Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's that video got to do with creep? Not got time to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just got back from the London gig. I feel bad for the band because no matter how good their new stuff is or how well it is played, the crowd insists on standing completely still whist Thom busts his moves on stage.

A highlight was someone streaming 3 songs straight on Facebook to a grand total of 3 people which pissed someone off so much that they started swearing at them. People need to chill out and dance away their problems to Lotus Flower.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's that video got to do with creep? Not got time to watch.

It's anti creep

Sound check from 1997 of Thom doing last flowers on guitar

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The band are on a tour, sorry to break up creep chat

01 Burn The Witch
02 Daydreaming
03 Decks Dark
04 Desert Island Disk
05 Ful Stop
06 Lotus Flower
07 Talk Show Host
08 My Iron Lung
09 The Gloaming
10 Exit Music (for a film) (tour debut)
11 Separator
12 Identikit
13 The Numbers
14 Myxomatosis (tour debut)
15 Reckoner
16 Idioteque
17 Everything In Its Right Place

Encore #1:
18 Morning Mr Magpie
19 2+2=5
20 Nude
21 Planet Telex (tour debut)
22 There There

Encore #2:
23 Present Tense “We’re gonna play a new song, cause it’s like hitsville. This one is Present Tense”
24 You And Whose Army
25 Paranoid Android “And finally, before your vegan kebab”

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
This popped up in my youtube feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhZYkKvyRg
Kinda cool, at least makes the end of the song/video make more sense.

fakedit: awesome thumbnail too

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Check out Instagram!! Love Adam & Joe

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Listening to tkol after moon shaped pool takes the edge off the skitchiness of that album. As if the perspective gives it some context.

Trip report: the new album is still good.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah that five year gap really takes the edge off. Shame there's only the Radioheads doing musics.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What do you mean takes the edge off?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think since because it was the newest Radiohead for a while, its polarizing response left a lot of fans unsure where the band was going. Since AMSP came out, I think people are now seeing it in a new perspective, and where it fits in the discography.

I also listened to TKOL after marathoning the new album a few times, and even if I was a fan of it before, I think I love it even more. It's the loveable oddball of their work.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I thought TKOL was ok when it came out but it was seeing them do those songs live that made me love it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Yeah that five year gap really takes the edge off. Shame there's only the Radioheads doing musics.

When the new album came out I listened to nothing but Radiohead for a week. The new stuff informed how I felt about the old stuff and vice versa.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Earwicker posted:

I thought TKOL was ok when it came out but it was seeing them do those songs live that made me love it.

The moment Bloom kicked in with dual live drummers and you could physically see the sheer craftsmanship that went into the song (and the rest of the album), my opinion on TKOL did a 180. I've got Lotus Flower and Separator in my Radiohead top 10 songs list.

Also, I vaguely remember Identikit blowing my goddamn mind when they played it in 2012. I'm not sure, I was drunk for the first eight to ten songs. I just remember screaming incoherently when Airbag kicked up.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CRINDY posted:

The moment Bloom kicked in with dual live drummers and you could physically see the sheer craftsmanship that went into the song (and the rest of the album), my opinion on TKOL did a 180. I've got Lotus Flower and Separator in my Radiohead top 10 songs list.

Agreed on "Bloom" and I definitely had a new appreciation for "Morning Mr. Magpie", which I completely dismissed on the album, after seeing it live.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

Yeah its definitely a lot better live

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HD DAD posted:

I think since because it was the newest Radiohead for a while, its polarizing response left a lot of fans unsure where the band was going. Since AMSP came out, I think people are now seeing it in a new perspective, and where it fits in the discography.

I also listened to TKOL after marathoning the new album a few times, and even if I was a fan of it before, I think I love it even more. It's the loveable oddball of their work.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. AMSP feels connected to TKOL, it helps the latter fit into the ouvre. For some, I guess. I loved The King of Limbs from play 1.

Bloom though, while I'm into it, I don't get why you're all going crazy over the live versions. Maybe because I'm not a drummer. I like it but it's one of the weaker songs on a very good record.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I would be ok with another I Might Be Wrong style live album, but with material from the 2012 tour.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BVDdzOhw9VM

Glass eyes finally done live. I've never heard a crowd so quiet during a song, you can hear the iPhone picture click sounds go off.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Princeps32 posted:

Glass eyes finally done live. I've never heard a crowd so quiet during a song, you can hear the iPhone picture click sounds go off.

Goddamn, how come my iphone video never looks or sounds that good.

If you're on DIME, a new recording of Paris night 1 just dropped. It sounds pretty good.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

I had never seen a shooting star heard an iPhone shutter before

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Sand Monster posted:

Agreed on "Bloom" and I definitely had a new appreciation for "Morning Mr. Magpie", which I completely dismissed on the album, after seeing it live.

Magpie was the only dud for me on their last tour. They've definitely improved it since then.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The acoustic version on TMGLMOAT was rad

edit: i've only gotten to see them live once but it was one hell of a setlist. I was about as close to the stage as this guy was too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYODB1kYco4

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 28, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TKoL was awesome from day-one but got lambasted by a bunch of reactionary twerps who felt they deserved a longer album.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Correct. Hence all the shite about there being a second part coming out too.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Correct. Hence all the shite about there being a second part coming out too.

Wasn't that almost entirely because of the lyrics to Separator saying "if you think this is over then you're wrong " ?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Think there were other 'clues' too but aye.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TKoL was awesome from day-one but got lambasted by a bunch of reactionary twerps who felt they deserved a longer album.

And then we found out there was a bunch of great b-sides that didn't make it onto the album

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I think for a while there was a theory there would be a "second half" in the same way that Amnesiac was to Kid A

and to be fair, 37 minutes is definitely pretty short for a full length album these days. I don't think anyone "deserved" a longer album but I can understand why people were a little taken aback by how short it was.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 28, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It was also following up in rainbows which to me is like a top 3 Radiohead album, so I was pretty disappointed when it didn't live up to it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
TKOl was always great and I insta-distrust anyone who lists it as a bottom 3 Radiohead album but yeah, it was kind of a bummer to wait four years for 37 minutes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Corvo posted:

And then we found out there was a bunch of great b-sides that didn't make it onto the album

2 or 3 of the B-sides are decent, and RH gave them out for free. Anyone can add them to a track list or whathaveyou...but TKoL already flows perfectly.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As someone who didn't get into Radiohead until not too long after TKOL came out and therefore never had any expectations, wishes, let-downs, etc., I consider it to be one of my favourites albums. I've probably listened to it more than OK Computer. It's not a better album of course, but I find it a more interesting trip. Especially From The Basement, but both versions are excellent. I don't think Radiohead has ever released anything I don't like to listen to start-to-finish (even HTTT) except maybe Com Lag since I'm not a fan of the remixes on it.

On that note, Paperbag Writer is some poo poo. I don't think Radiohead has ever played it, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXpMgT2aXA

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Volte posted:

It's not a better album of course,

It is. :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Whomever said a while back that said TKOL felt half done was right on, in my opinion. There were some fantastic ideas that seemed like they needed more time to be fleshed out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

HD DAD posted:

Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

Nope. Every time I listen to that song I'm conscious of the syncopation I know is there but can't feel, a bizarre tension I find weirdly addictive.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I agree. I think it's because the most noticeable syncopated part is Colin's bass line, which is not in the studio version. The Basement version has a back-and-forth pulling effect as Thom's melody lives in the space between Colin's bass notes. Without that, everyone is just playing a beat behind the drums which kind of just kind of changes the rhythm rather than making it sound syncopated.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
When that tune came out I heard it very differently than I do now (probably didn't listen to it for 3 years straight). It seems way more boring and vanilla than I remembered.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What the hell is syncopation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Dub step style (etc) durms or bass.