Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been looking for a non-RG game to play, and never gave Mine Defense a shot. Thanks for the reminder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Klungar posted:

Does anyone have a good guide as to what bloodlines I should be using as I work my way up to Mercs after each Reincarnation? I usually just grab Elf for the free FCs but I feel like there are better ones to use after my first couple of abdications. R9 if it matters.
It's actually pretty simple:

Fairy is the best for income if you're playing fairy or using a merc build based on fairy upgrades (like all the good ones.)
Titan is best for income for all other factions over short games (less than several hours.)
Angel is better for games longer than that if you can keep 100% spell uptime, which doesn't really happen until research.
Druid if you're maximizing mana regen instead of gold for whatever reason.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dwarf can also serve as a replacement for Titan in later reincarnations when you're able to get your excavation total pretty high.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any other places to play Realm Grinder besides Kongregate? :/

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avocados posted:

Are there any other places to play Realm Grinder besides Kongregate? :/

Nope!

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
While looking for a new game to play I ran across Idle Evolution. It's not a clicker type game.

I'm liking the idea of a whole bunch of resources that you have to manage on which ones you need/want and that the harvesters take up actual space. I also like the objective system, though the last one seems to be "get all the achievements" which is annoying.

I don't like that there is a hard cap per box, and the reserve thing still does not make any sense.

It's a good game if you're looking for something slightly different.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Man, the grind from R15 to R16 suuuuuuuuucks. And I'm sure it doesn't get much better from here, but at least the Research phase seems like an interesting paradigm shift.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If pre research is a jog then post research is a pair of rocket boots forcibly strapped onto you that you can't turn off

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

If pre research is a jog then post research is a pair of rocket boots forcibly strapped onto you that you can't turn off

Yeah the only bad part about post-research so far has been the phase getting up to 1e69 gems so I can start using research builds again, it's the only slow part. Other than that it's just a series of crazy jumps in gems every reincarnation.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Honestly from R17+ you can probably just go demon or elf > titan > druid > dwairy and skip mercs entirely

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's possible but much slower. There's a trophy for it that I got at the recommended level (around R25) and it was still slower then.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Sindai posted:

It's possible but much slower. There's a trophy for it that I got at the recommended level (around R25) and it was still slower then.

Yeah, even Diamond Forge is a lot better for a long time during that phase.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Isn't there a Trophy for being on a faction for 3 hours? or is it 3 days?

I should have one for Goblin but I don't see it.

Grindin gems to get to R1 is slow but real steady so I'm OK with that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Beasteh posted:

Honestly from R17+ you can probably just go demon or elf > titan > druid > dwairy and skip mercs entirely

Man I can't imagine trying to get to e69 from Dwairy alone, that's how I get up to mercs. But I bet it's technically possible.

I will say that I generally skip the neutral phase since r19 or so, maybe even earlier. Just go Elves > Fairy > abdicate up until I can start building the dwarf bonuses and then it picks up really quick.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irritated Goat posted:

Isn't there a Trophy for being on a faction for 3 hours? or is it 3 days?

I should have one for Goblin but I don't see it.

Grindin gems to get to R1 is slow but real steady so I'm OK with that.

You get "Because I like to grind" by not abdicating for three hours.

You get the beard trophy by spending ~3 days in a single run as dwarves (or mercs with the dwarf beard upgrade).

You get certain upgrades by spending ~3 days offline total in an R.

You get certain researches by spending a total of 5 days as each neutral faction cumulative across all R's.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

I will say that I generally skip the neutral phase since r19 or so, maybe even earlier. Just go Elves > Fairy > abdicate up until I can start building the dwarf bonuses and then it picks up really quick.
The moment you get vanilla flavor juice it's faster to skip both neutral and prestige and go straight from your preferred vanilla faction to mercenaries.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, uh... R0, ~8 Qi gems into Realm Grinder. I'm trying to balance out the alignments' playtimes so I can get Equality or whatever it's called, but I'm pretty sure I'm past the point where anything other than Titans or Druids are going to contribute meaningfully to my gem totals. Is there anything productive I can be doing with the couple of hours I'm going to be spending in each? I've cottoned on to using Angels to get my 'mana generated' and 'spells cast' stats up, at least.

Or am I missing something - are the Good and Evil factions just that badly eclipsed by the Neutrals at this stage of the game?

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 28, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, uh... R0, ~8 Qi gems into Realm Grinder. I'm trying to balance out the alignments' playtimes so I can get Equality or whatever it's called, but I'm pretty sure I'm past the point where anything other than Titans or Druids are going to contribute meaningfully to my gem totals. Is there anything productive I can be doing with the couple of hours I'm going to be spending in each? I've cottoned on to using Angels to at least get my 'mana generated' and 'spells cast' stats up, at least.

Or am I missing something - are the Good and Evil factions just that badly eclipsed by the Neutrals at this stage of the game?

The vanilla factions are eclipsed by neutrals at the moment, but soon the neutrals will themselves be eclipsed by prestige factions (which are Good/Evil).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If any of your alignment times is more than a day or two away from the others by the time you're near reincarnating don't worry about Equality in R0. Alignment times reset on reincarnation so you can get it more quickly in R1.

And yeah, neutral factions are better than the vanilla ones, that's why they unlock later.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 28, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
...oh, so I could wait until after I unlock the prestige factions to try and balance things out? Hmm....

Sindai posted:

If any of your alignment times is more than a day or two away from the others by the time you're near the end of the neutral phase don't worry about Equality in R0. Alignment times reset on reincarnation so you can get it more quickly in R1.

Well, so the biggest gap is Good, which is ~9 hours behind Neutral right now. I'm just asking because it seems like a waste to sit in one of the vanilla Good factions for 9 hours when it's earning me effectively 0 gems. But trying to get more gems means sitting in Neutral, which is just gonna make the gap wider and wider...

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Oh, in that case I'd go ahead and go for it. 9 hours is nothing to permanently double your income. It'll take you a month or more to get through all of RG's current content.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Oh, geez, it's a 100% Production bonus? :aaa: Heck yeah I'm going for that.

Edit: Another question, while I'm thinking of it - is it worth finagling things so that Grand Balance hits Farms instead of (usually) Deep Mines? One of the Druid upgrades gives the spell a proportionally larger boost the lower the tier of the targeted building, but it's hard to suss out exactly how much the bonus adds.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 28, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Idling to Rule the Gods is on Steam now. It's not a very strategic game, but there's a lot of numbers that get really high. It's the idle game I've spent the most time with.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Idling to Rule the Gods is on Steam now. It's not a very strategic game, but there's a lot of numbers that get really high. It's the idle game I've spent the most time with.

Min-maxing the challenge paths can be a little strategic at least

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Edit: Another question, while I'm thinking of it - is it worth finagling things so that Grand Balance hits Farms instead of (usually) Deep Mines? One of the Druid upgrades gives the spell a proportionally larger boost the lower the tier of the targeted building, but it's hard to suss out exactly how much the bonus adds.
GB picks its target after all other modifiers (and can change targets during its duration, as I noticed after spending several reincarnations thinking I was super clever by buying mine/stone upgrades immediately after it started) so it's impossible to game as far as I know.

EDIT: That didn't actually answer your question. That upgrade's benefit is linear with decreasing building rank, so farms have less than double the modifier mines do. Not worth it to worry about.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 28, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For Equality, it's also worth noting that you need to have a minimum of 3 days total playtime, which means a minimum of 1 day playtime in each alignment. So if you're short of 1 day on neutral, you might as well keep making progress. My method was to unlock everything except faceless and drow, run neutral and evil to 1 day each, and then sit in dwarf/angel autocasting things for a few days for:

- The first few autocasting upgrades (the ones which remove the mana regen penalty)
- Beard carpet
- Unlocking faceless
- Getting 10k spells to unlock drow

In the process, dwarf/angel got good to the 1 day mark, and I got Equality when that happened. If your highest-playtime alignment is more than 1 day, of course, then Equality will require you to get everything to whatever that highest one is, instead of just 1 day. (Or you can do it in a later reincarnation and just go for 1 day, though after R0 you'll be hard-pressed to have a reincarnation as long as 3 whole days for quite some time. Several of them will take mere hours.)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I think someone mentioned a good Idle to Rule the Gods guide in the last thread, anyone have it?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I know I'm apparently very late to the Factory Idle party but I can't figure out how the Sorter's interface is supposed to work:

I understand that by default, outputs from any given building will be distributed evenly, one at a time, across all outgoing paths - starting with the one going up from the top-left corner and proceeding clockwise. So what the hell is this interface for?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but the sorter takes mixed inputs and does user defined outputs. The outputs are numbered top to bottom on the vertical one and left to right on the horizontal one and you use the menu to choose whats allowed through. You're right about what the default is but the whole point of the sorter is to bypass the default and use your own output rule.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 28, 2016

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Aurora posted:

I think someone mentioned a good Idle to Rule the Gods guide in the last thread, anyone have it?

Also interested in this, going to be trying this game out while I grind research.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My first run through RG, unlocked Titans and Druids, got around 25Qa gems. Progress seems really slow now. What am I supposed to be doing?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

insanityv2 posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but the sorter takes mixed inputs and does user defined outputs. The outputs are numbered top to bottom on the vertical one and left to right on the horizontal one and you use the menu to choose whats allowed through. You're right about what the default is but the whole point of the sorter is to bypass the default and use your own output rule.

Okay, this finally makes sense. I couldn't figure out what the "0:0", "0:1", "0:2" meant. It's not really clearly explained in-game.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ranter posted:

My first run through RG, unlocked Titans and Druids, got around 25Qa gems. Progress seems really slow now. What am I supposed to be doing?

Keep playing Druid and abdicating until you get enough gold to excavate a bunch and unlock dwarves + drow. Play elf/dwarf or fairy/dwarf until you're at R2 gems.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks. I figured out my problem too; wasn't using all 3 of the druid spells at the same time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
To unlock dwarfs, do I need to have 800 inns and 7000 buildings in the same run as having the 10Qad coins to unlock? Or can I get the inns, buildings and clicks in a separate run first?

edit: I stuck it out and grinded to 10Qad on Fairies to unlock dwarfs.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 29, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ranter posted:

To unlock dwarfs, do I need to have 800 inns and 7000 buildings in the same run as having the 10Qad coins to unlock? Or can I get the inns, buildings and clicks in a separate run first?

edit: I stuck it out and grinded to 10Qad on Fairies to unlock dwarfs.

For dwarf, clicks are across runs, inns and buildings and coins (and being good) all need to be the same run. For drow, the spells cast and (obviously) trophies are across runs, temples and coins and being evil (which is a requirement for temples anyway) need to be the same run.

NB that for these purposes, the clicks and the spells cast will reset when you reincarnate, but not when you abdicate.

That's for step 3 of both of them. You can (and should) do steps 1 and 2 on other factions, generally titan for the massive amounts of faction coins needed for step 2.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Poultron posted:

Also interested in this, going to be trying this game out while I grind research.

The newbie guide is probably what you're looking for. Not as heavily pivotal as Realm or Mining and rebirth durations tend to run relatively longer than other idling games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whats the best faction to overnight/idle with, at 950T gems and with titan+druid heritages?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Factory Idle came out, kind of a Factorio clone but might be interesting for a bit.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Baldurans/factory-idle?acomplete=factory+i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Apocadall posted:

Factory Idle came out, kind of a Factorio clone but might be interesting for a bit.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Baldurans/factory-idle?acomplete=factory+i

You can also play at FactoryIdle.com, which I prefer (no big ads BS).

It's more a clone of the guy's last game, Reactor Idle. It's interesting but has some pretty big pacing issues...which isn't preventing me from playing it.