Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it took me a while before i realised i was thinking of CovertJaguar and that jadedcat actually does the ag skies packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it took me a while before i realised i was thinking of CovertJaguar and that jadedcat actually does the ag skies packs

Wait, they were paid for that?

Like, a full time job writing mod content for a mod provider/repository?

E: also, they were laid off - not fired, it seems

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 25, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Dalaram posted:

Laid off is just fired for reasons outside your control.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 26, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Dalaram posted:

That isn't really more justified. Firing is basically being laid off with cause. Layoffs are more 'oh we decided to have a reduction in force' and other bureaucracy.

I mean people are laid off every day, but if Jaded has a medical condition and moved to CA for that job it's a pretty hosed situation.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fayk posted:

That isn't really more justified. Firing is basically being laid off with cause. Layoffs are more 'oh we decided to have a reduction in force' and other bureaucracy.

I mean people are laid off every day, but if Jaded has a medical condition and moved to CA for that job it's a pretty hosed situation.

If she starts a "goFundMe" or something like that, I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to help.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

SugarAddict posted:

If she starts a "goFundMe" or something like that, I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to help.

You mean like JadedCat's Patreon? :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fayk posted:

So, Curse just did some poo poo - they just fired a couple people, including Jaded
https://twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/735524536079126529

This is me being really surprised:

:|

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

This is me being really surprised:

:|
This.

There's nothing about this that wasn't predictable (or predicted, for that matter).

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

Layoffs are more 'oh we decided to have a reduction in force' and other bureaucracy.

Or they figured out that monetizing the Minecraft modding community is not as easy or profitable as they thought, and reduced staff in that area as a result?

Either way. This is a lovely situation if you moved to a different state for that job and don't have a safety net.

*edit*: So after researching the American safety nets a bit more, I'll jump off the sob-train right here. Apparently there are options.

Gimpanse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 26, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

If you're installing modpacks manually, how do you figure out which Forge version to use if the author doesn't mention it?

It says the forge version in the main menu when you start up MC. Alternatively, guess.

Fayk posted:

Never move to another city for a job without signing a contract first. Also, Curse is infamous for being a super poo poo company, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Fayk posted:

So, Curse just did some poo poo - they just fired a couple people, including Jaded
https://twitter.com/JadedcatWylde/status/735524536079126529

We knew this was going to happen, buy out a big modding scene, then fire everyone a year later. Pretty sure they tried something similar with kakermix and tekkit.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Man nothing saps your will to play like a modpack suddenly breaking for no apparent reason. Logging into Madpack 2 and suddenly I get a million magic crops-related minetweaker errors , and a bunch of items (lead seeds, e.g.) suddenly don't exist. I think it got updated to a newer version, but it still doesn't seem to work with agricraft like it's supposed to, and I have to tweak the configs, and I don't know if it's agricraft of magic crops that's making it so I can't shove them in cropsticks, and it's just a huge hassle and now I've lost my momentum.

Runner up: constant crashes that only start once you've put a few hours in.

Yeah i stopped playing ferret business when my game went down. I really should reload it, or start a new one. But i dont think i will like the no flying till you kill a wither :/

Maybe i just cheat in an angel ring :p

And that crap with firing people :/ thats not good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wargames posted:

We knew this was going to happen, buy out a big modding scene, then fire everyone a year later. Pretty sure they tried something similar with kakermix and tekkit.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

Never move to another city for a job without signing a contract first. Also, Curse is infamous for being a super poo poo company, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.
From what I'm seeing, they did sign contracts - and those contracts probably ran out and Curse is just not renewing them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i stopped playing ferret business when my game went down. I really should reload it, or start a new one. But i dont think i will like the no flying till you kill a wither :/

And that crap with firing people :/ thats not good.

I got an angel ring from a blind bag once. Also, jetpacks exist and are good.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If you get laid off you get unemployment. Jaded is not going to die homeless in the streets.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
In the middle of the flames, Vazkii feels the need to upload malware to Curseforge to see what happens when all the moderators are fired

said malware uploads a text file to your desktop with dickbutt on it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

In the middle of the flames, Vazkii feels the need to upload malware to Curseforge to see what happens when all the moderators are fired

said malware uploads a text file to your desktop with dickbutt on it

THE FIEND!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serifina posted:

From what I'm seeing, they did sign contracts - and those contracts probably ran out and Curse is just not renewing them.

So now that curse is burying FTB modders, what is going to happen to the curse platform and all the packs on it? I wouldn't be suprised if curse said "all your poo poo belong to us gently caress you" and assumed ownership of everything then sued all the mod makers and modpack makers in an attempt to get money, then loading up the curse software with malware to try and get more money, then finally doing scorched earth and deleting everything while keeping a lawyer on commission sueing anything and everything that even has curse as a reference.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

So now that curse is burying FTB modders, what is going to happen to the curse platform and all the packs on it? I wouldn't be suprised if curse said "all your poo poo belong to us gently caress you" and assumed ownership of everything then sued all the mod makers and modpack makers in an attempt to get money, then loading up the curse software with malware to try and get more money, then finally doing scorched earth and deleting everything while keeping a lawyer on commission sueing anything and everything that even has curse as a reference.

There's so much wrong with this it's not even funny.

1) Jaded was once part of the FTB team, but by the time she, Eyemaz, and Myrathi were hired, none of them were actually on the FTB team. (Nor do I think any of them were modders - Jaded and Eyemaz were modpack makers.)

2) Curse has legal terms that they abide by, that are agreed to when you create your Curse account/begin uploading. They can't just "assume ownership" or sue mod makers or modpack makers.

3) They're not going to load up the Curse client with malware - that'd be idiotic.

4) Nor are they going to delete everything or use a lawyer to sue others using Curse as a reference.

5) Are you loving high?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Serifina posted:

3) They're not going to load up the Curse client with malware - that'd be idiotic.
Counterpoint: They've already done this multiple times.

To be fair, I agree with everything else you said. And they didn't exactly intentionally load it up with malware it had more to do with their advertisers.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 26, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Khorne posted:

Counterpoint: They've already done this multiple times.

To be fair, I agree with everything else you said. And they didn't exactly intentionally load it up with malware it had more to do with their advertisers.

I'll concede that point. They should be more careful with their advertisers, but... that's basically true of the entire Internet, these days.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serifina posted:

5) Are you loving high?

:tinfoil: Nope. I just don't hold Curse in high standing, and I've seen a bit of crazy poo poo over the years, you could ask any of the old goonstation SS13 admins about the horror stories of having to clear house of crazy people, and maybe I'm just a bit jaded about minecraft and minecraft modding. A bit from that is from the curse forums, I still remember Google saying "This site may be harmful to your computer" when I last tried to visit it, and I don't think much has changed.

Edit:

Serifina posted:

I'll concede that point. They should be more careful with their advertisers, but... that's basically true of the entire Internet, these days.

uBlock origin (used to be Adblock plus but it seems they died) and no-script for life. There's a few more add ons I could use to increase security as well.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 26, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wow you called it so hard can I get some lotto numbers? :D!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

SugarAddict posted:

:tinfoil: Nope. I just don't hold Curse in high standing, and I've seen a bit of crazy poo poo over the years, you could ask any of the old goonstation SS13 admins about the horror stories of having to clear house of crazy people, and maybe I'm just a bit jaded about minecraft and minecraft modding. A bit from that is from the curse forums, I still remember Google saying "This site may be harmful to your computer" when I last tried to visit it, and I don't think much has changed.
For as long as I've used Curse (which is basically since they launched the Minecraft client plus some), that warning has not existed. They're not going go all scorched-earth-crazy-pants on Minecraft modding, though, because that would end up with them getting no money and utterly destroying what they've been building for the last two years or so.

Also it's pretty clear that they've been working hard to try to get past the issues that people have had with them in the past. Not perfectly, perhaps, but effort is being made.

That said, it's worth noting that I don't think they're angels, either. I don't agree with what they did today (reducing their moderation team from 6 to 3 was probably a dumb move, and I know at least Jaded moved for the job - combined with that and her health issues, letting her go this way was a dick move).

quote:

uBlock origin (used to be Adblock plus but it seems they died) and no-script for life. There's a few more add ons I could use to increase security as well.
Oh, I have both, myself. gently caress ads. I'm not sure if there's even a single website out there that I'm willing to let ads show up on - particularly given the high percentage of malware bastards.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

McFrugal posted:

If you get laid off you get unemployment. Jaded is not going to die homeless in the streets.

The issue seems more medical. Jaded was apparently going to go in for kidney surgery, which unless I'm reading this wrong, she will not survive if she does not get it done. With being laid off of by Curse, her insurance which would pay for said operation is gone. As Curse had just required her to move to CA, she has not lived in CA long enough to qualify for state medical aid. She can go the VA route, but she claims that she is on a 1-2 year waiting period and she does not have that kind of time. The situation is very hosed from what information she has given out. She might be able move back to her home state, hope that the time living in CA hasn't been long enough that she'd have a long waiting period to get on state medical (and that is even assuming it would cover the surgery) or attempt to get the surgery with what money she has with no insurance, but be left with massive debt and still have the issue of paying for her other medications.

I am sure there is a way through all this and I personally believe she needs to swallow her pride and do what others have suggested which is start up a gofundme, but I can also see how having this all dumped on you at once could make your outlook on life pretty bleak.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That's a poo poo situation. I never saw anything from jadedcat to make me want to revel in that kind of misfortune. I mean, from where I sit, I can't see the math where making modpacks and crap could add up to an American standard of living, but who knows what they were toting. That's just suck.

And while KakerMix is here, can I complain about Technic site stuff? It still sometimes takes hours for a change in my modpack URL to roll down to the clients. I just don't get it.

Maybe jadedcat would help me with BFSR? :v:

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I mean, from where I sit, I can't see the math where making modpacks and crap could add up to an American standard of living, but who knows what they were toting. That's just suck.

This is speculation, but from what Vazkii has said, she was part of the Curse moderation team that vetted mods/modpacks that went up on their platform. So my assumption would be that she might not have been paid for her modpacks. Instead she might have been more of a community manager / mod reviewer for Curse.

Again relying on Vazkii's info about the Curse moderation team for CurseForge being reduced from 6 to 3 people, there might be number of reasons that this made business sense for them. For example they might have needed 6 for the start of their platform, because quite naturally the number of mods that have to be approved is much higher at the beginning.
Then again, they probably knew months ago that they were going to reduce the number of moderators. The way they handled this makes them look like a really really bad employer.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Gimpanse posted:

This is speculation, but from what Vazkii has said, she was part of the Curse moderation team that vetted mods/modpacks that went up on their platform. So my assumption would be that she might not have been paid for her modpacks. Instead she might have been more of a community manager / mod reviewer for Curse.

Again relying on Vazkii's info about the Curse moderation team for CurseForge being reduced from 6 to 3 people, there might be number of reasons that this made business sense for them. For example they might have needed 6 for the start of their platform, because quite naturally the number of mods that have to be approved is much higher at the beginning.
Then again, they probably knew months ago that they were going to reduce the number of moderators. The way they handled this makes them look like a really really bad employer.

I was going to write up a minor thing about business practices that would agree with the above statement ... but then I remembered this was Curse we were talking about. Which mods did they actually keep?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Did the ferret business get harder?

I started again and have died more than 10 times. (admittedly 6 of those were when i died in a bloodmoon and it took me another 5 deaths before morning.)

But i was tending crops and kobolds spawned and killed me. Maybe i just chose a bad place for a base :/

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Meskhenet posted:

I've been flying the almost whole time. You don't need to kill a wither.

Options:
Mekanism Jetpack
Simply Jetpacks Jetpack
Angel Ring

The easiest is the Mekanism Jetpack since it's cheap, and everything required to make (and fuel) it you should have already from setting up ore triplication. Plus with a couple diamonds and some extra bronze it get unbreakable diamond-tier protection too. After that I grabbed an Angel Ring so I could wear a full set of the ender-io dark steel armor, and a division sigil is super high priority to get since cursed earth mob farms are bonkers.

Meskhenet posted:

I started again and have died more than 10 times. (admittedly 6 of those were when i died in a bloodmoon and it took me another 5 deaths before morning.)

But i was tending crops and kobolds spawned and killed me. Maybe i just chose a bad place for a base :/

Any pack with Guardians of Gaia I turn on peaceful until I've setup a small house with a perimeter fence. Random hostile day-spawning mobs that are faster & far tougher than vanilla? No thanks. And is it weird that 75% of them have boobs?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Nevets posted:

Any pack with Guardians of Gaia I turn on peaceful until I've setup a small house with a perimeter fence. Random hostile day-spawning mobs that are faster & far tougher than vanilla? No thanks. And is it weird that 75% of them have boobs?

Uh. Not sure if you have experienced other modding scenes but boobs are basically what most things are built out of. :v:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
UGHHHHH the dev for Better Questing really does not know what he's doing. He pushed out a new version to allow updating of quests and basically my entire questbook reset. I don't think I'm going back to New Horizons. It's not like there was much finished content left for me to do anyway, and InfiTech2 seems to be a better modpack in the same style. Which is to say, it mixes Gregtech with other mods. InfiTech2 doesn't add more grind ON TOP OF Gregtech.

edit: okay I'm being told I need to do a few things to fix the questbook after the first launch with the new update (don't ask me why it doesn't do it automatically). Gonna try that in like 15 minutes because that's how long it takes to load the modpack.
edit2: Nope didn't work. It's hosed.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 26, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah, GoG monsters and MO monsters are rough right now. The patch notes for the next (not yet out) version of FB look like they're toning them down a bit (good, they should). I tthink the thing that pisses me off most about their balance (I no longer fear any of them in my game) is that they drop nothing useful. Basically they drop 1/6th of a gold ingot at best. So not really worth fighting.

Also it means that in the End, half hte mobs are 'ender dragon girls' that produce blood in a smeltery instead of resonant ender, so mildly annoying.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Sage Grimm posted:

Uh. Not sure if you have experienced other modding scenes but boobs are basically what most things are built out of. :v:

Sti....stick your pick into it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Having never seen these before i still dont know what is hostile and what isnt.

I have satyrs floating about that are chill, i have centurs that always want to come into my loving house as soon as i open a door, but they are chill.

But yeah, they all have boobs and they all look the same....

I think i need to drop extraTiC for my xbow once i actually start to tech up. I like spending time as farmer bob :/

Yeah i guess ill go jetpack at first for flight too.

Oh and these crashes space ships that are about with triterium and deterium or whatever?? ive got one that crashes near a village that was kind enough to give me a smelter and a good load of starting crops :) and it has some dude named legendary in there so i havent opened it up yet. Will he kick my arse?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Oh and these crashes space ships that are about with triterium and deterium or whatever?? ive got one that crashes near a village that was kind enough to give me a smelter and a good load of starting crops :) and it has some dude named legendary in there so i havent opened it up yet. Will he kick my arse?

That's an android, and has like 140 hp and will definitely kick your rear end. Never open those things until you've got a way of surviving that.

Edit: Whoa. Thaumcraft in InfiTech2 is HEAVILY modified. You can't make a wand with iron caps-- you use copper, and you need a thaumonomicon first. You don't get a thaumonomicon by wanding a bookcase-- you craft it. The second cap type is silver, which doesn't use an infusion altar-- it uses the crucible.
Also you need a compressor before you can actually make a wand, because you need a compressed wood dust plank to craft the wooden wand core.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 27, 2016

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Nevets posted:

I've been flying the almost whole time. You don't need to kill a wither.

Yeah that's just a config setting for unlocking flight through the morph mod I'm pretty sure, not restricting flight via other means.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I haven't tried this pack yet but cave-ins sound pretty boss imo

Play Terrafirma craft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013
Is there any worthwhile modpack for 1.8 or 1.9 yet, that is not just all available mods slapped together?

Something along the lines of what they use on Forgecraft.