Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just made it back from the corner shop, human feces and dead bodies everywhere I went. Saw the frozen corpse of my neighbour stare back at me from the sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's only one case but it does add credence to my belief that most people who go try to summit Everest have absolutely no idea how actually dangerous it is, because they're totally incapable of understanding the difference between a modest risk (chance of death: 1:10,000) and a high risk (chance of death: 1:100). It's all just heaped into the same category mentally. If skydiving is OK then so is trying to summit Everest, even though the two activities carry very very different levels of actual risk.

It's similar to people who can't really grasp the difference between buying a lottery ticket and buying shares in a penny stock, or the difference between the government spending a hundred million dollars on a food stamp program vs. spending a hundred billion dollars on four airplanes.

e. just in case anyone's wondering, according to the Boston Globe:

quote:

In 2013, there were 3.2 million jumps out of airplanes in the United States, and only 24 people were killed in the process. That’s a death likelihood of about 8 in a million jumps, which is one of the lowest death rates in the sport’s history, according to the US Parachute Association.

So, skydiving: 1:133,333. Everesting: 1:100. Basically the same in most people's mental estimation. Actually more than a thousand times more dangerous.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 25, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
She wasn't wrong about the bicycle ride being more dangerous, she was just talking about the plane ride :smug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I shudder everytime I pass by the body of the guy they dubbed "yellow muffs" after the colour of his handle bar muffs..

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

To be fair if you are heading down to the wrong 7-11 or to any Walmart at midnight, you will find a lot of people who could be mistaken for corpses in fancy dress...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dreddout posted:

Do we bet on our own deaths?

If I ever become rich and insane enough to climb Everest, I drat well expect you goony fucks to bet on whether the mountain takes me.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If I ever become rich and insane enough to climb Everest, I drat well expect you goony fucks to bet on whether the mountain takes me.

I bet you'll be swallowed by a sinkhole.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Sherpa is used to being beat of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But, at least there is symmetry.

a turnip
Jul 22, 2015

by Shine
Annual everest thread 2016 - kicked the bucket list

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cnn has an interview with Dead Vegan's mom who is outraged that a backwoods expedition team could let her daughter die.

"..a life wasted"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/world/everest-deaths-climb-maria-strydom/index.html

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Leperflesh posted:

It's only one case but it does add credence to my belief that most people who go try to summit Everest have absolutely no idea how actually dangerous it is, because they're totally incapable of understanding the difference between a modest risk (chance of death: 1:10,000) and a high risk (chance of death: 1:100). It's all just heaped into the same category mentally. If skydiving is OK then so is trying to summit Everest, even though the two activities carry very very different levels of actual risk.

It's similar to people who can't really grasp the difference between buying a lottery ticket and buying shares in a penny stock, or the difference between the government spending a hundred million dollars on a food stamp program vs. spending a hundred billion dollars on four airplanes.

e. just in case anyone's wondering, according to the Boston Globe:

So, skydiving: 1:133,333. Everesting: 1:100. Basically the same in most people's mental estimation. Actually more than a thousand times more dangerous.
Why do I have the feeling that football has a higher death rate than skydiving?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Because football is an impact sport and skydiving isn't (usually)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The goal of sky diving is so fall out of the sky and not die. The goal of football is to smash the poo poo out of the other team.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Except Tenzing Norgay.

He wasn't Sherpa by ethnicity.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
So the vegan couple was trying to climb the Seven Summits....did they start with Everest? If so, lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Everest was the last one.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

"knew the risks but died doing what they loved"

So, every autoerotic asphyxiation death ever?

At least you aren't blowing $50k and risking some Sherpa's life to accomplish *that*
(in most cases)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Cnn has an interview with Dead Vegan's mom who is outraged that a backwoods expedition team could let her daughter die.

"..a life wasted"

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/world/everest-deaths-climb-maria-strydom/index.html

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a comments section for this. It would be hilarious. If your body fails to cope with the environment you are in, how does the team you have change any of this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tochiazuma posted:

"knew the risks but died doing what they loved"

So, every autoerotic asphyxiation death ever?

At least you aren't blowing $50k and risking some Sherpa's life to accomplish *that*
(in most cases)

David Carradine would be proud.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I hate to seriouspost, but couldn't you like, spend some time in an oyxgen chamber that simulated being at Everest's peak to make sure you didn't just die from altitude? If I understand HAPE and HACE correctly it's less about training and more about "did you win the genetic lottery" so theoretically a couple days in an oxygen chamber would let you know if you're gonna die or not.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ranbo das posted:

I hate to seriouspost, but couldn't you like, spend some time in an oyxgen chamber that simulated being at Everest's peak to make sure you didn't just die from altitude? If I understand HAPE and HACE correctly it's less about training and more about "did you win the genetic lottery" so theoretically a couple days in an oxygen chamber would let you know if you're gonna die or not.

Overachiever alpha brodog climbers will use such a test failure to prove that it's More Challenge and they should climb everest twice now

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ranbo das posted:

Some of the more cadillac climb deals come with hypobaric chamber time just for pretraining, to make the acclimatization at base camp that much simpler.

But you can't really spend 2 months in a hypobaric chamber 24/7, and altitude sickness seems to be an additive stress situation for those vulnerable to it, so sequential days at altitude with no relief can be the killer even if you can hop in a chamber every afternoon and everything checks out fine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
One of these things is not like the others.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

Why do I have the feeling that football has a higher death rate than skydiving?

Even if you include high school and college ball, probably not. But if you throw in former football players who played in the 70s and are now dying prematurely? Then yeah maybe so, but it'd be very hard to get those statistics. And they're suffering from the cumulative effects of years of football, whereas the skydiving statistic is pretty much a 1:1 correlation between a single catastrophically bad jump, and a death. E.g. not many skydivers die due to the build-up of affects from lots of skydiving successfully, I'd think.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

'micromorts' as a unit to express likelihood of death is pretty great.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all fairness that figure uses Everest deaths 1922 to 2012, which ignores the declining death rate.

That doesn't matter much, though, because it's still thousands of times worse than any other activity listed.

I also like the specific citation of traveling 10 miles by bicycle adds 1 micromort, so a ten mile bike ride is about one forty-thousandth of the risk of one Everest ascent attempt. Or, you have to ride your bike 394k miles before you've accumulated the same amount of risk.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You could climb Everest, or you could take 80,000 doses of ecstasy.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zedprime posted:

you could eat 4 million grilled steaks

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Fly Around the world 1560 times

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fly around the world 500 times while on 27000 doses of ecstasy and eating 1.3 million charcoal broiled steaks.

Maybe the Everest climbers are on to something, it certainly seems like the cheapest way to play Russian roullette compared to some of these alternatives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Fly around the world 500 times while on 27000 doses of ecstasy and eating 1.3 million charcoal broiled steaks.

Maybe the Everest climbers are on to something, it certainly seems like the cheapest way to play Russian roullette compared to some of these alternatives.

Actual Russian Roulette: 166,667 micromort with a six‐shooter.

Only Four times more than Everest. Way cheaper.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 25, 2016

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe

zedprime posted:

I'm halfway to the summit

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are all sherpas called Sherpa ? Is it a cool consanguinity quirk ?

A ton of them are named after the days of the week they're born on too, which is why there's so many Phurbas, Tenzings, Pembas, etc.

They use a lot of nicknames.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

climb everest, or smoke for four years.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
1 in 100 is misleading anyway. Every year there are a bunch of super elite pros who are less likely to die, so if you're an amateur, even 1 in 50 would probably be generous.

Like our favorite Asian Canadian lady was probably 1 in 5.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Zo posted:

1 in 100 is misleading anyway. Every year there are a bunch of super elite pros who are less likely to die, so if you're an amateur, even 1 in 50 would probably be generous.

Like our favorite Asian Canadian lady was probably 1 in 5.

Lhakpa Sherpa (the Connecticut housekeeper) is ruining the curve.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Nocheez posted:

Because football is an impact sport and skydiving isn't (usually)?

Leperflesh posted:

Even if you include high school and college ball, probably not. But if you throw in former football players who played in the 70s and are now dying prematurely? Then yeah maybe so, but it'd be very hard to get those statistics. And they're suffering from the cumulative effects of years of football, whereas the skydiving statistic is pretty much a 1:1 correlation between a single catastrophically bad jump, and a death. E.g. not many skydivers die due to the build-up of affects from lots of skydiving successfully, I'd think.
I'm talking about deaths on the field, which are generally considered to be "something has gone horribly wrong" so much like a skydiving accident. I'm sure if early deaths from CTE-induced health issues/suicide are included, it would be worse.

And then include all those deaths in the early days that nearly got the sport banned in America :getin:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

climb everest, or smoke for four years.
whynotboth.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

zedprime posted:

tbh if you use a charcoal grill while on ecstasy on a plane, your chance of dying might be closer to everest