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2016

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Accretionist posted:

Oh-ho, a year? Let's say the average simulation was 2.5 days and she ran 7,000 simulations flat.

She was before the simulations started.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PST posted:

Also seriously showing how ridiculously powerful an ASI with unlimited access is. What is it now, all modern computer/phone devices, DNA database for a good chunk of the US. I'm guessing it's planning on causing a catastrophic event so humanity turns to it to 'protect us from ourselves'.

Every deity needs a good calamity.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

Or simply figuring out a way to get humanity down to a more 'manageable' level.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Person of Interest: Stripper Security - We're wherever people need us to be

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

JossiRossi posted:

I can understand them not wanting to tell Fusco. It is the difference between him bumbling into danger, and having a crosshair on his forehead. Samaritan has been very good at working out if someone knows about it.

I don't know, at this point he's just actively walking into/investigating Samaritan stuff and he's at risk to get assassinated without Team Machine even knowing what is going on since they've alienated him so much. If they'd just take him down in the subway and read him in on what is going on, he could keep up his cop cover same as John is doing and bring any Samaritan related stuff to the team rather than getting his fingers all in it alone. Like it made sense to keep him in the dark up until now, but once he's basically investigating Samaritan and divorcing himself from the group, it's probably time to bring him in.

override367 posted:

The audio app fusco used is obviously created by Samaritan explaining it's whiz bang magical capabilities, just like every other piece of consumer software in the POI universe at this point

This is basically what I assumed, especially since the title bar had it listed as some sort of special NYPD program. Seems like a Samaritan thing dumbed down to be point and click for the cops (and probably letting Samaritan listen in).

I just got caught up last night in a marathon from episode 4 to current, and man this show is good :unsmith: I missed Shaw.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

The simulations don't really work timewise unless they're under Inception rules where they're time accelerated from the person's point of view.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm worried. In that last Samaritan POV shot of Shaw going to the jeep, her tracking halo was clear with no red triangle or crosshair. This escape isn't considered "deviant."

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm worried. In that last Samaritan POV shot of Shaw going to the jeep, her tracking halo was clear with no red triangle or crosshair. This escape isn't considered "deviant."

I guess it's because she hasn't figured out that she's not in a simulation yet?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, let's nip this in the bud before we start losing our minds. Shaw has escaped. For real. Samaritan didn't identify her on her way out the door because it didn't have a clear view of her skull, much less her face -- she wore a thick army helmet that disguised her from the cameras. Go look at the episode again, or better yet,

That's one quick shot to establish that Samaritan didn't have a clear visual of Shaw walking out the door. Why not five? Because it's a one-hour show and the name of the game is "movement."

Also, we know she's not in a simulation because when she turned on the radio, a news report recapped the events of the episode. A Samaritan simulation wouldn't bother with that because why the gently caress should it? That would mean fewer resources devoted to convincing Shaw to turn on her friends.

Now, Shaw probably can't be sure she's still in a simulation, and despite the fatalistic attitude that allowed her to gloriously gently caress Lambert in the end, that may still come up as a point of drama. Nor can we assume that Team Samaritan has no Plan B in case Shaw escapes, however hard they tried to keep her locked away. But for now, "WATCH OUT! A COMPACT PERSIAN SOCIOPATH IS COMING BACK TO COLLECT SOME DUES!"

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
What was the coded radio/printer message Root gave to Shaw?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

stoops posted:

"Four-alarm fire" is a reference to If-Then-Else, where Shaw tells Root that they'd be like a "four-alarm fire in an oil refinery."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

stoops posted:

Four alarm fire, a reference to this exchange in If-then-else

Root: [to Shaw as they are leaning close together against a wall, firing their weapons and covering the others' escape] We're so good at this together. You're gonna realize that someday.
Sameen Shaw: [as they move together down the hall after the others, firing] Root. No offense. You're hot. You're good with a gun. Those are two qualities I greatly admire. But, you and me together would be like a four alarm fire at an oil refinery.
Root: Sounds cozy.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Is Shaw's original blindspot cover still effective? Now that Samaritan has lost manual track of her she can just disappear into the crowd again, right?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ShakeZula posted:

Is Shaw's original blindspot cover still effective? Now that Samaritan has lost manual track of her she can just disappear into the crowd again, right?

Her setup isn't like Root's, once it was burned, it was done. Samaritan has that blindspot ID marked as deviant.

Actually, something I noticed. The machine tags people based on threat, knowledge, and stuff like admin or asset. Samaritan's only special markers are threat and asset. Greer just has Primary instead of an asset number. Really cool way of showing the difference in how they see people.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Accretionist posted:

Id watch the poo poo out of Shaw's Groundhog Day.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why the hell Reese and Finch was so indignant about Max exercising his free will. Free will is one of the underlying principals of how The Machine works, hence the numbers program compared to Sammy's "Open" system. The Team did exercise their free will when The Machine gave the senator's number not to protect but kill to slow down/stop Sammy. The mission was real, they did save his life, he just choose not to be saved. It mirror's Shaw's escape where the prisoner chooses to stay behind at additional risk to save his friends.

Shaw is literally :black101:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

Her setup isn't like Root's, once it was burned, it was done. Samaritan has that blindspot ID marked as deviant.

If I remember right Samaritan can't actually see the group; the facial recognition doesn't work and it manually tracks them from positions called in or through other factors (clothing, the gun Root steals from the cop in the intro episode, things spoken that hit keywords Samaritan is looking for)

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
If I had to guess how the show ends, Harold programs the machine to start using the numbers thy helped, and the show fades to black with the baby machine starting to beat the baby samaritan when the machine is allowed to leverage all of the people it helped over the years.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right Samaritan can't actually see the group; the facial recognition doesn't work and it manually tracks them from positions called in or through other factors (clothing, the gun Root steals from the cop in the intro episode, things spoken that hit keywords Samaritan is looking for)

Yeah, it was a thing last year that Samaritan couldn't identify Shaw even after Martine pointed her out. Whether that's still the case, and whether or not Samaritan's developed other means of tracking Shaw, who knows?

On an unrelated note, Samaritan's creepy speaker voice in the radio episode was like a thousand times better than anything involving that kid.

Borachon posted:

If I had to guess how the show ends, Harold programs the machine to start using the numbers thy helped, and the show fades to black with the baby machine starting to beat the baby samaritan when the machine is allowed to leverage all of the people it helped over the years.

I don't know if it'll be quite that straightforward, but I absolutely believe that the Machine's focus on free will and saving individuals vs Samaritan's theory of top-down control and sacrificing a few for the sake of many will be critical to how things play out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

docbeard posted:

On an unrelated note, Samaritan's creepy speaker voice in the radio episode was like a thousand times better than anything involving that kid.

I'm not fond of anything in general involving the AIs talking directly to humans. It just reeks of cheesy sci-fi.
I prefer their status as techno-deities, being aloof from the lowly humans and communicating with them in mysterious ways.

But yeah, I don't know how they looked at the scene involving that kid the first time and decided not only that it deserved to make the cut, but that they should also revisit it at a later time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Samaritans vaccine ended up being used to kill off swaths of the population. I'm kinda expecting that with the vaccines. Using it to engineering viruses to target unwanted groups, demographics, or going full FOX DIE and using it to kill specific people.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Spoilers for the finale:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Spoilers for the finale:

I'm amazed that this isn't an XKCD.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It was really loving crazy when Samaritan spoke to Root through the speaker that was such a pants making GBS threads moment.

Goddamn this season has been firing on all cylinders, they even got the goofy episode with the wedding.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

SpookyLizard posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Samaritans vaccine ended up being used to kill off swaths of the population. I'm kinda expecting that with the vaccines. Using it to engineering viruses to target unwanted groups, demographics, or going full FOX DIE and using it to kill specific people.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Samaritan cooked up something similar to the Utopia (UK) plotline, where (rough spoilers from memory I guess for people who haven't seen the show) the government engineers a vaccine for the Russian flu that also renders whole sections of the population infertile in order to control pop growth and avert future disasters.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Buzzfeed just posted an interview with Greg and Jonah about how the cancellation was handled and holy poo poo gently caress CBS so hard.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/the-triumphant-rise-and-mysterious-fall-of-person-of-interes?utm_term=.usJpbJb5m#.nqdl171Gm

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

Buzzfeed just posted an interview with Greg and Jonah about how the cancellation was handled and holy poo poo gently caress CBS so hard.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/the-triumphant-rise-and-mysterious-fall-of-person-of-interes?utm_term=.usJpbJb5m#.nqdl171Gm

There's a lot of reasons to say that these days.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

This line from the article sounds dire...

Spoilered just in case: “Without getting into specifics of the way the storytelling works, when we submitted certain final episodes and they did not draw a note, that was when we knew that we had taken the right course of action,” Nolan said.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the fact that they had to go behind CBS's back to announce it was the final season is loving mind boggling. How do you mismanage this poo poo that badly.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know what, I was kind of curious about Training Day, but nope. Even if it turns out good, CBS would just gently caress it up. I'm done with them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

How do you mismanage this poo poo that badly.

By being the #1 network in America.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress CBS so hard. The hell is wrong with you?!

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it was a thing last year that Samaritan couldn't identify Shaw even after Martine pointed her out. Whether that's still the case, and whether or not Samaritan's developed other means of tracking Shaw, who knows?

Shaw blew her cover with Samaritan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDD_StJ85Ok). Shaw, Reese, and Finch only have one cover identity and Samaritan can tag those identities with deviant behavior. It's why Reese has to wear a mask sometimes when he's going to be in a place with cameras doing Irrelevant ops.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

CBS is the fuckin worst

We are so lucky that the guys on POI were savvy enough to just go for it and make a firm ending rather than holding out hope for a renewal like some other shows have done in the past

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 27, 2016

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish it could've continued on Netflix though. That must be why CBS never announced it, just another gently caress you to the fans.

I'd watch the poo poo out of a similar show if WB sold one to Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was under the impression that Taraji P. Henson left the show at her own request, and wasn't fired like the comments indicate. I wasn't a huge fan of her character, but given how bad Empire had become this season, i wonder if she is regretting leaving.

• Locked thread