Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Che-the-illest of course. Band really digs the man.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Manowar is going on a final farewell tour sometime soon :( I got to see them once at least, I hope they come close so I can make it twice

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Recommend Howls of Ebb instead.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
grand belial's key is only good for their political beliefs

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE

Varg posted:

Manowar is going on a final farewell tour sometime soon :( I got to see them once at least, I hope they come close so I can make it twice

I call bullshit, Manowar will never quit because true metal never dies... or something.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Every time I listen to the new Vektor it just gets better and better. The next thing they make needs way more of the Einstein on the Beach choral stuff.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

pentfixion posted:

I call bullshit, Manowar will never quit because true metal never dies... or something.
hope so, could just be a ploy to super over charge on tickets this time around.

also, tote bags are OUT, coffee is IN!

reasons why we need true metal to stick around

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

grand belial's key is only good for their political beliefs

Nice Dude

pentfixion
May 23, 2016

WULKAMANIA WILL NEVER DIE

Varg posted:

I can't tell if this is worse or just a lateral move from the Deafheaven blanket

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Manowar are awful. Tesseract have nothing to do with metal. And apparently can't even get their name printed on cups properly.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The Clit Avoider posted:

Manowar are awful.

agreed.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Varg posted:

Metalocalypse is a documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFURd_EOIuU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Clit Avoider posted:

Manowar are awful. Tesseract have nothing to do with metal. And apparently can't even get their name printed on cups properly.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

wimps and posers

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Varg posted:

I got one of these at a record shop a while ago: http://therecordexchange.com/infotainment/heres-the-metal-coffee-mug-with-purchase-of-any-of-these-cds/ , it's a toothbrush holder these days.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
If a band isn't based in Seattle or Portland, they have no business having their own line of coffee. loving Brits wouldn't know good coffee if it was dumped on them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Varg posted:

hope so, could just be a ploy to super over charge on tickets this time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqgkg1iZIY

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm liking these guys:

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2016/05/19/an-ncs-premiere-and-a-review-in-twilights-embrace-trembling/

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

A fiend on fb called this the "Magic cards: the band" tour. He's not wrong.

Ed: Spellcaster were actually really loving entertaining.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 26, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like Ross Sewage because he sometimes pops into bands where ridiculous stage names aren't expected (like Ludicra) but be still uses it.

New Zealand band Skuldom have a dude named Faeces Christ, which is really good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Holy gently caress guys new In Morning what the gently caress this is so good

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I thought it was super boring and had really flat production, Kinda disappointed because I dug the last one.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Leavin' for MDF tomorrow night. I'll be the guy with a brown messenger bag(full of sampler cds) with an Aspid patch on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for some bands that do a modern take on classic thrash. clean vocals are a plus. thanks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for some bands that do a modern take on classic thrash. clean vocals are a plus. thanks

There's a ton of re-trash out there but the fad's dying out.

With clean vocals the only thing I can think of is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbksWzAXjcs

Edit: how clean of vocals do you want? Like Tom Araya kinda shouty but not really screaming or like some king diamond epic poo poo because there's always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWTsUfnuOo

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 26, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a ton of re-trash out there but the fad's dying out.

With clean vocals the only thing I can think of is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbksWzAXjcs

Edit: how clean of vocals do you want? Like Tom Araya kinda shouty but not really screaming or like some king diamond epic poo poo because there's always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaWTsUfnuOo

both are fine, i don't really want the death gurgle if you know what i mean.

related: where did the clean vocals go? who took them

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Vindicator
Havok

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 26, 2016

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

The Italian thrashband Game Over's latest album Crimes against reality might be something you would enjoy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's from a couple pages ago, but I'm so excited. I'm just kind of disappointed their only CO show is Denver, since they're from Colorado. Something in the north, where at least Wunder is from, would be a much shorter drive for me.

I hope they do some of the stuff from the albums with the old vocalist. I haven't listened to the new album as much, but Gin is my weightlifting CD.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Klaaz posted:

The Italian thrashband Game Over's latest album Crimes against reality might be something you would enjoy.
Seconding Game Over. Also, Chronosphere.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Smoking Crow posted:

Split Heaven have a new album out called Death Rider that has really been getting it done for me as of late. Viva la Mexico!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYp-V5UL9HQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Smoking Crow posted:

Lost Society have somwehat screamy vocals, they kinda straddle the fence between outright screaming and the shouty kinda thrash vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7cM-H-ky0

Angel of Sodom only have one album out so far, but that album was one of my favourites of last year. Pretty straightforward raspy thrash vocals with some slight growly bits here and there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jfj41sDqY

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Do you guys like Babymetal?

Because today I learned that the reason you dislike them is, at least partially, that they are women of color.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/babymetal-interview-2016

quote:

It also doesn’t hurt that Babymetal—three young, hard-working, talented women of color—are out there packing stadiums and selling boatloads of merchandise in a male-dominated industry that seems rattled by their very existence, as if their detractors are wholly unaware of metal’s long history of experimentation and genre mashing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's not actually what that's saying, but I definitely get your red title now.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

That's not actually what that's saying, but I definitely get you're red title now.

It's precisely what she is saying. She blames the rejection of this band on gender and race issues, instead of simply people rejecting the industrialized, pre packaged nature of the band.

I don't even remember how I got the red title. I'm Latin American, so I'm guessing I just internalized racism, señor.

Varg posted:

I saw them during their Gods of War tour, and I wasn't very satisfied. The setlist only covered that album, so that was lame. I'll definitely try to catch them on their last tour.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 26, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you think that's not a factor in the level of vitriol they receive then you've never interacted with metal fans online.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

If you think that's not a factor in the level of vitriol they receive then you've never interacted with metal fans online.

Oh no, I'm absolutely sure that there are metal fans that look down on female performers. What I'm saying is that the vitriol received by BabyMetal does not seem to come from that reason (at least not for the most part), but rather from their obvious "fake" nature. It's the same vitriol you would get if Justin Bieber decided to release a thrash metal album.

As for metal fans looking down on them for being Japanese, I seriously doubt that would be the case. I'm sure a similar band by all-white performers would get the same hatred.

It's a J-Pop band with a harder sound. The commercial nature of it is what stinks for me. Even that interview notes how many other staff people are around them at all times, supervising everything. The raw and spontaneous elements of metal are completely lost.

BabyMetal are like the Harlem globetrotters. You can like them, but you have to be aware of the fact that they're not an actual basketball team.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

The commercial nature of it is what stinks for me. Even that interview notes how many other staff people are around them at all times, supervising everything. The raw and spontaneous elements of metal are completely lost.

Like 99% of bands with any label or financial backing aren't mostly prepackaged horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

It's a J-Pop band with a harder sound.

to be completely fair this is the case for, oh I dunno, about 40% of japanese metal

comes along bort posted:

Like 99% of bands with any label or financial backing aren't mostly prepackaged horseshit.

no man, nuclear blast band #58348 are totally loving raw and savage you just don't get it you loving elitist