Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Heading out in an hour for a round with my dad. He doesnt like his new RSi 1 set so I might be playing with them, though Im expecting to play like poo poo since they have regular shafts in them and I havnt played in 3 weeks due to bad weather on my days off. :v:

At what handicap does ball preference start to matter? Im a 26 handicap and it doesnt seem to make any difference if Im playing the DT Solo or, Aeroburner or PD Long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys wanna see how to gently caress up a perfectly good round?

71% fairway, 78% GIR, we're hot, we're on today, oh ya! Today's the day we break 72!!

-1 through 9

What the gently caress happened, 57% fairway, 56% GIR. Jesus I don't know wtf I did. Maybe I should have stopped and had some lunch or something but I just could not do anything on the back 9 today.

I mean I guess I can't be mad at a 77, still sucks that it could've been a great round. Ah well, move on to next week. Got 3 tee times lined up for this coming weekend. Thursday after work, Saturday and Monday in the morning. Come on short work week!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Every time Sergio puts a ball in the water on a Sunday, and angel gets its wings.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

Every time Sergio puts a ball in the water on a Sunday, and angel gets its wings.

He's doing God's work, literally.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Koepka doesn't really deserve to win this, he's just lucky that nobody else near the top is having a good day. I want a ridiculous Kuchar hole-out to win this.

Rory's finish over in Ireland was amazing, look up video of his 3 woods on 16 and 18 if you missed it.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 22, 2016

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

EnsGDT posted:

Shrapnig posted:

He's doing God's work, literally.

I hope you both rot in Hell.

Let's do it, Sergio!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Garcia is gonna put one in the water somehow on this playoff hole :cheeky:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
splash

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
:spain::spain::spain::spain::spain::spain::spain:

...Koepka closing out like me. :ughh:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 22, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Haha I totally wrote Sergio off after he had the round 1 lead, but congrats to him.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
💪💪💪💪💪💪

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Haha congrats Kameh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

💪💪💪💪💪💪

gently caress offffffffffffff

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

gently caress offffffffffffff

Sorry, the phone emojis didn't seem to come through on desktop. I'm also surprised that there's no bicep/flexing smilie included, so I'll just go with :smug:.

:smug:

JUST LET ME HAVE THIS

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Rory's finish over in Ireland was amazing, look up video of his 3 woods on 16 and 18 if you missed it.

Wow no kidding, amazing under pressure.

https://streamable.com/48yd

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I have probably hit 500 balls this week just working to win my league game. Just zeroed in on improving.

And had my worst round of the year! :negative:

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Gratz Kameh, Sergio is always fun to watch and more so when he is in contention so I was rooting for him. Played my first 18 of the year and carried. Big mistake as I was dead tired by the turn, and my swing went to poo poo. May be time to invest in a pull cart and accept I'm getting old and fat.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So 107 yesterday and 107 again today. I was loving killing it off the tee (I love this new driver now that Ive figured it out), decent with the long irons, not that great with the 90-30 yard shots, and a master of the bump and run chips around the green. But sweet zombie Jesus I could not putt worth a drat. 13 3-putt greens in 2 rounds. :cry:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

So 107 yesterday and 107 again today. I was loving killing it off the tee (I love this new driver now that Ive figured it out), decent with the long irons, not that great with the 90-30 yard shots, and a master of the bump and run chips around the green. But sweet zombie Jesus I could not putt worth a drat. 13 3-putt greens in 2 rounds. :cry:

What do you put it down to? Missing short puts or gauging speed on longer ones?

-------------------

Saw these recently - if you're consistently slicing your driver like me then take look at these videos:

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDnctpwLa8o

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRJkLs0gXkg

Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOu4VnTMuo

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 24, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ I very rarely slice off the tee. Im more of a pull hook guy. Neat videos though!

Halo14 posted:

What do you put it down to? Missing short puts or gauging speed on longer ones?

Speed in general, I just could not maintain any consistency with my putts. Most short ones I was leaving way short and long putts I was blasting 12 feet past the hole. Im happy with my lines for the most part, so I guess the speed issue is something that I will fix as I put in more games.

Living in Canada means taking a 6 month break in golf and its amazing how that can gently caress up your game.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

e: ^^^ I very rarely slice off the tee. Im more of a pull hook guy. Neat videos though!

Speed in general, I just could not maintain any consistency with my putts. Most short ones I was leaving way short and long putts I was blasting 12 feet past the hole. Im happy with my lines for the most part, so I guess the speed issue is something that I will fix as I put in more games.

Living in Canada means taking a 6 month break in golf and its amazing how that can gently caress up your game.

Oh man I can't imagine having 6+ months off. The coldest it might get is ~5 degrees C early on winter mornings here near Sydney so I play pretty much all year round.

Yeah with putting & gauging speed I try to imagine a 2-3 foot circle around the hole and aim to get within that. The ball should be slowing down and breaking more when it reaches this point so you work your way back and try to get it approaching the circle at the right point.

Obviously if it's set up the same as the course then practicing your lag putting on the practice green helps immensely.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I like to think of it in terms of how far I bring the putter head back and how it relates to how far the ball goes on any given speed green. But that's just me haha

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

EnsGDT posted:

I like to think of it in terms of how far I bring the putter head back and how it relates to how far the ball goes on any given speed green. But that's just me haha

Basically. I have a buddy that plays on a local tour in the carolinas and he never brings the putter back more than 5 inches depending on how far away from the hole he is and his distance through the ball is further depending on length too. I think he said something like 1" total motion from peak of the back stroke to the peak of the follow through for every 2ft you are from the hole. So like a 20ft putt, you bring the putter back 5" and then through the ball 5" etc. It works ok, but you have to be more conscious of your speed too

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Thank God I currently have more sense than money because these wedges are loving awesome and I somehow missed that they released last year.

http://www.mizunousa.com/Golf/Products/S5-BLUE-ION-STEEL-RH

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Thank God I currently have more sense than money because these wedges are loving awesome and I somehow missed that they released last year.

I held them in my hands at a golf smith a few weeks ago. If my wife wasn't with me they'd probably be in my bag.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I play illegal groove Ping wedges like a boss

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

Basically. I have a buddy that plays on a local tour in the carolinas and he never brings the putter back more than 5 inches depending on how far away from the hole he is and his distance through the ball is further depending on length too. I think he said something like 1" total motion from peak of the back stroke to the peak of the follow through for every 2ft you are from the hole. So like a 20ft putt, you bring the putter back 5" and then through the ball 5" etc. It works ok, but you have to be more conscious of your speed too

Putter makes a big difference too. A softer face or insert will take some of the impact. I switched to using an Oddysey 2-Ball at the end of last season and it is softer than my old putter by a noticeable amount. Since I didnt get much use with it before winter I basically have to relearn how to putt. :v:

Im going hybrid shopping next week, probably for a 3H. Ive tried my dads SLDR and really liked it so I might pick one up since theyre on sale. The Vapor Fly and Aeroburner are also on sale, anyone used them enough to have feedback on how they feel?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Shrapnig posted:

I thought about those since my new Srixon 745's don't have an AW but I ordered another Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50degree instead, they are whoring those things out right now for $89 with all shaft/grip upgrades for free. Discount Dans.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

I play illegal groove Ping wedges like a boss

These??

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

booooom

Also, weird...best picture I could find was a lefty club haha which I definitely am not

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

booooom

Also, weird...best picture I could find was a lefty club haha which I definitely am not
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your 20 year old wedges could stand replacing.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your 20 year old wedges could stand replacing.

Now why would I go and do a thing like that?? I only bought them last year from the used store...

But seriously, I drill those things every time, and I trust them to be on their yardages. Plus they look so god drat pretty.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Shrapnig posted:

Saw those the other day, they so pretty :3

Furnaceface posted:

Putter makes a big difference too. A softer face or insert will take some of the impact. I switched to using an Oddysey 2-Ball at the end of last season and it is softer than my old putter by a noticeable amount. Since I didnt get much use with it before winter I basically have to relearn how to putt. :v:

Im going hybrid shopping next week, probably for a 3H. Ive tried my dads SLDR and really liked it so I might pick one up since theyre on sale. The Vapor Fly and Aeroburner are also on sale, anyone used them enough to have feedback on how they feel?

How does a 3H feel or those specific brands? No idea about the vapor fly or aeroburner specifically, but 3H is a nice club to have. It's basically an easier to hit 5w for me

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been watching the NCAA women's championship the past couple days, and it's easy to forget that the players are the same age as Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Charley Hull, and Jessica Korda.

I chalk it up to the LPGA players looking older and more weathered from more sun. Wear sunscreen people!

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 26, 2016

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Got my 3 iron in. drat this thing is so much fun to hit. It came with a recoil shaft but I think want to switch to the hybrid Spieth set up. hope to get out if the weather holds up this weekend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Unknownmass posted:

Got my 3 iron in. drat this thing is so much fun to hit. It came with a recoil shaft but I think want to switch to the hybrid Spieth set up. hope to get out if the weather holds up this weekend.
Isn't the recoil already a light shaft? Spieth has an AD-DI 105.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Anyone use a Swing Analyzer that works with Android and what are your thoughts on them?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I've been watching the NCAA women's championship the past couple days, and it's easy to forget that the players are the same age as Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Charley Hull, and Jessica Korda.

I chalk it up to the LPGA players looking older and more weathered from more sun. Wear sunscreen people!

I watched a bit of the final yesterday and was surprised by how poorly some of them were putting. Like I know it's high pressure and the greens were probably faster than they're used to but some of the putts were horrendous.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

daslog posted:

Anyone use a Swing Analyzer that works with Android and what are your thoughts on them?

I have a Swingbyte 2.0 that I has used once that works with android. Info is pretty helpful generally, but the app for android wasn't as full featured at the iOS one was at the time. Might be different now. It was the only thing that didn't get stolen out of my car with my clubs because it somehow had come out of the pocket it was in and was sitting in the corner of the trunk obscured from view. :D

Edit: The info it gives isn't bad, but you have to know what it means and how it relates to a swing as good or bad. For the longest time I thought the outline on the swing path changing to red meant it was off, but that was just the club head speed peak area.. I just checked out some old swing data of a PW I had vs one of the pro swings they have logged for comparison and aside from mine being 5mph slower club head the rest is similar. lie angle, attack, etc. So who knows.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the recoil already a light shaft? Spieth has an AD-DI 105.
Its not a bad shaft, but the shaft length is a little short for me and I would like to go stiffer with the long irons. I have never played around with a 3 iron before so this is pretty new so far.