Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
what's the reasoning for getting the M70x over the M40x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fidelio X2s are currently around €220 on Amazon UK, if they ship to your country.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm at a bit of a crossroads. Fidelio X2 price dropped on amazon, so instead of just refunding the difference they refunded me the whole thing and told me to re-order, which I did.

The original cans I got were Woox manufactured, and the cheaper ones were Gibson (left). You can see some differences, metal rings being a different colour, different texture to leather, and different material for the cups. The Woox one is a longer velour while the Gibson a foam kind of thing.

Issue is not sure which to return. The Woox have deeper bass (~5Hz using http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php) but the Woox are slightly imbalanced in the higher frequencies. The Gibson have flatter mids but a weaker bass. Really not sure what to do. Both pads are glued.

e: Actually the imbalance might be me, it all but goes away when I flip the L and R inputs. Think I'll keep the Woox ones, something is just a bit off with the Gibson ones.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 20, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ninkobei posted:

what's the reasoning for getting the M70x over the M40x?

They are COMPLETELY loving different headphones. THe m40 are a bit muddier and heavier on the bass. The m40x are better balanced and more comfortable imo.

Listening to them back to back is like looking through frosted glass vs crystal clear freshly windex-ed glass.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can also suggest these Shure IEMs for the "blocking out my annoying coworkers" crowd.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

"Only" $99 on Amazon.

To put it into perspective I sit literally right next to a window and I like to keep it open if it's not too cold out. It also rains a ton here and there's been a few times that I glance over to look outside only to see the weathers gone from cloudy to full on raining.

Thanks! These seem about perfect, so I pulled the trigger.

One of the reviewers described going over to his shouty, hard of hearing grandma's house, putting these on, and grandma being transformed into Ziggy Stardust with a spatula. :laugh:

Edit: they arrived, and they're v. good :yaycloud:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 23, 2016

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking for a few different suggestions on earbuds headphones.

First, my price range is around $100 for some good quality earbud headphones. I really really like the comfort of my Bose sound sport headphones but the cord just broke. I see in this thread people say Bose isn't worth the money. I tried some Sennheiser IEMs and absolutely hated the fit and the fact that I could hear any time the cord was bumped. So I guess I'm wondering if there's better or cheaper headphones that have a similar fit to Bose sound sport.

Secondly, can anyone recommend the best earbud headphones for under $20, again I don't like IEMs. Just looking for something to listen at work so I don't want to spend too much.

Finally, I'm curious if there are any stealth earbuds which are completely wireless Bluetooth capable that are worth using at all. I'm fine with only one ear and don't care too much about sound quality because again it's for using at work. I see Amazon and eBay have some Chinese brand for around $20 which I might give a try. But I don't want to have it sound terribly distorted or have zero battery life. Would also consider much more expensive sets if they are actually good quality and support both ears.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are triple flange tips really THAT much better for blocking out sound? I'm considering buying a pack of them for my SE215s but reviews also say they "lose their shape" really fast which sounds like a terrible thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are triple flange tips really THAT much better for blocking out sound? I'm considering buying a pack of them for my SE215s but reviews also say they "lose their shape" really fast which sounds like a terrible thing.

Yes, triple flanges will be better compared to single flange tips. However, Shure foams are already very good for noise isolation so if you're comfortable with those don't bother.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You don't need to let this restrict your headphone choice. You can order a separate cable that does just this.
https://www.engadget.com
You can even get ones with a mic.
http://www.amazon.com/MEE-audio-Replacement-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00K36XWG0
And they should be able to control the iphone, no prob.
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/ten-hidden-controls-of-the-iphone-headphones/

This is awesome! Thank you. I didn't know that.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In your budget I'd still have to say the best bang for your buck headphones are gonna be open backed. The Sennheiser HD598SE and Phillips SHP 9500 are excellent choices. If you really like the bass and want a fun sounding headphone, the Fidelio X2's are SOMETIMES on sale but they'll also fit your budget if they're not.

As for headphones for your iphone... I'd still recommend getting closed backed, so as not to piss off anyone in proximity to you.
Maybe ATH-M70x? They're really comfy and sound great. Mine came with a carrying case and a ton of cables too.

Those look good. i''ll go for the the ATH-M70x for my phone.
still not sure whether to choose senheiser or philips. If the Fidelo x2 is worth the money, i may get that one.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey goons. You put me onto the Audio-Technica ath-M50s a while back and they worked out great. I need something again and am wondering if you can help.

Budget: Sub $100
Source: iPhone 6.
Isolation: The tough part. I don't want isolation. I need to be able to hear what's around me because I'm going to use them out and about, but I want to minimize leakage because I am also going to use them at work.
Preferred type: Earbud. IEM if there's just nothing good sub $100 for buds. I have the good audio quality covered in a higher price range, so they don't have to sound great, but I want something that's got reasonable quality for the price.
Tonal balance: Balanced. Prefer emphasized mids if anything. Can't handle harsh treble. It fatigues my ears.
Past phones: I still use the Audio-Technica Ath-M50x cans. I love the detachable cable and the sound quality. Nothing is particularly emphasized about them, and I appreciate that. I'm not a bass head but I wish there was a tiny bit more low end there. I had a pair of Vsonic (GR07s?) Can't remember the model number that I really liked but the cable didn't hold up. They had a huge soundstage and were ultra clear on top of that. Though too harsh in the treble for my liking. Those are the only two sets of really nice phones I've owned.
Preferred music: Metal. Though I listen to literally everything so I don't have a genre preference. My wide variety of tunes means I need a workhorse pair that can handle a lot of variance.

Most important factors are the price and the ability to hear surrounding sounds. The rest is icing. Thanks.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Porta-pros?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sefal posted:

This is awesome! Thank you. I didn't know that.

Those look good. i''ll go for the the ATH-M70x for my phone.
still not sure whether to choose senheiser or philips. If the Fidelo x2 is worth the money, i may get that one.

They're awesome, no doubt. But they're the least comfortable headphones I own. Also, EVERY sound is very forthcoming. They're very "present" and things sounds artificially presented. They're a ton of fun though. They've definitely got a lot of quality bass to them.

Think of it this way, if the M70x are you being in a room with the orchestra... the X2's are you watching it in the nicest surround-sound theater you've ever been in. Close, but no cigar. Amazing, but not real life.
Another downside is they're very fatiguing. Unlike their little brother the SHP9500, they're heavy on the head, and they just bombard you with sound to the point where it hurts to listen.
The funny thing is, the louder you make them, the louder you want to make them.

The SHP9500 are a little more laid back and flatter sounding than the X2. Closer to the Sennheiser 598's, but not nearly as crisp or clear. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the HD598.

Sorry for the word salad.
Anyway, here's my take:

SHP9500 - Best bang for the buck. Very good $60 headphones. Fairly flat sounding, very comfortable (but loose if you have a small head). The soundstage is alright, and you can hear plenty of detail in the music, but not nearly as much as the HD598 or X2. They're only 32ohm with 101db sensitivity which makes them SUPER easy to drive. You could probably plug them straight into a guitar with no amp and hear poo poo (albeit not well).
Fidelio X2 - Have you ever been to a party and run into "that guy"? The super intense bro, doing keg stands and crushing beercans on his head with a girl on each shoulder? These headphones are that guy. They are super awesome bro, but not something you can stand for long periods of time. THEY'VE GOT WHAT PLANTS CRAVE! ...but not what they need right now. The louder they go, the more awesome they get, without exception. I still have yet to drive these to the point of distortion, for fear of popping my eyeballs out of their sockets from db. They've got that bass that makes you want to pump your fist and jump around screaming with the crowd (alone in your little room while the neighbor's dog watches you with it's head cocked.) They do all sorts of music very well (yes even classical and Jazz), even if it's not completely "accurate." These could easily be a gateway drug to more expensive audiophile headphones.
HD598 - Well balanced, superbly comfortable (see; angels licking earlobes) great fit for all head shapes. Fantastic soundstage, flat and accurate (not to the point of being boring though). Unlike the X2, these have their limits but you can enjoy them for extended listening periods and still want more.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They're awesome, no doubt. But they're the least comfortable headphones I own.

Unlike their little brother the SHP9500, they're heavy on the head

Dude you keep saying this. Just understand that when you review something for someone, you should include the problems that you specifically experience, but please note what creates these problems so that people can decide if those issues will affect them.

The X2s balance poorly on smaller heads due to their specific fit mechanism. This makes them seem heavier, and less comfortable in general, for those people. However, most people will not have these issues, and in fact, the balance of the X2s on many people will be extremely good.

So my advice to people looking into the X2s would be to go try them and see how you feel. If that's not possible, and your head is of average size or above, you can be fairly assured that they will balance fine and be comfortable.

Also, you mention that the X2s are a possible entry point into audiophile headphones, but what does that entail exactly? They're better, in my personal estimation, than anything even close to the X2s budget range. The only substantial upgrade in my eyes would be a pair of really good planar magnetics, like some Audezes or something, but those start at like $800 on sale.

The only exception here would be if someone is looking for headphones for a specific genre of music. In that case, the playing field widens and there are plenty of headphones that do specific things better. But for an all-around headphone, the X2 is the best I've ever heard under high-quality planars.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 26, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Taima posted:

Dude you keep saying this. Just understand that when you review something for someone, you should include the problems that you specifically experience, but please note what creates these problems so that people can decide if those issues will affect them.

The X2s balance poorly on smaller heads due to their specific fit mechanism. This makes them seem heavier, and less comfortable in general, for those people. However, most people will not have these issues, and in fact, the balance of the X2s on many people will be extremely good.

So my advice to people looking into the X2s would be to go try them and see how you feel. If that's not possible, and your head is of average size or above, you can be fairly assured that they will balance fine and be comfortable.

Also, you mention that the X2s are a possible entry point into audiophile headphones, but what does that entail exactly? They're better, in my personal estimation, than anything even close to the X2s budget range. The only substantial upgrade in my eyes would be a pair of really good planar magnetics, like some Audezes or something, but those start at like $800 on sale.

The only exception here would be if someone is looking for headphones for a specific genre of music. In that case, the playing field widens and there are plenty of headphones that do specific things better. But for an all-around headphone, the X2 is the best I've ever heard under high-quality planars.

The X2's ear pads are firm and scratchy/itchy. Not soft and voluptuous. They have almost no give, even after wearing them for a few months. Whereas the HD598, HD650, SHP9500, and M70x were comfy right out of the box.
The fit and balance is fine, but are heavier than the SHP9500.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For what's it worth I found the X2s much more comfortable than my 558s, despite being heavier. Didn't feel any itchiness from my pads, and I could comfortably listen to them for 5 hours the other day. Basically YMMV and get them off a site with a good and easy return policy if you can't try them in a store.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The X2's ear pads are firm and scratchy/itchy. Not soft and voluptuous. They have almost no give, even after wearing them for a few months. Whereas the HD598, HD650, SHP9500, and M70x were comfy right out of the box.
The fit and balance is fine, but are heavier than the SHP9500.

I actually somehow got an original pair of Woox manufactured X2s from the Amazon Warehouse deal, and those pads kick rear end (though they collect lint, but that doesn't bother me personally). I cannot comment on the new pads, but I do hear they are different in some way. That being said, Philips supposedly "fixed" the QC issues on their new pairs at this point (and the removal of the QC warning on the Amazon page helps confirm that) so they may be back to the original pads at this point for people buying them now.

As for the weight, it's immaterial to me that the X2s are literally heavier, that makes sense because their build quality is as good as I've ever seen in any headphone under $1,000. The X2s use straight-up military grade construction that still amazes me to this day. I'm talking more about how the weight feels on your head, and for me at least, the X2s don't come off as heavy at all, because the balance is good. So I guess I'm referring more to "perceived weight" and less to actual weight.

The 598s do have great pads (I do own a pair, as well) but for me at least, no comfier than the X2 pads I own. I suspect that head size is really in play here because I have a pretty big head.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 26, 2016

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Budget - I'd like to top out around $100-$150 for headphones and maybe a bit less for earbuds
Source - A computer
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - I am not familiar enough to say.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like bass but comfort trumps that
Past Headphones - I have only had headsets
Preferred Music - This is for gaming

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Taima posted:

I actually somehow got an original pair of Woox manufactured X2s from the Amazon Warehouse deal, and those pads kick rear end (though they collect lint, but that doesn't bother me personally). I cannot comment on the new pads, but I do hear they are different in some way. That being said, Philips supposedly "fixed" the QC issues on their new pairs at this point (and the removal of the QC warning on the Amazon page helps confirm that) so they may be back to the original pads at this point for people buying them now.

As for the weight, it's immaterial to me that the X2s are literally heavier, that makes sense because their build quality is as good as I've ever seen in any headphone under $1,000. The X2s use straight-up military grade construction that still amazes me to this day. I'm talking more about how the weight feels on your head, and for me at least, the X2s don't come off as heavy at all, because the balance is good. So I guess I'm referring more to "perceived weight" and less to actual weight.

The 598s do have great pads (I do own a pair, as well) but for me at least, no comfier than the X2 pads I own. I suspect that head size is really in play here because I have a pretty big head.

Don't mistake. I love my X2's for their heft and their billet construction.
I just can't wear them for 8 hours like my 598's.
They're alright for a couple hours or so.

I'm wondering if it's what the pads are made of on the X2's. Because I'm fine for a minute but they start to get hot and itch after about 10 minutes.
Edit: I should note I got mine as an amazon warehouse return so maybe someone got bedbugs in them?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Is the Westone 4 the same as Westone W4?

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 27, 2016

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hello thread! I am looking for a pair of closed circumaural headphones. I'll be wearing them at work where we have a large open floorplan. I"m expecting to spend around $200, but $50 one way or the other is no big deal. Of course, if I could get what I want for $120 or something, that'd be just the bee's knees.

I wear glasses and having comfortable headphones is very important to me. The headphones will be plugged into my Macbook Pro. While I'd prefer not to mess with an amp, having to get one wouldn't be the end of the world, either. I'd prefer a headphone with a neutral sound.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Beyerdynamic 770 Pro but I'm not sure how pronounced the V-shaped sound is. I want to be able to listen to lot of different types of music, and not have the headphones make a certain genre sound crummy. Would these be OK for that?

Also, I'm not sure which impedance I should get. I gather that the higher the impedance, the better the sound (but I'd need an amp at 250, and might want one at 80). Shoud I just get the 250 and an amp? Any recommendations for an amp?

Thank you!

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
Question:

I am using a newer pair of Sennheiser HD600s with my old Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier plugged into my laptop, from there listening to audio FLAC files through Foobar. I was wondering, am I sacrificing sound quality using the Monoprice DAC? Would I be able to get noticeable difference in quality if I invested in a different setup for these headphones?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm trying to find a set of headphones to fit me. Budget is $50-ish. Any kind of bands are not an option because of my weird head shape. I need the in-cable controller/mic with volume control - source's an iPhone. And I can't do IEMs or anything that doesn't leak sound and air, because I need to be aware of my surroundings, and also because my ears get infected really easily.

And I have a serious problem with headphones falling out of my ears, especially when I'm exercising.

I used to have the Sennheiser 680i. They broke, and finding them new from a reliable seller now is very difficult. And there's no iPhone version for the MX 686G, which is a problem, as I've found I actually need volume control to adjust to ambient sound conditions.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
audio technica has a lot of models that dont use bands and would probably fit an odd head shape. I dont know what this style of headphone is called but its really comfortable to me for long periods

my ath-a900x need new earpads soon. I dont see it in compatibility lists in any aftermarket brands. What is a more common model that uses the same earpads i can use to search with? Im looking for thicker than stock pads with velour or alcantra with memory foam or something similar.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 29, 2016

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Taima posted:

If we're talking about why the X2 have been such a good entry point into audiophile headphones, its probably because its basically a higher fidelity version of a sound signature that most people will be familiar with. You've got same sort of boosted mid-bass and treble that you might get in most cheaper audio products, they're open backed so they more natural than closed backed headphones, and they have lower distortion than cheaper headphones.

But I really don't feel the X2 are really all that special, from a high fidelity standpoint, and are actually worse than the X1. As fun as they can be, the numerous peaks and dips in the upper midrange and treble can be fatiguing and I feel that huge mid-bass hump impacts midrange legibility.

I don't think they're even in the same league (as far as all-purpose usage goes) as the Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 or Hifiman HE400S with Focus pads for those reasons. Especially when the relative evenness of the Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 frequency response make their undesirable peaks so much easier to EQ out if needed.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 29, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fauxtool posted:

audio technica has a lot of models that dont use bands and would probably fit an odd head shape. I dont know what this style of headphone is called but its really comfortable to me for long periods

I'd call that a "band", and those would be completely unusable for me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You cant wear full size headphones if you cant have anything on your head. IEMs or clip ons are your best option

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about those behind the neck phones? Those could work

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowness 72 posted:

What about those behind the neck phones? Those could work

does anyone make that style or clip ons that are any good?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fauxtool posted:

You cant wear full size headphones if you cant have anything on your head. IEMs or clip ons are your best option

I can't use IEMs. And also, I don't want full size headphones, I suppose I should have specified "earbuds". The OMX 680i were a decent fit.

Neckbands are also right out. Clip-ons might work, as do ones where the earpiece goes behind the ear.

Basically my head is a 400lbs block of concrete, as far as size is concerned.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like you just want sport headphones. you say you don't want IEM but aren't the Senn 680i IEM? (they look like it to me..)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Chafe posted:

If we're talking about why the X2 have been such a good entry point into audiophile headphones, its probably because its basically a higher fidelity version of a sound signature that most people will be familiar with. You've got same sort of boosted mid-bass and treble that you might get in most cheaper audio products, they're open backed so they more natural than closed backed headphones, and they have lower distortion than cheaper headphones.

But I really don't feel the X2 are really all that special, from a high fidelity standpoint, and are actually worse than the X1. As fun as they can be, the numerous peaks and dips in the upper midrange and treble can be fatiguing and I feel that huge mid-bass hump impacts midrange legibility.

I don't think they're even in the same league (as far as all-purpose usage goes) as the Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880 or Hifiman HE400S with Focus pads for those reasons. Especially when the relative evenness of the Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880 frequency response make their undesirable peaks so much easier to EQ out if needed.

I think there's just a lot of variability to what is the best to different people.

I own the DT880s as well. They are really good for instrumentals in particular. They are not nearly as good as my X2s in terms of being a headphone for all genres. (in my estimation, YYMV) and I tend to roll with one headphone and not switch out, so the X2s win hands down for me in that contest.

Like I said, certain headphones will be better for certain genres, but the X2 is the best all-arounder I've ever heard.

Also just as an aside, the X2s were never meant to be perfectly neutral. They were built specifically in terms of what Philips thought was the most pleasing signature to the human ear. I happen to agree with Philips that their signature is amazing, but that is highly subjective.

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 29, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

endlessmonotony posted:

I can't use IEMs. And also, I don't want full size headphones, I suppose I should have specified "earbuds". The OMX 680i were a decent fit.

Neckbands are also right out. Clip-ons might work, as do ones where the earpiece goes behind the ear.

Basically my head is a 400lbs block of concrete, as far as size is concerned.

There are very few truly good earbuds or clip-ons on the market these days and even fewer with iPhone controls. You're basically look at Apple Earpods or your pick of whatever Sennheiser earbuds fit in your budget.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Budget - $200-$250 AUD
Source - Computer/Laptop and iPhone6
Isolation Requirements- Somewhat important, these are replacing headphones I currently use at the office and in bed when working or watching movies/YouTube, so I don't want to be waking up the wife.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Prefer over-ear phones
Preferred Tonal balance - This is the point I'm not sure on, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD201s now and like that sound. Also have a cheaper pair of TourCraft PH-50 I grabbed from a bargain bin and don't like the bass levels and muffled sound of those.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD201 - This is what my ears are 'used' to I suppose.
Preferred Music - Rock/Indie/Math - also use headphones for YouTube and Movies on the laptop.

Currently tossing up between the ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD598. I know that the HD598 are an open backed headphone, however I keep hearing that the sound and comfort are much better than the ATH-M50x. I don't listen to music at extreme volumes, so would the isolation of the HD598's be enough to prevent someone 3ft away from hearing anything?

**edit** Have also considered the Sennheiser HD280 and Shure SRH440 as less expensive alternatives.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

grack posted:

There are very few truly good earbuds or clip-ons on the market these days and even fewer with iPhone controls. You're basically look at Apple Earpods or your pick of whatever Sennheiser earbuds fit in your budget.

Oh, don't I ever know.

I've decided I'm recabling my OMX 680i, because gently caress all of this.

I can't use in-ear because without the air in my ears they get infected every time I go walking, and I can't use headbands or neckbands because I have cyborg poo poo bolted onto my skull after an "incident". The headphone market available for me is kinda slim without making my own. Which isn't THAT hard when you got ready elements, but still.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Budget - $300+ CAD
Source - Desktop/Laptop, LG G4
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear is most comfy
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Sony MDR 900 was my best pair ever. They had a 10 foot cable though and required a 3/4 to 1/8 adapter so that crimped their usability but GODDAMN the sound quality. Have also has Bose Ae2, those were marvelously light and comfy.
Preferred Music - Jazz, Folk, Blues, Some bass-heavy stuff. Also will be used for watching movies/youtube

I have a bluetooth headset for when I'm out and a gaming headset as well, so this is really for my relaxing time at home. I won't be packing these around so the ability to fold down doesn't matter. I have a large head (as in, most hats found in stores do not fit me. This had the wonderful side effect of me never buying a trilby when I was 16) so a larger fit is also preferred. A friend of mine got the V-Moda M100's last year and I thought those sounded phenomenal. I was currently looking at a pair on Amazon, but figured I would post here seeing if anyone had any suggestions!

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

treiz01 posted:

Budget - $300+ CAD
Past Headphones - Sony MDR 900 was my best pair ever. They had a 10 foot cable though and required a 3/4 to 1/8 adapter so that crimped their usability but GODDAMN the sound quality. Have also has Bose Ae2, those were marvelously light and comfy.
Preferred Music - Jazz, Folk, Blues, Some bass-heavy stuff. Also will be used for watching movies/youtube

I have a bluetooth headset for when I'm out and a gaming headset as well, so this is really for my relaxing time at home. I won't be packing these around so the ability to fold down doesn't matter. I have a large head (as in, most hats found in stores do not fit me. This had the wonderful side effect of me never buying a trilby when I was 16) so a larger fit is also preferred. A friend of mine got the V-Moda M100's last year and I thought those sounded phenomenal. I was currently looking at a pair on Amazon, but figured I would post here seeing if anyone had any suggestions!

I can vouch for the m100's, but I wouldn't call them balanced. Consider the meze 99 classic (closed) or the fidelio x2 and the he400S (open).

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I have had my Sennheiser HD 380 Pros for a while and the pads are shot. Trying to work out if I should replace them, or just spend US$40 on getting new pads? I don't really need "studio" headphones now as sadly I mainly just use them for gaming. Thoughts/Suggestions?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

absolem posted:

I can vouch for the m100's, but I wouldn't call them balanced. Consider the meze 99 classic (closed) or the fidelio x2 and the he400S (open).

Thanks, I'll check them out!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So I'm looking for an IEM for ~ $100 USD. The main requirement is memory wire to loop around the ear and an inline microphone to use with the cellphone. I've been looking at the shure se215 but the inline mic cable doesn't have memory wire. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

treiz01 posted:

Budget - $300+ CAD

Check out the Sony MDR-1R or MDR-1A, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and I like the sound of my 1Rs a lot, it's fun but non-fatiguing.