Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, that bit caught me off guard. Was it in the manga already or is David just deciding who should have Dark Determination (and being totally right about it)?

Dark Determination doesn't show up in the manga until part 7. I hope they keep adding it though, it's a nice subtle call forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The best thing was being shown this multiple times before reading Jojo and forming my ideas of the story based on the video

Diavolo was Hermes/ Baseball Prison Kid

Also Hermes was a hosed up indivual who would show you her panties and then in a second rip out your spinal cord

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pah-riss
There's never been a semblance of an I in there before riss, nor is there in the French pronunciation.

Jojolion 54: American English kills again

I am sorry that you have to find out this way, but it is the year 2016 and your backwater island nation hasn't been relevant for the better part of a century.

Neither has France, for that matter.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

I am sorry that you have to find out this way, but it is the year 2016 and your backwater island nation hasn't been relevant for the better part of a century.

Neither has France, for that matter.

You seem kind of mad that someone questioned a choice you've made about your translations tbth.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

You seem kind of mad that someone questioned a choice you've made about your translations tbth.

Pair-iss is how us americans pronounce it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
pair-iss is so ingrained that you sound like an rear end in a top hat if you say it properly

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

pair-iss is so ingrained that you sound like an rear end in a top hat if you say it properly

or, even worse, like someone who doesn't appreciate Gilmore Girls

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Begemot posted:

Dark Determination doesn't show up in the manga until part 7. I hope they keep adding it though, it's a nice subtle call forward.

determined fiery eyes have been a thing for way longer than like 2006 or whatever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jolyne is the first person to have "dark determination" in JoJo, but it's not really dark because she has white flames.

It might be just the angle of the panel, but when Josuke has it in JoJolion, it's seemingly purposely drawn on the right left half of his eyes only rather than central.

e: fix error

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 28, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the very least davidpro is aware of its place in the series, if the brief reference to it in part 1's OP is any clue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

or, even worse, like someone who doesn't appreciate Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls Season 8 is the only long running series that can possibly stand along side JoJolion when it comes to hype.

Can't wait for Jess/Yasuho to win the Rory/Gappybowl.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

I wasn't serious, but I honestly did not realize the British say Paris differently either, so thanks for telling me something new.

I'll remember to change it for the European edition of Vento Aureo, which will be just like the American edition except it gets released 6 months later and the letter U appears in many places where it doesn't belong.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Wouldn't Joseph, Josuke, and Giorno have carried over into the first Pucciverse

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Raserys posted:

The answer to everything question about the Pucciverse is don't think about it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Daxing Dan posted:

I wasn't serious, but I honestly did not realize the British say Paris differently either, so thanks for telling me something new.

I'll remember to change it for the European edition of Vento Aureo, which will be just like the American edition except it gets released 6 months later and the letter U appears in many places where it doesn't belong.

Joutarou Kuujou

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Raserys posted:

Presumably all of the Joestars carried over except Jotaro and Jolyne, who were changed into new people?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The phrase "ジョジョ実写化" is trending on Twitter with almost 100,000 tweets and any source or link that's getting shared on Japanese twitter is this.

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/11576808/

Some sort of JoJo live action movie, probably of Part 3, with a release date of 2018 is the only thing I can pull out of this just by looking at it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Alright, I just finished Stone Ocean and got through it's ending sequence. If I understand right, everyone alive when Made in Heaven activates is able to witness the universe end and re-begin, and recalls it? When Emporio appears in the jail after the first reset, everyone seems to still be confused after experiencing the effects of MiH. But who is the replacement Jolyne/Jotaro? Does the second reset work the same way as the first, and if so, where exactly do Irene and Annakis come from? Or are these questions ones that have never been answered?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Also, could the effects of MiH basically be thought of as slowing down all living organisms other than Pucci? (And I guess he can allow himself to also be slowed down when it's time for the Universal Reset so that he isn't waiting trillions of years.) Because that is a lot easier to understand than "time goes faster but people can't perceive it."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It Just Works

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As far as I understand it, people don't exactly remember the previous universe (except for Emporio and Pucci who were at the heart of the event and survived) they just kinda subconsciously know what's going to happen because technically they've been through it all before. And that way they can come to terms with everything that's going to happen to them before it actually happens.

And the 2nd reset is way different to the first because Pucci and MIH die before they can complete it so it just messes everything up and basically creates something super different rather than an exact copy. Irene and friends are just like replacements I guess of the prison gang who didn't make it through the universe hyper reset because MIH killed them itself, but even though there is no reason they should all be in the same place or know each other or be connected at all gravity draws them all together anyway.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

A live action Steel Ball Run starring Clint Eastwood and Leonardo Di Caprio.

Eastwood would have to be the Corpse, he's a loving skeleton these days.

Nicolas Cage as Valentine. Tell me the wouldn't sell the gently caress out of DOJYAAA~N.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hoobajoo posted:

Nicolas Cage as Valentine. Tell me the wouldn't sell the gently caress out of DOJYAAA~N.

I could see that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

Eastwood would have to be the Corpse, he's a loving skeleton these days.

Nah we're using Araki's stand to get prime Clint for Gyro, don't worry.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nah we're using Araki's stand to get prime Clint for Gyro, don't worry.

If we can do that, I'd grab prime Johnny Depp.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I could see that.

I was thinking he'd make a decent Speedwagon.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

I was thinking he'd make a decent Speedwagon.

Nicolas Cage is only good at playing absolutely crazy people. Speedwagon should be Seth Rogan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

If we can do that, I'd grab prime Johnny Depp.

Magent Magent

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's a pity that no mortal men can ever be as charismatic and handsome as Jojo's most important character

koichi hirose

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember that time Koichi and his best friend Dioseph Brandostar fought a Hitler cosplayer?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dias posted:

It's a pity that no mortal men can ever be as charismatic and handsome as Jojo's most important character

koichi hirose

i'll be honest i heard the koichi steals girls underwear.

no dignity.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
People in the anime thread talking about how cool Echoes Act 2 is reminded me that I'm always really disappointed with Echoes Act 3. The stand goes from sound effects to sound effects that create REAL effects, to...making things really heavy. The first time the stand shouts "ACT THREE, FREEZE!" I thought it'd be like a weird "make a rhyme, then poo poo happens" thing, but THREE FREEZE is only thing it ever does, so I always found it really weird how Act 3's power has pretty much nothing to do with sound anymore, especially after how creative Koichi could be with Act 1 and 2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Terrible wordplay puns which don't make a lick of sense in translation are a bedrock of Japanese culture, even JoJo isn't immune

Also I think Araki realised how insanely open-ended and powerful Koichi's Stand was and decided to give him something more limited and clearly defined, as with any creativity Act 2 could probably have taken on Kira by itself

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

multijoe posted:

Terrible wordplay puns which don't make a lick of sense in translation are a bedrock of Japanese culture, even JoJo isn't immune

Also I think Araki realised how insanely open-ended and powerful Koichi's Stand was and decided to give him something more limited and clearly defined, as with any creativity Act 2 could probably have taken on Kira by itself

That's my theory too. "oh poo poo echoes 2 is kinda stupid let me nerf this poo poo", a la "oh poo poo this guy can incinerate everything can't he"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xad posted:

People in the anime thread talking about how cool Echoes Act 2 is reminded me that I'm always really disappointed with Echoes Act 3. The stand goes from sound effects to sound effects that create REAL effects, to...making things really heavy. The first time the stand shouts "ACT THREE, FREEZE!" I thought it'd be like a weird "make a rhyme, then poo poo happens" thing, but THREE FREEZE is only thing it ever does, so I always found it really weird how Act 3's power has pretty much nothing to do with sound anymore, especially after how creative Koichi could be with Act 1 and 2.
The thing with Act 3 as I have understood it is that it's changing the spelling of three to freeze which have a closer spelling and prounciaton in katkana. So Act 3 is still messing with wordplay in a different way just in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense to us. It's weird that that's it's only power and it kinda feels like a pure counter to Sheer Heart Attack but Koichi uses it outside of that encounter which is more than I can remember for Act 2

I don't care at all for Act 3 looks but I enjoy that it talks back to Koichi and has a personality completely different from its user.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xad posted:

I dunno, as right as you are about it losing the creativity gimmick there's a direct through-line about Koichi's development presented there. Act 1 cannot truly interact with the world, only causing echoes and copying others to genuinely change things. Act 2 turns those words into real actions, allowing Koichi to actually influence the world around him, showing burgeoning strength and resolve. Act 3 is the culmination of Koichi's development and striving out into the world his own man. It is the truest manifestation of his [Presence] to the point that he now has the force of will to completely overwhelm anyone else. As weird of a change up as it is it fits where that character was going perfectly and I kind of wouldn't want it any other way.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's probably because Act Three's power is delightfully non specific and if fully explored could be ridiculously overpowered. It basically implies that because Three and Freeze sound similar, he just changed the spelling and applied that effect.

So if he says something like "That guy needs to chill, I'll change that to kill" and straight murder whoever he wanted.
"God-drat Kira, you have poo poo breath"
"Hmmm, poo poo breath... heat death... heat death of the universe :v:"

My grievance with Act 3 is that he looks crappy compared to 1 and 2.

Kind of like how Josuke used Soft & Wet to pull all the oxygen out of Yagiyama's body. There's no real reason why he couldn't have done that to Damo or anyone else he comes up against. If there's a potentially overwhelmingly powerful way to use your ability, brush it under the table

Moltrey posted:

So Act 3 is still messing with wordplay in a different way just in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense to us.

Three Freeze is a lot more soundalike than "Suri Furizu". It's a pun that only really makes sense in English, which is probably why Echoes speaks English outside of SHA in future bits and maybe even why Koichi is shown to get 100/100 on his English test at the end of Yukako's part. Establish Koichi's got good English skills for his age/class, his stand even uses that in combat.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 29, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

let's kill da ho beeetch

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

What kind of music has Koichi been listening to, to learn such turns of phrases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

standard owl posted:

What kind of music has Koichi been listening to, to learn such turns of phrases

I told you that ruffian Okuyasu was a bad influence to my babby Koichi. Now he's not even going to his violin lessons, he just wants to listen to the hip-hops.