Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

I like this line of thought. It implies that I, too am a hero.
You didn't die. Fix this one thing and then we're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Cartoon posted:

Never has hot pink text been so useful to me.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

Never has hot pink text been so useful to me.
I only wanted you to be a hero :australia:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Cartoon posted:

You mean we are all just heros in waiting?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

elwood posted:

You mean we are all just heros in waiting?

Everest thread gangtag pls, 'Heroes In Waiting'

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The good news is there's now less litter on the mountain.

quote:

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - A rescue helicopter brought the body of Australian climber Maria Strydom from Mount Everest to the Nepali capital of Kathmandu on Friday, a week after she died on the world's tallest mountain.

At least now they can give her a proper vegan funeral.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mega64 posted:

The good news is there's now less litter on the mountain.

At least now they can give her a proper vegan funeral.

Vegan would have been leaving her on the mountain, where worms couldn't eat her.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that paying a cheap team, dying and thus essentially paying for a superfluous flight home, getting your body flown out by helicopter, having it shipped home and finally buried is way more expensive then just paying a proper team in the first place and not dying on a mountain?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Hopper posted:

What are the odds that paying a cheap team, dying and thus essentially paying for a superfluous flight home, getting your body flown out by helicopter, having it shipped home and finally buried is way more expensive then just paying a proper team in the first place and not dying on a mountain?

Husband guy probably won't get a bill for the chopper ride or however you ship human remains.

Remember, only dude corpses have to stay on Everest. If you're young, attractive and female someone will get you down.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Plus he was apparently running a fundraiser to collect a corpse from a mountain so he still comes out ahead in the long run.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Hopper posted:

I wonder how many people factor in the cost of dying when planning their self-aggrandizing everest ego-trips..

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

According to Aussie press the family are needing to fundraise $35,000 (aussie dollars) to bring her home, so yeah, add that cost onto the price of her original trip and you're probably looking at the same price as the top expedition outfits charge.
Which is quite ironic really.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
I thought helicopters were prevented from flying to Everest due to the thin air.

Am I wrong?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

I thought helicopters were prevented from flying to Everest due to the thin air.

Am I wrong?

They can't really fly all the way to the summit, no, but they can operate at base camp just fine* and have occasionally made trips higher up the mountain but the further up they go the riskier it is.

*It's not easy, but it's not suicidal either.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 27, 2016

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Am I wrong?

Yeah, one even "landed" (touched a skid on) the summit a few years ago. It's definitely dangerous but specialized helicopters are capable of flying fairly safely at those heights, given good weather.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Yeah, one even "landed" (touched a skid on) the summit a few years ago. It's definitely dangerous but specialized helicopters are capable of flying fairly safely at those heights, given good weather.

Well hell, how much for a ride then? I can take a poo poo on the summit, laugh at the lineup and leave in half an hour.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Ama Dablam Camp II

:captainpop:

This is fake or Photoshopped or something, right? :wtf:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't even want to think about how much feces is in that camp. I doubt anyone is sticking their rear end out over the edge

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Sand Monster posted:

This is fake or Photoshopped or something, right? :wtf:
Real & awesome, it turns out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Paineopticon posted:

I don't even want to think about how much feces is in that camp. I doubt anyone is sticking their rear end out over the edge
You probably poo poo in a chamber pot and chuck it over the side.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Anyone got some context as to why they climbed up that spike just to camp? If it's a look how baddass this is thing I understand, because that's baddass.

The Local Legend
Jun 5, 2013

I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party.

zedprime posted:

You probably poo poo in a chamber pot and chuck it over the side.

Is a chamber pot really something someone would carry up a mountain?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
They probably just pick up the half frozen poo and throw it and wipe their hands on the snow/rocks.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Outrail posted:

Anyone got some context as to why they climbed up that spike just to camp? If it's a look how baddass this is thing I understand, because that's baddass.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the surrounding area isn't stable enough to establish a camp but the giant phallus shaped rock is very stable so they camp there?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Local Legend posted:

Is a chamber pot really something someone would carry up a mountain?
Well making GBS threads in your hand isn't really an option because most accounts say if anything is coming out of your butt on a climb its going to be watery. I sincerely doubt anyone is dropping trou outside a tent so you poop into something or you paint the walls.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ranbo das posted:

The only thing I can think of is maybe the surrounding area isn't stable enough to establish a camp but the giant phallus shaped rock is very stable so they camp there?

Thats what I was thinking. Doing that at sea level would be hard but fun/interesting, at altitude? gently caress that.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

zedprime posted:

Well making GBS threads in your hand isn't really an option because most accounts say if anything is coming out of your butt on a climb its going to be watery. I sincerely doubt anyone is dropping trou outside a tent so you poop into something or you paint the walls.

You poop in special plastic bags. They have chemicals in the bag that help control the odor and decompose the poop super quickly. https://www.rei.com/product/662978/cleanwaste-wag-bag-waste-bags-package-of-12

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Here's an alternative Camp II if you don't like the dick rock, for the real climber elite.

:whatup:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah just dig into that 70 degree slope of snow and put your tent there. What could go wrong?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
This panorama from Camp 3 is pretty sweet though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Paineopticon posted:

Ama Dablam Summit Day Summary

quote:

Valdis and Sergey followed closely and heroically behind (with significantly higher style points) and we recomposed ourselves in Camp Two. Camp Two is better known as ‘Camp Poo’ due to the extensive garbage and human waste left behind from other expeditions. It’s both sad and strange to see firsthand how one of the most iconic camps in the Himalaya is one of the dirtiest (serious understatement) I’ve ever seen… Needless to say, we were under strict instructions ‘not to touch anything’ and kept bottles of hand-sanitizer close to hand..! Having survived the Yellow Tower I was not eager to test my luck or the strength of my gastro-intestinal system here!!
Poo. Poo never changes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
loving lol at 'The Yellow Tower' which I assume is a tower of frozen piss

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Body of Indian Climber Found on Everest, 4th Death in a Week

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

That loving article. "Oh this Indian guy died but let's talk more about vegan altitude sickness lady"

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

This panorama from Camp 3 is pretty sweet though.

This is awesome, thanks for posting it.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am going to start training right now to climb Everest as far as it takes to get to some good poop deposits. I am going to gather some juicy samples from those poop deposits and bring them back. I will market the poop to people doing at-home fecal transplants!

I'll be a millionaire! Everest poop is the poop of the rich and powerful. Who wouldn't want some?

No one steal my idea!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

When does climbing season generally end? I believe I may have underestimated the mountains thirst for souls this year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cuckoo posted:

That loving article. "Oh this Indian guy died but let's talk more about vegan altitude sickness lady"

Yeah, but Indian guys kill themselves on Everest all the time. How often do we get to enjoy a vegan killing herself through her own hummus hubris?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The French Army! posted:

When does climbing season generally end? I believe I may have underestimated the mountains thirst for souls this year.

May is the official window, so this year's season is basically over. Snowstorms from summer monsoons will start any day now and make it nearly impossible to summit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

May is the official window, so this year's season is basically over. Snowstorms from summer monsoons will start any day now and make it nearly impossible to summit.

There's a fall window in September after the summer monsoon and before the winter, but usually only a few people attempt it then, these are the busy days right now.