Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So we've got an episode dealing with vaccines and national healthcare being run by a secret cabal and totally evil, and another one shortly before about how crazy radio kooks totally aren't crazy. Will we be seeing an episode about the PoI people infiltrating a forum known as the Open Republic to safeguard their leader Tim Bobinson?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oasx posted:

I was under the impression that Taraji P. Henson left the show at her own request, and wasn't fired like the comments indicate. I wasn't a huge fan of her character, but given how bad Empire had become this season, i wonder if she is regretting leaving.

Taraji left because of how hectic 22/23 ep seasons can get on the type of show PoI is, and it was interfering with her wanting to do stage work and movie acting. Empire gave her a lot more leniency and a bigger role so I doubt she feels too bad about it. She was also aware going in that they were definitely planning on killing off someone before the show ends, but weren't sure who yet. She's clearly still in good standing with the PoI crew as evidenced by her coming back for an episode in basically the worst time of the year for NYC shooting.

The story Taraji and the showrunners tell, which is backed up by stuff you see in the show, is that Taraji said she wanted to leave around mid s2. Around that time in the show you see them setting up a potential write-off where Carter is asked to join the FBI, this would have relegated her to recurring at her leisure but she thought Carter just being in and out of town while all this stuff was going on would be against her character so the showrunners set up the HR takedown and asked her to stick around an extra season or so so they could have her go out in a blaze of glory instead. As soon as this decision gets made the show instantly drops the FBI thread and ties the reason she gets dropped into the HR stuff and the rest is history.

Also Carter owned you are a silly person.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

evilmiera posted:

So we've got an episode dealing with vaccines and national healthcare being run by a secret cabal and totally evil, and another one shortly before about how crazy radio kooks totally aren't crazy. Will we be seeing an episode about the PoI people infiltrating a forum known as the Open Republic to safeguard their leader Tim Bobinson?

Or in my case just reminding me of the new X-Files season. Only instead of Scully cloning super DNA from her blood or whatever the gently caress happened it's a super AI doing some kind of DNA analysis and finding a suitable antiviral stocked nearby. Which is... more plausible, I guess? If we care? :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm looking forward to seeing what Samaritan does with chemtrails.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

I think that Samaritan is going for a full on Gattica style society maybe?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Complete series boxset is available for pre-order on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FNG2KDA/

Pretty drat good price considering that's 5 seasons and a regular BR season is like 50 bucks.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zaggitz posted:

Taraji left because of how hectic 22/23 ep seasons can get on the type of show PoI is, and it was interfering with her wanting to do stage work and movie acting. Empire gave her a lot more leniency and a bigger role so I doubt she feels too bad about it. She was also aware going in that they were definitely planning on killing off someone before the show ends, but weren't sure who yet. She's clearly still in good standing with the PoI crew as evidenced by her coming back for an episode in basically the worst time of the year for NYC shooting.

The story Taraji and the showrunners tell, which is backed up by stuff you see in the show, is that Taraji said she wanted to leave around mid s2. Around that time in the show you see them setting up a potential write-off where Carter is asked to join the FBI, this would have relegated her to recurring at her leisure but she thought Carter just being in and out of town while all this stuff was going on would be against her character so the showrunners set up the HR takedown and asked her to stick around an extra season or so so they could have her go out in a blaze of glory instead. As soon as this decision gets made the show instantly drops the FBI thread and ties the reason she gets dropped into the HR stuff and the rest is history.

Also Carter owned you are a silly person.

This is really fascinating, to be honest. Also as far as I'm aware, incredibly rare for an actor to be that flexible when desiring to leave a show and the writers to be that flexible when writing her out, especially considering that Carter's departure was probably the best run of episodes ever and her death given the full weight and importance it deserved.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Boy were people loving furious over that kiss though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

raditts posted:

It's been almost 50 years since William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols what is wrong with people :negative:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

pik_d posted:

It's been almost 50 years since William Shatner and Nichelle Nichols what is wrong with people :negative:

I really don't think people were pissed over the same reason.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

pik_d posted:

It was more a "It's not the ONE TRUE PAIRING" thing than a "she is black/he is white" thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

raditts posted:

... Who else is Reese supposed to be kissing? The psychologist lady wasn't even around until after IIRC.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean I don't really interpret that kiss as romantic at all. At least in my opinion.

It's probably even more devastating if you do considering everything Reese has been through since then.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I think people thought it was a forced thing that was done solely so there was some romantic tension between two characters who hadn't really shown that kind of interest in each other. Instead it was actually a spur of the moment improvisation by the actors which I thought worked if you viewed it as 2 people reaching out for a connection with someone right before they went on what seemed like a suicide mission.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What interest they had was their immense respect they had for each other. While it wasn't romantic in the least, it served the same function as If-Then-Else as a goodbye and a promise or more of a wish for a safe return. Of all the people he could hallucinate while freezing to death he sees Carter because that is the person he was closest to on any level and one he doesn't have to abandon.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
I just realized Calvin Beecher was the same guy that played the lawyer in People vs OJ Simpson

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WarLocke posted:

... Who else is Reese supposed to be kissing?

Finch.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaggitz posted:

Complete series boxset is available for pre-order on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FNG2KDA/

Pretty drat good price considering that's 5 seasons and a regular BR season is like 50 bucks.

Not really if you consider the Blurays of the individual seasons are $15 or so on Amazon. Except Season 5 is currently listed at $45.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

for real though, he had many times named Finch as his savior who pulled him out of the deadly despair spiral he was in. Then as they built up the Carter send-off suddenly he's saying she saved his life. She was hunting him down for the like half the first season! The Carter send-off was just over the top all around, she also suddenly was t-boning cars like Reese and shooting bazookas and poo poo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Carter saved his life emotionally. Finch pulled him out of the gutter and while he was most grateful for that, Reese still had a deathwish. He wasn't going to live for the numbers, he was going to die for them.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

WarLocke posted:

... Who else is Reese supposed to be kissing?
The way shippers work, WHO ELSE WAS REESE SUPPOSED NOT TO BE KISSING INSTEAD?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It will be interesting to see what Michael Emerson does after this, it will be hard to top Lost and Person of Interest.

Perhaps that agent show with Terry O'Quinn will finally happen.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe he shows up as an AI in Westworld and creates a human being.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was really hoping Emerson would get cast on the new Twin Peaks. Ever since Lost, I could always see him fitting into David Lynch's weird worldview. I was sad to see he wasn't on the list of announced actors.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Final week with two eps, people. We are on Tuesdays only starting next week.

:siren:THIS WEEK'S EPISODES:siren:: Sotto Voce/The Day the World Went Away

Monday Synopsis:The mysterious criminal mastermind known as “The Voice” returns and traps Reese and Fusco in their own precinct with several armed gang members and the latest POI. Also, Root makes a shocking discovery.(I can't believe they are actually paying off Two Phones, what the gently caress)

Tuesday Synopsis:Finch’s number comes up when a fatal error blows his cover identity and sets off a deadly series of escalating encounters with Samaritan’s operatives.

Monday Preview

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel!

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

On an unrelated note, Samaritan's creepy speaker voice in the radio episode was like a thousand times better than anything involving that kid.
Hell yes. That kid is terrible, and the disembodied voice was giving me chills.

I burned through the last five episodes this weekend and went to bed last night thinking that the best way to end PoI and piss literally everyone off is to have the entire series run be nothing but a scenario run-through by the Machine contemplating what it would do if it ever ran into another AI.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zoom out from an image of the slaughtered team to show Finch saying "so that's what would happen if I invented the fing-longer..."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AND THAT'S WHY (Greer's arm falls off) YOU DON'T SPY ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, the kid's not really supposed to be good, he's just repeating lines. But yeah it doesn't make it any less annoying to watch him.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, the kid's not really supposed to be good, he's just repeating lines. But yeah it doesn't make it any less annoying to watch him.

Right, but the way to have done it correctly is just to have the kid parrot what Samaritan is saying. Unfortunately, someone told the kid to channel his inner Damien and speak like he's the evil mastermind.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

berzerkmonkey posted:

Right, but the way to have done it correctly is just to have the kid parrot what Samaritan is saying. Unfortunately, someone told the kid to channel his inner Damien and speak like he's the evil mastermind.

That's why the only time the kid worked, imo, is when he was in a sim because then it actually was just Samaritan talking. Agree about him being bad last season though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It would have been so much creepier if the kid was just doing some awful coloring with crayons and distracted repeating what Samaritan was telling him. THAT'S how you control the future, by getting your tendrils into kids brains before they can even realize what is happening is not normal/good. Instead of making it come off as if the kid's soul was scooped out and Samaritan was put in.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Walk northeast ten miles... you might live"

:smugcowgirl:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

For once Samaritan ISN'T the obvious perp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, this rear end in a top hat again

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah you tell 'im Fusco!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Finch and Elias teamup, yesssss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Elias said Harold was his friend! :swoon:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
"it's a trap"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz