Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone using the new Insider Build 14352 have the speaker icon in the system tray show up as Muted even though the sound is on?

No it is showing that it is on for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

xamphear posted:

Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

Control Panel hasn't changed at all and yes you can shuffle backgrounds it takes images from your pictures folder from the new Setting app. You can choose from every 1, 10, 30 minutes or 1 hour 6 hours or 1 day for it to shuffle.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xamphear posted:

Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

Christ alive man, at least update to 10586! That's a public build and it's much less buggy than 10240.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The only thing I find appealing with the anniversary update is the dark theme and multiple desk application pinning.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

xamphear posted:

xamphear son, how have you managed to stay on that build?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Please use the Media Creation Tool to make an ISO and upgrade yourself immediately. I don't even think 10240 even gets security updates anymore. The upgrade process is quite painless and there's no need to wait for the Anniversary Update.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Even my main gaming PC is on the Fast Ring and I've had zero issues.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

xamphear son, how have you managed to stay on that build?
LTSB. I don't want to do full upgrade installs more than once a year, tops. Even once a year is pushing it. Upgrade installs have certainly gotten a lot better over the years, but they still result in a bunch of effort after the fact. With any luck the anniversary upgrade will have stopped stealing default program associations and I'll have completely sidestepped that minor shitshow.

VVV: ok? thanks?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

xamphear posted:

LTSB. I don't want to do full upgrade installs more than once a year, tops. Even once a year is pushing it. Upgrade installs have certainly gotten a lot better over the years, but they still result in a bunch of effort after the fact. With any luck the anniversary upgrade will have stopped stealing default program associations and I'll have completely sidestepped that minor shitshow.

It won't and its not that loving hard.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

VVV: ok? thanks?

It's really quite painless these days. On my 4 year old machine it installs in about 20 minutes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's really quite painless these days. On my 4 year old machine it installs in about 20 minutes.
I think he means resetting all your app preferences and settings. Which is still a shitshow (why aren't those stored in a user profile, even if it's just under an invisible preferences user folder that won't get erased?) and isn't likely to get better anytime soon.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Shouldn't you consult your company's IT department about updates? :)

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ToxicFrog posted:

You definitely can't just re-enter the key and have it work.

Except I've done exactly that.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Update, now that I've actually switched out parts. Talked to Microsoft support beforehand, they said I'd have to reinstall using my W7 key... but I switched out parts, booted up, and it just kept working as usual. Still says it's activated with a digital entitlement. No reinstalling, no entering a product key. So... hooray? Though I'm kinda waiting for it to go wrong somehow :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
LTSB is the first RTM 240 build that is buggy as gently caress. LTSB sucks ballsacks.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
The amount of improvements you get in the major updates surely outweigh the few remaining Upgrade Install issues.

Even when I was on the Insider Fast track the installs were super quick and painless, and on any good SSD youre looking at sub-20 minute installs from the time you click Reboot to the time the desktop has been loaded up

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
All of the positive comments about the upgrade installs have been interesting. I'll give the anniversary update a spin as planned, then reconsider running them more frequently in the future based on that experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone on the last few Insiders builds been having crackling sounds when playing sound? Uninstalling the sound driver and rebooting fixes it for a while before it starts again.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
No, but I have had issues with playing files off a cifs mount. Usually works just fine, but sometimes playing will pause briefly. Seems like a network issue but I don't experience it with anything else. And 8.1 was just fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if my OS drive does not have enough free space to download the update?

My home server/HTPC has a 40GB SSD as the OS drive. The Windows 10 update says it needs 5GB of free space but I currently have < 1GB free. Windows\ currently takes up ~35GB, so there's not much I can do to free up more space (pagefile: 2GB, Users\: 2GB). I've tried using Disk Cleanup to get rid of old logs, windows updates and service pack downloads, but it hasn't resulted in much additional free space. I believe part of the issue is whenever any space is freed up, Windows Update immediately fills it will more of the Windows 10 download.

I have plenty of free space on my non-OS drives if that helps.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 if my OS drive does not have enough free space to download the update?

Use the media creation tool and mount the ISO or create a bootable USB drive with it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Use the media creation tool and mount the ISO or create a bootable USB drive with it.

Run it on another computer that does have the needed space free, I think it may still need some space on the system drive for whatever reason.

Also, a Windows 7 install shouldn't take up 35 GB. There has to be something that can be removed from there.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Splinter posted:

My home server/HTPC has a 40GB SSD as the OS drive. The Windows 10 update says it needs 5GB of free space but I currently have < 1GB free. Windows\ currently takes up ~35GB, so there's not much I can do to free up more space (pagefile: 2GB, Users\: 2GB). I've tried using Disk Cleanup to get rid of old logs, windows updates and service pack downloads, but it hasn't resulted in much additional free space. I believe part of the issue is whenever any space is freed up, Windows Update immediately fills it will more of the Windows 10 download.

Running disk cleanup tool (as both a standard user and as admin) should free up plenty of space, especially if you have a hibernation file. Are you running it as admin?
Theres a temp directory for windows updates you can clear out, but I dont remember what it is off the top of my head.

Tell windows update not to download updates, wipe the win10 download directory, and install from a USB.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 3, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rusty! posted:

Except I've done exactly that.

As in, you did a hardware upgrade, W10 deactivated, and you got it to prompt you for a key, entered your W7 key, and it started working again? Without needing to reinstall or contact support? Because everything I've read says that can't be done, and if that's wrong, I would love to know it.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

ilkhan posted:

Theres a temp directory for windows updates you can clear out, but I dont remember what it is off the top of my head.

I believe you're thinking of the winsxs directory.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

plushpuffin posted:

I believe you're thinking of the winsxs directory.

Either that, or SoftwareDistribution.

WinSxS holds all system files, but it also has backups in case you need to revert an update. You can do a full clean with the command "dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase". This will delete all the backups and make it so you can't uninstall updates without doing a system refresh.

SoftwareDistribution is the temporary directory for updates. You can shut down all the Windows Update services (Windows Update, Windows Modules Installer, Windows Installer, and BITS) and delete everything in the directory. Then, just restart the services and check for updates to rebuild it.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Splinter posted:

Just throwing this out there, but if your looking for a quick way to free up some space, give Wise Disk Cleaner a look, it's like CCleaner but seems way more "Hardcore", I ran it once, and it said it found something like 10+GB's of stuff to clean, I was to chickenshit to actually go along with it because it looked like a lot of system stuff such as WinSxS and other installer type stuff, I doubt it will break your computer but since you're going to install a new OS anyway I don't see much downside to cleaning out that stuff.

Okay now for my question, I'm finally planning to upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 7, and I plan on buying a better SSD to go along with this upgrade also because why not, so I want to do a clean install. Thing is my W7 is OEM so I'm guessing that key will not work? I'm going to also guess that I just need to update my PC currently through Windows Update and have it register my PC, then once that's done just swap out my old SSD for the new one and do a clean install that way, right?

Also I'm a bit rusty on OS installs, so is there any quick list for dummies of firmware, drivers, other things, I should grab and put on a usb stick before doing the upgrade. OH and my system uses 2 hard drives a SSD for OS and another larger one for storage/games, is it still recommended to unplug my other drives that's not the main OS one when doing the install? Also I don't want to reformat my second one, so after the install will I be able to just plug it back in and have it just work as my second drive?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Also I'm a bit rusty on OS installs, so is there any quick list for dummies of firmware, drivers, other things, I should grab and put on a usb stick before doing the upgrade.

Here's a complete list of drivers and similar you need to prepare in addition to the OS install media, for a successful installation:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

* Possibly network driver unless you have the disc for your NIC or mobo

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah I kinda figured, the last time I did this was for W7 when I built my PC, and back then it was always a good idea to grab a few things like network drives and Motherboard firmware... but this maybe was because it was a new PC build and not a OS update.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Im_Special posted:

Thing is my W7 is OEM so I'm guessing that key will not work?
During the rest of the free upgrade period it should.

So download Win 10 install media to a usb stick, disconnect all drives, connect ssd, install Windows 10, plug in Windows 7 OEM key during, done. Check everything works, reconnect other drives, verify boot order, done again.

Recent enough computer won't need even network drivers, but why not have them available.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Confirming that my OEM 8.1 upgraded to 10 with no activation issues. Should be the same for 7.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's weird there is so much conflicting answer to this out on the web, some say the key doesn't work for clean installs, others say it does, another says you need to make a phone call to MS and have them okay the key, etc.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Im_Special posted:

It's weird there is so much conflicting answer to this out on the web, some say the key doesn't work for clean installs, others say it does, another says you need to make a phone call to MS and have them okay the key, etc.
It's because it's discussing different situations. Entering your key during a clean install didn't work like that until november, after that it did. The phone call to Microsoft is for when you're doing a motherboard replacement or installing to a new computer and is a whole other can of "if this then that" in relation to the free Windows 10 upgrade. Doesn't apply when replacing a single drive anyway.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

So download Win 10 install media to a usb stick, disconnect all drives, connect ssd, install Windows 10, plug in Windows 7 OEM key during, done. Check everything works, reconnect other drives, verify boot order, done again.

wow this sounds like a lot of fun

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Last Chance posted:

wow this sounds like a lot of fun

The other option is to just upgrade in-place and then use the Windows 10 "Reset my PC" feature that makes it a clean 10 installation.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I don't think it is at all reasonable to expect it to be fun.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's right, it's only the windows 95 installer that promises everything you do from now on will be easier and more fun.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

No kidding.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I doubt there's going to be an answer to this, but I might as well give it a shot. Is there any way to find information on the background pictures used on the screen before login? I love some of those photos, but they change every day so I never see them after that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get a Windows 10 license with my Windows 8.1 install, without actually installing Windows 10?