Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

It felt really edgy and very vaguely homophobic IMHO

Homophobic? How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Well it wasn't particularly sympathetic to anyone involved and those are the only two settings available to a modern American consumer of media, so I guess it kind of fits.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bogart posted:

I think it's okay to say there's a bit in Outlast where a crazy tries to cut your genitals off with a table saw so he can gently caress the wound.

I don't know. I really thought Outlast was trying Too Hard in a lot of ways. You know what didn't have any attempted genital mutilation? Alien Isolation. :colbert:

Yeah but the Xenomorph is a symbolic penis monster and in the original Alien movie it looked like it was going to perform genital mutilation on Lambert as a way to kill her. On a related note, it kind of came as a surprise when supplemental materials revealed Lambert was MtF transgendered.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Fortitude posted:

On a related note, it kind of came as a surprise when supplemental materials revealed Lambert was MtF transgendered.
I remember reading that but for the life of me I cannot remember where I read it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I remember reading that but for the life of me I cannot remember where I read it.

Apparently it was in Aliens, when they show the files of the crew of the Nostromo and also again stated in the Alien Legacy DVD set.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Goddamn Alien is the coolest sci-fi property that has had a sprinkling of good stuff on top of total rear end in the past 3 decades. There was a long blog post I read, can't remember where, about the level of detail put into the made-up symbology on the Nostromo's console panels. Somebody's entire job was designing iconography that nobody in a theater in the 70s was capable of studying!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Ehhhh, it's cool they flipped the script and threatened the sexual mutilation of the male protagonist. One mans 'too hard' is anothers 'about time'.

that horror film came out in 1979 about a bunch of space truckers being raped.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

Goddamn Alien is the coolest sci-fi property that has had a sprinkling of good stuff on top of total rear end in the past 3 decades. There was a long blog post I read, can't remember where, about the level of detail put into the made-up symbology on the Nostromo's console panels. Somebody's entire job was designing iconography that nobody in a theater in the 70s was capable of studying!

Not just that, each deck of the Nostromo set was built as one continuous set with connecting corridors and everything, so the cast and crew had to actually walk from location to location within the ship as if it were a real enclosed environment.
Also all the buttons and switches were functional - if the script called for a character to push a button to make something happen, the corresponding button was actually built to do what it was supposed to.

Hell, Ripley's bridge terminal actually has a photo of Jones the cat as a kitten taped to it. The level of detail the set designers went into was insane.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'll always love Alien for many things, but saving the cat because otherwise people thought the movie was too depressing was just awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'll always love Alien for many things, but saving the cat because otherwise people thought the movie was too depressing was just awesome.

As a cat lover I can say that if all my friends were dead, I'd be doing my damndest to at least save my four-footed friend.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

As a cat lover I can say that if all my friends were dead, I'd be doing my damndest to at least save my four-footed friend.

I swear I don't know if it's even true, I dont remember where I heard they added that. You hear so much hearsay about Alien, but it's true in my heart.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

When you think about it, Jones was the luckiest survivor out of all the Alien movies. Hicks, Newt and that specific model of Bishop end up dead or deactivated, Morse is taken back into Weyland Yutani custody and probably subjected to horrible experiments out of spite and Call possibly lands on a ruined Earth with a hybrid Ripley depending on some endings at the end of Resurrection.

Jones though, probably lived to old age and died a happy cat away from any nonsense.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 26, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In my canon, none of the movies past Aliens exist. Ripley and Hicks get married and adopt Newt and Jones and Bishop is their robot butler and they all live happily ever after.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chitoryu12 posted:

In my canon, none of the movies past Aliens exist. Ripley and Hicks get married and adopt Newt and Jones and Bishop is their robot butler and they all live happily ever after.
You mean sorta like this?

https://youtu.be/hoRrZ3WCZD8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

if alien 5 ever gets made hicks is alive in it (since it's going to be a sequel to aliens). too bad the prometheus sequel put it on hold or whatever.

i like how biehn got paid more for his likeness appearing on a screen in alien3 than he did for aliens.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Heads up, Lakeview Cabin Collection's on sale for four bucks this week.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Siren Blood Curse is going to be free on PS+

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree, yay or nay?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Oxenfree, yay or nay?
Yes. They just added a New Game Plus mode that I have yet to play through because I've been playing Witcher 3 Blood and Wine.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Siren Blood Curse is going to be free on PS+

Yaay. I never got to finish it because one of the later Japanese doctor levels was absolute bullshit, but it'll be cool to play it again.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Sakurazuka posted:

Oxenfree, yay or nay?

100% yay.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Clarissa is a straight up bitch so far, so I'm expecting a 'the rear end in a top hat isn't really so bad' moment which, if I'm right, is really cliche and I hope it's done decently at least. I'm like 15 minutes in though nothing creepy yet.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 1, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Clarissa is a straight up bitch so far, so I'm expecting a 'the rear end in a top hat isn't really so bad' moment which, if I'm right, is really cliche and I hope it's done decently at least. I'm like 15 minutes in though nothing creepy yet.

You should play Until Dawn where "The Bitch" rolls hard to the very end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I played through Oxenfree at a friend's and I don't know if I liked it enough to buy just for the new game +. It was fun and all and I know there's different endings but it doesn't feel like it would be fun to replay. Plus I couldn't stand Ren. Dude was a tool.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Oh I did, I wish there had been enough to keep the thread going :(

Emily was my girl tho she didn't take no poo poo from no man

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree seems cool so far, digging the soundtrack and the Picnic At Hanging Rock vibe.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Oxenfree is a lot more "atmospheric spooky" than downright horror, but I found it pretty enjoyable, personally.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So uh Night Drive Studios just released D on GOG with Steam version coming soon (!?)

https://www.gog.com/game/d_the_game

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Basticle posted:

So uh Night Drive Studios just released D on GOG with Steam version coming soon (!?)

Can't wait for D2

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Basticle posted:

First Turok, now this. :psyduck: I guess Night Dive Studios' modus operandi is "We're working on System Shock, and also poo poo you literally never would have expected to get ported ever at any point and that most people haven't even heard of".

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I had D for the Playstation and thought it was neat but kinda bad. One of the reviews on GOG says that the PSX version goes for hundreds of dollars on ebay :psyduck:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Basticle posted:

I had D for the Playstation and thought it was neat but kinda bad. One of the reviews on GOG says that the PSX version goes for hundreds of dollars on ebay :psyduck:

it kind of became a big collector's item after kenji eno had a nervous breakdown during the making of D2 and that story got out

and then it became a bigger collector's item after eno died a few years back

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

exploding mummy posted:

Can't wait for D2

doesn't have a pc verison so prolly not

also it's extremely sad the guy died since he clearly had more he wanted to tell :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

doesn't have a pc verison so prolly not

also it's extremely sad the guy died since he clearly had more he wanted to tell :(

didnt he make 4 games in 20 years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I didn't even know D had a PC version!

Basticle posted:

didnt he make 4 games in 20 years

He was primarily a composer and worked on other stuff as a third party but he basically left video games after D2 in 1999, doing some small composer related work for phone games. I feel like he totally would've been one of the early Japanese designers to jump into Kickstarter and actually make something neat. D is basically the original walking simulator. You have 2 hours to reach the end, there's no real puzzles or anything, I'm not expecting any more out of the player than to soak in the atmosphere.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 3, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Nah Eno had some legit difficulties mentally, he wasn't a nut or anything but there's a ton of co workers who reported that certain days he would just come in and be "off", like he couldn't process or cope that day, and it fed back into stressing him the ever living gently caress out when he would come back the next day and be "on" again because now he was behind and nothing was as he wanted it.

He left video games because the production cycles and all of that were just not good for him, like I said D2 literally gave him a nervous breakdown. If he had jumped on the crowdfunding bandwagon he would've probably been another "great name" who turned out to be totally unable to produce without someone moderating him, which would have stressed him out even worse and look it's very likely that would've been a complete mess

Wikipedia says he died of hypertension so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that little self feeding cycle he had never quite got resolved anyway

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

al-azad posted:

Emily was like the only person I pretty well just let die on purpose and felt entirely good about it, what a heap of shiiiiiit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yardbomb posted:

Emily was like the only person I pretty well just let die on purpose and felt entirely good about it, what a heap of shiiiiiit.

The best part of that was you can shoot her in the head after getting bitten in case she 'turned', then find out almost immediately after that bites don't effect people like that.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Heads up, Lakeview Cabin Collection's on sale for four bucks this week.

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It also has Lakeview 6 (Alien setting primarily this time) in and an epilogue episode (Semi-hidden after beating all the other movies) to round it off now as well.