Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The record in that branch was something like 90 seconds for 20 wings by the way. The one guy in our group who really went for it got something like 4 minutes. For just completing it and getting the shirt it seems pretty achievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ah well. It might have been fun when I would be in town but im not gonna take an hours worth of train to eat some spicy rear end wings.
And I already have Dark Souls 3 so ehhhhh

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, poo poo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Anyone know of a good Mexican/burrito place that doesn't use coriander? I can't stand the stuff and it seems like everywhere I try uses handfuls of it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Anyone know of a good Mexican/burrito place that doesn't use coriander? I can't stand the stuff and it seems like everywhere I try uses handfuls of it.

It's kind of a standard thing in Mexican cuisine dude.

But because you ask: Tortilla. You can get the Mexican rice (tomato, no coriander) and the meat itself isn't cooked with loads of coriander. You can also get a salsa that doesn't have it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

You're much better off going to one of the Meat* group places for a burger. Seriously.

Yeah but I was looking for recommendations IN Camden.

FWIW ended up going to Made in Brasil and was really pleasantly surprised by how good it was!

Although I'm glad I'm back up north now, as the price of beer in London is even more brutal than I remembered.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Although I'm glad I'm back up north now, as the price of beer in London is even more brutal than I remembered.

I feel this - I live in London but I was in Manchester on a work trip a couple months ago, and got a pint each for me and my co-worker - when they told me the price, I thought it was for just 1 (under £5 for both).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's a bit ridiculous to be honest. I experienced this between London and Wigan.
Here in Germany an expensive beer (0.5l as is usual in Bavaria) in Munich is about 4 €, the average is 3.20 I think. I don't think I have seen beer under 2.50 € anywhere in Germany, so the price varies nowhere near as much over here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I definitely did a huge double take walking by pubs in the financial district (where I went by mistake). Something like 7.20 for a Pimm's.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Funnily the food prices arent much different Liverpool to London. Though the portion sizes up here tend towards the Hyoooj

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 6, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I feel this - I live in London but I was in Manchester on a work trip a couple months ago, and got a pint each for me and my co-worker - when they told me the price, I thought it was for just 1 (under £5 for both).

That, but three pints when I'd just moved up here. Was genuinely confused, thought I'd done a Life on Mars.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm heading beyond the Wall to the North. Any recommendations in the tiny forest town of Nottynghamm?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Artificial Idiocy posted:

I recently moved from Zone 2 to Zone 4. Went to an Irish dive pub down the street from me and ordered 4 pints, but I found I only had a tenner so I hurriedly tried to mooch another note off my wife. Managed to get change back from that £10 :psyduck:.

Then there's The Regency club round the corner, which is both a classic English pub, sports bar, and Indian restaurant all at the same time, and pints are just under £5 mark again. Good food tho, would recommend if you ever find yourself in at the end of the Jubilee line like suburban pleb.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Can anyone recommend Brasserie Zédel of Soho? If failing that, somewhere which does good vegetarian food in the area. Looking to take a friend coming over to London, and I love a late-night dinner. Recommendations for a nearby trendy wine/craft beer place also welcome.

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 23, 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Rockybar posted:

Can anyone recommend Brasserie Zédel of Soho? If failing that, somewhere which does good vegetarian food in the area. Looking to take a friend coming over to London, and I love a late-night dinner. Recommendations for a nearby trendy wine/craft beer place also welcome.

Looks good on the inside, classic french bistro cookery

not amazing but solid and good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rockybar posted:

Are you committed to Wine/Beer? Because the Bar Americaine cocktail lounge in there is really good, if a touch dear.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
£60 for 2 G&Ts and 2 Old Fashioned's inc service. Dear is right. Nice bar though.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
When in Soho, go to Milroy's. Always go to Milroy's. But don't tell everyone because it's already bloody busy.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

£60 for 2 G&Ts and 2 Old Fashioned's inc service. Dear is right. Nice bar though.

:britain:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Horse Clocks posted:

I recently moved from Zone 2 to Zone 4. Went to an Irish dive pub down the street from me and ordered 4 pints, but I found I only had a tenner so I hurriedly tried to mooch another note off my wife. Managed to get change back from that £10 :psyduck:.

Then there's The Regency club round the corner, which is both a classic English pub, sports bar, and Indian restaurant all at the same time, and pints are just under £5 mark again. Good food tho, would recommend if you ever find yourself in at the end of the Jubilee line like suburban pleb.

You'd be better served going to Everest on Honeypot :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

sweek0 posted:

When in Soho, go to Milroy's. Always go to Milroy's. But don't tell everyone because it's already bloody busy.

If that doesn't pan out you could go to the Arts Theater Club a road over on Frith Street, have been able to get in right after work on a Friday without issue, it only get busy ten-ish on Fridays and I don't think it's an issue most of the week.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
By sheer luck and knowing the right people, my stay in London in June has changed and I will be spending my 3 nights in a very fancy 5 star hotel in Mayfair.
However, I don't want/can't to afford paying for dinner in that hotel and know next to nothing about that area in terms of eating. Are there any reasonable chippies and other takeaway/sit-in joints in the area to grab dinner?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

By sheer luck and knowing the right people, my stay in London in June has changed and I will be spending my 3 nights in a very fancy 5 star hotel in Mayfair.
However, I don't want/can't to afford paying for dinner in that hotel and know next to nothing about that area in terms of eating. Are there any reasonable chippies and other takeaway/sit-in joints in the area to grab dinner?

Mayfair is highend London at its highest endest. BUT luckily London is very very walkable and you can be in cheaper bits in less than 5 minutes.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Hopper posted:

You wouldn't want to be eating in the average hotel restaurant anyway, not even in Mayfair. But you're not far away from Soho which is full of cheaper and mid-priced restaurants that are good.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

angor posted:

You'd be better served going to Everest on Honeypot :)
Yeah, the next local I plan to hit up... That or skipjacks, haven't had fish n' chips in ages.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm heading beyond the Wall to the North. Any recommendations in the tiny forest town of Nottynghamm?

Oh man I missed this. Lived in Nottingham for a year and the food was great. Hope you found somewhere nice

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Mayfair is highend London at its highest endest. BUT luckily London is very very walkable and you can be in cheaper bits in less than 5 minutes.

I suspected as much. Luckily I a) won't be paying for the hotel and b) won't be in that area a lot as I am attending a conference at the Olympia and on my way back can drop by Queensway/Bayswater subway where I know several places to eat at.

sweek0 posted:

You wouldn't want to be eating in the average hotel restaurant anyway, not even in Mayfair. But you're not far away from Soho which is full of cheaper and mid-priced restaurants that are good.

I have only been in Soho once really, I associate it with theaters mostly. I may actually have to explore that area a bit more. Thanks for the tip.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oh man I missed this. Lived in Nottingham for a year and the food was great. Hope you found somewhere nice

Oh absolutely. Nottingham's become quite upscale, almost hipstery, bordering on the Shoreditch.

I went to Taco Bell twice.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Horse Clocks posted:

Yeah, the next local I plan to hit up... That or skipjacks, haven't had fish n' chips in ages.

Imma let you in on a secret. Kenton Lane Cafe. It's a greasy spoon run by Indians. Get their masala chips. SO good. I think that's the ONLY thing I miss about living in that part of London. Great hangover spot.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

angor posted:

Imma let you in on a secret. Kenton Lane Cafe. It's a greasy spoon run by Indians. Get their masala chips. SO good. I think that's the ONLY thing I miss about living in that part of London. Great hangover spot.

As someone who lives in Kenton/Harrow, you're not wrong. We've got, uhhhh.. Dunkin Donuts?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh absolutely. Nottingham's become quite upscale, almost hipstery, bordering on the Shoreditch.

I lived on broad street so i was at the epicenter, it loving owned.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who lives in Kenton/Harrow, you're not wrong. We've got, uhhhh.. Dunkin Donuts?

Only Parathas is pretty good too, but I have no idea if it's still open. I get fantastic super cheap Indian food where I live now, so I don't miss it as much as the greasy spoon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Royal China used to be great dim sum, but that's apparently gone downhill.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Best work lunch chain, go!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I'm in Manchester right now and had my first Taco Bell today. You know what? Not bad, and would be glad to have them in place of the more widespread chains. Also churos.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

What, like Pret, Eat and that? Which is closest?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Gregs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm in Manchester right now and had my first Taco Bell today. You know what? Not bad, and would be glad to have them in place of the more widespread chains. Also churos.

Right? I love Taco Bell and have it all the time whenever I'm in the US, so to finally have some more here would be aces. I know there was one in Leicester Square in the late 80s/90s but it shut down due to low sales. Now with our broadened palettes, it would be a perfect time for them to hit up the UK all big again.

pointsofdata posted:

I like Wasabi's hot food, although it can be super heavy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Right? I love Taco Bell and have it all the time whenever I'm in the US, so to finally have some more here would be aces. I know there was one in Leicester Square in the late 80s/90s but it shut down due to low sales. Now with our broadened palettes, it would be a perfect time for them to hit up the UK all big again.

I like Wasabi's hot food, although it can be super heavy.

Agreed, I think they're my favourite but a bit pricey at £6 (still good value though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some of their new stuff looks like they're straying a bit from what they're good at, but I haven't tried it. Like there's not way I'm going to buy chicken teriyaki from a bacon sandwich chain