Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Popular Mechanics posted:

Why You Should Go In May

It comes down to snow, temperature, and wind. "Mount Everest protrudes into the stratosphere, and most of the year the summit is buffeted by winds of over 100 miles per hour that will kill a climber in minutes or even hurtle them into the void," All told Popular Mechanics. "It is only during the onset or cession of the Asian Monsoon that these winds die down and allow climbers short seven- to 10-day windows to climb the mountain."

The highest recorded wind speed at the summit was a 175 mph in February 2004. For reference, a Category 5 hurricane has sustained wind speeds of at least 157 mph. Throughout the winter, hurricane-force winds pummel the summit for three days out of four.

The two windows in which those wild winds die down happen in May and September. But snow falls during the September calm, so fresh snow drifts offset the break from the wind. That's why so many people try the ascent in May, All says.

The monsoon season also provides survivable temperatures. The Everest summit temperature ranges from an average of minus 4 F to minus 31 F, but the temperature is generally warmer as the winds blow more gently from the end of May until the third week of October, according to weather reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The fall window is generally actual mountaineering folks because it's even more dangerous due to months of fresh snowfall.

The May window is when you get the hilariously unprepared folks feeding themselves to the mountain.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The fall window is generally actual mountaineering folks because it's even more dangerous due to months of fresh snowfall.

The May window is when you get the hilariously unprepared folks feeding themselves to the mountain.
Are there any months with no successful summits?
~First person to summit Everest on Dec. 31st #blessed~:black101:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

AceRimmer posted:

I don't know, but probably Dec/Jan and maybe July?

Looking at statistics, the majority of summits are in May. There have also been numerous in April, September, and October. Some Poles did it in Feb.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Cool article about winter ascents and :poland:

quote:

Strong wind blows all the time. It is unimaginably cold. -Radio message from the summit of Everest, February 17, 1980

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 28, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

http://reductress.com/post/bold-beauty-moves-in-case-they-find-your-corpse-on-this-mountain/

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

The sweating thing is actually good advice :v:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

HungryMedusa posted:

I am going to start training right now to climb Everest as far as it takes to get to some good poop deposits. I am going to gather some juicy samples from those poop deposits and bring them back. I will market the poop to people doing at-home fecal transplants!

I'll be a millionaire! Everest poop is the poop of the rich and powerful. Who wouldn't want some?

No one steal my idea!

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

Then you start getting minute firsts; first youngest American Surgeon to Summit on Dec 31st.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

first baby born on the summit to a lesbian couple

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

first zika baby born above 8000m

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

This guy gets it. Donate to my gofundme for Everest poop collection today!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gohuskies posted:

You poop in special plastic bags. They have chemicals in the bag that help control the odor and decompose the poop super quickly. https://www.rei.com/product/662978/cleanwaste-wag-bag-waste-bags-package-of-12

gently caress, I'm buying these so I don't have to get up so often during long gaming/anime sessions. Goodbye poopsock, you're service will be remembered!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

simplefish posted:

Everest thread gangtag pls, 'Heroes In Waiting'

Dude, I would be all over this if it was a thing because it's just a matter of time before I actually manage to die on a mountain considering some of my close calls.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HungryMedusa posted:

I am going to start training right now to climb Everest as far as it takes to get to some good poop deposits. I am going to gather some juicy samples from those poop deposits and bring them back. I will market the poop to people doing at-home fecal transplants!

I'll be a millionaire! Everest poop is the poop of the rich and powerful. Who wouldn't want some?

No one steal my idea!

not only am I going to steal your idea for selling locally sourced bespoke artisinal farm to table poop, I'm gonna stay at home and just use the stuff here and market it as such to save on overhead

lol at you for going to Everest

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Alan Smithee posted:

not only am I going to steal your idea for selling locally sourced bespoke artisinal farm to table poop, I'm gonna stay at home and just use the stuff here and market it as such to save on overhead

lol at you for going to Everest

Just got to a local Himalayan restaurant (or chinese place if you don't have one). Then you can say it's Himalayan Poop. Triple the price, bud.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can someone post that photo of everest? where its shadow goes over the horizon and what the term for that is called tia

unless it was photoshopped anyway

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

can someone post that photo of everest? where its shadow goes over the horizon and what the term for that is called tia

unless it was photoshopped anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah thats it. it owns

edit: did you just change the picture from the k2 one? post them both

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Not photoshopped, I've seen that myself plus the sky rays that come to that point known as anticrepuscular rays. Not the term you're looking for probs but I posted anyway :11tea:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jose posted:

edit: did you just change the picture from the k2 one? post them both

K2 >>> Everest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress the mountain scene man its all about this molehill you've never heard of

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

</thread>

Edit:

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 28, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Hello, thread.

What's the count so far this year? I didn't enter the sweepstakes this year because I inadvertently caused an earthquake last year by suggesting an absurdly high number. (I claim moral victory for last year's sweepstakes. Whatever the prize was, I definitely don't want it.) I have learnt my lesson and will use my powers only for good. :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They should abolish all laws near Everest and let camera crews document climbers clubbing each other with gear while being hunted by death squads in an attempt to summit and die atop the mountain god

I would watch it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

They should abolish all laws near Everest and let camera crews document climbers clubbing each other with gear while being hunted by death squads in an attempt to summit and die atop the mountain god

I would watch it

I want to see this Everest movie that's hunger games except actually good and not for dumb broody millennial kids

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
The purge: Everest.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to see this Everest movie that's hunger games except actually good and not for dumb broody millennial kids

So the Eiger Sanction?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Alan Smithee posted:

It's just a few crafty assholes stealing oxygen bottles and watching the competition flounder in the snow.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Oh wow, that site is awesome

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

climbing vinson seems like it would give better bragging rights in that you've both climbed the biggest mountain on antarctica and also been to there. it seems a lot easier for the same cost too

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I learned that my sister has a copy of the book Into Thin Air and I'm borrowing it from her now, have I made a good decision?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I learned that my sister has a copy of the book Into Thin Air and I'm borrowing it from her now, have I made a good decision?
Yes, it is an excellent book.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Although I think a few things in it are inaccurate or just plain made up. There are a few other books about the same season, the russian guy's tells a fairly different story.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 29, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jamal posted:

Although I think a few things in it are inaccurate or just plain made up. There are a few other books about the same season, the russian guy's tells a fairly different story.

Yeah Anatoli Boukreev was pretty mad over how the book depicted him as careless and not doing enough to save people when the whole summit attempt went south.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The recent movie Everest did more justice to Anatoli. He's just a minor character, but shown as a very competent guide saving people from the storm.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah the book also overlooked how they did have accurate weather forecasts but instead decided to proceed at risk.

Everest is a grueling climb even in perfect conditions but quickly turns into a worse deathtrap if conditions aren't right.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah the book also overlooked how they did have accurate weather forecasts but instead decided to proceed at risk.

They were aware of the approaching weather system, but expected it later in the afternoon. However, the climbers exceeded their return times and ran into trouble when the storm landed as expected. Most of the early returners got back safe.

Mostly, the information that the monsoon was coming early that year plus the heavy traffic on the Step contributed to what happened later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mcustic posted:

They were aware of the approaching weather system, but expected it later in the afternoon. However, the climbers exceeded their return times and ran into trouble when the storm landed as expected. Most of the early returners got back safe.

Mostly, the information that the monsoon was coming early that year plus the heavy traffic on the Step contributed to what happened later.

Yeah probably the greatest blunder was not following the time rule and deciding to press onwards instead of scrubbing the summit attempt.