Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think, even on the lowest graphical settings, your video game should probably be readable by people who haven't worked on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm going to be honest. Even though I'm going to actually be in Combo Breaker, I don't really even want to stop by and play anothergod's game due to how dismissive he is. Not only is his attitude a key reason to as of why his game isn't reaching its potential, but it's also really putting others off in wanting to help him.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

absolutely anything posted:

i think, even on the lowest graphical settings, your video game should probably be readable by people who haven't worked on it

Yeah I totally agree. I haven't really played the game on low graphics and didn't even think about it. I'm learning Unity coming from Multimedia Fusion and Game Maker so those extraneous options just blew past me. Lowest common denominator is definitely on the to fix list and we're definitely going to have to learn how to tweak it to meet a minimum.

Right now our target lowest card we're aiming for is an Intel HD4000. That means 3rd gen Intel core i5s (3ish year old even mobile) will be able to play them at like 720p. I was hoping my Intel HD530 could run it at 1080p but it wasn't working. I'm running it at 900p and it's pretty clean. The target card is low so most people with the console/PC combo should be able to play the game by connecting their console controllers. Eventually we want to have this on console, but like, it's pretty obvious we are far off from there. It didn't hurt to try it on a friends gaming rig at 4K and see how nicely it scaled up tho.

Btw rebel I really hope you have a good time at Combo Breaker. It sounds like it's gonna be a blast and I'm just glad I get to be around it at all. Just last night I had a bud who told me how stoked he was about the game and my game dev. He warned me that I butt heads w homies but trusts my taste and work ethic. He works in games (and isn't the bud who works at Avalanche) so I was pretty humbled. If you change your mind and wanna play that's cool I'll have a controller for you. If you don't I won't be mad.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm going to be honest. Even though I'm going to actually be in Combo Breaker, I don't really even want to stop by and play anothergod's game due to how dismissive he is. Not only is his attitude a key reason to as of why his game isn't reaching its potential, but it's also really putting others off in wanting to help him.

You should go there and say memes and shoot a video of it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cheers man, hope your game turns out good, but from a fellow game dev to a fellow game dev: instead of these long answers just say "Thanks for the feedback, i'll put it on my list of things to look at!". 13 concise words that convey the same effect, and allow you to change or not change it at your leisure, whatever you decide to do at least you won't have to have arguments on the internet about it!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 26, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

anothergod posted:

Btw, I get that really genuinely playing a game is a thing the takes effort and like who the gently caress am I to ask randoz for effort. It's more Smash or Towerfall than a traditional fightman, so I get that you wouldn't like it. I also get that it's weird and different and it breaks a lot of video game rules so, like, whatever I *get* that you guys don't like it. I'm just trying to make it easier if you want to try to like it, ya know? I dunno if you're serious about dhamster's approach to game criticism - I mean, fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz" - like if you want to treat that like "real criticism" that's your choice. My best argument that our game is in fact pretty not poo poo is "please play our game". I was nice about it initially because I had hoped someone else played it and was like, "I dunno guys, maybe he's onto something?"

I used the default graphics settings, besides lowering the resolution so that I could comfortably play the game in a window. If you want to write me off as a fucker for telling you that you that you should make your characters easy to see, I don't think anyone in this thread can help you.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

anothergod posted:

I mean, fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz" - like if you want to treat that like "real criticism" that's your choice.

wow you're kind of an rear end in a top hat

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

anothergod posted:

Yeah I totally agree. I haven't really played the game on low graphics and didn't even think about it.

anothergod posted:

I dunno if you're serious about dhamster's approach to game criticism - I mean, fucker played it on the worst graphic settings and was like, "LOL MSPaint Art guyzzz" - like if you want to treat that like "real criticism" that's your choice.

SO which is it? Do you care about people playing at lower graphics settings (Which they actually weren't but whatever) or are those people's complaints inherently dismissable because they're running at not maximum settings? You can't have it both ways, unless of course you're just looking for an excuse to dismiss their criticisms. Which is fair enough, I suppose, but if you're just here to get people to criticize your game and plug your ears and cry when anyone says anything you might just go ahead and stop posting because it's doing no one any favors. You're not caring about feedback and people are playing your lovely game. It's a lose lose situation.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
feedback is something you fight about internally not externally

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I actually fancy Gigamaidens chances over this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

anime was right posted:

feedback is something you fight about internally not externally

This is true, but there's a big difference from saying

Bisse posted:

"Thanks for the feedback, i'll put it on my list of things to look at!".

and then not actually ever looking at a thing and quoting people's critiques and then saying "Well my buddy Dave told me he REALLY liked it so you guys are just being dumb!"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I will go to Combo Breaker and tell all my friends not to play your game :twisted:

It's a good thing I don't have friends

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Friends are the worst avenue to ask for feedback from because unless they know anything about what makes a game work they will just pat you on the back and say "yeah good job man."

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

dhamster posted:

I used the default graphics settings, besides lowering the resolution so that I could comfortably play the game in a window. If you want to write me off as a fucker for telling you that you that you should make your characters easy to see, I don't think anyone in this thread can help you.

I'm sorry, dude. I'm unsure if you honestly tried to make this thing work or if you were just looking for the fastest way to make fun of the game. I mean the screenshots were cropped images of unlit areas that were totally different than all of the media I'd shown and it looked like a complete joke especially with the MS Paint dude you drew on top of it.

Anyways, it's pretty obvious the game is not quite ready for this thread. We were just stoked that they selected us to showcase their Indie Cade and thought we'd promote it in the Fight Man thread. I was wrong, my bad, have fun at Combo Breaker.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That game looks absolutely abysmal, and you're really just digging a deeper hole trying to pimp it absolutely everywhere.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

No, but seriously you guys, gently caress Baiken. And her new design and ampler assets.

When's Dizzy?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

No, but seriously you guys, gently caress Baiken. And her new design and ampler assets.

When's Dizzy?

If God is good, never.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

anothergod posted:

I'm sorry, dude. I'm unsure if you honestly tried to make this thing work or if you were just looking for the fastest way to make fun of the game. I mean the screenshots were cropped images of unlit areas that were totally different than all of the media I'd shown and it looked like a complete joke especially with the MS Paint dude you drew on top of it.

Anyways, it's pretty obvious the game is not quite ready for this thread. We were just stoked that they selected us to showcase their Indie Cade and thought we'd promote it in the Fight Man thread. I was wrong, my bad, have fun at Combo Breaker.

The MSpaint dude was a joke, but it was meant to gently break it to you that everything in your game is some shade of grey-purple.

The reason why people knocking on Giant Physics Coin is because it's an obvious "look at thiiiis" effect, which would be forgivable (I still laugh at how much Guilty Gear shows off it's in three D now) if the rest of the game didn't look so bad.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 26, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've no idea what the hell they will fill that many pages of an art book and three audio CDs with, but here it is.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
lol at this fuckin guy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

I've no idea what the hell they will fill that many pages of an art book and three audio CDs with, but here it is.

Purestrain win, most likely.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

anothergod posted:

Well, part of what I was telling you was to fix the lighting.

If that is supposed to be an unlit area, you can't tell by looking at the ground: it is the same monochrome orange as everywhere else. No shadows, no shading. All the lighting seems to do in that stage is to darken your character sprite if you aren't very close to those torches. I think I remember watching a game dev talk by a GG developer where they talk about doing the opposite: tweaking the lighting so the character's face is always visible.

The MSPaint guy was meant to be a crude example of a character colored to contrast with the stage, and without a weapon floating directly on top of its sprite. The latter is an inconsistency I noticed: the weapon will be on your back unless you turn to face forward, at which point it will float in front of you. Oh, and I got rid of the weird victory coin.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

kof13 came with FOUR cds

it had 13's soundtrack and then a bunch of random songs from every kof until then

somehow it didn't have all five iori themes which made it automatically poo poo

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

dhamster posted:

Well, part of what I was telling you was to fix the lighting.

If that is supposed to be an unlit area, you can't tell by looking at the ground: it is the same monochrome orange as everywhere else. No shadows, no shading. All the lighting seems to do in that stage is to darken your character sprite if you aren't very close to those torches. I think I remember watching a game dev talk by a GG developer where they talk about doing the opposite: tweaking the lighting so the character's face is always visible.

The MSPaint guy was meant to be a crude example of a character colored to contrast with the stage, and without a weapon floating directly on top of its sprite. The latter is an inconsistency I noticed: the weapon will be on your back unless you turn to face forward, at which point it will float in front of you. Oh, and I got rid of the weird victory coin.

I think the biggest misunderstanding is that Unity's default graphics settings are hot garbage, turn off 90% of the lights, and generally make this thing look like poo poo. This is more of what we're going for with the graphics settings set to fantastics (though it's not there yet!):

I also think that the game isn't exactly built for fighting game enthusiasts. The single player mode is supposed to be an NES Zelda type thing so I'm trying to make the sprites as simple as possible and have the lighting be stark and uncaring. That's some hipster garbage response, sure, but I read Tevis Thompson and that Spelunky book is my jam so like whatever take it or leave it. I never thought how badly it would hurt readability, which I get is pretty important for literal fightman games.

This image in particular is very fightman unfriendly, but it shows off the direction we want to take the lights. The player will eventually have an opportunity to carry their own lightsource, but we just made that dungeon so the torch/candle item hasn't been implemented yet.

Anyways, I get that you guys are upset and want me out of the thread. I just wanted to show off that while you might not like the graphics, they're not exactly as bad as that image you used. If I come back I'll make sure the minimum bar for Unity's fastest graphics option turns on all the lights so it isn't so gross (among other things).

anothergod fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 26, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The KoF series has been notable for its music for a long time, and I think SNK will be perfectly okay with rereleasing soundtracks until the end of time

As for the artbook, well the game does have a lot of characters

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

inthesto posted:

As for the artbook, well the game does have a lot of characters

The problem is we already know what all the early models look like.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't wait to see concept art for Sylvie Paula Paula

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Dawg if the game that you're marketing as inspired by Street Fighter is not built for fighting game enthusiasts then who is it for

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

sorry to say dude but those screenshots are still super unreadable, even with the lighting
from a quick glance i could not tell you what is going on in any of them or where the characters even are

like, it's repeated infinitely in every single loving design video ever but seriously character readability is huge and not a fighting game specific thing.
knowing what space everything on screen actually occupies and what they can do/what they are doing is pretty vital, especially in a 2d game where you don't have the luxury of spacial awareness in a 3d world
even the games you source as inspirations follow that rule because it's so basic and important

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No DMC gif??

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

In Training posted:

No DMC gif??
i don't actually have any new ones on hand...
caught me with my pants down amigo
i actually thought about using dmc dmc dante as an example of this because his design is dull as poo poo both actual design and colorwise but still works because of the really poppy color palette of the stages.he still immediately sticks out by being the dull as gently caress coloring in there.
and in dull stages where he blends in a lot more his swings and gunshots are highlighted more/glow way more as to show you what he's doing when he actually does moves

edit:
actually i had one
just one

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 26, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the visuals are at least and pleasant and readable as mortal kombat x

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Dawg if the game that you're marketing as inspired by Street Fighter is not built for fighting game enthusiasts then who is it for

he also uses smash bros as a "point of inspiration" and his game contains absolutely nothing of that either.

he's a disingenuous idiot rear end in a top hat

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

This screenshot is actually what inspired my comment, because somehow someone made a forest out of greys and browns. What's the point of the color palette? NES Dirty Harry? Like that screenshot posted shows the original Zelda is famously neon.

If you're insistent on talking with Goons about your game you can try the game dev thread where jokes are basically banned, but I can't imagine them being that much gentler than this one.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I don't think most of the people who are drawn by that buzzword are actually hardcore FGC

In other words good luck at Combo Breaker, you won't be the first indie dev to get completely ignored there

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

now with blast processing and turbo graphics! and it'll suck your dick!*

*game contains none of these things

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

mycot posted:

If you're insistent on talking with Goons about your game you can try the game dev thread where jokes are basically banned, but I can't imagine them being that much gentler than this one.

he already posted in there where his game got mostly passed over like a fart in the wind

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm surprised he hasn't loving name dropped darksouls and overwatch yet

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
readability is not a concern unique to fighting games

fighting games players just tend to be better informed about what makes a game bad because they've had decades of bitter experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

https://a.pomf.cat/lpxajj.webm