Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Mr Underhill posted:

BTW Sumer is made by Goons if I'm not mistaken, has a real nice concept and appropriate art, and is at 89% funded with 2 days and change to go, I think they're worth supporting. And, not that it would make a difference (to me, anyway) but it's not pixel art.

Looks like...a M.U.L.E. clone that might not suck? Is that too much to hope for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OtspIII posted:

I'm sure this isn't my last Kickstarter, so lesson learned! We did do a ton of feedback hunting in other places, though--one big thing I learned is that the KS staff are actually pretty amazing at giving you advice if you're willing to reach out to them/listen to what they say.

In other news, we just funded! I don't even know how to describe how I feel right now. Thanks to all the backers that came from this thread!

Congrats on getting your game funded by the way :)

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 24, 2016

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Merrill Grinch posted:

Looks like...a M.U.L.E. clone that might not suck? Is that too much to hope for?

Yeah, M.U.L.E. and board games were our two big inspirations for Sumer. M.U.L.E.'s marketplace mechanic in specific was pretty directly responsible for our real time auction. I just really want M.U.L.E.-likes to become a thing--it's crazy that nobody else has really tried to follow in its footsteps in the 33ish years or so since it came out.

multijoe posted:

Congrats on getting your game funded by the way :)

Thanks!

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, M.U.L.E. and board games were our two big inspirations for Sumer. M.U.L.E.'s marketplace mechanic in specific was pretty directly responsible for our real time auction. I just really want M.U.L.E.-likes to become a thing--it's crazy that nobody else has really tried to follow in its footsteps in the 33ish years or so since it came out.

There's been several small-developer attempts but they've all missed the charm and simplicity or simply priced themselves far too high for a niche title. Subtrade in the 90's. Space Horse seems to have completely vanished from the internet, which is probably for the best. Planet M.U.L.E. is still going along weakly (but with a M.U.L.E. boardgame in the works). Good luck on replicating the most important part of making a M.U.L.E. game work it's the title song

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's pretty funny, but to be fair it's probably about how I'd play with a gamepad rather than m+kb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you really shouldn't do video of an fps with a gamepad if it's an fps that can be played on the pc.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The Moon Monster posted:

That's pretty funny, but to be fair it's probably about how I'd play with a gamepad rather than m+kb.

Ditto. It sort of shows how much average FPS mechanics have changed due to the gamepad. You could play a fast 360 degrees awareness game like Doom, but you'd be working a lot harder for the same results as a middling m+kb player.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
What does people being bad at Doom have to do with Dyack/KS?

Dyack's had a chip on his shoulder about the games press for years now so his appeal to GG isn't purely cynical, he's genuinely in on all that poo poo. Will it matter?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

No

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

OtspIII posted:

In other news, we just funded! I don't even know how to describe how I feel right now. Thanks to all the backers that came from this thread!

That's awesome, congratulations. Looking forward to playing it

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

OtspIII posted:

Woohoo, congrats! Now comes the hard part, you actually have to make the drat' thing :D

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
What're people's thoughts on Saurian, the :rock: DINOSAUR SURVIVAL SIMULATOR :rock: ? The idea seems wildly fun and I think the models look pretty dang good but even with the obvious attention to detail, the environments feel a bit....bare bones from the trailer. Hopefully if it's fully funded that could improve quite a bit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience?ref=project_tumblr

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 25, 2016

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

What're people's thoughts on Saurian, the :rock: DINOSAUR SURVIVAL SIMULATOR :rock: ? The idea seems wildly fun and I think the models look pretty dang good but even with the obvious attention to detail, the environments feel a bit....bare bones from the trailer. Hopefully if it's fully funded that could improve quite a bit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1379624404/saurian-an-open-world-dinosaur-survival-experience?ref=project_tumblr
That budget breakdown is all kinds of weird.

So they already have a team of 15 people 14 people and a bird who apparently worked for free for 3 years.
And now they need $21k to split among 5 of those people to get them to continue working for another 24 weeks?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Epic Tavern seems like a fun premise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Megazver posted:

Epic Tavern seems like a fun premise.

Stupid gays, always being 'that one guy'. :what:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Yikes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You are... kinda reaching. In an embarrassing fashion.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mr Underhill posted:

Woohoo, congrats! Now comes the hard part, you actually have to make the drat' thing :D
No, I think you build a house now instead?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was browsing games kickstarters and ran across Feudums which probably has the worst effort:success ratio I've ever seen in a videogame kickstarter. I guess people who are already playing mobile 4Xs are committed to their drug of choice while people who aren't don't want to touch the genre with a 10 foot pole. Also not really the sort of thing gaming news sites would cover. Have their been any big F2P kickstarter success stories?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

What does people being bad at Doom have to do with Dyack/KS?

Dyack's had a chip on his shoulder about the games press for years now so his appeal to GG isn't purely cynical, he's genuinely in on all that poo poo. Will it matter?

If Gamergate ends up getting us a new Eternal Darkness that would be alright. That said, on the remote chance this game ever gets made I have a hard time imagining what convincing sanity effects would look like at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If a new Eternal Darkness by Denny D came out and wasn't complete and utter poo poo I would literally eat my hat, toxx me on that poo poo if you want. Not even an iota of a chance.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

fruit hat or real hat let's get it hammered out in advance this time

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Can you sew the hat yourself first
With googly eyes on top

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will sew myself a fake real fruit hat and eat it with a side helping of delicious shoes.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LemonLimeTime posted:

My friend is programming on this. I haven't kept up with the development so I won't really speak to whether you should back it or not (apart from that it's my friend and I will definitely be doing so regardless) but I played a very early build where he was experimenting with self-taught AI (which was cut, thank god) where triceratops learned to hunt down and genocide all predators whenever they spawned and eventually all rival herbivores as well, so that was fun. The potential is there.

e; I can also say they aren't joking about the fuckton of research that has been pumped into this. These guys are some real hardcore paleontology nerds

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 25, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fuligin posted:

My friend is programming on this. I haven't kept up with the development so I won't really speak to whether you should back it or not (apart from that it's my friend and I will definitely be doing so regardless) but I played a very early build where he was experimenting with self-taught AI (which was cut, thank god) where triceratops learned to hunt down and genocide all predators whenever they spawned and eventually all rival herbivores as well, so that was fun. The potential is there.

e; I can also say they aren't joking about the fuckton of research that has been pumped into this. These guys are some real hardcore paleontology nerds

This looks like the most interesting game ever set in South Dakota, and all they had to do was go back 66 million years in time.

The tiers with the Dakotaraptor claw replica got slammed pretty hard, that's really cool. I'm in for the basic pack with the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Fuligin posted:

I love stories about learning AI that illustrate why it's useless for games unless someone can come up with a working heuristic for "makes the game more fun."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Dinosaurs with feathers are cool and good and fun to look at.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

lol, only the artists are getting paid. This project is dead before it has even started.

The project is a husband and wife team with the husband being the programmer, it's not like the programmer is a freelance "rev share" guy they found on a forum. They're doing this in Unity where there's adventure game plugins, too, it's not like they're making an MMO.

Lurdiak posted:

you're going to have to draw a diagram of where the gay guy is in that gif because I'm not seeing him

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I noticed the dwarf wizard dude tipping his hat.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pureauthor posted:

I noticed the dwarf wizard dude tipping his hat.

M'laddie

Since it hasn't been brought up in this thread, Mighty No. 9 released a new trailer and it's... uh... well it's something alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngbHOz--oc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Deep Silver: The Uwe Boll of video games

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ikari Worrier posted:

M'laddie

Since it hasn't been brought up in this thread, Mighty No. 9 released a new trailer and it's... uh... well it's something alright.

It looks like the worst game ever made

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ikari Worrier posted:

M'laddie

There is like absolutely 0 chance that that pause when you get points wouldn't at some point cause me to gently caress up and die. That's horrendous, especially when you're getting so many.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man this is too funny.
https://twitter.com/t_aizu/status/735652527450947584

This is the head of IntiCreates. It's like watching a parent getting ready to punish a child.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The stupidest part is that they (Deep Silver or Comcept, I don't remember who) already put out a trailer with an obnoxious "ironic" voiceover and got dumped on for it but they decided the best option was to double down? Why? They must understand people are looking for excuses to tear them apart, so why give them anything to work with?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have to assume they've given up on the original audience and are desperately attempting to appeal to gullible kids.
EDIT: You know, I think that's Matt Mercer's voice? Voicing that probably hurt.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 26, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Man after all those delays and after the announcement that it was done and it still is a month away from release? IDGAF because it looks nothing like a Mega Man game but lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I watched that trailer without sound but I really don't know why they keep doing close up zooms of the models. They're inoffensive as long as they're kept at the size/distance of the actual gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the level design looks really bad and because you can chain combos i bet all of it needs to be large hallways full of enemies for it to work