Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Most of those can be explained in like, a few words.

like don't get me wrong they all have retarded names and it all looks very intimidating but it's not actually all that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i played melty and picked 2 of the most technical and least-melty characters in the game and learned nothing at all about the system mechanics but i can do 7k damage combos

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
reverse beat was a really interesting mechanic

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FWIW most people use Heat as a lovely DP/heal red life on knockdown in Crescent and as a RC in Full. Blood Heat is almost never used, and most of the time if someone is in Max in Crescent they either use it for damage in their combos or use it to burst. Half moon just automatically bursts and you have no control over it (but the burst isn't really punishable). A lot of Arc Drives are not useful and even the useful ones tend to be pretty situational. AAD/Last Arc/anything with Blood Heat is ridiculously situational and basically makes no difference on the game besides being able to troll your opponent.

Like one of the most practical AADs is Satsuki's because it's unblockable, unjumpable, can be comboed into from anything, and does like 3000 unscaled damage no matter how late it is in a combo, and I've only seen it in a real match once ever since I've been keeping up with the game when it was MBAC.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched your long play of the game. While it isn't the worst looking game in the world, visually its a mess. For example it took me three minutes in real time before I could tell that their were sprite characters that were holding shields and and a weapon. Let that sink in for a second, the prime character aesthetic in the game "2D character sprites with 3D enviornments" wasn't just lost in translation, but immediately unknown.

There are a few reasons to this:

The first thing is the color. The weapons and especially characters don't look much different from the general environment. The characters you played as in the game are a mix of gray, black, purple, and brown. The environment is full of gray, black, purple, and brown. This results in things being very difficult to make out when playing. The same goes for the character's weapons and shields.

The second is the animation. The weapons and shields do have something the characters don't, that makes them a little more recognizable, which is that they animate somewhat. In contrast the character sprite which hardly animate at all. I get that sprite animation is more difficult to do than 3D, but this doesn't really apply for low resolution pixel art. I managed to create more animations for more detailed characters by myself in like an hour. There is not reason why there should be such a lack of animation frames. I mean the characters don't even have different animation when they travel diagonally up as opposed to diagonally down. This doesn't just go for the sprites however, the animations for many weapons, especially the bow, are very sudden and choppy. They are pretty difficult to read.

The final reason is design. Take a look at the first characters you two plays as in the longplay. They don't have faces but helmets with holes in them. This makes it pretty difficult to tell where they are facing. Add in the lack of animations and that their color blends in with the surroundings and its no wonder I couldn't see the characters at first. There are also some weapons and shields that just make things confusing. That back shield is an ideal example of this, it is very difficult just to tell what that is at first. And even when you know what it is it is still off. But this confusion just doesn't happen during gameplay, it happens in the menu too. I mean I couldn't even tell what I was looking at at first.

Not to sound harsh, just being honest. I will be at Combobreaker so I'll try it out there.

You see, it creates mixup opportunities. When you close in on your opponent, they have to make several hard reads: Which way are they facing? Which way am I facing? Which character am I? Why isn't my character made of voxels like everything around him seems to be?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

baiken is in revelator cutscenes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Endorph posted:

baiken is in revelator cutscenes

yesssssssssss

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
may and baiken have really pointy chins

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Everyone in that game does. Seems to be the drawback of the otherwise cool anime 2D art style in 3D.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Most of those can be explained in like, a few words.

like don't get me wrong they all have retarded names and it all looks very intimidating but it's not actually all that complicated.

Yeah, it's not THAT complicated, it's just an anime game. Just learn an easy combo, dash in 2AAAAAAA and have fun. If you really don't wanna bother pick a Half Moon character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Saoshyant posted:

Everyone in that game does. Seems to be the drawback of the otherwise cool anime 2D art style in 3D.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but it's a stylistic choice. There's nothing special about the geometry of chins.

I mean, unless everyone has pointy butts, shoulders, etc. too. That might be a little suspicious.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but it's a stylistic choice. There's nothing special about the geometry of chins.

I mean, unless everyone has pointy butts, shoulders, etc. too. That might be a little suspicious.

ah the vf1 aesthetic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also zappa with a new outfit i think?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
"Baiken is a divisive character in the GG series, how can we add her to the game and keep her essence while making her less frustrating for the adversaries?"

"i got you fam"

https://twitter.com/sepiascribe/status/735588735916474368

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Baiken has always had massive tits son

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

yes now they have vergil-sized hitboxes tho

Faust is still my waifu but I've always liked Baiken because people hated Baiken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when will they add anji and his guard points

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I'm waiting for Testament, hopefully he has some involvement with Dizzy's story if they ever show her in something besides silhouette.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dresh posted:

I'm waiting for Testament, hopefully he has some involvement with Dizzy's story if they ever show her in something besides silhouette.

I think he's going to be in this game...

Nope. Chuck Testament.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

yeah right, not when she was a baby, DUDE

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Posting this here and in the Making Games Megathread. We're doing some promotion before Combo Breaker this weekend. Here are some download keys. If you nab one please get at us with your impressions. :)

https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii/download/55aHAj78MwmRmHEX2c0lpGSXxQ29XA2570wP4zhn
https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii/download/0iCDR3IxAd2573nu8ZgM77sSinJdN1EtXFWOo5E0
https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii/download/maCimhc58Uo1NQXA6vF63RxdFG13Ddq06EM518ZJ
https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii/download/qYUe4yHxXsNzR43XIS0iJ9IEf37gwDRk4iE8A5tZ
https://interdimensional.itch.io/super-combat-jr-ii/download/1MLMzg4ePNOjCCf0eB0HfaP9HWV17P803j389F8d

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

when is revalator out, my new "arcade cabinet" is gonna be delivered next week and i need more games for it

also was there ever a soul calibur 1 port for ps3? thanks to PS+ i've got a ton of fighting games already downloaded on it, but that's def a glaring omission

i skipped way too many college classes when i first started because they had a soul blade machine in the student center

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

when is revalator out, my new "arcade cabinet" is gonna be delivered next week and i need more games for it

june 8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also was there ever a soul calibur 1 port for ps3? thanks to PS+ i've got a ton of fighting games already downloaded on it, but that's def a glaring omission

i skipped way too many college classes when i first started because they had a soul blade machine in the student center
there was a soul calibur 1 port for 360, a sc2 port for ps3, but no soul blade/edge port. that said the ps3 can play ps1 discs, and you can get a copy of ps1 soul blade on ebay for like 10 bucks + shipping

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SCII is awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fond memories of pissing all my friends off by yoshimitsu pogoing around the ring and winning with the seppuku move

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Endorph posted:

there was a soul calibur 1 port for 360, a sc2 port for ps3, but no soul blade/edge port. that said the ps3 can play ps1 discs, and you can get a copy of ps1 soul blade on ebay for like 10 bucks + shipping

oh poo poo you're right. might as well grab bushido blade and rival schools while im at it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

In Training posted:

In my limited experience it seems like everybody has a meter less combo that does 35 to 50% which is cool. Everything is dangerous

LB2 is just a high damage game across the board, to the point where combo damage has to be hardcapped at something like 75%

Does the PS4 release support PS3 sticks? I assume the answer is no, but I can always hope.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Right now the sprites are really dark, tiny, washed out and the items float weirdly around them. The end result is that you can't really see your character, and that's bad in a game where you will have four people running around on the same screen trying to hit each other. Try some contrasting colors and fix the lighting on the sprites. Also that coin thing at the end of a round is dumb. Here is my lovely mspaint attempt to show you what I am talking about.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ackkk. As far as lighting goes try better graphics settings? I never really tried to play anything lower than fantastic.

Wrt the floating items did you play against anyone? I got some people from the select button forum to twitch stream and they loved it. I think one guy was pretty gung ho about the game and the rest got used to it.

Edit: alright, cool, I tried! Later dudes

anothergod fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 26, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

stop shilling your lovely game here if you are never going to listen to anything anyone tries to tell you

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

stop shilling your lovely game here

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kenshin didn't have boobs that big, Daisuke. I checked.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/Shin__DIO/status/735550865428205568

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

anothergod posted:

Ackkk. As far as lighting goes try better graphics settings? I never really tried to play anything lower than fantastic.

Wrt the floating items did you play against anyone? I got some people from the select button forum to twitch stream and they loved it. I think one guy was pretty gung ho about the game and the rest got used to it.

Edit: alright, cool, I tried! Later dudes

If it helps I work in games and this attitude is one of the key reasons why indie startups doing generic local multiplayer games last approximately a year and a half and about 3 weeks after they actually release, PR is incredibly important and completely dependent on word of mouth so having a dismissive attitude at any point is basically setting fire to your chances of surviving in a ridiculously competitive space (notably because these games aren't exactly hard to make). You can't pick and choose, you need to have an outstanding USP, you need to have excellent public relations/promotion/friendliness and you need a commitment to quality because you're going to fail to achieve the level you think you're going to achieve for a variety of reasons (everyone does). You can pass it off as a unique situation where you get to ignore everything because goons, but they're just voicing things people who will immediately dismiss your game would say if they weren't too busy not caring. Get it together man, if this is your one big shot at indie stardom, do it properly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

inthesto posted:

LB2 is just a high damage game across the board, to the point where combo damage has to be hardcapped at something like 75%

Does the PS4 release support PS3 sticks? I assume the answer is no, but I can always hope.

I can check when I get home today and report back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you're releasing on steam as your only platform then you're competing with literally 10000 other games at prety much every budget and price point imaginable. even in the niche market of 4 player local games, there's glitchrunners, helldivers, magicka, speedrunners, and lethal league off the top of my head. why would someone buy your poo poo-looking game that you refuse to improve in any way over those other games that are actually decent and were made by people with some degree of competence in what they're doing.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

brian posted:

If it helps I work in games and this attitude is one of the key reasons why indie startups doing generic local multiplayer games last approximately a year and a half and about 3 weeks after they actually release, PR is incredibly important and completely dependent on word of mouth so having a dismissive attitude at any point is basically setting fire to your chances of surviving in a ridiculously competitive space (notably because these games aren't exactly hard to make). You can't pick and choose, you need to have an outstanding USP, you need to have excellent public relations/promotion/friendliness and you need a commitment to quality because you're going to fail to achieve the level you think you're going to achieve for a variety of reasons (everyone does). You can pass it off as a unique situation where you get to ignore everything because goons, but they're just voicing things people who will immediately dismiss your game would say if they weren't too busy not caring. Get it together man, if this is your one big shot at indie stardom, do it properly.

Thanks for this. I totally appreciate your perspective. I'm not really worried bc the game is like a year out from being done done and there are going to be some massive changes soon. We're going to hit as many tournaments as we can and get our game out to as many people as we can. And, tbh, the local competitive multiplayer is not going to be our main salespoint - it just happened to be real fun. Chase the fun ya know? If ya'll don't ban me for being annoying I'll be posting about our dev progress (mostly in the other thread) and hopefully that'll be fun, too.

Btw, I get that really genuinely playing a game is a thing the takes effort and like who the gently caress am I to ask randoz for effort. It's more Smash or Towerfall than a traditional fightman, so I get that you wouldn't like it. I also get that it's weird and different and it breaks a lot of video game rules so, like, whatever I *get* that you guys don't like it. I'm just trying to make it easier if you want to try to like it, ya know? I dunno if you're serious about dhamster's approach to game criticism - I mean, fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz" - like if you want to treat that like "real criticism" that's your choice. My best argument that our game is in fact pretty not poo poo is "please play our game". I was nice about it initially because I had hoped someone else played it and was like, "I dunno guys, maybe he's onto something?"

But between Midwest Gaming Classic, two local bar events, and shooting a copy to Avalanche NYC and them loving it t's like... I'm fairly confident about a lot of the game's weaknesses and strengths. We found something cool and if you wanna play it, go ahead. If you don't, go ahead and do that. We got Combo Breaker and two more local events and this thing is going to grow and develop. Tbh I'm kinda pissed that someone took a DL key and didn't DL it, but like, I'm the idiot who gave the keys out for free. I'll just console myself by thinking that dude wouldn't have bought it anyways so like there's that. My masochism is making me quote the remaining three games so take'em or leave'em

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

anothergod posted:

fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz"

if that is seriously what you got from his post then bless your heart and good luck my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Fereydun posted:

if that is seriously what you got from his post then bless your heart and good luck my friend

Thanks boo.

Btw I just realized that the DL links skip all the poo poo about playing with Dualshock 4 or Xinput controllers. Please don't use keyboard controls if you can avoid it. Well, yeah just don't use the undocumented keyboard controls bc they're pretty hacked in and deprecated. Well have four DS4s at Combo Breaker.