Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

The more cameras the better, cyber punk owns and I don't care who disagrees.

Have you heard of the Oculus Rift? The more cameras you own the better it gets! :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I really wish we could get some details on Magic Leap and Google Glass 2. I'm not even interested in entertainment as much as having a HUD I can input information into and analyze on the go.

Hololens so far has been pretty unimpressive with its small fov and space-visor design.

Guess it'll be another 5 years before consumers get something useful. :smith:

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I really wish we could get some details on Magic Leap and Google Glass 2. I'm not even interested in entertainment as much as having a HUD I can input information into and analyze on the go.

Hololens so far has been pretty unimpressive with its small fov and space-visor design.

Guess it'll be another 5 years before consumers get something useful. :smith:
I'm pretty sure Magic Leap is going to end up being vaporware.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can anyone with a Vive and an Optimus laptop tell me if it's even possible to get an image on the headset that way? I know performance will be a major problem in such a configuration but I'm just thinking about it from the perspective of watching movies while traveling, which should be within the capabilities of even an Intel GPU.

Also what happens if you try to use either one in Linux? Do either of the major headsets even support an "extended mode" anymore where it just shows up as yet another display and leaves all the hard work to the software?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm pretty sure Magic Leap is going to end up being vaporware.

Supposedly it's been demoed to journalists and will make it to Las Vegas this year (CES?). But whether it's more/better than Hololens is the real question.

Only way I could see it being better is if it projected the visuals directly onto your eye without causing permanent eye damage (A man can dream.)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Somebody did an incredibly detailed technical article about the Vive's Lighthouse Tracking:
http://doc-ok.org/?p=1478

It is a very interesting read and I hope one day he can do the same thing with Constellation.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Same guy did a big multipart write-up (with followup here) on how the DK2 handles tracking, and I don't imagine it's changed significantly with the CV1 outside of some hardware differences (camera on the CV1 is higher-res and uses a global rather than rolling shutter, for one). Interesting stuff.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 25, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Another day week without a response from HTC about the Vive they said they shipped me

Ordered on April 8th, pretty frustrating watching people that ordered in vicinity of when HTC said they shipped mine get their Vives. At this point I've pretty much just given up.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Supposedly it's been demoed to journalists and will make it to Las Vegas this year (CES?). But whether it's more/better than Hololens is the real question.

Only way I could see it being better is if it projected the visuals directly onto your eye without causing permanent eye damage (A man can dream.)

IIRC we're basically (if not actually) at the point where we have picolasers/LDs that can do this safely https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_retinal_display#Safety

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jarmak posted:

Another day week without a response from HTC about the Vive they said they shipped me

Ordered on April 8th, pretty frustrating watching people that ordered in vicinity of when HTC said they shipped mine get their Vives. At this point I've pretty much just given up.

This is a stretch, but have you tried reaching out to tech blogs/media? Seems like one of those things where a company treats someone lovely, the story gains traction, and the company bends over backwards to fix it.

edit: If you do this and it works and htc wants to make things right, please have them send me a vive as well, thank you

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Definitely recommend everyone check out the latest version of Minecraft for the Vive. It is really coming along and it works amazingly.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 25, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jarmak posted:

Call customer support again and immediately ask to escalate to supervisor and ask them what's up. Do that every day till they tell you.

Also write some angry tweets @HTC, the bad public press sometimes gets them to wake up.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Definitely recommend everyone check out the latest version of Minecraft for the Vive. It is really coming along and it works amazingly.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4khqe4/update_for_minecraft_vive_edition/

Apparently doesn't work with Forge yet, though he is trying to sort that issue out.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Tomorrow, May 26, bizarre VR social platform AltSpaceVR (altvr.com) is having some kind of live comedy show event between 8-9 PDT. It's free and cross-platform and probably about 90% likely to be a clusterfuck.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Knifegrab posted:

I just looked at a video of that... teleporting is obviously the better movement scheme for room-scale, but is there an option to control it with a gamepad, like the early versions of Minecrift?

Also, this thread seems to be moving pretty slowly. Haven't checked the Vive thread, but I imagine it's mostly shitposting. :P

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I just looked at a video of that... teleporting is obviously the better movement scheme for room-scale, but is there an option to control it with a gamepad, like the early versions of Minecrift?

Also, this thread seems to be moving pretty slowly. Haven't checked the Vive thread, but I imagine it's mostly shitposting. :P

Yeah you can control it with conventional controls as well.

And there are definitely some people trying to poo poo it up. Karma I suppose?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tomorrow, May 26, bizarre VR social platform AltSpaceVR (altvr.com) is having some kind of live comedy show event between 8-9 PDT. It's free and cross-platform and probably about 90% likely to be a clusterfuck.

Reggie Watts is going to be there!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Does anybody own both the Vive and a Gear VR? I'm trying to draw a comparison with regards to resolution.

I tried playing my steam games through Stream Theater on my gear VR and it actually worked quite well (this is the one that puts you in a room with a giant screen for your game).

The only issue is that I was having trouble reading the text and tooltips in the game in the game I was playing, I was trying out Dota 2, but it was severe enough that it would probably affect other games as well.

I'm not sure if this was a side effect of stream theater streaming a lower resolution image to my device or if it was just a factor of the gear VR's resolution being poor and/or lower than something like a Vive/Rift (expected for a first gen VR device priced at $99). I noticed similar things when watching some videos on the netflix app, though not nearly as pronounced.

I'd like to know how the experience compares specifically when playing games in theater mode (assuming that's the one where you just get a big screen with a 2D image). I was planning on picking up a Vive alongside the GTX 1080 sometime in the next year, but that's a lot of :10bux: to drop if the experience is going to be similarly blurry.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fano posted:

Does anybody own both the Vive and a Gear VR? I'm trying to draw a comparison with regards to resolution.

I tried playing my steam games through Stream Theater on my gear VR and it actually worked quite well (this is the one that puts you in a room with a giant screen for your game).

The only issue is that I was having trouble reading the text and tooltips in the game in the game I was playing, I was trying out Dota 2, but it was severe enough that it would probably affect other games as well.

I'm not sure if this was a side effect of stream theater streaming a lower resolution image to my device or if it was just a factor of the gear VR's resolution being poor and/or lower than something like a Vive/Rift (expected for a first gen VR device priced at $99). I noticed similar things when watching some videos on the netflix app, though not nearly as pronounced.

I'd like to know how the experience compares specifically when playing games in theater mode (assuming that's the one where you just get a big screen with a 2D image). I was planning on picking up a Vive alongside the GTX 1080 sometime in the next year, but that's a lot of :10bux: to drop if the experience is going to be similarly blurry.

The resolution of the GearVR is actually higher than that of the Vive/Rift. Its screen is 2560×1440, or 1280x1440 per eye, while for the Vive/Rift it's 1080x1200 per eye. Chromatic aberration and stuff is worse, the sweet spot is relatively small, and you have fewer options for adjustment, but the resolution itself is better.

All that said, I think the Vive is still better than the Gear for doing screen stuff because the optics are better, but in turn the Rift beats the Vive out for that use simply because the sweet spot is much larger, which is a bigger consideration for games that aren't geared towards VR.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well This is interesting

A Xbox One that the Oculus Rift can run on? Interesting.....

Could that be a tiny part of the reason for the "Walled Garden" of the Oculus Store?...... Naaa.

But interesting nevertheless, and a possibly good reason to get the Rift down the line against the PSVR maybe?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://uploadvr.com/samsung-showcases-4k-uhd-display-vr/

Samsung showing off some 5.5" 3840 x 2160 screens (most direct comparison is the note 5 is 5.7" and 2560x1440), apparently refresh rate might be a bit low

Either way, ooo weee.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

This thread was previously 50% shitposts, 40% "where's my shipment", and the remainder was VR news. At least most posts (sans this one) have content now.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Call customer support again and immediately ask to escalate to supervisor and ask them what's up. Do that every day till they tell you.

Also write some angry tweets @HTC, the bad public press sometimes gets them to wake up.

I'm completely out of patience for spending so much of my time trying to get them to do their job, I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with the MA AGO's Consumer Advocacy and Response Division today and on Monday respectively, it will take a little time for those wheels to turn but they should resolve the problem (Looking at the Digital River's complaint history on the BBB there's a poo poo ton of people who were being ignored by customer service for various reasons until the filed a formal complaint with the BBB)

edit: I take that back, 5 minutes of my time is definitely worth publicly shaming HTC, regardless of it gets anything acomplished

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 26, 2016

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

theBeaz posted:

This thread was previously 50% shitposts, 40% "where's my shipment", and the remainder was VR news. At least most posts (sans this one) have content now.

Yeah it's great to read genuine VR discussion again, but I totally don't understand the two thread thing. It seems like it happened solely to placate Knifegrab. I guess as long as he's civil cool but wow what a roundabout way to achieve that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

heh I'm getting old, one of my tweets got liked by some VR Blog but I can't even figure out where you'd even see them on @htc's page

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

KillerMojo posted:

Yeah it's great to read genuine VR discussion again, but I totally don't understand the two thread thing. It seems like it happened solely to placate Knifegrab. I guess as long as he's civil cool but wow what a roundabout way to achieve that.

First off the more we talk about this kind of thing the harder it will be for these threads to actually move on intelligently. I will also try to stop making posts like these.

The other thread exists because there are lots of us who want to just talk about how cool the vive is and bash on Oculus because of what we perceive to be anti-consumer policies. That discussion here led to people losing their minds. I got probated for making a prediction about Oculus adding DRM, locking down their market etc, and that prediction came true. Like another user said we were reading the writing on the wall. But some people had trouble with two things, the style of my posts, I suppose that is fair, but they also felt like by attacking Oculus we were attacking their purchase decisions.

Because some of us feel slighted its kind of nice to bash and rip on the company that is effectively ostracizing us from their market, I think that is a fair thing to want to vent about. For others they might just want to talk about Vive stuff because they own a vive and don't really care about other VR stuff. For whatever reason the two threads exist I think its for the best. We can be critical of Oculus, compare headsets etc in the other thread and people hopefully won't lose their minds in this one. And vice versa as well, I will likely not be posting as much in this thread, something many people want, and when I do it will largely be to link to interesting content or something but not to talk criticism or comparison since that is problematic for some users.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So Reggie Watts is playing in altspace vr tomorrow 8pm pst. Should be interesting to see how that all works out. VR concerts using avatars? I wonder, will have something custom, or will it just be video footage?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kztqy/reggie_watts_performs_in_altspacevr_on_526_and/

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

But interesting nevertheless, and a possibly good reason to get the Rift down the line against the PSVR maybe?

Rather than that I'm hopeful that this will put more pressure on Sony to support PSVR on PC. They've made "we're not ruling it out"-type noises before, which is already pretty unusual by Sony's standards.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Despite the fact that they used to make PCs, Sony has always ignored the PC market.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Despite the fact that they used to make PCs, Sony has always ignored the PC market.

Their tracking tech is well understood enough that it'd be possible for a hobbyist to reverse engineer an OpenVR driver, that's how I see it happening anyway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SwissCM posted:

Their tracking tech is well understood enough that it'd be possible for a hobbyist to reverse engineer an OpenVR driver, that's how I see it happening anyway.

Yep, there are already UE4 and Unity libraries for the Move controllers, PSVR's headset tracking is pretty much the same thing, all that's needed is to bridge the existing work with OpenVR.

https://thp.io/2010/psmove/ seems to be the main project

Looks like Bluetooth pairing is tricky on Windows, but works reliably on other platforms.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
So has anyone had much experience with mobile VR with like Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear etc? For me at the moment it's just that or nothing, I'm not looking at getting a proper one yet. If it's basically a silly gimmick I'll get sick of after 10 minutes, I don't wanna bother shilling out the $100ish+ for it.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

greententacle posted:

So has anyone had much experience with mobile VR with like Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear etc? For me at the moment it's just that or nothing, I'm not looking at getting a proper one yet. If it's basically a silly gimmick I'll get sick of after 10 minutes, I don't wanna bother shilling out the $100ish+ for it.

^^^ For everyone wondering where the market for mobile-powered VR is.

I've heard it's solid in it's current form, as long as you're okay with really simple games and pre-rendered content. The next generation is definitely hot in the works and I'd be surprised if it weren't one of the major differentiators in the next hardware cycle. Grab a gear if you have a Samsung phone now, otherwise sit tight!

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
If you can get a Cardboard kit for $15 or less, I'd say it's worth it just as a preview for what "real" VR will be like. Never tried the Gear VR, but I have a friend who has one and he loves it. He hasn't tried either of the "real" HMDs, for reference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't have to buy a cardboard, there are ways to get free ones. Google was giving out free cardboards back when Star Wars came out. There's currently a kellogs thing where you buy three kellogs products and then send in to get a free cardboard.

https://www.kelloggsfamilyrewards.com/en_US/promotions/captain-america-civil-war-promotion.html

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My Galaxy S6 overheats inside my Gear VR in about 5-10 minutes. When that happens, it stops your game with an overheat warning message. If you ignore it, the phone starts to throttle the GPU and suddenly you are dropping tons of frames inside VR. It isn't fun at all.

The Galaxy S7 contains a heat pipe, and everything I can see online says the overheating problem has been massively improved. Cooler CPU + more RAM + heat pipe results in a much greater VR experience.

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have a Note 5 and it works great and I think it's overheated one time, and I think that was caused by a specific patch that they ended up fixing. I highly recommend it if you have one. S6 I'd be iffy on due to the overheating thing, but it's seriously great for watching TV and stuff and if it's the only VR you have access to it's still pretty great.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Has anyone been working on a PSMove driver for OpenVR? I was just thinking about it and it would be great for anyone with a DK2, CV1 or whatever since the hardware is already available. The controls don't map perfectly to the Vive remote but it's pretty close.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 26, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nalin posted:

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

I've never had any overheating problems with the Note 5. Just to check, you weren't putting the cover over it were you?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Fano posted:

Lemming posted:

The resolution of the GearVR is actually higher than that of the Vive/Rift. Its screen is 2560×1440, or 1280x1440 per eye, while for the Vive/Rift it's 1080x1200 per eye. Chromatic aberration and stuff is worse, the sweet spot is relatively small, and you have fewer options for adjustment, but the resolution itself is better.

All that said, I think the Vive is still better than the Gear for doing screen stuff because the optics are better, but in turn the Rift beats the Vive out for that use simply because the sweet spot is much larger, which is a bigger consideration for games that aren't geared towards VR.
One thing that makes me far more prefer the Gear in terms of optics is that sweet sweet lens adjustment. I'm not talking about IPD, but the actual focus. It's a goddamn lifesaver for subhumans like me without 20/20 vision as you can see crystal clear without the hassle of fitting over glasses or using lenses. It's the perfect Netflix machine when you're in bed and don't want to deal with corrective lens poo poo.

e: Of course that includes the Rift in comparison, as it also lacks that focus slider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

So Reggie Watts is playing in altspace vr tomorrow 8pm pst. Should be interesting to see how that all works out. VR concerts using avatars? I wonder, will have something custom, or will it just be video footage?

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kztqy/reggie_watts_performs_in_altspacevr_on_526_and/
The original Kotaku article which seems to have been corroborated by Polygon: http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched. Just hope this doesn't lead to more consumer-loving.
e: why the gently caress does Kotaku have to have separate region-specific sites