Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Check if you actually have the global "Enable Cheats" checkbox checked. In Config -> General.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Check if you actually have the global "Enable Cheats" checkbox checked. In Config -> General.
That was it. Thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
2 things:

1. Timesplitters 2 needs to have MMU enabled in the game settings to work properly, but it isn't enabled by default as of build 9399.

2. Spiderman 2 runs super slow in ogl and has crazy problems in dx11 where random textures are either not being loaded or are being made transparent so you end up seeing through buildings and Spidey is just a pair of glowing eyes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Have you filed bugs on either of these?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's no bug report thing on the website as far as I can see, but since there are at least a couple devs who read this I figured the messages would get where they need to go.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanks. That page should be more...obvious. Anyways I'm gonna file reports after I can get on my desktop and can get the game IDs and such. Are there any files that are usually wanted? I see there's a thing on the form to upload stuff.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's around if you go to the forums or the wiki. We don't plaster it all over the homepage simply because we already actually get a lot of bug reports and they tend to be fairly low-quality.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Any tips on what separates low quality reports from high? Submitting bug reports isn't something I do often and I'm about to submit these two, but now I'm worried they're gonna be tossed out for being crap.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just be polite, make sure you tested your problem on a recent emulator version, and use some common sense. If you know that a thing worked at some point but now no longer does, it helps if you can provide the version it stopped working on, too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thanks. In that case I think I'll hold off until I can test on an earlier build just in case, and maybe a screenshot of spidey 2 is in order.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Bad bug report: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/9536

Good bug report: https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/9554

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Super Mario Galaxy looks so good in HD, it's ridiculous. I actually feel kinda bad for the devs being quite obviously held back by hardware limitations from showing off what they were able to accomplish.

If I were to want to request Dolphin being able to support ds3/4 sixaxis/gyro for emulated wiimote control, would that be best off as a "bug report" on the tracker that can be converted by you guys, or just a thread in the Controller section of the forum?

site fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 3, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

site posted:

Super Mario Galaxy looks so good in HD, it's ridiculous. I actually feel kinda bad for the devs being quite obviously held back by hardware limitations from showing off what they were able to accomplish.
Have you seen 3DS games in HD? :eek:

Pokemon assets look fantastic at 1080p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7bZAZnseE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the 3ds kirby games in hd are almost visually identical to return to dreamland

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So according to my bug report getting silently listed as a duplicate and removed, the spidey 2 being completely broken in dx11 issue has been known for a whole year but no one ever bothered to update the wiki entry for it.

That's been fixed.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Have you seen 3DS games in HD? :eek:

Pokemon assets look fantastic at 1080p:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7bZAZnseE

Holy poo poo, if those games are running at full speed, Citra has made a hell of a lot of progress in the few months since I checked on it last.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Holy poo poo, if those games are running at full speed, Citra has made a hell of a lot of progress in the few months since I checked on it last.

I believe they're full speed but with a big beefy rig.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can anyone walk me through how I'd go about setting up Dolphin for Metroid Prime Trilogy with mouse controls? Obviously only 1 and 2.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Can anyone walk me through how I'd go about setting up Dolphin for Metroid Prime Trilogy with mouse controls? Obviously only 1 and 2.
Not sure what you're talking about with "only 1 and 2", since all three games use the wiimote.

It's been years since i've played it on Dolphin, but here's my controls pre-set, it might be helpful:

I don't quite remember if the things bound to the logitech controller are used in the games at any points, they might just be left over from a previous control scheme or they might be very rarely used. I do remember that i set LCONTROL to give me a very easy ball jump button (swing up & tilt back)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

HenryEx posted:

Not sure what you're talking about with "only 1 and 2", since all three games use the wiimote.

3 has a whole lot of motion control stuff, I thought, so I figure I'll just play that on the actual hardware if at all.

E: is there a N64 emulation thread?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
As far as I'm aware, the current best solution for N64 emulating is to play the Virtual Console versions through Dolphin.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lizard Wizard posted:

It'd suck. Use a wiimote, love yourself.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
It does not, in fact, suck.
Rather, it is slick and baller yo. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

flatluigi posted:

As far as I'm aware, the current best solution for N64 emulating is to play the Virtual Console versions through Dolphin.

That's all well and good, but the game I want to emulate is Banjo-Kazooie, by which I mean I want to find out how to make the jigsaw-puzzle screen transitions look right.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's all well and good, but the game I want to emulate is Banjo-Kazooie, by which I mean I want to find out how to make the jigsaw-puzzle screen transitions look right.

Well there's always Rare Replay if you have an xbox one. I don't think that problem was ever solved on n64 emulators without causing a lot of slowdown.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can play bk through project64 with no problems and my system is pretty old. You should probably get a build from emucr though, that's where i ended up finding them after pj went open source.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Banjo-Kazooie should emulate well overall, but Banjo-Tooie is, uh

It's pretty unplayable, unless you are insanely lucky

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Banjo-Kazooie should emulate well overall, but Banjo-Tooie is, uh

It's pretty unplayable, unless you are insanely lucky

I remember playing through it all the way with some glitches like 7 years ago "fine" insomuch as I had to assume it would crash and used savestates pretty frequently.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Honestly i think bk is the only rare 64 game that doesn't have emu problems.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

site posted:

Honestly i think bk is the only rare 64 game that doesn't have emu problems.

Are you disregarding Mickey's Speedway USA

Diddy Kong Racing works without any serious issues, too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Colonel posted:

Are you disregarding Mickey's Speedway USA

Diddy Kong Racing works without any serious issues, too

Oh yeah, I forgot about dkr

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Well there's always Rare Replay if you have an xbox one.

Gross.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For the uninformed like me, why is it that the state of N64 emulation is so bad, whereas the state of more modern consoles, such as the PS2 and the Wii, is so good?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The versions of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on Rare Replay are the same ones you can download for the 360, so you don't need a Bone for those.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Hey, maybe it'll get a PC release?

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

For the uninformed like me, why is it that the state of N64 emulation is so bad, whereas the state of more modern consoles, such as the PS2 and the Wii, is so good?

Lack of interest and something about really low texture cache space so cartridges were being used to stream in the textures instead of the console itself. Also Nintendo's microcode stuff was not given to 3rd parties for awhile so 3rd parties hard to develop their own solutions for games.

Basically a lot of the games have real hacky solutions to get them to work on the actual console much less on an emulator.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I don't know if i'd say PS2 emulation is in that good of a state unless there's been some serious improvements lately, but it's because the N64 was such a loving weird system to program games for and that led to lots of games having very weird code that is very difficult to emulate properly since most emulators aren't that accurate and only really properly emulate very basic titles that don't rely too much on weird workarounds.

Rare games are very big, and very ambitious and very complicated on a technical scale. That can make them a nightmare.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
PS2 emulation has been more than fine for like 2-3 years, and has even been relatively active (like on Dolphin's level) as of late.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

PS2 emulation has been more than fine for like 2-3 years, and has even been relatively active (like on Dolphin's level) as of late.

Yeah a few games don't work still with hardware mode (looking at you ace combat series and king's field: the ancient city) but most games work just fine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even Saturn emulation is pulling ahead of the N64 these days.

• Locked thread