Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Someone finally found a way to combat manspreading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Someone finally found a way to combat manspreading.

It's only going to encourage subway masturbaters, though.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
This guy has 207 videos of just sitting and smiling for 4 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW54i24PGw1q7IxciRmgTA/videos

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Lime Tonics posted:

Here's an interview with the dude:

http://www.vice.com/read/meet-the-man-whos-filming-himself-sitting-and-smiling-for-four-hours-a-day-121

quote:

I guess I just don't really understand. Is it performance art?

Yeah, you could definitely place this into a performance-art context, and I definitely am interested in performance art and relational aesthetics. I think it's actually not so important what I consider it to be—it's more important what the viewer considers it. It's not necessary for me to categorize it. A book on this topic I was very influenced by is Claire Bishop's Artificial Hells: Participatory Art and the Politics of Spectatorship. She's brilliant. But I don't feel like this is a prescriptive thing; i's just what you see is what it is. If someone can watch it, I think they can understand it. Even if they think they don't understand it, I think that what they perceive to be their non-understanding is actually the correct understanding.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

quote:

At one point, somebody broke into your house and you didn't react, what was that like?

It was around Thanksgiving, and I heard a knock on the door, and I was the only one home. Then I heard some loud bangs and somebody lurking around downstairs while I was upstairs. This was already suspicious to me because my housemate was gone for work, so I had an idea that it was somebody breaking in, but I knew from the beginning that I wasn't going to move. Then I heard him, you know, creeping up the stairs towards my room, and he opened the door and said "Hello?" and I didn't move, and he closed the door and left the house. And then I just finished the session. I found out he had kicked in the door.

Wow. Why was it so important to maintain while somebody was breaking into your house. Why not take a break, see who it is, do another session later?

Well, I knew that as long as I didn't react, whatever was going to happen in that situation would make a really amazing video. I think making that video was more important to me at that time. It was streaming live, but I don't think there was anyone watching at that point. My heart was beating like crazy, but I knew that not reacting was the best thing to do, and now there's that guy out there with his own crazy story to tell.

:stare: The man's dedicated

Here's the vid for that, should start at the 2:36:30 timestamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrXakd_r6I&t=9390s

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
Is that seriously how dumb some criminals are? Knock and if noone comes to the door then noone must be home! Who would just ignore a door knock? He seems extremely happy that whole thing happened though, after the guy says Hello and closes the door his eyes and smiles seem to get wider.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
my favorite part about this are the disgruntled old dudes in the comment sections. SITTING AND SMILING HUH??? UNORIGINAL SON OF A BITCH

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Reminds me of that pipe smoking guy on YouTube with over 4000 videos of him smoking pipes. Can't link because on phone, but his name is Adolfo Mateo.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

CG pony thing is still creepier

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dresh posted:

:stare: The man's dedicated

Holy gently caress. If I were the burgular and all I went in and saw was some guy smiling at his computer screen the first thought would basically be "Oh I've passed into a horror movie. I need to go now".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Josef bugman posted:

Holy gently caress. If I were the burgular and all I went in and saw was some guy smiling at his computer screen the first thought would basically be "Oh I've passed into a horror movie. I need to go now".

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the burglar was traumatized. :allears:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah, that's way too close to the over-arching storyline from V/H/S for my comfort. The video of it gave me loving chills. :catstare:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Wait, is V/H/S actually good and scary?

E: vvv good to know, thanks! The dude works nights this month and I'd love to find some horror stuff to watch.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 12:19 on May 19, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Scathach posted:

Wait, is V/H/S actually good and scary?

They're anthologies, so certain segments in V/H/S 1 and 2 are quite good, some quite bad. V/H/S Viral is completely terrible though, that one can be skipped without missing anything.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
They are a mixed bag but definitely worth sitting through the weaker sections for the good parts, in a similar vein southbound was a pretty decent anthology of horror stuff recently I thought.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've only seen the first one, and while it was pretty good, it's worth noting that they're almost entirely shot with hand-held cameras. While that obviously makes sense for the premise, if you have issues with motion sickness like I do you'll spend about a third to half of the movie with your head between your knees, trying not to puke. I love horror, but found footage is mostly a no-go for me, which drastically cuts down what I can watch :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crow Jane posted:

I've only seen the first one, and while it was pretty good, it's worth noting that they're almost entirely shot with hand-held cameras. While that obviously makes sense for the premise, if you have issues with motion sickness like I do you'll spend about a third to half of the movie with your head between your knees, trying not to puke. I love horror, but found footage is mostly a no-go for me, which drastically cuts down what I can watch :smith:

Greetings fellow motion sickness sufferer! The entire genre of FPS games is lost to me. What I find often helps with stupid shaky-cam movies is to keep your peripheral vision active. Don't watch in the dark. Don't sit too close or watch on a huge screen. Pay attention to the physical edges of the screen. In the worst cases it really helps to shrink the viewing window, so more of the screen isn't shaking, though with especially murky horror movies a smaller window can make it hard to tell what is going on at all. You need to reassure your dumb brain that the whole world isn't moving, you are just looking at an object that is moving.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Greetings fellow motion sickness sufferer! The entire genre of FPS games is lost to me. What I find often helps with stupid shaky-cam movies is to keep your peripheral vision active. Don't watch in the dark. Don't sit too close or watch on a huge screen. Pay attention to the physical edges of the screen. In the worst cases it really helps to shrink the viewing window, so more of the screen isn't shaking, though with especially murky horror movies a smaller window can make it hard to tell what is going on at all. You need to reassure your dumb brain that the whole world isn't moving, you are just looking at an object that is moving.

Chewing gum helped me with FPSs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Finger foods

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Those fingers have four joints

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Those fingers have four joints

That's what makes it creepy.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Where's the blood?? This is what happens when you buy a hand out of season

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm phobic of hand injuries, so that's one of the few things in this thread to freak me out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LivesInGrey posted:

I'm phobic of hand injuries, so that's one of the few things in this thread to freak me out.

You should watch the movie "Suicide Circle (club)"

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Inzombiac posted:

You should watch the movie "Suicide Circle (club)"

Oh god don't do this ever. It's "NOPE"s all the way down.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

LivesInGrey posted:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

13Pandora13 posted:

Oh god don't do this ever. It's "NOPE"s all the way down.

Oh it's fine.
Afterwards you should invite your SO over and snuggle up for the RomCom "Audition".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I like the cut of your jib Inzombiac

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Choco1980 posted:

I like the cut of your jib Inzombiac

I like the cut of your flesh.

Supple, screaming flesh.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

fly sperm:

quote:

In certain fruit fly species, such as Drosophila bifurca, males measuring just a few millimeters produce sperm with a tail as long as 5.8-centimeters, researchers report May 25 in Nature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So basically we've all eaten fruit fly sperm. Probably inhaled some too. Good to know.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Regarding the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark chat from a few pages ago:

You guys are all crazy if you don't think that "Is Something Wrong?" is the best story/illustration in the series.

Diddums
Jan 31, 2014

The Endbringer posted:

Regarding the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark chat from a few pages ago:

You guys are all crazy if you don't think that "Is Something Wrong?" is the best story/illustration in the series.

Harold is the story/Illustration that messed me up the most as a kid.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Diddums posted:

Harold is the story/Illustration that messed me up the most as a kid.

Like every other story from all three books were super hosed up. I can't understand how they qualify as "kids" books.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Mogomra posted:

Like every other story from all three books were super hosed up. I can't understand how they qualify as "kids" books.

Because kids like being scared? Reading those books, for me at least, coincided with reading everything I could find about "true" ghost stories, cryptozoology and the like, and I certainly wasn't the only person in my third grade class who was into that stuff.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Peter North of the insect world.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Crow Jane posted:

Because kids like being scared? Reading those books, for me at least, coincided with reading everything I could find about "true" ghost stories, cryptozoology and the like, and I certainly wasn't the only person in my third grade class who was into that stuff.

Yeah, for sure. I'm gonna let my kid read them because I did as a kid too. It's just funny that somehow it's totally cool to have a story where a scarecrow skins people to wear their flesh in a kids book. :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I'm bad Ash, and you're good Ash! You're just a little goody two-shoes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless