Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There's a way to know the code for the secret boss. One of the bots in the shop area (which you haven't shown) tells it to you.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
A few comments I can make now-

- Carltron is wearing a white tuxedo. Usually the bad guys in James Bond movies have on that sort of outfit- the best examples I can recall are Sanchez in License to Kill & Scaramanga in Man With The Golden Gun. I've always thought they look dorky. Also, you're right- making a smart robot adversary NEVER works out well.

- Carltron doesn't want to kill the Professor and co- he wants revenge on them for ignoring or marginalizing him. He figures stranding them in Evermore, then unleashing the Evil Twins, is the best way. He'll get the Professor himself after he no longer needs him (when his control is solidified). That's what I surmised anyway. The game villain's motivation really should have been better explored.

- Why the heck would we want to give the bad guy Evermore? What about all the innocents he's threatened so far? Nobilia's citizens, Strong Heart's tribe, the King of Gothica, and so on? The Professor built this place to be paradise for his friends, you don't just give that place to the Robot Butler Gone Berserk. Yeah, I know, that needed better explanation too.

- Carltron is really a dumbass for not protecting the Professor from York better and making that MacGuffin that opens his chamber so easily retrievable. Or maybe he wants York to come to him and is preparing a trap... Yeah, I'll go with that.

- Maybe someone should fanfic-novelize this game to fix plot holes- not me, this game is worse than some I've already tried to do, but someone if anyone cares... or maybe I'll try it someday in which case Leave will get a big thank you for his LP that helps me out! I won't decide until the LP ends, but if I do write the game Magus523 and Mirror & Image will be my inspirations. Look for their work on fanfiction.net.

- Usually if writers think of plot holes or bad characterization the problems are either fixed or left open because of editorial disagreements regarding necessity vs the need to get the game finished by the deadline. "Who cares if it's written poorly, no fans will care, we need the dough and that outweighs bad writing!" That's what I think anyway. I've also never written a real game. I've written video game walkthrus and fanfics, but not a game. Not yet anyway. :sigh:

Game mechanics stuff-

- Can't remember if the Professor has Call Bead abilities. I think so. Maybe we'll see them next update.

- Toaster Zach's Level 2 & 3 lasers are especially powerful. Please show them off at least once if you can. No such thing as overkill against some upcoming foes. :D

- I hate that invincible killer greenhouse too. Wish we could send the bad guys in there and have them get devoured.

- So you like swords? I'm a Spear man myself, mostly for the ranged attack. Yeah, we have Alchemy, but some players (like me) may have issues keeping up with all the different spells & ingredients. I preferred grinding and tossing my stick. That, and unleashing my ever more powerful killer dog.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It kinda looks like Carltron is wearing a weird variation on a "white tie" tailcoat, which is actually a step up from a tux in formality and I have no idea why a butler would wear that? Is that stereotypical butler garb, no idea. (eta: later on in that page I linked to it mentions "waiters and butlers" wearing this kind of suit with black ties, so I guess so!)

As to why would we let the bad guy have Evermore and all its people, well... are they really people? This is like a fake virtual reality world as far as I can tell. On the other hand, given the "cleansing" agenda, I guess you don't want to take any risks.

I never notice plots holes like this because pretty often I'm checked out of taking the story seriously by this point. :v:

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can chalk me up as someone else who went to the Bazooka and never looked back. Massive attack power, no grinding weapon levels(especially this late in the game), and it's ammo never seems to deplete in Omnitopia. The only real downside I can think of is that it doesn't play nice with a certain support spell that hasn't been picked up yet, but considering what it does for the Dog it's a very minor issue at best.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Another vote for Bazooka. Your point about 100% hits is kinda irrelevant - all weapons kinda suck with sub-100% attacks. Also, the knock back can actually be useful since it moves you AWAY from whatever enemy is trying to melee you. And the ammo limit seems bad, but the conversion rates into credits are crazy IIRC - like I never grinded and still was able to buy plenty from shopping area, no questions asked. So it's more of a "just remember to use lower tier ammo on scrubs" than an actual limitation on real usage.

Also, I don't know how I failed to realize this before, but the whole plot of Evermore is kind of a meta joke on York's love of B-Movies: a ridiculous cause (dog chasing cat), science experiment out of control, 1950's setting, evil robots, and so on.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In the previous worlds, your funds took a hit after converting to the new currency. Omnitopia lets you turn a profit instead, particularly with the gold coins from Gothica. It's something crazy too, like 8:1. Never had any trouble immediately buying out the stores as soon as I arrived. Then again I never needed to restock alchemy supplies either because I hardly used it.

Anyway, the point of this story is that Evermore proves the gold standard is superior to the runaway inflation of Omnitopia's fiat currency. :v:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Thirding the Bazooka. As someone who never grinded, I was still able to break the endgame using just that. Also, isn't the bazooka unlimited ammo glitch an automatic thing for the US version, and not something you have to go out of your way to activate? I heard it doesn't work with Thunderballs, but the two other pieces of ammo are unlimited by default.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Well, Leave missed something quite important back in A2. Maybe not "important", in terms of gameplay or progression, but...more like the area that serves as the "town" of Omnitopia. A robot there will give you the code to unlock the optional boss Leave fought. They also sell the bottom-tier armor for place, alchemy ingredients, and they have an inn. Anyone else notice the pattern that there's three sets of armor per area, each better than the last? Leave found the mid-tier armor of Omnitopia on the way to Ruffleberg. Considering Credits as a currency, they're quite cheap with the heaps of gold coins thrown at you at the end of Gothica. (For reference, Talons convert into 2 credits, Jewels into 4, and Coins into 8.) You cannot obtain the Neutron Blade without defeating the enemies in the cell block. The wall-switches are rigged -- the raptor is always set free, as is the Red Slime. Speaking to IM-L8 prior to their destruction results in unique dialogue that justifies not giving you a reward until after you kill them.

Now that all the ammo types are available, there is indeed a bug with the ammunition counts. If you have at least one particle shot or cryo-blast projectile, you have infinite shots of either of those. Not completely sure why that is, just that it is. The bazooka doesn't really fill a niche; it's a crutch weapon for players who didn't take time to train their level, weaponry, or alchemy to a respectable level, giving them a way to continue effectively if they've been lax about gaining EXP. This is not a bad thing, and is one of several things the game does right in a general sense...even if Cryo Blasts are a little too powerful. For a fun challenge, at the very beginning of the game, turn on a Walk Thru Walls code, and run yourself over to those cells in A1. Free and kill the Raptor. It isn't easy, because you have 30 HP and if it hits you, you're toast. You have 30? Thunder Balls to do this with.
You'll also "create" a toaster dog upon leaving Ruffleberg's Lab; and you can see its stats are obscenely high even at Lv.1.

The invincible killer greenhouse also has mosquitoes, which can actually be dangerous, but far from instant-kill levels of damage. They appear with the lights on or off, and like all other mosquito-enemies, die to a stiff breeze. By default, the first time you enter there the lights will always be on, regardless of what got set in the control room. We saw leave turn them off before going in, and yet they were on when he entered. This mimics my own playthrough, where I knew it was coming and tried to save time by shutting them off before going in. It failed.

Call Up is the only formula in the entire game that generates an item upon casting, and is also the only one in the game that requires Meteorites and Dry Ice. The existence of a Dry Ice merchant, whether true or untrue, would not matter as there is no other way to obtain more meteorites other than what you found through the game, and the bonus meteorites obtained from the Crustacian Mad Monk merchant who sells Amulets of Annihilation. While he can give you charms that you've missed, when you run out of those, he'll throw you 3 meteorites. Then nothing for any purchase afterward. This is why they're both considered limited-quantity ingredients; somewhere around 30 call beads is about enough to complete the final boss battle without actually doing anything else but spamming them. There's no reason to hoard charges of the spell, spend them all and stash it forever.

There're only three formulas left to obtain. One of which will be found at the Energy Core, one from Ruffleberg upon returning with the Core, and then one more from I8-Pi when Leave gets around to that. One is overpowered, one is allegedly useful, and the other is pointless and garbage. Think you can figure out which is which? :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Now, there's a legend here.

Supposedly there's a way to make a merchant that sells Dry Ice appear here.

Total bullshit of course.

...or is it?

I did some googling. Some sites say that he appears when your level is a multiple of 5. But someone in this TASvideos thread said they tried it and couldn't get it to work, and if anyone knows what's up it's TASers. So I think it's a myth.

Is this also the 'roundabout way' Leave was referring to in the update?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I did skip the shop area in interest of keeping that update shorter. That's the longest I'd written in a while, but we'll get there sooner or later.

The Crustacia merchant is the roundabout way I mentioned.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sadly, Toaster Dog doesn't lend itself to :toastertoot: as well as the other forms.

Or maybe I just suck, and it's Explosionface's time to shine...

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You're thinking about the wrong way. :toastertoot: should be the noisemaker coming out the slots on his back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I guess we needed a reason to pay a second visit to Gothica, since when we were building the rocket we didn't really need to go "back" there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirty Four: Seriously, That's It?

Welcome back, everyone! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we made our way through Omnitopia and some of the various bullshit of it. It's kind of a pain in the rear end area, but we finally found Sidney Ruffleberg, who has sent us on a quest to retrieve the Energy Core. Today, we're going to do that and also visit the Omnitopia shop, since I wanted to pad out this update somehow. With that said, let's boogie.

So, we're one update from finishing the game. This update is basically padding.

I went back to visit the shop here, since I probably should have done that last update, but we're basically a half hour from finishing the game.

While we have a good chunk of cash, we'll need some more to afford the good stuff here.

When I say good stuff, I mean the ultimate armor of the game.

It's always kind of disappointing to me when you can just buy the best armor in a game. It's much more satisfying to actually find it.

:eyepop:

Brainstorm is a kickass name for a helmet.

The Virtual Vest and Glove sound like nerd poo poo for nerds.

I, uh, I never actually equipped this last update. I just kind of forgot.

Anywho, we're fully equipped now. We're as ready as we'll ever be.

Let's roll back to the shop. There's an ingredient shop there, and if you recall, I'm sorely lacking in ingredients.

We've gotta get back to A 2. It's not too bad of a trip, but this section is actually fairly lengthy and annoying to get through.

I also gain a few levels, just by fighting the Rimsalas that populate the hallways. I didn't even intend to grind!

And it's not going to be our last trip through here. We'll have to do another after getting the Energy Core.

...Not that I had to do this one, but someone (i.e., Seiren) complained that I didn't visit the shop.

That, and as I mentioned, padding. Otherwise, this update would be about thirty images long.

There are three shops in this area, and the inn of the area.

At the end here is the armor shop.

By not coming here, I was doing a small challenge run, for the satisfaction of you, the viewer.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :colbert:

Nothing we need, but there's an alternate hand armor if you missed the Protector Ring.

We can also buy Bazooka ammo, if you really need to. Killing a Rimsala will get you enough for ten shots of the strongest ammo in the game.

The middle shop is the ingredient shop.

Who the gently caress is buying Mushrooms!?

Finally, there's the item shop.

Nothing we need (now), but that Honey is nice if you run out of ingredients for your healing spells.

Heading south leads you to the inn area.

You can talk to one of these cleaning robots to get a code for the Alarm Room, but...We were already there and finished it up.

And they literally call it an inn. That doesn't seem very futuristic...

Still, a hundred bucks for a full heal. I'll take it.

Let's get to the Energy Core. There's one more stop I'm going to be making, which is also entirely optional.'

Heading north is the exit out of here.

As well as the Laser Lance, the ultimate spear weapon.

Still sticking with my sword; I've got alchemy if I want range, and the level 3 charge to the sword weapons can hit multiple times.

You might be wondering how we're going to get around if our Windwalker is wherever the hell we left it and we took a rocket to get up here.

We get a flying ship that we're not going to crash this time! :swoon:

We're going to visit Blimp real quick-like.

For an idea of how strong the end-game weapons are, this is a regular strike. They're as strong as to be expected.

Shut up and sell me what I need! I have a world to save!

Oh, yes, all is right with this LP again. I'm no longer afraid to roam the halls of Omnitopia.

:allears:

We don't have to navigate back to Omnitopia. Our ship auto-pilots back.

We're not heading back there just yet, though.

There's two things in Tinker's Lab, and the Energy Core to still grab.

Nitro! It's one of the strongest formulas in the entire game, if not the absolute strongest.

The downside is that we're so close to the final boss, we'd have to go out of our way to grind it up, and the ingredients are costly and hard to get a hold of. There's a couple of different merchants we'd need to visit to get Grease and Gunpowder, and Crush is a higher level, and we have nearly 99 castings of it.

Hey, whatever happened to Simply Simon telling us the viability of formulas? It was neat having a real chemist tell us if the formulas were totally "What the gently caress" or not.

And right next to that, thrown in a box, is the strongest axe of the game.

My Shakespeare looking friend, Tinker.

Who is talking about this!?

Then what use are you as an NPC? That's all you're good for!

Through the magic of editing and screenshots, it looks like I popped out of that room onto the chessboard maze!

Man, I'm running out of things to say. It's hard when you're on a fetch quest that doesn't involve any level of difficulty.

I hope you weren't expecting a boss fight this update.

Because...Yeah, we just grab the Core. There's not even a fanfare or anything to denote that you've grabbed the Core. It's like if you beat Golbez in Final Fantasy 4 and the game just gives you a thumb's up.

Over to the right is a hidden NPC.

This is literally the only use of the Oracle Bone in the entire game.

If you don't have it, this guy doesn't say poo poo.

And you don't get these two formulas. Not that I'll be using them, mind you, but I think I've gotten every other formula up to this point.

Well, still gotta visit I8-PI, but we'll have to pass through there again anyways.

If there's anything else I missed, let me know. I'll go back and snag if it possible.

This is the only place to buy Grease in the entire game. The Omnitopia ingredient shop is the only place to buy Gunpowder, so you see what a bitch it can be to actually use Nitro.

Speaking of NItro, have a demo for it.

Extremely powerful, but a pain in the rear end to be able to use reliably, efficiently, and commonly.

Imagine a checkerboard transition or something that got us here.

...This might be the last time we visit Evermore properly.

Might be the last time we buy ingredients, too.

This is one of our final formulas, too.

And it's a loving doozy, too.

Enough of a doozy that I'm going to have a video dedicated at the end of the update to show it off.

It doesn't have a choice!

Thanks a ton, Doc. You've made us into absolutely brutal killing machines now. you brilliant bastard.

Next time, we're going to go finish the game, destroy Cartron, and save all of Evermore.

Stay tuned!

Energizer Demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hlZ_8ktaSE

:black101:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
"Here, go trivialise whatever passes for the home stretch of this game with instant-charging level 3 attacks." :effort:

Taking all wagers on how long it takes Leave to start a new LP after the final update. (More than a week is a sucker's bet.)

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
This would be the spell the Bazooka doesn't play nicely with. Best as I can recall, using the two together prevents you from being able to charge up to 100% as normal, so you're stuck without an effective attack until the spell wears off. Given how you're going to be using most of your casts on the Dog, however, it's a rather negligible downside.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So is Evermore it's own dimension? Is it an island in the middle of nowhere? And why didn't Zach turn into a toaster when we were first in the station?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Zach did become a toaster, you just never see him until you hit Prehistoria and he turns into a wolf.

In response to this, you hear a metallic bark.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

After the ingredient shop there appears to be a mis-located image - showing chessboard.

As per the update itself, Energizer is awesome but frankly at this point kinda superfluous - if you've been using alchemy regularly (Crush, maybe a later one like Explosion) and have the Bazooka, you are already plenty powerful. That said, Evermore isn't really a difficult game*, nor is it intended to be, so it's not like Energize is ruining the difficulty curve.

*Thraxx and Verminator excepted - they can be tough, but more because you're specifically limited in some way.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 26, 2016

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

You can trivialize Verminator with call beads. Fire eyes' offense spells are based on the strength of your best alchemy spell (combining base power and spell level) times a fixed multiplier. If you leveled crush or another decent spell up a bit it only takes 4 or so beads to bring him down. Aura also works regardless of spell levels.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Nitro is supposedly tied with Fire Power as the most powerful alchemy spell in the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shardix posted:

Zach did become a toaster, you just never see him until you hit Prehistoria and he turns into a wolf.

In response to this, you hear a metallic bark.

Ha! That's a pretty nice touch.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

So, folks, I have the final update written. The question now is, do I post it now, or should I wait a minute or two?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Shown here: Leave cannot restrain himself from posting updates once they're done. At least, not for more than "a minute or two".

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Post it so I have a reason not to sleep!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Alas, we are 15 posts (after this one) away from a new page, so you might as well hit us with the ending to this fun game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirty Five: The Final Battle For Evermore

Welcome back, everyone. Last time, we prepped everything for the final battle. Today, we're fighting that final battle, so let's boogie one last time.

We've got over 80 casts of Crush ready, nearly 50 casts of Super Heal, and 96 casts of Energize. I'm about as ready for this as I can be.

And since I forgot to mention it, Energize is able to be cast on both York and Zach, in case it wasn't good enough already.

:science:

:black101:

Let's go pick up one last formula before we enter this fight.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I'd prefer a bigger bazooka or something, but I can't complain.

Reflect will reflect back magic attacks, but only one enemy from here on out will use magic, so...Yeah. Its usefulness is debatable.

One last save prompt before the final boss.

Once you activate this machine and plug in the Energy Core, there is no going back. You're on the path of no return.

Which comes pretty late, all things considered. You can still boogie out and re-visit any old location if you'd like.

:ducksiren:The video covers the entire boss fight and the credits. Last one!:ducksiren:

Some last minute preparations and off we go!

For the first phase of the final boss, we have to destroy all of these fans and speakers. If you get too close, they blow you backward into the Bombs, which do an assload of damage.

My preferred method is switching to Zach and lasering the poo poo out of them. The Speakers have 1,004 HP, while the Fans have 2,500.

The blow-back effect doesn't bother the AI, for whatever reason, but it works out well for me.

After a little while, the first phase will end with the destruction of the fans and speakers.

We go clear out the rubble and begin the next phase of the fight.

The Bombs have 200 HP and this is a bad idea.

Mostly because it hurts like a motherfucker.

You can see a Metal Raptor inside of the computer screen, which is the next phase of our fight.

They apparently kick it off by dry-humping our dog.

Broad strokes for this phase, as we've already seen how they fight. They explode into dust when defeated, which is important for a couple of reasons.

This Mechaduster comes out to clean up the mess, and you can destroy him if you'd like.

But if you do, a 6,000 HP, small, fast, capable-of-dealing-200-damage enemy comes out and mingles with the other phases of the fight, which can get hectic and wreck your poo poo before you know what hit you.

Besides, I have no beef with him, so I won't make him by beef with me.

More Raptors appear after the first phase, but they're easily dealt with.

The next phase involves fighting multiple Eyes of Rimsala.

I'll never tire of enemies exploding into dust when they're destroyed.

It feels very final, like you've well and truly destroyed them.

We're now entering the third phase of the fight.

In which we battle a Bad Boy, who is just as strong as when the Shape Lifters impersonated York.

He doesn't last long.

If you'd been wondering why I hadn't been searching these dust piles, it's because there is nothing in them.

Third phase, part two!

Or is that just the fourth phase?

The Dark Toaster is waaaaay more dangerous than the Bad Boy.

He doesn't take much damage from alchemy attacks, so you're much better off with physicals.

As the Dark Toaster has 10,000 HP.

Enemies still drop EXP here, which can give a valuable, mid-fight heal.

This is the penultimate phase. We're nearly done here.

With a Metal Magmar exploding out of the computer!

:stare:

He's got 25,000 HP and can use Crush, as well as Heat Wave, but we don't give him much of a chance to do anything.

As he spends this fight too busy getting the poo poo kicked out of him to do anything else.

He can barf out these balls of light to attack with, but he isn't too dangerous, considering his obscene HP.

:allears:

Alright, time for the final phase. Let's dance one last time.

We're facing off against Carltron's Robot, who has 30,000 HP and fires missiles at you.

And they hurt like hell, as you'd expect being hit by a missile would do.

Keeping your health high is a necessity here; Carltron's Robot will wreck your poo poo if you stop paying attention to your HP.

Other than the missiles, he just bounces around, doing...Well, not much else.

Upon defeating him, you get 100,000 EXP (for some reason), and you've beaten the game! :toot:

Kiss the fattest part of my rear end, Carltron. You're done for.

:ducksiren:From here until the end, I'm going to let the video speak for itself. I don't have much to add to the way things end, so I see no reason to bog down the ending with needless commentary.:ducksiren:

Well, this is it, folks. I've another LP done and added to my pile, and this time, it was a game I'm not all that familiar with, except in a passing way. I've played Secret of Evermore before, but never to the level of detail I had during this LP. I remembered the game being a lot more goofy than it actually is, with more B-movie references and jokes, but for the most part, the dialog feels like it was mostly made to hold places while they made up better stuff. York turned out to be a lot more boring protagonist than I remember, and our faithful companion, Zach the dog, is more of a driving force on the plot.

This has all been mentioned in the thread, but I have to hammer home that there is a certain and odd charm to the game when you're actually playing it; if you're looking at it with a critical eye, the dialog drags it down and the bland, almost-there characters keep it from being truly great, but it's just a ton of fun to play. I can't quite say how the charm of it all works, but it's definitely there in some way that doesn't lend itself to words. I can highly recommend playing the game, but keep in mind that you're not going to get a touching story or deep, meaningful dialog out of the experience.

With that said, this LP is finished. If there's anything absolutely huge that I missed, I'll go back and find it, but I think I've covered everything that I need to. Thanks to everyone who read along, who commented in the thread, and who was here for the journey that was Secret of Evermore.

I'll see you guys next time. Until then...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are a friggin' machine with these things!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:toot: Yet another fine Leavemywife-brand Let's Play. And I'm sure we'll have another one spring up before this even makes it onto the archive.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I gave the game a lot of poo poo, but it does have a great final boss battle.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Man, there were a lot of typos in that final cutscene's dialogue. I hadn't noticed all that many up until now, either!

Either way, a neat LP. Thank you!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The only problems I have with this game are all in Omnitopia and the final boss. The entire sequence runs too long. I never bothered with Energize (which was apparently a poor plan) - I thought combat alchemy was the way to go! But so much of this fight is incredibly alchemy-resistant, it becomes incredibly time consuming. Going with the bazooka isn't much faster.

Bonus fact: If you stay on the "The End?" screen long enough, there are two more bits of joke credits.
Dolly Grip
Brian Fedhrau

If you wait after that, another message appears briefly:
It's Bill's Fault

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Now that the LP is over, I had some questions about the map of Evermore.

You can see pretty much all the areas in the game, but did the stone buildings and hut north of the two keeps ever show up? And the island with the hut in the north and the large mountain island with the small group of land in the middle is never used either, correct?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Right. It just exists to add a bit of (frustrating) texture to the map.

Leavemywife posted:

This has all been mentioned in the thread, but I have to hammer home that there is a certain and odd charm to the game when you're actually playing it; if you're looking at it with a critical eye, the dialog drags it down and the bland, almost-there characters keep it from being truly great, but it's just a ton of fun to play. I can't quite say how the charm of it all works, but it's definitely there in some way that doesn't lend itself to words.

I think it's because at the time nothing quite did what Evermore did, especially regarding the sound design. Near every game has a big bombastic soundtrack, and Evermore opted to go for a lot of ambience which I think really helps sell it. I can't recall any other game in that era, and very few games even nowadays, that did that. It can get repetitive (the swamp on the way to Blimp especially comes to mind, trying to find the correct goddamned lillypad to cross for progression), but Jeremy Soule did a bang up job.

And no other game to date that I am aware of lets you murder a dragon with a pink poodle.

Thanks for the lp, Leave. A nice trip down memory lane.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Aw, you didn't show the silly little message at the end.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Awesomeness. I always found the end battle to be lots of fun - not really difficult unless you ignored your health (since Super Cure is so broken) but still a fun way to end the game.

Excellent job keeping the LP interesting. Since the charm of the game itself is really in the combat and polish of the gameplay, which can't come across in screenshots, this could have very easily felt kind of bland to read - but it didn't, which is a credit to your editing. :cheers:

What's next for the Leave LP machine? Anything planned?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If anyone is wondering, Carltron's Robot is the boss I had big trouble with. Mostly because I was using spears over swords or alchemy and he can only be hit from the sides. Of course Leave beat him more easily. Thx for a fun LP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rangpur posted:

I gave the game a lot of poo poo, but it does have a great final boss battle.

I was able to remember the normal boss music for like 20 years but I forgot everything about the final boss except the last phase (which, looking at it now, sure as hell looked like it has a rocket launcher dick??), including its sweet as gently caress music. Seriously want to play that on repeat for a while now.

More bittersweet ending than I remember (pretty much remembered only the "zinger" with Carltron), until Camilla just peaces the gently caress out of her kingdom, not much convincing required there. :v: And like leave said, the game looks a lot more boring than it actually is. It was one of my favorites as a kid for a reason.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Still a classic game, and honestly, is the only one aside from Earthbound to feel very much like you're in a western city than a Japan copy of what the west is like.

Thanks for the fun ride Leave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I just noticed for the first time that Robo-Camellia's sprite is used in the ending at the castle, not the real one. Ain't dem some peaches.

• Locked thread