Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

I'm sure they were still trying to convince themselves that Hololens would be a thing.

e: CV1 on consoles would be a bad time, though. Even a powered-up XB1 will struggle to render at 90, so for most games you'd be looking at 45 reprojected, which is... bearable? And it's hard to believe that Oculus have the capacity to make a 120hz CV2 in time for next year.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

The original Kotaku article which seems to have been corroborated by Polygon: http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

XBox have been conspicuously absent as far as a response to PSVR is concerned, so it doesn't seem too far-fetched. Just hope this doesn't lead to more consumer-loving.
e: why the gently caress does Kotaku have to have separate region-specific sites

People were really mad that they covered more than just video game news at some point. Their name kinda gives away that they are very Japan-focused though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well at least I finally got an answer from HTC about what's going on after I got impatient and called again. Apparently they have some sort of internal tracking system separate from the FedEx number which is reporting the order as delivered, so all this time they've been waiting on FedEx to confirm that they never picked up the package before they will ship out a replacement.

Customer service told me that FedEx is taking an unusually long time but should be responding by today at the latest, though I'm taking that with the worlds biggest grain of salt.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm not entirely sure I'm happy I got a Vive. The thing has an extremely annoying habit of losing tracking mid session with no clear cause and then it'll either decide to resume working a few minutes later or I'll have to restart my PC. I've even had the basestations decide to stop working a few times. It kills me that I put this much down on the hardware, but I've found myself playing Overwatch instead of going through the trouble of fighting it into submission. I've not even played anything besides The Lab and a couple of 2 minute sessions of Tiltbrush. I'm really hoping I can get some passion for it with developing for the platform, but man am I not enthused with VR so far. I know it's early adopter beware/beta hardware and I really really hope it's just like Steam's early days where it'll become amazing in time.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

greententacle posted:

So has anyone had much experience with mobile VR with like Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear etc? For me at the moment it's just that or nothing, I'm not looking at getting a proper one yet. If it's basically a silly gimmick I'll get sick of after 10 minutes, I don't wanna bother shilling out the $100ish+ for it.

Mobile VR is amazing for watching shows/movies, good games are probably a little harder to come by, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes being a notable exception, great fun to have at get-togethers since you're not tethered to a PC.

I use my gear VR on an almost nightly basis to watch a netflix show or a twitch stream before going to sleep, I'm looking to pick up a vive later this year though as the library of good games seems to be rather lackluster on the samsung store in comparison to what's available on steam...I'm really looking forward to trying out audioshield.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Warbird posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm happy I got a Vive. The thing has an extremely annoying habit of losing tracking mid session with no clear cause and then it'll either decide to resume working a few minutes later or I'll have to restart my PC. I've even had the basestations decide to stop working a few times. It kills me that I put this much down on the hardware, but I've found myself playing Overwatch instead of going through the trouble of fighting it into submission. I've not even played anything besides The Lab and a couple of 2 minute sessions of Tiltbrush. I'm really hoping I can get some passion for it with developing for the platform, but man am I not enthused with VR so far. I know it's early adopter beware/beta hardware and I really really hope it's just like Steam's early days where it'll become amazing in time.

In me experience, losing tracking is a result of reflections. The vive is... very sensitive to reflections. I'd try covering up anything nearby that's reflective (close window curtains/blinds, cover mirrors, etc.) and see if that helps. You're not like... doing it next to a big window or anything, right?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nalin posted:

My Galaxy S6 overheats inside my Gear VR in about 5-10 minutes. When that happens, it stops your game with an overheat warning message. If you ignore it, the phone starts to throttle the GPU and suddenly you are dropping tons of frames inside VR. It isn't fun at all.

The Galaxy S7 contains a heat pipe, and everything I can see online says the overheating problem has been massively improved. Cooler CPU + more RAM + heat pipe results in a much greater VR experience.

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

Have you tried turning down the brightness? My S6 used to overheat (after 30 min, never as quick as 5-10), but turning the brightness down to 3-4 notches stopped that from happening. I can game for an hour plus now, and I've watched 3 hours of Neflix without any issues. Even my brother with a Note4 uses one with no problems. I'd still definitely recommend the Gear for anyone with a compatible phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
http://augmentl.io/on-oculus-valve-and-revisionist-history/

This whole Alan Yates thing has been pretty interesting. He's always been an anti-oculus troll but I guess he completely forgot that Valve had no intention of making a consumer VR headset. If Oculus hadn't come along, we wouldn't be talking about VR right now. It was a concerted effort between a lot of different players.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Yesterday I hosed up and forgot to move my Oculus Camera so that it could see the HMD. I was super confused as to why oculus home was so choppy and why it was ghosting everywhere... after realizing it it's super impressive that it was tracking so well with only an IMU and no correction.

Based on this I wonder how much better/worse the Rift would be in the cases where tracking was lost temporarily.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

In me experience, losing tracking is a result of reflections. The vive is... very sensitive to reflections. I'd try covering up anything nearby that's reflective (close window curtains/blinds, cover mirrors, etc.) and see if that helps. You're not like... doing it next to a big window or anything, right?

Nope, I cover what few windows I have when using the Vive because I don't want to look like an idiot to my neighbors and I have nothing reflective in my living room. It seems like it may be an issue with the HMD itself as opposed to the base stations. One thing to note is that I'm using USB3.1 ports and I'm not sure the two 2.0 ports I have are even hooked up properly. I'm going to try that after work and see if it resolves the issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've noticed that sometimes the headset or controllers will refuse to track until I show them both base stations. Then if it only sees one base station for a while, it will start tracking weird. My right controller does it the most. I'll go to grab something and the controller will just float off into the distance, but the left controller can track there just fine.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Also try the cord to connect the two stations & turn them to the related setting (a & c?)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Enos Cabell posted:

Have you tried turning down the brightness? My S6 used to overheat (after 30 min, never as quick as 5-10), but turning the brightness down to 3-4 notches stopped that from happening. I can game for an hour plus now, and I've watched 3 hours of Neflix without any issues. Even my brother with a Note4 uses one with no problems. I'd still definitely recommend the Gear for anyone with a compatible phone.

I've tried on the lowest brightness and the highest brightness. I would reboot the phone before I would ever use the Gear VR. I uninstalled known power hungry apps like Facebook. My phone just gets hot, and according to the Internet I'm not the only one with the problem. It's just a thing. Congrats on owning a better binned phone or something.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Nalin posted:

I've tried on the lowest brightness and the highest brightness. I would reboot the phone before I would ever use the Gear VR. I uninstalled known power hungry apps like Facebook. My phone just gets hot, and according to the Internet I'm not the only one with the problem. It's just a thing. Congrats on owning a better binned phone or something.

As a side note - the facebook app on Android is more than just power hungry. I highly recommend using the website if you use facebook on your phone.

Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist
Rift havers, what's the usual time it takes to receive a shipping e-mail after receiving your processing e-mail?

Got my processing e-mail 10 days ago, money was taken from Paypal the same day but radio silence since. Support told me everything is fine but my order page still says "Pre-Order" so i'm getting kinda antsy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Marverick posted:

Rift havers, what's the usual time it takes to receive a shipping e-mail after receiving your processing e-mail?

Got my processing e-mail 10 days ago, money was taken from Paypal the same day but radio silence since. Support told me everything is fine but my order page still says "Pre-Order" so i'm getting kinda antsy.

I think mine was only a couple days. You might want to check with customer service just to be sure something didn't get screwed up.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I've been happy with my Gear purchase with an S6 and have never had overheating issues, including 3 hour movies on planes and multiple hours in Minecraft. I'm not using it everyday or anything but for how cool it is it was worth the price. Not to mention the ease of use and the ease of showing friends/family.

Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think mine was only a couple days. You might want to check with customer service just to be sure something didn't get screwed up.

I already opened a ticket and they told me everything is fine and to be patient. I should probably try again hoping to fall on someone a little more helpful.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Got my rift. Love the comfort, clarity of the screen and so on, even the god rays don't bug me much.
Only thing is, I get these faint blackish bars on both side of the view, like I can slightly see the edge of each lens, or a double border somehow. No matter how much i fiddle with the headset or change the ipd it remains the same.
I don't notice it that much in War thunder and Assetto corsa, and in other games i can sort of tune it out. Right up until I see them, then it's hard to take focus away.
Has anyone else noticed it?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Flashbackjack posted:

Got my rift. Love the comfort, clarity of the screen and so on, even the god rays don't bug me much.
Only thing is, I get these faint blackish bars on both side of the view, like I can slightly see the edge of each lens, or a double border somehow. No matter how much i fiddle with the headset or change the ipd it remains the same.
I don't notice it that much in War thunder and Assetto corsa, and in other games i can sort of tune it out. Right up until I see them, then it's hard to take focus away.

The FOV doesn't completely overlap, so those are the areas where one eye can see that the other can't, I believe. If you put the IPD slider all the way together it goes away a bit I think, buuuut I don't recommend doing that if it doesn't actually line up with your eyes :v: I have a narrow rat face so it doesn't bother me too much.

I lied, you have cancer. Sorry.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Flashbackjack posted:

The only time I've ever noticed anything like that is in a few videos where something is too close to the camera on the side and it kind of doubles up when it's in my peripheral vision. Eyes are weird when you're trying to do this level of trickery to them, I suppose.

I grabbed Technolust last night and that is pretty awesome. I don't know how long it is, and the little adventure gamey puzzles are pretty simple. It's the sort of thing that would be crap as a normal adventure game but there's such a cool sense of place to it that its worth it on that alone.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

...I have a narrow rat face so it doesn't bother me too much.

So you are suggesting that i shave a few inches of the side of my head?

quote:

I lied, you have cancer. Sorry.

Not funny my balls have been hurting.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Flashbackjack posted:

I think it's some kind of weird artifact of how your brain blends the two images together. I notice when I look straight forward, I get a sort of boxed in kind of FOV. But if I close one eye and look to the outside, it seems fine.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wow, turnaround time on the Vive is really good. Mine should arrive by Thursday based on the shipping e-mail I just got.

So they're doing like two-week turnaround from purchase to arrival assuming it actually shows up at that time. Not too shabby at all.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If these Xbox Rift rumors are true, it kinda makes me sad because a Kinect 2.0 (or two at opposite corners of the room) would have been an awesome, awesome roomscale solution, but those things are like political poison to consumers at this point because of the way MS went about pushing the bundles at launch then backing off.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Is there a list of Rift game release dates anywhere? I've only got Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie. They're fun and I'm definitely going to spend more time on them, but I'm curious what's on the horizon and having a tough time finding anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That would be pretty cool if they could get decent hand tracking. I think my ideal tracking would be something that could just track your hands in room scale, like a camera in the lighthouse base station that could get an overall idea of where your hands are and whether they are open or closed. And then a leap motion type deal on the headset that allows detailed gesture tracking for when you can actually see your hands. So I could grab an object and move my hand off screen but still be able to hold or throw that object with the less detailed tracking. But then I could also look at it and do detailed some detailed interaction. Maybe have a bracelet or something that securely attaches to your hand for accurate positional and just use the camera for seeing if your hands are open or closed.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Has anyone been working on a PSMove driver for OpenVR? I was just thinking about it and it would be great for anyone with a DK2, CV1 or whatever since the hardware is already available. The controls don't map perfectly to the Vive remote but it's pretty close.

hipstersloth908 on reddit is working on a new one, should post something by end of the month. There's an old one by Minotaurus0 that I haven't tried yet either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Randomosity posted:

Is there a list of Rift game release dates anywhere? I've only got Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie. They're fun and I'm definitely going to spend more time on them, but I'm curious what's on the horizon and having a tough time finding anything.

Go to Steam, go to the store page, select the VR option, and then uncheck "HTC VIVE"

There's a list of current and upcoming Rift games for ya :) gently caress Oculus Home.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Warbird posted:

I'm extremely happy with the Vive and I can't say I've had issues, but if you lose tracking it's probably not reflections, reflections are way worse as the headset can get confused.

You could try disabling bluetooth, I know some had their base stations shut down mid game because of it, also maybe switch to a USB 2, for some reason some motherboards have issues with the Vive and USB 3. Also make sure you upgraded all the drivers there have been a lot of updates.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2016

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Warbird posted:

Nope, I cover what few windows I have when using the Vive because I don't want to look like an idiot to my neighbors and I have nothing reflective in my living room. It seems like it may be an issue with the HMD itself as opposed to the base stations. One thing to note is that I'm using USB3.1 ports and I'm not sure the two 2.0 ports I have are even hooked up properly. I'm going to try that after work and see if it resolves the issue.

I had some tracking issues that were fixed after I installed the recommended PCI usb card and used that to plug the vive in.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, turnaround time on the Vive is really good. Mine should arrive by Thursday based on the shipping e-mail I just got.

So they're doing like two-week turnaround from purchase to arrival assuming it actually shows up at that time. Not too shabby at all.

posts like this make steam come out of my ears. there appear to be significant issues with Canada. can't even place a new order from this country at the moment.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hey Oculus released their source code for their unreal forward renderer: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-unreal-renderer/

This is actually a really cool thing because it could potentially help improve performance in many VR applications and on any VR headset!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I saw that earlier. I haven't bothered to check if there's a difference between the oculus version of Showdown and the showdown available on the unreal marketplace.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Fredrik1 posted:

You could try disabling bluetooth, I know some had their base stations shut down mid game because of it, also maybe switch to a USB 2, for some reason some motherboards have issues with the Vive and USB 3. Also make sure you upgraded all the drivers there have been a lot of updates.

I set up the phone connection the other day, so I'll try getting rid of bluetooth. The real rub is that I got a new motherboard/processor for VR and I'm not sure I even have any non USB3.1/C ports. I think there are a couple built into the case, but I don't remember if they're hooked up or not. Something to fool with when I get home. Hardware is up to date with drivers, but I'll go double check the motherboard stuff to see if there's anything I missed.

Kid posted:

I had some tracking issues that were fixed after I installed the recommended PCI usb card and used that to plug the vive in.

Can you elaborate on this? What PCI usb card?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GlyphGryph posted:

You ordered yours on the 21st, right? I also had mine showing "In Stock" on the morning of the 21st when I ordered and haven't heard anything from HTC or Fedex yet. I'm going to be a bit annoyed if I'm one of the unlucky ones who's being shipped out of order for unknown reasons.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Been playing with my Rift since it arrived and pretty much every game makes me very mildly nauseous, even games like Defense Grid 2. As long as the camera is stationary it's a very mild sense, and I can actually power through it without repercussions, but eventually I get tired of the feeling and quit playing before I actually want to. Games which do move the camera without me provoke a much greater sense of nausea and will wreck the rest of my day if I don't discontinue the usage immediately.

This is in direct contrast to the Vive, which as long as the camera didn't move without me, never once made me feel even a tiny bit of discomfort from motion sickness.

The Vive headset isn't nearly as comfortable as the Rift in terms of fit and weight, but I will take that over mild motion sickness anyday.

My only theories are that I am usually standing with Vive whereas the Rift is usually sitting and/or the FOV which is a bit greater on the Vive. Framerate is 90fps everytime I check, but I have to peek out of the headset on the monitor to do so. Oculus doesn't have a low framerate warning that I can find.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Hey Oculus released their source code for their unreal forward renderer: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-unreal-renderer/

This is actually a really cool thing because it could potentially help improve performance in many VR applications and on any VR headset!

I mean, "use forward rendering with simple lighting" is hardly something that you would need source code for. It's a reasonable suggestion, but those tradeoffs between forward and deferred lighting/shading are well known.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

You ain't lying. I preordered an Oculus a day or two before they went full release and I'd still be waiting for it until Early August/Late July. Cancelled it and order a Rift on the 1st of May and got it last Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hierophant posted:

I mean, "use forward rendering with simple lighting" is hardly something that you would need source code for. It's a reasonable suggestion, but those tradeoffs between forward and deferred lighting/shading are well known.

The selling point is the clustered lighting, aka "Forward Plus", which offsets most of the downsides of forward rendering versus deferred at the cost of requiring compute shader support. Neither Unity or Unreal support that in their standard renderers yet, though I'm sure it's the next big feature they're working on.

Ironically Oculus' "VR renderer" doesn't actually seem to have any VR-specific features; clustered lighting is a good fit for most games, not just VR ones.