Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Undid the armless thing in a really unfun boring episode that really felt like it was trying to be something that wasn't a fun ten minute cartoon.

Basically "Too much ARTSY, not enough FARTSY! WE TALKED ABOUT THIS!!!!"

I didn't like Breezy but it didn't make me swear off the show.

Honestly don't entirely know what the hell they're trying to make with this show sometimes, but that's why I keep watching it, I don't know what to expect and it's not amateurs who are experimenting here. Even complete failures like that episode are interesting to see sometimes, I've seen much worse attempts at post-modernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of that, what was the issue everyone had with Breezy? It's been a long time, I don't remember.

Part of it was that the episode was really opaque but the big thing was that three episodes earlier Finn had his arm torn off and in Breezy he just grows it back. It was kind of endemic of that show's refusal to meaningfully change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Finn losing his arm was something that had been hinted at and foreshadowed via alternate Finns for literal years, then when it happens they refuse to do anything meaningful with it and completely undo it in not even an hour's runtime later.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before but I feel the show does the opposite of what it's accused of in that many of the big events have lasting impacts beyond what is obvious immediately and into me it just seems that the people that accuse it of never changing just expected the impacts to be immediate and obvious rather than small and constant. Stuff with Finn's arm, his bad relationship with FO, PB becoming young and so on still come up. It's just the impact if those events wasn't immediately obvious. Things happen and it alters the characters and it happens a lot. Like it's weird that the complaints tend to be about the show having no real change, while at the same time they're also about the format and mood being different than it used to be. The show is different from it used to be because the characters changed and developed with the it's people think had no impact.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I really don't know why people wanted Finn to be armless but it's been around 2-3 years since it happened and that whole storyline wrapped up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not like Breezy was the straw that broke the camel's back, it's just that's an easy example to point to. I still watched after that. It's kinda hard to completely articulate why I don't like the show anymore, I just wasn't enjoying it anymore, and most attempts I try at coming back end with me confused and turning back to my laptop.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I liked AT even when everyone was giving up on it but I understood their complaints mostly but right now I don't know what problems people are having with it. After the last show runner left they've pretty much not had any of the things people complained about and it's mostly been Finn and Jake having adventures

Adam Muto's still the showrunner (and if you're talking about Jmoyns, who along with Herpich had been a pretty prominent boarder, often coming up with his own episodes, his last episode only aired a few weeks ago)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maybe I'm just coming in at bad points. The last regular episode I really tried to watch was dealing with the Betty and Magic Man stuff and the griffon was a major character in it for some reason.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I didn't like, completely stop watching after Breezy but it really bothered me and killed a lot of my investment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaunab posted:

I really don't know why people wanted Finn to be armless but it's been around 2-3 years since it happened and that whole storyline wrapped up.

It's not that people wanted Finn to not have an arm, it's that he both got it back too soon after losing it, and he got it back in an incredibly lame way(and that episode had been yet another obnoxious "mopey Finn" episode of the sort that we've been plagued with since he and FP broke up, seriously I can count on one hand the amount of episodes with a properly competent Finn that have happened since then, it really comes off sometimes like the writing staff doesn't care for Finn much anymore)

Also it always bothered me how in The Tower PB made Finn an incredibly awful and useless replacement arm when she's been shown to be much better at that sort of thing both before and after that episode

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Counterpoint: Breezy is one of the best AT episodes and anyone mad about the arm thing was missing the point entirely.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not mad, per se. It was more disappointment.

But like I said, I've got no real desire to go back to Adventure Time. Steven Universe scratches that itch nicely.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 29, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I still watch Adventure Time, but it feels a lot like the spark has gone out of it. Most of the creativity dried up so that most new episodes are just dealing with things that have already been established as opposed to all the zany stuff that it started out with, and when it does interpersonal drama it often falls flat. Finn's relationship issues were the worst, but now that the writers have pulled back from those, they don't really know what else to do with him.

Regular Show's hanging in just fine, though. I'm interested in where this whole dome thing is going to lead in the end.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

axleblaze posted:

PPG would be WAY better if it didn't try to have a lesson every episode. That aspect feels forced, is at odds with the show's general attitude and drags the rest of it down.

Wait. The new PPG cartoons has lessons? Every episode even? Even that horse cartoon stopped having "obvious" lessons with an actually end of the episode summary after a while.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Wait. The new PPG cartoons has lessons? Every episode even? Even that horse cartoon stopped having "obvious" lessons with an actually end of the episode summary after a while.

Like every episode ends with one or more or the girls apologizing and stating what they learned in some way. It gets old real fast and as I said it doesn't fit the original PPG but really wants to capture whatever makes TTG popular thing it seems to be trying to pull off.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

PhazonLink posted:

It does, and it really, really drags down the show.

If there have to be lessons they should follow the TTG model and be practical and useful lesssons. :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wait, Teen Titan Go has lessons? All I can remember from it is that Beast Boy has a fetish for girls licking his underwear.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Wait, Teen Titan Go has lessons? All I can remember from it is that Beast Boy has a fetish for girls licking his underwear.

I think he was referring to a recent episode where, in response to complaints that the show had no lessons (and in fact has anti-lessons) they had an episode where Robin taught the Titans about buying rental properties. It... Was kind of amazing.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ramos posted:

Nope, though some episodes poke fun of end-of-episode lessons or have cynical inversions of them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The best anti-lesson episode they've had so far is probably the black Friday one. That was incredibly cynical for a kid's show.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ramos posted:

If anything, someone who works on the show probably has a fetish for legs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Leg Day is impotant yo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lady Legasus was sure something. Probably one of the early indicators I'd like the new direction.

In other news today I remembered that, in addition to the RoboCop, Mortal Kombat, UltraForce and WildC.A.T.S. cartoons, Savage Dragon was given the "poo poo That Probably Shouldn't Be Animated But What The gently caress It's Popular With The Kids" treatment.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

FilthyImp posted:

Lady Legasus was sure something. Probably one of the early indicators I'd like the new direction.

In other news today I remembered that, in addition to the RoboCop, Mortal Kombat, UltraForce and WildC.A.T.S. cartoons, Savage Dragon was given the "poo poo That Probably Shouldn't Be Animated But What The gently caress It's Popular With The Kids" treatment.

Don't forget The Toxic Crusaders. Which, should never have been popular with kids. It's barely popular with adults.

Edit:

I was feeling a bit of a drag in the season 6 Adventure Time too. There were just a lot of episodes that didn't feel like they meant anything? Or built too much on lore. It could be that they just felt like they needed to be spread out a bit.

Everyone kind of became unlikable, aside from Jake. PB was doing all sorts of lovely manipulative things and just digging herself deeper into that. Finn was a sad sack, or being kinda creepy. Jakes kids all kind of hate him because he refuses to grow up (in comparison to them) there are some good episodes, though. I really like Little Brother. The Comet was just weird too, it was supposed to be all big, but, it was so out there that I couldn't connect to it at all, and most of the second part of that season focused at least on part of the comet, and impending "change"

I guess this season is just repairing all the stuff what was broken the last season, so it might have been necessary? Steaks was great. Crossover was really cool. The Hall of Egress is back to that weird sci-fi storytelling/adventure. The Thin Yellow Line was a fun adventure that explores more of the Banana Guards and was pretty cute episode humanizes PB again. (Which kinda started with Bonnie and Neddy)

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 29, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

If anything, someone who works on the show probably has a fetish for legs.

And muscles too probably when you take Oil Drums and a couple other episodes into account as well(hell I'm surprised Pantha hasn't made an appearance yet, she'd be a perfect fit for both of those things)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PicklePants posted:

Don't forget The Toxic Crusaders.
I lump that in with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Fox was trying to start up FoxKids and I guess the Troma properties were a cheap grab?

Toxic Crusaders was syndicated, though.

Oh, there was a Swamp Thing series right? Or some limited series kind of thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, there was a Swamp Thing cartoon. A Rambo one, too.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of that, what was the issue everyone had with Breezy? It's been a long time, I don't remember.

Wasn't that the one with heavily implied date rape on Finn from LSP? "Taking it to the deep end" or something like that? That stuck out as an extremely WTF moment in that episode but everyone else seems to be focused on the arm thing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnjdq32u-MU

did you know rainbow brite was bringing satan into your home?? learn in this video

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Quest For Glory II posted:

did you know rainbow brite was bringing satan into your home?? learn in this video
Fourteen Things Witches Hope Parents Never Find Out

Unicorns are oxen! Not horses! This is proof of the occult.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

FilthyImp posted:

Lady Legasus was sure something.

Which time? They've done that maybe 3-4 times now. I get the gag but it's pretty close to "hey that webcomic artist is shoehorning the plot into some really oddly-specific things and oh god I just found their private art account christ" territory at times.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I think he was referring to a recent episode where, in response to complaints that the show had no lessons (and in fact has anti-lessons) they had an episode where Robin taught the Titans about buying rental properties. It... Was kind of amazing.

Wait. I thought the threat stated intent was to do an episode about pensions / 401ks.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 30, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They did go into how owning rental properties is a way to support yourself in old age and pay for your old person medications. Most of the advice it gave was honestly pretty legit and sensible except when towards the end they pretty much went into the advantages of getting rid of rent controlled tenants.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Sorry to bring back a topic from months ago, but remember when the thread was talking about Phineas and Ferb and someone brought up how the last few episodes had some annoying bug characters?
Here's a page from the original pitch:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The bigger crime is that summary paragraph. Multiple spaces after punctuation marks with a proportional width font! :argh:

Check out that proto-Doof though. It's like he's from Universe-1.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait, this is a two part episode of PPG but the first part is a rerun of one of the earliest episodes?!?!?!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

kefkafloyd posted:

The bigger crime is that summary paragraph. Multiple spaces after punctuation marks with a proportional width font! :argh:

Check out that proto-Doof though. It's like he's from Universe-1.

Interesting that Irving's in the original pitch. Kinda gives off the impression that he was retooled into Baljeet and then they decided to use his design later.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also this isn't even the TTG/PPG crossover, lol. That's not til like next month.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Interesting that Irving's in the original pitch. Kinda gives off the impression that he was retooled into Baljeet and then they decided to use his design later.

Something worth noting is how old the Phineas & Ferb concept is, it had been shopped around all the major kids networks since the mid 90's till Disney finally decided to take it

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I've been working through Mystery Incorporated and am at episode 22 or so. I had, after like episode 3 or 4, told my younger brother to check it out.

Asked him last night how he was doing with it and apparently he's basically already done, or close to it. I feel like a good older brother now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nobody will believe that a legitimately good Scooby-Doo series is possible until they watch Mystery Inc.