Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

Yes, it is an excellent book.

I don't think I've read a bad Krakauer book. Eiger Dreams is good too, and of course Into The Wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to see this Everest movie that's hunger games except actually good and not for dumb broody millennial kids

The end scene will be Jennifer Lawrence in a yellow coat and a sherpa threatening to eat a kill dose of everestberries, then she dies from oxygen deprivation and the sherpa turns to the camera and grins as he drops the turds from his hands and walks back down.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I think the one key in the '96 disaster is why Rob didn't adhere to his own turn around time? A lot of the climbers that got caught were from his team, let alone him getting stuck with Doug

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:australia: media just cant stop milking this story.

The Melbourne university lecturer died as she attempted to descend the mountain after being stricken with altitude sickness.

"I asked, 'Do you mind if I go on?' and she said … 'Yes you go on, I'll wait for you here'," her husband Robert Gropel told Channel Seven's Sunday Night program.

"I didn't want to separate from her, I wanted her to keep going," he said.

"I also understood that she was just very exhausted … From that position, the summit did not look that far.

"When I made it to the summit of Everest, it wasn't special for me because I didn't have her there.

"I just ran up and down and it didn't mean anything to me, because we do everything together.

"Everything else we did together was much more special."

When asked if he blamed himself for his wife's death, Mr Gropel said "of course".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
$25000 well spent.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I think the one key in the '96 disaster is why Rob didn't adhere to his own turn around time? A lot of the climbers that got caught were from his team, let alone him getting stuck with Doug

hypoxia is a hell of a thing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mega64 posted:

$25000 well spent.

Well really more like 50k for the two of them.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
leaving your wife whom you swore to protect to die frozen and alone while you completed a high altitude tour : priceless

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mega64 posted:

$25000 well spent.

Cheaper than a divorce.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Cheaper than a divorce.

:eyepop:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

The Melbourne university lecturer died as she attempted to descend the mountain after being stricken with altitude sickness.

"I asked, 'Do you mind if I go on?' and she said … 'Yes you go on, I'll wait for you here'," her husband Robert Gropel told Channel Seven's Sunday Night program.

"I also understood that she was just very exhausted … From that position, the summit did not look that far.

"When I made it to the summit of Everest, it wasn't special for me because I didn't have her there.

"I just ran up and down and it didn't mean anything to me, because we do everything together.

When asked if he blamed himself for his wife's death, Mr Gropel said "of course".

He left his wife to die on a mountain. That's metal as gently caress.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

But they didn't die together

Who failed whomm

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Cheaper than a divorce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rziE39JWfs

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He left his wife to die on a mountain. That's metal as gently caress.

Left her to die them climbed the tallest mountain in the world running around in circles at the top going woop woop woop

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

He's trying to play it off like he thought she would be ok, but he had to have known. Even through all the haze, some part of him had to be screaming that if he left her there, that would be the last time he'd ever see her alive. Dude straight up abandoned his wife to reach the top. The only thing colder than that was her body when he got back.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Husband eating hamburgers

It's so sad

Pass ketchup

She loved ketshp

This for you babe

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

FrozenVent posted:

Cheaper than a divorce.

You're gonna start giving people ideas.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

He's trying to play it off like he thought she would be ok, but he had to have known. Even through all the haze, some part of him had to be screaming that if he left her there, that would be the last time he'd ever see her alive. Dude straight up abandoned his wife to reach the top. The only thing colder than that was her body when he got back.

in his defense, she was a vegan

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

bitcoin bastard posted:

in his defense, she was a vegan

Dude just wanted to eat a burger without getting an 8 hour lecture.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

donkey salami posted:

Husband eating hamburgers

Once again, vegans.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man. I watched the Anthony Weiner documentary thus afternoon and just now read this. Depressing! :saddowns:

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

That's going to be awkward to explain to people at the funeral, while they're doing that "at least she died with her husband by her side" part he'll be "Well *cough* actually, I mean... i paid all that money and... y'know it'd be a shame to waste the chance... so y'know I sort of hosed off to climb the rest of the rock while she died, so she was alone.... but hey at least I asked her first it's not like people up those altitudes make bad decisions when they're ill right?"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

As a divorce attorney, 25k is a drat good deal

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zyla posted:

This Everest climbing thing is starting to make sense.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I don't think I've read a bad Krakauer book. Eiger Dreams is good too, and of course Into The Wild.

Under the Banner of Heaven is loving amazing. Also depressing as hell. :smith:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is Buried in the Sky any good?

I just really like the title

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zyla posted:

That plus once he's hitting on women next week after the mourning period he can totally brag about climbing Everest (while leaving his wife to die).

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Under the Banner of Heaven is loving amazing. Also depressing as hell. :smith:

Yeah. I bought that after a recommendation from a previous Everest thread. I read about 50 pages and put it down, and never picked it up again :smith:

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

is Buried in the Sky any good?

It's very, very good.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zyla posted:

I mean, not to be an rear end in a top hat, but yes. Apart from his wife dying (which if he's not a complete psychopath should be the worst thing that has ever happened to him) he will be financially quite well off now if he's the legal heir of his wife (which in many common law systems is usually the case).

Disregarding that completely, I know hindsight is better than 20/20 when dealing with hypoxic climbers, but I can't shake the feeling that after summiting six other challenging mountains, he'd know his own and his wife's physical limits pretty well at this point. Which means he knew that she was completely out of gas in the most hostile environment on earth, where exhaustion quite literally will kill you, and decided to leave his wife alone there and go summit instead.

I don't know at that point if it would have been possible for him to save her by turning around and going back down immediately, but leaving her there is just cold as all hell. I don't think I could do such a thing in that kind of environment, in fact I think leaving someone alone in a very dangerous survival-type situation is the absolute last resort - when going for help.

I'm not sure I'm willing to believe a man like that when he says he had that conversation before the summit, even. No chance of independent corroboration of that story.

I guess I can't shake the feeling (and I'm serious now) that he's a egotistical, narcissistic rear end in a top hat with no regard for even his wife who decided that his personal glory was worth potentially leaving a person to die alone in the freezing thin air of the mountain.

And then having the loving cheek to ask other people to finance the retrieval of her corpse off the mountain - probably just having inherited an estate of some value.

Or he could be a great human being with some lovely luck, what do I know. My gut says he's an rear end in a top hat though.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

he's an rear end in a top hat

Just lie here while your body shuts down sweety, I'll be just over that next ridge.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

..."and as we commit her body to the ground, now finally recovered, we say a prayer for her soul and for her devoted... well, for her soul and her husband."

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Any goonettes here want to go hiking with me?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

He will better off since he can now eat steaks in peace.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I saw a car today with a vanity plate that said VEGAN and at least 5 vegan bumper stickers. In that moment I understood why Everest thirsted for blood.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Would`nt he have died if he stayed with her?The death zone is not a place you wanna hang out in for one minute more then you have to. Seems just as much a matter of survival to abandon her. Better one corpse then two.
And if you`re gonna make sure you survive why not summit as well. This way at least the trip was not a ccmplete loss. I dunno if i agree that marriage implies a obligation to pointlessly die with your spouse.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Baudolino posted:

Would`nt he have died if he stayed with her?The death zone is not a place you wanna hang out in for one minute more then you have to. Seems just as much a matter of survival to abandon her. Better one corpse then two.
And if you`re gonna make sure you survive why not summit as well. This way at least the trip was not a ccmplete loss. I dunno if i agree that marriage implies a obligation to pointlessly die with your spouse.

I think 'Ok honey, you're not in a good way, let's go back down TOGETHER' would be the noble thing to do.

Now he has the Pyrrhic victory of summitting Everest alone while leaving his wife to die.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rondette posted:

I think 'Ok honey, you're not in a good way, let's go back down TOGETHER' would be the noble thing to do.

Now he has the Pyrrhic victory of summitting Everest alone while leaving his wife to die.

Pretty sweet use of Pyrrhic victory.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baudolino posted:

Yeah rescues in the death zone are pretty much impossible especially if the person suddenly gets a bad case of HAPE/HACE during the climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I bet he's got some sweet rear end summit photos taken the exact moment his wife was dying though :smug: