Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
There have been rumours of a new Xbox coming out that can run the Rift, and today Arstechnica is confirming that at least one major developer is currently planning to release a new virtual reality game on the Xbox One in 2017 and plans to show that game at E3.

posted:

The game is also being planned for release on the PC and PS4
Ars isn't at liberty to discuss the name of the game or the specific developer, but we can say that a well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise

Assassin's Creed? Please be Assassin's Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
VR isn't remotely ready to tackle Assassin's Creed. Its like the exact hardest possible game to translate to VR, unless you just ditch the entire game and start from scratch.

You have all the locomotion problems of an FPS like Half-Life but with the added :barf: of freerunning and falling and climbing and stuff.

I guess you could just play it all in third person but then that's barely even VR, just sitting there with a controller just watching it in 3D.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

VR isn't remotely ready to tackle Assassin's Creed. Its like the exact hardest possible game to translate to VR, unless you just ditch the entire game and start from scratch.

You have all the locomotion problems of an FPS like Half-Life but with the added :barf: of freerunning and falling and climbing and stuff.

I guess you could just play it all in third person but then that's barely even VR, just sitting there with a controller just watching it in 3D.

Ah yeah, I should clarify, I just think it would be cool to wander around the AC worlds that have been built and like, have a voice over talk about the historical buildings and things like that. More of a historical tour game, if anything. Yeah, a legit AC would definitely get a lot of people real sick haha. Although I disagree with you on 3rd person VR games. Chronos, Luckeys Tale, the Mythos of the World Axis demo and Blazerush are all 3rd person games that are really cool in VR.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 27, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Poetic Justice posted:

Ah yeah, I should clarify, I just think it would be cool to wander around the AC worlds that have been built and like, have a voice over talk about the historical buildings and things like that. More of a historical tour game, if anything. Yeah, a legit AC would definitely get a lot of people real sick haha.

Ah yeah I'd love poo poo like that. I heard that some class on history was actually using AC Brotherhood for lectures because its one of the more realistic and complete renderings of Rome available.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah yeah I'd love poo poo like that. I heard that some class on history was actually using AC Brotherhood for lectures because its one of the more realistic and complete renderings of Rome available.

That's really cool, and since they already have those assets done, it seems like a no brainer to me!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Could it just be a port of that Ubisoft Flying one where you're a Bird? That would be easy enough to port over to the Xbox if the videos were any example of the graphics detail it delivered (hell they could even push that to Mobile almost. Microsoft's DX12/Vulkan ported to Windows Mobile? lol)

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Could it just be a port of that Ubisoft Flying one where you're a Bird? That would be easy enough to port over to the Xbox if the videos were any example of the graphics detail it delivered (hell they could even push that to Mobile almost. Microsoft's DX12/Vulkan ported to Windows Mobile? lol)

Oh man, I didn't even think about it maybe being that game. Stop crushing my hopes and dreams :argh:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Vive delivery date moved up in the fedex tracker, should arrive Tuesday!

Wow, and thats with a holiday weekend

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.6

Revive version 0.6 is out. It brings back support to all the games that Revive used to support before the Oculus Runtime 1.4 update. It looks like if you had installed previous versions, remove them completely as the old RevivePlatform DLLs will cause problems.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BossTweed posted:

Which game have you been playing? I tried this fanmade thing Future Pinball and it was pretty cool once I got it set up how I wanted. I sorta want to build a pinball controller for it.

Pinball FX2 VR -- might be Oculus store only right now. From the Zen pinball guys, has three tables, an undersea one, the knight one, and the Mars one. I like the Mars one a lot, it has creepy mechanical spiders walking on the machine while you play it, etc. I hope they put out more tables for it as addons or something.

I'd love to see the Pinball Arcade guys start doing VR conversions.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Was on a Farsight stream yesterday and they said VR is still in the works for PBA :toot:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So today running my Vive has lead to my computer completely locking up, several times over. Now Windows updated and I can't get both of the Vive controllers to sync. One is green, the other is blue, when I try to pair it SteamVR says "One of the controllers has to be turned off, there can't be more than two controllers connected at a time." Uhh... not sure what to do here but this happened in the middle of demoing the Vive to a friend for the first time and we had to stop since we couldn't play anything with one controller. I've tried everything at this point.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I finally beat Chronos. It is probably the most complete game experience on the Rift that I know of. The environments are all amazing, fighting the enemies are fun, and all the boss fights are incredible. I haven't played any of the Dark Souls games, but after Chronos I feel that I must try them.

ENDING SPOILER
But it really feels like I lost the game in the end.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I'm upgrading from an i5-2500k and a GTX 770 today to an i5-6600K and...a GTX 770. Thanks, lack of supply of 1080s.

I wonder how my rift will perform until I can get the 1080 in-hand.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Deviant posted:

Well, I'm upgrading from an i5-2500k and a GTX 770 today to an i5-6600K and...a GTX 770. Thanks, lack of supply of 1080s.

Probably about the same as after. I think your performance will really improve once you put it in your computer though.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
Great write up over at Ars (spoiler - Vive Wins)
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/why-vive-has-won-the-early-vr-race-in-my-house/1/

Owning both myself I pretty much agree with everything he says. Both headsets made different choices with the lenses, making them better at different things. My initial reaction was holy crap the Rift is much better but that's been tempered a bit by more time. For cockpit games like Elite the Rift is so, so much better but the extra FOV on the Vive is great in games designed with it in mind.

Of course none of that matters when the overwhelming power of touching things just blows every other concern out the door.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I just got my shipping notice from HTC, almost exactly one week after ordering. Estimated delivery is Wednesday. I can't wait. Glad I work from home, now I just need to make sure I am keeping an eye out for the delivery ninjas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
yeah the biggest advantage vive has over the rift right now is that the vive is available for sale.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Wow, that's an excellent article. No fanboyism, just raw facts and objective-as-possible observations, aside from some speculation about the PSVR. Thanks for linking it!

Edit: poo poo, wrong article. I somehow got from the ars post to this one on TomsHardware, which is what I was talking about. Oops.

I just cancelled my Rift pre-order, which stung a bit, but I really don't want to commit to a headset until the motion-controller dust has settled. Maybe Oculus will release some info around E3?

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 29, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm trying to setup my joystick controls for Warthunder and I noticed that they have default configs for a bunch of different joysticks, so I thought it would be smooth.

It uses hat switches on the throttle for yaw/pitch/roll and the joystick for throttle. The gently caress?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wish my Vive would just work or not work and not flip flop between the two.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 29, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Bought today's meh offer (Sony RF headphones for $60) since I was tired of untangling headphone cables with the vive.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Deviant posted:

Hold steady, friend.

I'm sorry you believed that there would be a massive amount of 1080's on launch day, it was pretty obvious that it was a paper launch. Give it a couple weeks, you'll be in VR Valhala as shipments ramp up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lemming posted:

I'm trying to setup my joystick controls for Warthunder and I noticed that they have default configs for a bunch of different joysticks, so I thought it would be smooth.

It uses hat switches on the throttle for yaw/pitch/roll and the joystick for throttle. The gently caress?

Never use presets, just use the setup wizard.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Never use presets, just use the setup wizard.

I ended up doing that, but it boggles my mind that they would even bother with presets if they're going to be that severely hosed up.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ThaGrandCow posted:

Hold steady, friend.

I'm sorry you believed that there would be a massive amount of 1080's on launch day, it was pretty obvious that it was a paper launch. Give it a couple weeks, you'll be in VR Valhala as shipments ramp up.

Well, I had an FE preordered, but I decided to hold out for a reference card. Whatev.

That Asus Strix has me sold with its 2nd HDMI port.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Tested a Rift CV1 at Best Buy yesterday, and yeah, I have to agree with the conclusion it seems almost everyone else is coming to. The Rift is a slightly better headset alone, but for anything that's not a cockpit game the ability to move around and naturally interact with the world is such a huge thing that it's the first thing you notice as missing if you've tried a Vive before a Rift.

I'm sure if I hadn't used either one the Rift would have seemed much more impressive as they fixed all the things that bugged me on the DK1, but having spent hours with the Vive actually grabbing things with my hands the gamepad just can't compete.

The Climb was not a great choice as a demo either. The controls felt one step off of I Am Bread, which is not a good thing IMO.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Do we have any idea when the market for the new nvidia cards will open up with lots of 3rd party options from EVGA etc? I haven't kept up with developments, I'm hoping to resell a CV1 for a couple hundred quid in the next few weeks and put that money towards a new card for when my own rift arrives in August.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It will probably be a couple months. We're currently in the scalper phase. Was production kicks into high gear, then the cards will be available normally.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
Having no previous experience with any VR solution, I went to Best Buy and demo'd the Rift. The colors seemed really washed out on it. Did BB just have a setting goofed up or is this normal for a Rift? I tried searching and saw some folks having washed out colors with a DK version that was supposed to be fixed by a software update, but nothing to give me a feel for if this is normal on the retail Rift.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThaGrandCow posted:

Hold steady, friend.

Yeah, and make sure you don't get the "Founder's Edition" which is $100 more for worse performance and bad thermals.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

OrganicAnkleSocks posted:

Having no previous experience with any VR solution, I went to Best Buy and demo'd the Rift. The colors seemed really washed out on it. Did BB just have a setting goofed up or is this normal for a Rift? I tried searching and saw some folks having washed out colors with a DK version that was supposed to be fixed by a software update, but nothing to give me a feel for if this is normal on the retail Rift.

Was positional tracking working properly? (Not just rotational)

The colors desaturate whenever the sensor loses sight of the headset to let you know, so best buy may have goofed the setup, because I wouldn't call the rift's screen washed out normally.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005

Wanderer89 posted:

Was positional tracking working properly? (Not just rotational)

The colors desaturate whenever the sensor loses sight of the headset to let you know, so best buy may have goofed the setup, because I wouldn't call the rift's screen washed out normally.

I'm honestly not sure. The demo was short, and since it was my first time and there were people standing around me, I didn't really move anything but my head and hands. I didn't want to plow into some guy with his kid watching me demo it :) But good to know it isn't normally washed out. The headset I tried looked like when someone cranks the gamma up too high. I did like the effect and see a lot of potential in the application.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yeah, if it looked washed out something was wrong. It looked fine when I used it.

Also going back to one of my earlier questions:

wolrah posted:

Can anyone with a Vive and an Optimus laptop tell me if it's even possible to get an image on the headset that way? I know performance will be a major problem in such a configuration but I'm just thinking about it from the perspective of watching movies while traveling, which should be within the capabilities of even an Intel GPU.
I went to my Vive-having friend's house again today and brought my laptop. It's a few year old Asus with an i7 3630QM and a GeForce 650M running Optimus for the main screen, supposedly with the HDMI port wired directly to the GPU.

It didn't see the headset on the HDMI port initially, but fully restarting SteamVR made it work as expected. The instructional segment was pretty choppy, I'd say 30-50 FPS, and seemed like the game engine's tick rate was reduced because the sphere's movement was slow and it took forever for it to acknowledge that I had pressed the buttons it wanted me to.

Once I got to the point where it would let me exit that I installed Catlateral Damage and found it was still a bit choppy but entirely playable. I forgot to install Big Screen so I have no idea how it handles playing movies, but it just might be usable. Here's hoping, I can never find a good place for my bedroom TV but if I can make it only exist in the virtual world I can put it wherever in relation to my bed.

Definitely not for the weak stomached when gaming on that sort of a setup. I seem to have pretty solid VR legs but when the framerate really dipped during the instructions I felt a bit weird.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
I've seen conflicting reports on this--is there a way to get War Thunder working in the Vive right now? If so, is there a current guide for it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Extortionist posted:

I've seen conflicting reports on this--is there a way to get War Thunder working in the Vive right now? If so, is there a current guide for it?

Download war thunder, enter launcher, turn on oculus rift mode, leave launcher, insert ReVive into War Thunder folder, drag Aces.exe onto ReVive injector x64. Done.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seems the Vive issues were due in part to bad Bluetooth drivers and some weird ASUS proprietary bloatware drivers causing lord knows what issues with the rest of the system. Hopefully everything's kosher now.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof
So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
"if you ignore touch" s kinda like saying you might enjoy driving with a steering wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Warbird posted:

Seems the Vive issues were due in part to bad Bluetooth drivers and some weird ASUS proprietary bloatware drivers causing lord knows what issues with the rest of the system. Hopefully everything's kosher now.

Could you detail what you did to fix it? I've basically given up on power saving the lighthouses because they randomly sleep on me causing tracking to drop while using it and also have an ASUS motherboard, so it could be the same issue...