Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
New Friday Facts! "Soon" https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140

Reading between the lines, it sounds like 0.13 probably won't be released June 1st. I'm guessing some time in the next couple weeks though.

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, even if it does obsolete GotLag's train mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I finally researched rocketry. I should probably build a silo or something.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mr. Powers posted:

I finally researched rocketry. I should probably build a silo or something.

Depends if you want to suddenly divert all resources to getting the silo up and running.

Unrelated, but aside from Bob's Mods, any other real good mods? Kinda want to start a mod-heavy run.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Kovarex of FFF #140 posted:

Hello,
the struggle to finish the latest features and fixes so 0.13 can be in time, or just reasonable delayed, goes on. There is always last missing icon or tweak that was hiding around the corner. It is still not certain whether we can really deliver next week, but we will certainly try to.
Well, drat. Oh well more excuse to build up my current game a little more.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That level crossing in the friday facts is great

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 31, 2022

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

splifyphus posted:

You could even do away with combat altogether and instead add a multiplayer market circulation layer to the game. Compete against other people's factories. Produce commodities to meet market demand, buy supplies you can't get locally. Sell stock in your successful factory, buy other factories. A business meta-layer of multiple factory management. If the players had a way to design new products to fit into production chains and meet new needs, you'd have a self-sustaining multiplayer version of Capitalism - The Game.

I suppose you could ultimately combine market mechanics, production automation, and an engaging tactical/strategic military layer somehow for Civilization - This Time in Real Time, but it would be a goddamn crazy complex grognardy monstrosity of a game at at that point. I'd settle for SupCom/Warzone 2100 bot wars against rival production chains, poo poo would be insanely fun.

holy poo poo this is a good idea

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You should play big pharma.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Nobody should play big pharma.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh man, just imagine running an automated bulk ammo factory. You could sell your buckshot to space rednecks, slugs to everyone else, handcrafted guns to the highest bidder...

... Wait, is there a game out there that does that or. Also are there management games for the other bits of Factorio like metal bars, oil, batteries, industrial lube, etc.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Something I'd really like to see, after fighting too many biters on the goon multiplayer server, is a third/fourth tier of ammo that requires alien artifacts to make. AP ammo becomes less useful at Big and Behemoth levels, and though it's possible to win, you mostly need combat robots or turret spam to do it. Artifact based ammo means you have a reason to consume artifacts beyond the basic research, which kind of fizzles once you get near rocketry.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I've always thought the best fit for combat in factorio would be some kind of tower defense.

Launching a rocket gets you one shot at a tower defense map, your factory makes the towers. Scaling difficulty that gets harder the longer you survive, rewards could be something like unique mods or buildings or consumables that boost production or renew/spawn resources.

E: higher level maps could cost more to launch into and towers would be more expensive in some way to give bigger factories a meaning.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 29, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If I install RSO and run the regenerate command, what happens to my map? I'm tired of having lots of small ore patches that run out too quickly. I'm mulling over restarting with RSO, too, since I'm just getting tired of what I have already.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

If I install RSO and run the regenerate command, what happens to my map? I'm tired of having lots of small ore patches that run out too quickly. I'm mulling over restarting with RSO, too, since I'm just getting tired of what I have already.

All the resources outside your starting area will get regenerated. I did this then went back and console added some oil/ore to the expansion mines that had their resources removed.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Trabisnikof posted:

All the resources outside your starting area will get regenerated. I did this then went back and console added some oil/ore to the expansion mines that had their resources removed.

I ended up restarting. I wanted to switch to passive mode so I could start out with a fairly sprawling base without being resource limited getting turrets up. It's gone pretty quick this time. I'm just about to get blue science up and running, but I need to find some oil first (only two spots near spawn) and that means oil train (probably going to add tanker train car mod to make that easier).

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
There is no need to restart to go into passive mode. You can change modes in game with console commands (you'll have to look them up... on a phone right now)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rapacity posted:

There is no need to restart to go into passive mode. You can change modes in game with console commands (you'll have to look them up... on a phone right now)

Yes, but it would be a gargantuan amount of work for me to decompress my factory.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Mr. Powers posted:

Yes, but it would be a gargantuan amount of work for me to decompress my factory.

It's more work to restart from scratch. If you want to reduce the tedium, give yourself an armor with 1 fusion core and the rest bots, then you can disassemble with 210 bots, and just grab some massive inventory mod so you can hold it all.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I think starting with a "huge" starting area also pushes the monster spawns further away from your initial base, giving you a lot more room.

If you turn down enemy frequency that'll also "delay" them a lot. If you don't kill them by end game the bases will be about as common as normal since they'll build more over time.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

.13:

(from the friday facts)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Achievements have been loaded into Steam, though without the game update no one can unlock them yet.

Some interesting ones in there, like burning down ten thousand trees, winning the game without laser turrets, building more machines with bots than by hand. Also a mysterious one called "So long and thanks for all the fish".

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Tenebrais posted:

"So long and thanks for all the fish".

Finally a use for all these loving fish...

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Since you can put anything into a rocket, it would be funny to have that achievement be "launch a fish into space"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Launch 50 diesel locomotives into space

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lowen posted:

.13:

(from the friday facts)

:gizz:

But seriously, I can't wait for .13 to drop; I've been sitting on a savegame that's JUST at the point where I need to start building train tracks, and the new building system looks so good that I don't want to continue until it's available.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The "Lazy Bastard" achivement looks interesting, "win the game by manually assembling no more than 111 items." Lots of assemblers making assemblers I'm assuming.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assumed that is +- a few things to create your first assembler and then everything else will need to come from an assembler.

Its a pretty good conduct at making sure you stop making things by hand, because the platonic perfect Factorio game really is making everything in an assembler after you unlock that tech, but is kind of super annoying to adhere to 100% of a game.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I laughed entirely too hard at the fact that there's an achievement for being run over by a train.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I would have liked to see some kind of burner related achievement but there are some interesting ones there.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
To craft an assembler, you need:
- Red science
- A lab
- Electricity, which means steam engine, pump, boiler and electric pole

10 red science:
- 10 iron gear wheels
- 10 red science

A Lab:
- 12 iron gear wheels
- 4 transport belts
- 30 copper cable
- 10 electronic circuits
- 1 lab

Assembler:
- 5 iron gear wheels
- 10* copper cable (*you need 9 but can only craft 2 at a time)
- 3 green circuits
- 1 assembler

Steam Engine:
- 5 iron gear wheels
- 5 pipes
- 1 steam engine

Offshore Pump:
- 6 copper cable
- 2 electronic circuits
- 1 pipe
- 1 iron gear wheel
- 1 offshore pump

Boiler:
- 1 pipe
- 1 stone furnace
- 1 boiler

Small Electric Pole:
- 2 wood
- 2 cable
- 2 small electric poles

That's 127 items you need to craft in order to get an assembler. Unless the recipes that make 2 items only count as crafting 1 item (copper cable and wood) in which case it's only 99 crafted items, which is much more reasonable.
Have I missed anything?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And you missed the level 2 assembler, which must be hand crafted(but all its ingredients can be made in a level 1 assembler)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So that's a perfect 100, leaving 11 discretionary crafts. (Probably an iron axe + a mix of furnaces and burner mining drills to start things off.)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So I just recently picked this up, and have already sunk 10 hours into it.

Came across a very weird problem. During the day, my boilers would stop "lighting up" and subsequently my steam engines would stop. However, at night, they cut back on. Suffice it to say, I am running out of power during the day and the night. Any advice?

Fake edit: What's the goon IRC channel again? It's not in the OP.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DarkSol posted:

So I just recently picked this up, and have already sunk 10 hours into it.

Came across a very weird problem. During the day, my boilers would stop "lighting up" and subsequently my steam engines would stop. However, at night, they cut back on. Suffice it to say, I am running out of power during the day and the night. Any advice?

Fake edit: What's the goon IRC channel again? It's not in the OP.

Sounds like a supply issue more than anything. Or maybe that's a bug. I've never heard of that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you sure you're running out of power during the day? What you're describing sounds a lot like what happens when you have enough solar panels to cover your daytime energy load.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Speedball posted:

Sounds like a supply issue more than anything. Or maybe that's a bug. I've never heard of that.

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.

I'm thinking it may be a bug, because it just started all of a sudden.

Jabor posted:

Are you sure you're running out of power during the day? What you're describing sounds a lot like what happens when you have enough solar panels to cover your daytime energy load.

I am definitely sure.

Check out this power graph.

DarkSol fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 31, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.
This is not enough. Doublecheck the temperature on your last steam engine, IIRC optimal ratio was 14 boilers to 10 steam engines.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Also protip: tanks can store hot water! This gives you a buffer of electricity in case your fuel supply ever gets spotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I've never tried having tanks store hot water! Interesting.