Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cobra, leading the PGA Tour in hat tag length...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
What is the little fold up device that people like Mark Crossfield use that tracks their swing speed and face angle and everything. I know Trackman is the big orange square but I don't know what to search to figure out what this one is

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

What is the little fold up device that people like Mark Crossfield use that tracks their swing speed and face angle and everything. I know Trackman is the big orange square but I don't know what to search to figure out what this one is
The launch monitor is the Foresight GC2, which Golfsmith tends to use in their stores. For the face measurements, it has an attachment called HMT, which is what Mark uses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I watched a bit of the final yesterday and was surprised by how poorly some of them were putting. Like I know it's high pressure and the greens were probably faster than they're used to but some of the putts were horrendous.
Yeah, there were definitely some nervy putts, especially by NEXT FEMALE TIGER WOODS MARIAH STACKHOUSE of Stanford, but they also made some super clutch putts to tighten up the matches coming down the stretch.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
AFter having played golf for a couple of months with the gentle guidance of my bro-in-law, I took a golf lesson.

And I have one comment about it:

HOLY loving poo poo.
It feels like a night and day. The little things that the pro corrected in my swing made huge differences and my consistency shot up the roof. I paid 33 bucks for one hour and I got to play 9 holes aftewards for free. I shot like three buckets of range balls, so the value of it was amazing too. If anyone is having doubts in their mind about taking a lesson, there is no way to describe how effective or amazing it feels to have someone work the kinks out with you and having the balls fly higher and farther out almost instantly. I'm still in the process of basically messaging everyone and telling how great it was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

AFter having played golf for a couple of months with the gentle guidance of my bro-in-law, I took a golf lesson.

And I have one comment about it:

HOLY loving poo poo.
It feels like a night and day. The little things that the pro corrected in my swing made huge differences and my consistency shot up the roof. I paid 33 bucks for one hour and I got to play 9 holes aftewards for free. I shot like three buckets of range balls, so the value of it was amazing too. If anyone is having doubts in their mind about taking a lesson, there is no way to describe how effective or amazing it feels to have someone work the kinks out with you and having the balls fly higher and farther out almost instantly. I'm still in the process of basically messaging everyone and telling how great it was.
I love how, with literally anything else, from playing a musical instrument to ballet to swimming, people understand that you needs teachers/coaches to get better.

But no, I can totally become a good golfer on my own. The ball isn't even moving!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I love how, with literally anything else, from playing a musical instrument to ballet to swimming, people understand that you needs teachers/coaches to get better.

But no, I can totally become a good golfer on my own. The ball isn't even moving!

I have a buddy who plays in the 80s all the time. I've been with him when he's shot 81, 82, 83, etc. but he refuses to take lessons. It drives me crazy. His goal is to break 80 but the way he plays he's going to need 3-5 lucky breaks a round to do it.

I'm a crappy golfer, never broken 90, but the last lesson I took added like 20 yards to my drive. That's probably worth it. It was a grip and shoulder turn change so I'm struggling with the change so far, I shot 66-44 last round I played. Best 110 I've ever shot haha, but when the grip and swing change is working I'm at worst a bogey golfer.

I keep telling him to take lessons but he just refuses and it drives me nuts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Not that I'm even close, but once you are in the low 80's it's going to take a lot more effort to go from 85 to 80 than it did to get from 90 to 85. Sometimes it's just not worth all that effort.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
For what it's worth I met somebody that got to scratch from copying YouTube videos.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
From what I'm gathering in my limited search the GC2 is something that's so far out of my price range that I can't even fathom having the money laying around to buy it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Daric posted:

From what I'm gathering in my limited search the GC2 is something that's so far out of my price range that I can't even fathom having the money laying around to buy it
What, you mean you don't have $6,000 sitting around?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah it's a pretty expensive peice of kit. Mainly used as teaching aid or if you have enough money for it. It's pretty drat cool though, the videos of people in their house with it are pretty bad rear end until it comes to putting.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Is the SkyPro a good alternative? Been eyeing one but afraid it's a silly gimmick.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Summit posted:

Is the SkyPro a good alternative? Been eyeing one but afraid it's a silly gimmick.

Good alternative to a GC2? Not even close, but if you're looking for numbers on your swing that may or may not be accurate to +/- 5% then it's probably the way to go for the cheapness.

Josh Lyman posted:

Bubba did it, why can't I? I've self taught gamed my way from 120's to low 80's in less than 15 years. 5 if you count my hiatus from the sport!

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
drat it! Me and golfing during the week never works out, something stupid always comes up! Everyone at my work is on vacation today, so I had to stick around to unload a truck because I am the only other person that can drive a forklift, even though I am the IT guy..truck was supposed to be here at 11 am, so I booked a 2PM tee time. Not even 3 minutes ago get an email saying the truck broke down and won't be here until 3 now...so not only do I not get to golf today, but I can't even leave early like I was told I could... fml i hate work.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So this happened today, first hole, first drive.

Brand new ball, never used before. Drive still went 250+ but sounded and felt very weird.

I've gone through a whole box of these and this is the first time it's happened. They are the NXT Tour S balls.

And the round, not my best and not my worst.

Round number 3 is tomorrow morning, I'm pretty loving beat!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
All you guys with your fancy new drivers ain't got poo poo on me now.

Got both for $25 shipped from Goodwill. 2006 me would have had a stroke if I were able to get my hands on these puppies.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Got both for $25 shipped from Goodwill. 2006 me would have had a stroke if I were able to get my hands on these puppies.

A friend had the one on the right and the first time I hit it the noise it made made my ears ring. That thing is loud as gently caress.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

A friend had the one on the right and the first time I hit it the noise it made made my ears ring. That thing is loud as gently caress.

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/brand/2724/product_type/203/model/47227/b/Nike/p/Driver/m/SQ%20Sumo2%205900

quote:

PROS

Accurate
Large Sweet Spot

CONS

Loud On Impact

:q:

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

mattfl posted:

I saw and heard a guy on the range with one once. Thing sounded more like a bat than a club. I also though to myself, "that club must be illegal as all hell."

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Kameh posted:

PROS

Accurate
Large Sweet Spot

CONS

Loud On Impact

but enough about your mom

sorry that was easy

like your mom

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Played with my boss this afternoon, practicing for our Member-Member in a couple weeks. I was hitting my wedges miles somehow, and I don't think the 90 degree heat and humidity can account for all of it. My 50 degree usually carries about 125 and I hit it 140-145 a few times and was absolutely mystified. The rest of my clubs were behaving much better though so we ended up with a better score than we had in our rounds last year despite my boss having a rough time. Considering I'm more or less recovered from my surgery and have like 40 rounds played this year to his 3 or 4 that's to be expected though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
After yet another lovely round today, I'm mystified as to how people improve from shooting 104 to 74. I'm starting to think I just don't have the right mental attitude for golf.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

daslog posted:

After yet another lovely round today, I'm mystified as to how people improve from shooting 104 to 74. I'm starting to think I just don't have the right mental attitude for golf.

My friend used to shoot 120s for years and years because we only got out a handful of times in a summer. Last 2 years he has been putting in 50+ rounds a summer and is now shooting high 80s. Nothing but repetition and practice.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Didn't you just buy an F6+?

Edit: If you've been playing golf in the last 5 years you immediately know if someone is playing a Sumo driver. That thing is obnoxious.

I shot 95 today, 52-43. Not sure why I suck all of the dicks on the front and then play so much better on the back recently. That 52 on the front was with a birdie and the 43 on the back was with a triple on a par 3(aquatic).

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 28, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

https://youtu.be/O5YpUsDsHmk

This is how to shoot low.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

MG Golf (mggolf.com) bought the remaining stock of Callaway's SR3 balls and has them for $19.95 a dozen, brand new. Just in case any of you guys play that ball and want to stock up on it. I assume the Chrome Soft is doing so well that they decided to just keep pushing it and abandon their other models.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Can someone explain the concept of tee time prices and pacing? Throughout the spring, I've been playing at Norcal/bay area courses at different times, and I've come to the conclusion that the twilight rate concept makes no sense. Sample size is low, but playing in the morning several courses have been almost empty and that same course becomes crowded and jammed with people after noon when the twilight rate comes out. Two of the guys I play with have a "well I'm not paying non-twilight rates, gently caress that" attitude. I really feel like if they just made the same rate all day more people would play in the 9-11am time and a 2pm tee time wouldn't have groups queued up to play each hole.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cheese posted:

Can someone explain the concept of tee time prices and pacing? Throughout the spring, I've been playing at Norcal/bay area courses at different times, and I've come to the conclusion that the twilight rate concept makes no sense. Sample size is low, but playing in the morning several courses have been almost empty and that same course becomes crowded and jammed with people after noon when the twilight rate comes out. Two of the guys I play with have a "well I'm not paying non-twilight rates, gently caress that" attitude. I really feel like if they just made the same rate all day more people would play in the 9-11am time and a 2pm tee time wouldn't have groups queued up to play each hole.

They charge more to play in the morning for exactly that reason, it isnt crowded and you play through quick without hassle. Youre paying to not get stuck behind people like me. :v:

e: 103 today. So many 3 putt greens and I triple bogeyed all 4 par 3s. I think I need to get a new putter. And some lessons.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

cheese posted:

Twilight starts at 2 there? It's 4 right now for me.

Most golfers don't have an "I paid $X, I'm going to get my money's worth" attitude as far as I can tell so I'm not sure what your buddies are getting at. Like the previous poster said, I'd rather pay more but play at a good pace. I will intentionally book a tee time that's 10-30 minutes before twilight rates start for that reason. You almost never hear someone complain because their round only took 3 hours instead of 4.5-5.

That being said I'm playing tomorrow at 2 and that round is going to take forever. It's also going to be 90 without much wind.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ya that was late winter/early spring rates. Its 4pm now. Fair enough on those points I guess.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So finally got out for a round. Shot a 91 on par 72 which I'm not unhappy about given its first time I have played a round in years and about 17 years since serious play.

Showed up to play at the course I had booked to be told comp was still on and the pro was not sure why I had been booked in for a social round. No apology and he acted like I should be the one apologising for even entering his pro shop.

Called up a smaller club which wasn't in great condition as they are currently expanding from a 9 hole to a full 18 and was able to show up and play no problem.

Had 3 birdie opportunities but lack of putting touch let me down. Also managed to get through the first 13 without losing a ball but that came to a rough end losing 2 on the next 2 holes.

Feels great to play again now to play a few other of the local courses see what I like, join and get my handicap back.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 29, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saw a golfer hit a hole-in-one on Friday morning while I was filling divots in the adjacent tee box. It's pretty cool to see that happen.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/skratchTV/status/734516314954293248

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://m.imgur.com/a/IqfoJ

WITB for the season. Except for the 3 wood, 58*, and putter, all clubs are less than a year old.

Edit: less than a year spent in my bag, that is. Because newer gear is always the answer for lower scores.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I hit a 270 3-Wood today and it felt really good. God bless California public course fairways.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Jordan Spieth :getin:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Jordan Spieth :getin:

Crazy to birdie the last 3 like that, happy for the kid :)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Remember how I've never broken 90?

I finished bogey quad bogey to finish and shoot 92 today. I'm ready to murder someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That just tells me pretty soon your next goal will be 80. Where do you waste the majority of shots? Do you keep stats?