Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have a dual monitor setup, and I usually play games on my main monitor while throwing an LP or something on youtube on the secondary one. Since upgrading to Windows 10 every time I do this it impacts performance quite noticeably, my fps drop from around 90 to 40something playing Dirt Rally, the input feels weird, like it's processing it in bursts, and youtube playback is choppy as well.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I know it's not normal since I've been doing this for years on 7 without any impact on games whatsoever. I have hardware acceleration disabled on chrome, and it's playing HTML5 (so no hardware acceleration on flash to tweak).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Avenida posted:

Given that those are steps that aren't necessary for 90% of Windows installs, yes, I would consider that "jumping through hoops".

Well, then installing Windows is "jumping through hoops" then, because 90% of computers users never install a new version.

Adding "downloading a driver" and "unzipping it to a directory on a thumb drive" is less onerous than that, because people download and unzip from the internet all the time.

If you want proof of that, just look at the InfoSec thread. :v:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Avenida posted:

Given that those are steps that aren't necessary for 90% of Windows installs, yes, I would consider that "jumping through hoops".

I feel like the thing missing here is that 90% of Windows installs are either old machines with USB 2.0 where the drivers are built into everything going back to XP, or they're new machines with Windows 8.1/10 which has drivers for USB 3.0. If you stick a USB 3.0 card in a Windows 7 machine you'll have to install drivers, and this is basically the same situation but the 3.0 controller just happens to be built into the motherboard instead of an add-on card. This isn't really a new thing, you're just noticing it because now a new revision of USB has come out since your favorite Windows revision.

Also, in general many people seem to have developed this expectation that they shouldn't have to install drivers for things built into the motherboard. This is often the case and it's a huge improvement over how things used to be (try installing XP and seeing how many drivers are included, even on a system from the era), but it doesn't always work and now that it's taken for granted that's considered a failure instead of just the way things are.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 22, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Eletriarnation posted:

I would guess that the Education version is exclusively for volume licensing agreements.

I got my copy from DreamSpark Premium (what they renamed MSDNAA to), so I don't know.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Col.Kiwi posted:

The problem is that your windows 7 disc does not have USB and/or SATA drivers for your Z170 motherboard because you are attempting to install a 7 year old OS on new hardware. If you really want to continue with this you now have enough detail to google for solutions, but you will have to jump through some hoops.

Avenida posted:

'Drop the needed drivers on the USB' is fewer words than he used to explain why he wouldn't be choosing to simply give the answer.
I suppose you can defend that, but you would have to jump through some hoops to do it.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Khablam posted:

'Drop the needed drivers on the USB' is fewer words than he used to explain why he wouldn't be choosing to simply give the answer.
I have done lots of tech support both professionally and non-professionally, I have learned to expect that giving a short answer like "Drop the needed drivers on the USB" will lead to 5 followup questions about where to find the drivers and how to put them on the install media or load them into the installer. I've worked in a computer repair shop for a couple years and I can tell you from experience that with many people there would be 30 minutes of explaining needed. Considering there are plenty of step by step guides that already exist, I think telling him what to google for instead of explaining in detail was reasonable of me. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, just telling him what to google for since he didn't know what exactly the problem was. Once he knows what to google for he can get whatever level of detail he needs in terms of instructions.

Edit: and considering he didn't figure out on his own what the problem was, no offense to him or you but he's going to need more details than "get the needed drivers" or he wouldn't have needed help diagnosing the problem.

Maybe some people think of "jumping through hoops" as meaning something that is a big pain in the rear end? To me it just means "you will need to follow some extra steps" so maybe that's why there was confusion. I'm genuinely surprised that there is actually this much discussion about this but hey it's cause we're all nerds and nerds are awesome.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 22, 2016

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

Maybe some people think of "jumping through hoops" as meaning something that is a big pain in the rear end?

That's exactly what the phrase means

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

djssniper posted:

That's exactly what the phrase means
Well idioms don't really have exact definitions but when you look here

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jump_through_hoops

It does not mention a lot of effort being involved. Can't say I've run into this misunderstanding when using the phrase in the past.

This is the nerdiest post I've ever made. Are we still talking about this?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Col.Kiwi posted:

Well idioms don't really have exact definitions but when you look here

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jump_through_hoops

It does not mention a lot of effort being involved. Can't say I've run into this misunderstanding when using the phrase in the past.

This is the nerdiest post I've ever made. Are we still talking about this?

It's commonly defined as 'perform a difficult and gruelling series of tests' so yes, the language you used was problematic and doing a weird half-step walk back on it doesn't really get you anywhere, especially when you later give the reason as "most people are idiots so I was treating him like an idiot" -- despite that you didn't even give a hint what he might want to be looking for.

Your post smelled of someone tutting and sighing as they spoke down to someone whilst giving basic advice; something you get from lovely tier1 tech support.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Col.Kiwi posted:

The problem is that your windows 7 disc does not have USB and/or SATA drivers for your Z170 motherboard because you are attempting to install a 7 year old OS on new hardware. If you really want to continue with this you now have enough detail to google for solutions, but you will have to jump through some hoops.

ahahaha I had this same issue with a build last week. Finally said fuckit and installed 10 with no product key, then ran the windows 7 install from within 10 and registered it, THEN reinstalled 10 from scratch and it picked up the product key and all is good

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

ahahaha I had this same issue with a build last week. Finally said fuckit and installed 10 with no product key, then ran the windows 7 install from within 10 and registered it, THEN reinstalled 10 from scratch and it picked up the product key and all is good

Protip: You can install 10 using a 7 or 8 product key as long as the upgrade offer is live.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

Khablam posted:

]despite that you didn't even give a hint what he might want to be looking for

Your post smelled of someone tutting and sighing as they spoke down to someone whilst giving basic advice; something you get from lovely tier1 tech support.
Didn't give a hint? Huh? I told him exactly what the problem was, I just left it with him to google the solution. I also never called anyone an idiot or anything close to it. Lacking a specific piece of knowledge doesn't make someone an idiot.

I was about to say I don't understand why you are being so hostile so me when I have not been at all hostile towards anyone. But I see what you say about how my post "smelled" so I guess this is one of those misunderstandings caused by text posts not conveying tone of voice. Believe me, I was far from tutting or sighing when I made that post. I was glad to point him in the right direction. I'm sorry that I managed to sound smarmy by accident. I was trying to help and clearly I should've phrased it differently. Let's stop this derail.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So the start button continues to "break", necessitating a reboot. Anyone else experience this? I've seen this at work and at home now, makes it a real pain when you want to lock a workstation or etc.

Also I have to say that the latest upgrade trick they pulled was pretty despicable, that's some poo poo I expect from malware.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Gunslinger posted:

So the start button continues to "break", necessitating a reboot. Anyone else experience this? I've seen this at work and at home now, makes it a real pain when you want to lock a workstation or etc.

Also I have to say that the latest upgrade trick they pulled was pretty despicable, that's some poo poo I expect from malware.
Windows Key + L to lock your workstation. Faster than using the Start Menu, even when it does decide to work.

I personally gave up on the stock Start Menu and installed a replacement. Check out: Classic Shell, Start10, StartIsBack.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

You mean the articles written by rich macusers that have newer used/seen Windows and don't know that pressing X simply closes the window and nothing else. Or something else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

xamphear posted:

Windows Key + L to lock your workstation. Faster than using the Start Menu, even when it does decide to work.

I personally gave up on the stock Start Menu and installed a replacement. Check out: Classic Shell, Start10, StartIsBack.

No that's what I mean, the windows key itself just gets disabled until a reboot. You can't use any windows key shortcuts. The actual start button still works. I've seen this across several different configurations now and can't figure it out.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

MikusR posted:

You mean the articles written by rich macusers that have newer used/seen Windows and don't know that pressing X simply closes the window and nothing else. Or something else.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3074339/windows/how-to-escape-that-forced-windows-10-upgrade-you-mistakenly-agreed-to.html

quote:

Normally, closing the dialog box by clicking the red box in the upper righthand corner automatically opted out. Over the weekend, clicking that red box started opting users in to the upgrade.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

The Gunslinger posted:

No that's what I mean, the windows key itself just gets disabled until a reboot. You can't use any windows key shortcuts. The actual start button still works. I've seen this across several different configurations now and can't figure it out.

I had the Start button (on the screen, not the keyboard) break, and I couldn't open the Start menu or stuff like volume in the taskbar. I eventually tracked down that it was Dropbox interfering with that, and disable the plugin. I had to re-install it for work purposes (and 1Password), but that seems to have stopped happening. However, I could still do Windows+E to open an Explorer window, so I don't know if this is relevant to you or not. Try booting into safe mode or try disabling some start up services/apps.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

The Gunslinger posted:

Does the key combination Ctrl+Esc to open the start menu still work?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

If you upgrade to 10 and then roll back to 7 before end of July, are you still in some database that allows you to re-upgrade to 10 after that, or are you in the same position as if you never upgraded(missed the boat)?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

If you upgrade to 10 and then roll back to 7 before end of July, are you still in some database that allows you to re-upgrade to 10 after that, or are you in the same position as if you never upgraded(missed the boat)?

As far as I know you are good forever if you get activated once. I don't think they go through and purge inactive licenses from the server or anything like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

So long as the hardware doesn't change from when you uninstalled Windows 10, it'll have the license. But if you significantly change the hardware while 10 isn't installed, it will not have a license.

So finish any hardware changes by early July and make sure 10 was installed for them, and you'll be good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Gunslinger posted:

Just to get the stupid question out of the way, do you have a "gamer" keyboard that has a Windows key disable function?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Sion posted:

I'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 and the Windows Update window has been stuck on 'Preparing for the Upgrade please wait' with the useless green constantly scrolling progress bar for 2 hours now.

The Windows update window in Control Panel says that it's Downloading Windows 10. I thought it'd already done this. Is there something fucky and can I get more information on what it's actually doing to see if something's broken?

Restart the Windows Update Service in Admin tools>services

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Question: I changed the hard drive in my laptop from a HDD to an SDD and didn't transfer anything, nothing worth saving. I used a windows 10 flash drive to install Win10 and thinking I could just plop in the CD key from the other hard drive, but it wont work. Do I need a new copy of Windows?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Schroeder91 posted:

Question: I changed the hard drive in my laptop from a HDD to an SDD and didn't transfer anything, nothing worth saving. I used a windows 10 flash drive to install Win10 and thinking I could just plop in the CD key from the other hard drive, but it wont work. Do I need a new copy of Windows?
Still have the HDD? Drop it in, do the upgrade to 10, be sure it activates, then swap the drives again. Should activate the fresh install when it checks in again.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Still have the HDD? Drop it in, do the upgrade to 10, be sure it activates, then swap the drives again. Should activate the fresh install when it checks in again.

The old drive already has 10 on it. Literally just installed it on my desktop too :sigh: It's not wiped yet, as I'm actually on it right now so I could get the key to attempt to activate it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Schroeder91 posted:

What key are you using? The key you'll get from keyfinders in a freely upgraded install is a dummy key. What should work is the key your previous Windows 7 or 8 was installed with.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I used a script to pull the key from the registry on the old hdd. I contacted support though and we found out I installed the wrong Windows. I needed Windows 10 Home and installed Windows 10 Home Single Language :doh: Upgraded and it activated.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Schroeder91 posted:

The old drive already has 10 on it. Literally just installed it on my desktop too :sigh: It's not wiped yet, as I'm actually on it right now so I could get the key to attempt to activate it.
If 10 was every activated on that laptop it should activate again on a fresh install.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
How does the Win10 license-hardware link work with a virtual machine? Do I need a different license for each VM/type of VM(say KVM vs virtualbox) or just one for the mobo?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd think the "digital entitlement" license doesn't work for VMs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Just to get the stupid question out of the way, do you have a "gamer" keyboard that has a Windows key disable function?

No and I've seen this both at home and at work despite wildly different software/hardware configs. It hasn't happened today so far but next time it does I will just dump my whole event viewer log and start looking.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taqueso posted:

How does the Win10 license-hardware link work with a virtual machine? Do I need a different license for each VM/type of VM(say KVM vs virtualbox) or just one for the mobo?

nielsm posted:

I'd think the "digital entitlement" license doesn't work for VMs.

It worked fine for me in Virtualbox, but I assume further upgrades of the VM with different hardware might change too much.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

Yeah that's a known bug with the new build.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I upgraded from W7 a while back. I'm about to upgrade my cpu+mobo, which I know invalidates the upgraded license. OP says I might still be able to reinstall with my W7 key - is this still just a maybe, or has it been confirmed one way or another since? Either way, would I have to actually reinstall, or can I just plug in a product key and that's that?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zack Ater posted:

I upgraded from W7 a while back. I'm about to upgrade my cpu+mobo, which I know invalidates the upgraded license. OP says I might still be able to reinstall with my W7 key - is this still just a maybe, or has it been confirmed one way or another since? Either way, would I have to actually reinstall, or can I just plug in a product key and that's that?

You can definitely reinstall with your W7 key, AFAIK. You definitely can't just re-enter the key and have it work. You might be able to call MS support and ask them to re-activate without needing to install, but this is not officially supported and seems to depend on how helpful the person who answers the phone is feeling that day.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ToxicFrog posted:

You can definitely reinstall with your W7 key, AFAIK. You definitely can't just re-enter the key and have it work. You might be able to call MS support and ask them to re-activate without needing to install, but this is not officially supported and seems to depend on how helpful the person who answers the phone is feeling that day.

Alright, thanks. I'll give support a call, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?