Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toops posted:

Excellent post as always, GORF.

I respect E:D for its technical achievements and amazing art and design. I just don't think it's a very good game. I don't know WHY these devs don't think about what makes games fun. The space genre seems to be guided by autistic people obsessed with their wonder of the cosmos. They don't appear to be thinking about what games actually are. The choices E:D made with Engineers are absolutely baffling. They just keep widening that hole, never going any deeper. Really, you think NPC avatars are going to fix the meaningless mission system? Really, you think giving people more ways to upgrade their ships and putting it behind a grind-wall is gonna solve the inch-deep problem?

There is one question that they have yet to answer: "WHY BOTHER??"

I'm convinced they're not even aware this question exists. Why bother moving up the power curve, if that power gives you absolutely nothing beyond the ability to keep moving up the power curve.

Yeah-- I totally hear you, Toops. It's a rather frustrating thing, seeing how brilliantly they've handled so much of the atmospheric touches. The feel of the ships-- the sound design-- it's so incredibly satisfying and all the moreso in VR.

But what to do? Where to go when you can go anywhere and feel like you're in a microvariant of anywhere? So many NPCs, and yet all are microvariants of NPCs already encountered.

The sense of player agency is so ironic -- because there really are many things to do (mining, exploring, combat, smuggling) -- but the potential for player impact on the simulated galaxy is nil. So you have the freedom to do much, and the opportunity to experience over and over the meaninglessness of those actions within the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's almost literally the exact meaningless monotony that Citizens crave, but they're so burdened by sunk cost that they can't see it.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Toops posted:

Why bother moving up the power curve, if that power gives you absolutely nothing beyond the ability to keep moving up the power curve.

Ahhh, the old "satisfying content problem" faced by almost every MMO or MMO-like game, ever. Ultimately, these game always just become about the grind for the grind's sake. At which point, I invoke Joshua and move on (at least until enough has changed to warrant going back for a look).

I got my fill of Elite when 2.0 came out - I suspect I'll come back to Elite to see what 2.2 offers and will skip on 2.1 for now...

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Toops posted:

YES! Finally someone who isn't a snowflake malcontent!

We are here to provide Christ Roberts our anuses on a platter such that He may blend them up into a protein shake and take a few dainty sips before he fucks off to Italy for a weekend boat trip!

I fund developers who are willing to take risks. Was it worth the $7000 I pledged for my ships? Hell yes. It wasn't Chris' fault that Derek Smarts terror campaign resulted in low sales of S42. I put over 300 hours into the PTU and catalogued over 800 bugs so I got my money's worth and then some. Not to mention the friends I've made. We still meet up and discuss which ships would have been best if they had made it in to the finished game. But I don't fault Chris for how much content was missing at launch. We demanded too much of him and only have ourselves to blame.

When I spoke to him at Ben's funeral I told him how much it meant to me that he was willing to go against the big publishers and follow his dreams. He asked me how much I had pledged for the coffin stretch goals and I showed him my 3D printed lesnick and we wept together.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Mirificus has expanded the Cabinet with a B'tak overview!

I really enjoyed seeing this. B'tak is a colorful character in his own right, so each entry is a wonder, but the sum is far greater than its parts. There is a story arc here, and his erosion of faith feels like a microcosm of the deflation of backer engagement and faith we see reinforced in declining sales, reduced Reddit / RSI forum engagement, growing cynicism from former evangelists, reduced twitch streaming, and elsewhere.

It feels like capitulation is underway -- and the cause is the lackluster state of the BDSSE.

If there is any cause for renewed hope, it isn't coming from LA. Sandi made clear how checked out she is with not knowing what the Evocati was two weeks ago and calling CryAstro "AstroCry" this week. Ben's answers to Batgirl's question about wormholes and system naming -- was effectively theorycrafting in realtime using unreleased ships, unreleased wormholes and discussion of undiscovered systems in a game with only one half built system. It was lunacy.

Perhaps the most hopeful sign I saw was the seemingly brighter spirits of Brian Chambers during his AtV segment this week. he looked tanned and sanguine about things for the first time in quite a while. If I were a backer, that it what I'd be clinging to right now more than much else they said or revealed in the last week. It's something, anyway.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 31, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lcrs7/the_buccaneer_roberts_space_industries/

I'm still gonna blame Sandi for encouraging this type of doting from her workerbees tho.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Samizdata posted:

Truthfully? At this point, I would be happy to see a new, shiny, NON dickish Starflight...
Starflight (in addition to being a much-beloved landmark of the genre) is also an interesting story about game development: http://www.filfre.net/2014/10/starflight/

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

G0RF posted:

I think most people here are fans of Skelton. He was a hilarious addition to the early era videos and comes across as good-natured and without pretense. Sorry that your office lost another cool leader figure but CIG seems less and less hospitable to them.

No sympathy for leavers. He was a toxic dink that took 40k of backers money just because "his daughter broke her back" and didn't even have the decency to pledge himself to indentured servitude as repayment.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lcrs7/the_buccaneer_roberts_space_industries/

I'm still gonna blame Sandi for encouraging this type of doting from her workerbees tho.

Wow. Seems like some folks are getting tired of the routine. I'm not surprised to see some complaints because it is pretty grating, but the upvotes on that sort of dissent seem rather new.

At some point, the routine can't help but get tiresome. Because she's interested in Sandi far more than in Star Citizen, and backers didn't back her, they backed her husband's game pitch. It's a game she doesn't play close attention to, a game she's not going to play, a game that's just a means to her own end.

Oh well-- I'm sure things will turn around. Any day now...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Ahhh, the old "satisfying content problem" faced by almost every MMO or MMO-like game, ever. Ultimately, these game always just become about the grind for the grind's sake. At which point, I invoke Joshua and move on (at least until enough has changed to warrant going back for a look).

I got my fill of Elite when 2.0 came out - I suspect I'll come back to Elite to see what 2.2 offers and will skip on 2.1 for now...

I know people like to dog on WoW, and I haven't played since Lich King, but hot drat, WoW landed you at challenging and unique content as a reward for moving up the power curve. That's your solution right there. Why doesn't Elite focus on a "boss system" structure, or at least make certain solar systems filled with unique and highly challenging pirates with great loot/rewards so that you can actually cash in your enhanced ship for enhanced gameplay? It's like, one of the most fundamental parts of game design as I understand it.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

chris and sandi are already on their life boat, the developers are shuffling around chairs on the deck. ship has taken on a lot of water. Insert VHS 2 to continue watching titanic.

would be neat to compile this and old ones for a more complete timeline

don't get me wrong nearly 2mil a month is crazy money still, but lol at about 50% revenue lost since Oct

Yeah, and it used to be they were going to make the entire game for that kind of money

and now they have been getting that every month for four years and they somehow always need even more money to finish the game

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

This concept art is so half-assed even my low standards of money grabbing are appalled.

Love the skull decals along with having Andre the Giant on some table that defies perspective with a craptastic rifle.

That concept artwork is probably the real reason the art director quit; he couldn't handle this decline in quality.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They've been working hard on it and now the RtV layout obscures Justin almost entirely, and the close up shots of the crew focus on the three white people on the left.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

Yeah-- I totally hear you, Toops. It's a rather frustrating thing, seeing how brilliantly they've handled so much of the atmospheric touches. The feel of the ships-- the sound design-- it's so incredibly satisfying and all the moreso in VR.

But what to do? Where to go when you can go anywhere and feel like you're in a microvariant of anywhere? So many NPCs, and yet all are microvariants of NPCs already encountered.

The sense of player agency is so ironic -- because there really are many things to do (mining, exploring, combat, smuggling) -- but the potential for player impact on the simulated galaxy is nil. So you have the freedom to do much, and the opportunity to experience over and over the meaninglessness of those actions within the game.

but will there be procedural birds?
Dat is the question!

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

RattiRatto posted:

We need more space goat pics

These little robot guys are everywhere, and my guess is they're making fun of all the stupid screens attached to everything, they run around and say things like "Don't forget to buy spacecraft insurance." and familiar lines from the SC hangar such as "Can the owner of hoverpike B 1 8 0 please contact the central service desk."

The details are everywhere.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Sandi in Europe spending those Shitizen dollas :homebrew:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CIG should be paying Derek

https://twitter.com/Framicii/status/736449429318868992

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Dolvak's been streaming Overwatch :dawkins101:

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Toops posted:

Excellent post as always, GORF.

I respect E:D for its technical achievements and amazing art and design. I just don't think it's a very good game. I don't know WHY these devs don't think about what makes games fun. The space genre seems to be guided by autistic people obsessed with their wonder of the cosmos. They don't appear to be thinking about what games actually are. The choices E:D made with Engineers are absolutely baffling. They just keep widening that hole, never going any deeper. Really, you think NPC avatars are going to fix the meaningless mission system? Really, you think giving people more ways to upgrade their ships and putting it behind a grind-wall is gonna solve the inch-deep problem?

There is one question that they have yet to answer: "WHY BOTHER??"

I'm convinced they're not even aware this question exists. Why bother moving up the power curve, if that power gives you absolutely nothing beyond the ability to keep moving up the power curve.

This was basically my thoughts on the subject. It's like DCS in space with a lovely MMO grind attached. I've been looking seriously at picking up Evochron Legacy to scratch my "fly around and do poo poo in space" itch

I guess with Braben couldn't let Crobbers outdo him, even in lovely patch releases :sigh:

Edit: Basically, :frontear:'s grinding is lovely, and it could be a lot more fun than it is.

Zest fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 28, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcVF_XYMoK0

A good game

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

redwalrus posted:

These little robot guys are everywhere, and my guess is they're making fun of all the stupid screens attached to everything, they run around and say things like "Don't forget to buy spacecraft insurance." and familiar lines from the SC hangar such as "Can the owner of hoverpike B 1 8 0 please contact the central service desk."

Please pics of the commando deck
Goons have shaped a game

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Dolvak's been streaming Overwatch :dawkins101:

I don't play many games but it seems to me the starting areas in Overwatch, that the other team can't even enter, have more gameplay (movable, destructible objects) and better design than entirety of star citizen. That's not even mentioning the characters skins, emotes, voice lines, characters.

It's such a vast difference in scale between a well designed game and a sodden mess of bugged poo poo.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah Elite is possibly one of the worst designed games I've ever actually played, like some games have mechanics that just make you scrunch your face up and go "why?", and that's literally every single mechanic in Elite.

I went back and read the thread recently and it's amazing, apparently they made enemies spam the equivalent of healing potions and stuns over and over again and then flee and despawn when they get injured, also they have infinite power, heat and ammo breaking the balance of every ship module. They added the ability for factions to hate certain players for no reason, giving them poo poo missions regardless of their rank or standing, you might as well give players random heart attacks if you want to gently caress them over randomly with no ability to prevent it or correct it. At one point they ranked every mission behind a rank wall so new players could do nothing in the starting systems. The people still playing must have Stockholm Syndrome.

The frustrating thing is so much of the game could be so much better without actually requiring any new art or feature development.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ3oTHAPSz4

Also discovered Lucio last night and feel in love.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I wonder if they made a specific point to interview him as a potential counter to our recent criticisms of him.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The only reason I haven't bought Overwatch is because I have a lot of work to do right now and none of it will get done. I need to get a lot projects done and dusted before Andromeda hits on top of that. :pay duck:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Overwatch is fun and good. I haven't even tried like 2/3 the characters yet but D.Va and Lucio are awesome

Winky face!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

For my part, I am expecting something pretty great-- a spiritual successor to Starflight... Even if it falls short of my most bullish hopes, I'm going to play it like crazy anyway, just like Kotor 1 & 2 and Mass Effect 1 & 2.
See, this is where you lose me. I get the criticism of Elite, but the praise for Mass Effect just confuses me. The gameplay in both of those was so... average. You do a cover-based shooter mission, then walk around your ship talking to everyone, rinse and repeat. Ok, you get conversations with options in them, but none of them seem to make much difference to what happens. I'll grant that Mass Effect 2 is better than the first one, on the grounds I can remember what some of the characters were like other than "Guy voiced by Carth Onasi is still annoying, and I wish I could kill both characters when the option comes up." Unless 3 was a huge improvement over the first two (which I gather it wasn't), I've got no faith in Bioware turning out anything more than another grindy shooter with too much talking.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sunswipe posted:

See, this is where you lose me. I get the criticism of Elite, but the praise for Mass Effect just confuses me. The gameplay in both of those was so... average. You do a cover-based shooter mission, then walk around your ship talking to everyone, rinse and repeat. Ok, you get conversations with options in them, but none of them seem to make much difference to what happens. I'll grant that Mass Effect 2 is better than the first one, on the grounds I can remember what some of the characters were like other than "Guy voiced by Carth Onasi is still annoying, and I wish I could kill both characters when the option comes up." Unless 3 was a huge improvement over the first two (which I gather it wasn't), I've got no faith in Bioware turning out anything more than another grindy shooter with too much talking.

Actually, 3's combat system was pretty drat solid. Enough so that its multiplayer was seriously fun for me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Strange they didn't mention Sandi has been in the UK for weeks with Chris before

I always picture these two as the type to fly around allover acting super busy 'omg another flight....sigh, gin and tonic please stewardess'

They do nothing but get in people's way and micromanage that which does not need it , and somehow still justify a massive salary

Happy bitter Saturday morning commados

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
That's what I've always found funny about those two. Like...they willingly fall into the stereotype with poo poo like Sandi's Facebook posts so neatly, the only explanation can be that they are literally clueless and full of hubris.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sunswipe posted:

I'm very much not a fan of shooters, but Mass Effect 2 and 3 (and to a lesser extent, 1) had really enjoyable shootey play. People complain that the games telegraph every enemy spawn, but I don't really get that; it's a cover shooter so it will have covers from which you can shoot

Perhaps it's a non-shooter fan's type of shooter? I dunno, but I would never have thought of it as average.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

That's pretty much any bioware rpg, if you don't enjoy the stories, the gameplay will feel really repetitive and average and stand out a lot more.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Tortolia posted:

I wonder if they made a specific point to interview him as a potential counter to our recent criticisms of him.

It's INN, their videos average 400 views, nobody watches them. At this point their only relevance is us laughing at them and to CIG management. Old Ray sounds the type that would be keen to be interviewed by an idiot for a video nobody watches just because it's a management driven idea.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Atreiden posted:

That's pretty much any bioware rpg, if you don't enjoy the stories, the gameplay will feel really repetitive and average and stand out a lot more.

I think that's what put me off them. The stories seemed so poor compared to the KotOR games. That and I'd already played Alpha Protocol, which did the "shooter with a choices that matter RPG" type of game so much better.

I freely admit I don't always share the popular opinion on games. I didn't think much of Arkham Asylum or City, but loved Origins for example. So I'm sure ME: Andromeda will be much loved by everyone except me. Perhaps my taste in games is just trying to annoy me.

Soul Crashing Lag
Feb 27, 2016

RubberJohnny posted:

Yeah Elite is possibly one of the worst designed games I've ever actually played, like some games have mechanics that just make you scrunch your face up and go "why?", and that's literally every single mechanic in Elite.

I went back and read the thread recently and it's amazing, apparently they made enemies spam the equivalent of healing potions and stuns over and over again and then flee and despawn when they get injured, also they have infinite power, heat and ammo breaking the balance of every ship module. They added the ability for factions to hate certain players for no reason, giving them poo poo missions regardless of their rank or standing, you might as well give players random heart attacks if you want to gently caress them over randomly with no ability to prevent it or correct it. At one point they ranked every mission behind a rank wall so new players could do nothing in the starting systems. The people still playing must have Stockholm Syndrome.

The frustrating thing is so much of the game could be so much better without actually requiring any new art or feature development.

I like it and I don't live in no loving poo poo boring city like Stockholm.
Also, pretty much everything you just said is wrong you utter idiot.
At least FD attempts to fix things, even if their design methodology is too retro for a modern game.

Thanks for making me break my lurk cover with your smelly autism.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For Cloud Imperium Games, priorities are the enemy.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

I feel grief - there is no sound in space. My immersion has been ruined.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

Soul Crashing Lag posted:

I like it and I don't live in no loving poo poo boring city like Stockholm.
Also, pretty much everything you just said is wrong you utter idiot.
At least FD attempts to fix things, even if their design methodology is too retro for a modern game.

Source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Soul Crashing Lag posted:

:ironicat:

• Locked thread