Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

feedmegin posted:

The Soviet soldiers being all like 'howdy, pardner' were especially hilarious.

Technically, they were only pretending to be Soviet soldiers. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I think the random npc dialogue is actually pretty well written, so I can forgive some poor acting

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Square Enix sent out a survey regarding Elusive Targets, might be worth filling out if you feel strongly about them:

https://xmail.square-enix.com/fe/vi...2NwYiJ9fQ%3D%3D

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

nickmeister posted:

What bothers me even more than the American accents is the fact that a lot of the voice actors can't ACT. It sounds pretty amateurish at times.

This is pretty common in Hitman games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nickmeister posted:

What bothers me even more than the American accents is the fact that a lot of the voice actors can't ACT. It sounds pretty amateurish at times.

Yeah it's woeful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThomasPaine posted:

I think the random npc dialogue is actually pretty well written, so I can forgive some poor acting

I think its kinda intentionally schlocky too. Hitman games have always had a very silly tone, mixed with the kinda grim assassination business.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
One thing the company has been unusually good at in the past is accurate (or at least attempts at accurate) foreign language lines. People speaking Chinese in the China levels have an actual script spoken in remotely plausible Chinese, etc.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Square Enix sent out a survey regarding Elusive Targets, might be worth filling out if you feel strongly about them:

https://xmail.square-enix.com/fe/vi...2NwYiJ9fQ%3D%3D

I replied to mine, I hammered home that I wish we had more time/access to the targets for all the good it will do. Who knows maybe we can do something here

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I wanted to do a run through Paris to get some of the challenges, and by sheer coincidence, I ended the mission at 47 minutes and 47 seconds, speeding away in Larin's boat.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
How do you zoom with the sniper rifle? I hold left trigger and it zooms somewhat, but I can't get to it's second setting, which I've seen people use in YouTube videos. Is there like some sort of sniper upgrade? I think I've pressed every button on the controller while holding left trigger and nothing happens.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Saladman posted:

How do you zoom with the sniper rifle? I hold left trigger and it zooms somewhat, but I can't get to it's second setting, which I've seen people use in YouTube videos. Is there like some sort of sniper upgrade? I think I've pressed every button on the controller while holding left trigger and nothing happens.
There's only one zoom level. There are two snipers, one has a better zoom but isn't silenced.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Saladman posted:

There are two sniper rifles. The one from Italy has a long zoom, but no silencer. The one from Paris has a silencer, but a short zoom.

Edit- poo poo, beaten.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

feedmegin posted:

The Soviet soldiers being all like 'howdy, pardner' were especially hilarious.

My favourite was the italian priest yelling, in a thick american accent, that he was going to kick my rear end if he caught me around here again. The voice acting is pretty bad but the lines themselves are often pretty funny, so it works.

The best line is the one yelled by suspicious security guys: "Someone's doing stuff they shouldn't!"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

wyoak posted:

There's only one zoom level. There are two snipers, one has a better zoom but isn't silenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLRL3Fekac&t=66s

That video (link starts at correct time, 1:06) has the guy zooming twice with the same rifle. Is it a PC hack or something?

VVV: Ahh, thanks. I thought there were two snipers, each of which had a different zoom level, not that one has two. Now I get it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 19, 2016

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
That's the second sniper rifle. You unlock one in Paris and one in Italy. Paris is silenced, but only has one zoom level. Italy has two zoom levels, but isn't silenced. Paris has a bigger clip, but you can only carry three extra. Italy has a smaller clip, but you can carry four.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

UrbicaMortis posted:

The best line is the one yelled by suspicious security guys: "Someone's doing stuff they shouldn't!"

"Hey man, you need to start acting your age. How old are you? 46? 48?"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still love how most people are just impressed by your ledge climbing skills instead of freaking out like in the past games.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
"Sorry can't let you in, Willie Nelson"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
New elusive target! :toot:

https://hitman.com/en-us/news/elusive-target-may-27

quote:

At some point on Friday 27th May during European hours, we’ll update the Elusive Target tile on the Featured Hub in-game and the contract will be live. Make sure you’re ready, because The Congressman will only be in Sapienza for 48 hours and there won’t be any second chances.

I'm looking forward to assassinating Francis Underwood.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's also a new Escalation in Sapienza. Only the last part was challenging. Oh well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Escalations, which do you think they are the best ones?

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

My favorite is the 3-part battle axe. It ramps up quickly and there is a significant difference in difficulty in all 3 levels.

Plus you get to bury a battle axe in peoples foreheads and then kick them off of your axe.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://hitman.com/en-us/news/episode-three-release-date

quote:

HITMAN - Episode Three: Marrakesh will be available on May 31st for PS4, Xbox One and PC.
We'll have full release notes on the blog before that date, including release timings.

The City of Contrasts

Following up on the big fashion show event in Paris and the expansive nature of Sapienza, we knew that Marrakesh had to be something extraordinary. So the team set out to build a location that was both teeming with life and things to do. Marrakesh has been built with a maze of alleys, a range of souks that line the medina walls and a fully-fledged shisha café. Moving upwards, players can enjoy the shade on the rooftop terraces of Marrakesh.Just beyond the busy marketplace, you'll find an architectural marvel in the shape of the Swedish Consulate building. The very embodiment of minimalistic Scandinavian design;, a mix of glass, concrete and wood offering a powerful contrast to the blazing heat just outside its walls.

A Gilded Cage

As with any HITMAN level, Marrakesh promises players the lure of voyeurism and the thrill of infiltration and it’s something we’ve been working hard on getting just right. Offering two targets, the new story mission in Marrakesh challenges players to eliminate private banker Claus Strandberg, who is holed up inside the secure Swedish Consulate, and army General Reza Zaydan, protected by his elite squad of soldiers at a temporary headquarters in the heart of the city. Both targets will be challenging to reach and both will of course have some entertaining special moments attached to them that will allow players to dole out some poetic justice.

Tons of new live content

With Marrakesh also comes a lot more live content for players and the busy markets and locked down consulate will provide us with great settings for our live features. Episode Three has been designed to keep players busy with a wide range of challenges and opportunities. Along with an entirely new setting for Contracts Mode, Marrakesh will also be the location for upcoming Elusive Targets and Escalation Contracts. We're excited to see what you come up with!

Swedish consulate! I was asking for an embassy! Is somebody on the dev team reading this thread? :cheeky: Sounds good!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love that they seem to actually be sticking to the promised release schedule. Its really fun to have a new level to play around in each month.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
New Hitman and Witcher 3 stuff next week?

I'm ready. :getin:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw a picture of 47 screwing a silencer onto his gun and it made me want to be able to do that. It would be pretty cool to be able to sneak up on a target and then ominously attach the silencer before taking them out. Completely irrelevant to gameplay but still a very hitmany thing to do, so I should be able to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I saw a picture of 47 screwing a silencer onto his gun and it made me want to be able to do that. It would be pretty cool to be able to sneak up on a target and then ominously attach the silencer before taking them out. Completely irrelevant to gameplay but still a very hitmany thing to do, so I should be able to.

This is kind of why I miss the ability to ready your fiber wire before you use it. Functionally it's exactly the same as it works now, but it just feels cooler to approach with the wire pulled taut.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Accordion Man posted:

New Hitman and Witcher 3 stuff next week?

I'm ready. :getin:

Oh yeah...guess who has the busiest week of the year at work at the start of June and therefore no free time? drat.

I do have the 1st itself off though so sure I reckon I can beat Marrakech and blood + wine in one crazy day?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah...guess who has the busiest week of the year at work at the start of June and therefore no free time? drat.

I do have the 1st itself off though so sure I reckon I can beat Marrakech and blood + wine in one crazy day?

Spend the 1st getting familiar with Marrakesh and then hopefully your job will have calmed down some by the time an elusive target shows up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The congressman hit is now available! Elusive target, good luck gents.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was not very stylish with the last elusive target, I basically just walked up to him and stabbed him in the gut with a letter opener. I'm hoping to improve with this new target.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
Silently assassined him. The hows of it are in the spoiler space.

He's got a fairly set routine to begin with, and he didn't do any eating or drinking. To shock him out of his rut, I decided to bludgeon the houseboy who kept giving him things to do - only to discover that the Congressman had no brain of his own! He stood in the middle of the room, helpless, immobile, eyes dead as a fish, speaking only when I passed close to him, and then in some entirely different accent. "Hey man, don't be a slave to wealth!" this previously wealth-loving politician hooted in the voice of a twat. Clearly the houseboy was in charge, via telepathic control! Only death could free the poor sap, so I lured his guards away with coins and dropped guns, and once they were out of the way I released that mindless shell of a man from his indescribable torment.

I don't know if there's a way to get him off his track aside from that - I heard some talk of a plague rat running loose, so there might be some super cool way to finish him off using that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't manage anything spectacular, just sniped him from the clock tower while he was in front of the house. Did have a close call trying to get out, I didn't move fast enough on the way down and almost ran into the guards running up to investigate. Managed to duck into that weird unused office and get out of an alternate exit.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Minor spoiler: he does sip some wine in the basement. Didn't use it to poison him though so I don't know where he runs to purge.

Did mine by peeling off his guards and basic coin tossing. Silent Assassin rating but it was about the dullest way to do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darkhold posted:

Minor spoiler: he does sip some wine in the basement. Didn't use it to poison him though so I don't know where he runs to purge.

Did mine by peeling off his guards and basic coin tossing. Silent Assassin rating but it was about the dullest way to do that.

Well if you've unlocked it you can start with lethal poison, so that would be a quick and easy way to get Silent Assassin I guess.. That does seem kinda boring for a one-time only kill though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Got him with four stars. I went rather sloppy because I got caught on camera and I though the glitch was still active, but nope.

Missed SA because I just chucked in a knife in his face down in the wine cellar

One complaint is that they put places where you could kill him surrounded by staff so it feels like it forces you to be really cheesy or sloppy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Veotax posted:

I didn't manage anything spectacular, just sniped him from the clock tower while he was in front of the house. Did have a close call trying to get out, I didn't move fast enough on the way down and almost ran into the guards running up to investigate. Managed to duck into that weird unused office and get out of an alternate exit.

I did basically the same, except I sniped from the attorney's office on the second floor. Made escaping quicker. One bad thing about these being one shot challenges is that I decide to pick the path of least resistance/least chance of failure. Can't be creative with my kills when I only get one chance.

I had a really hard time actually finding the target - I guess he was in the wine cellar when I searched the house, then when I restarted with another disguise and searched the chellar he decided to hang around in the library. Was a bit disappointed that he started in the house - as before, the majority of Sapienza is totally underused.

Also, I found a way to confirm your elusive targets actually were counted - they don't show up under the "main" list of challenges etc, but under the "career" tab you can see them on the individual level statistics.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Darkhold posted:

He runs into the restroom by the garage. However, when he's in there vomiting, he's got his two guards in the room with him. What I did was chuck a can of spaghetti outside to get one to come out, choke him, choke the other guard in the bathroom, then kill the target.

I moved all the duders into the bathroom, but didn't close the door manually, even though my wife told me to. A mansion staff walked by and spotted the bodies. I choked him out too, and that didn't count toward bodies found. I was sloppy and was spotted numerous times setting things up, so I only wound up with four stars.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ah poo poo. One of the mansion staff guys turned around at the worst possible moment and I got screwed out of a Silent Assassin rating that way. So far I've succeeded in killing both elusive targets, but managed to get unlucky enough that someone found the body before I could stash it and get out of there both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It seems like the right thing to do with all of the elusive targets is to shadow them through their entire routine several times, then restart and actually take action.