Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:LATEST EPISODE: 44 - Old King Allant:siren:

From Software has made a name for themselves with their super popular Souls games; they're challenging, but ultimately fair RPGs that punish recklessness and reward careful and methodical play. Just recently, they released Dark Souls III, the grand finale of the Dark Souls subset of games, to much acclaim. Personally, I've played the poo poo out of all three Dark Souls games, but I haven't actually touched the others; namely, I haven't played Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. Let's fix... part of that.

This is a blind LP of Demon's Souls where I'm regularly joined by my friends liquidypoo and Casnorf and assorted others who appear sporadically. As of the writing of this post, I have at least half of the game recorded, but don't take that as an excuse to talk about anything not in an actual video. If you want to talk later things, take it to Games.

This LP was born from a Halloween stream idea where deaths would be met with liquidypoo reading a post from PYF Food Industry Horror Stories. Yes, it's kind of a dumb gimmick, but bear with us, it only lasts a few sessions and the main takeaway from that is that this LP is a mostly casual blind run. Because the LP itself is a series of streams, the audio and video aren't going to be as good as when mux everything together myself, but everything should still be good enough. The first nine or so sessions of this LP are essentially stream dumps, so the quality will be okay, but not great. Starting from session 10 and onwards, I learned how to use Elgato's fancy stream stuff which now lets me have a perfect quality capture with no commentary on top, so expect the videos to pick up in quality around there.

Of course, what kind of a Souls LP would this be without invasions? As of the writing of this OP, I am SL 61 and I have a stock of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes, so I'll be spending a good chunk of the rest of the playthrough in Body Form. I'll tweet out when I'm doing a stream and I'll post here in this thread when I'm going live, what level I'm currently at and where I'm planning on going so you know exactly where to get the drop on me. You can find my twitter here!

I think that about does it, so let's get things rolling and touch the demon inside.

Current status:
SL 73
Game complete!

Playlist

Session 1 (featuring Demerine): Tutorial and World 1-1

Session 2: World 2-1 and a peek at 3-1

Session 3 (featuring Jobbo_Fett): World 4-1 and a peek at 4-2

Session 4 (featuring Jobbo_Fett): A peek at 4-2 and World 2-2

Session 5 (featuring Jobbo_Fett): A peek at 2-3 and World 1-2

Session 6 (featuring Jobbo_Fett and Demerine): World 5-1 and World 2-3

Session 7: World 3-1

Session 8 (featuring PoorlyWrittenNovel, Blastinus and FPZero): World 3-1 and a peek at 1-3

Session 9: World 4-2

Session 10: World 3-2 and World 3-3

Session 11 (featuring Artix and Nine-Gear Crow): World 5-2

Session 12 (featuring Jobbo_Fett): World 1-3 and a peek at 1-4

Session 13 (featuring Artix): World 1-4 and ending

Fan Stuff!

Demicol caught me killing an invader thanks to the help of network latency!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 4, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Man, that first blue-eyed knight got RGet's dagger right in the dick. Also:

quote:

:pray: Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted so the world might be mended, so the world might be mended.
Those are some lines I will never forget. :) I look forward to seeing all the ways Demon's Souls dicks you over, Argate!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Real OGs stay in Soul Form cause you're more sneaky that way. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Real OGs stay in Soul Form cause you're more sneaky that way. :colbert:

I actually really like that detail, like, of course you wouldn't make noise, you don't have a corporeal form. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah! I love this game! I am one of those broken brained people who likes watching Souls games played blind, so I am pumped.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this game is good.

no spoiler tags. mods, ban this sick filth

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Blind Sally posted:

this game is good.
Counterpoint: This game is ok.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah, Demon's Souls was fine for its time but it's incredibly janky to play now. The improvements from Demon's to Dark are staggering, let alone up to Bloodborne and DS3.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Artix posted:

Yeah, Demon's Souls was fine for its time but it's incredibly janky to play now. The improvements from Demon's to Dark are staggering, let alone up to Bloodborne and DS3.

On the contrary, I think it plays and looks better than Dark Souls 1. It definitely runs better.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Beelerzebub posted:

On the contrary, I think it plays and looks better than Dark Souls 1. It definitely runs better.

Naw, sorry dude. Demon's is definitely Jank Souls. I don't think we've seen it yet in the posted content, but the frame rate dips if you break more than three things at once. We'll see it. There are also strange physics interactions when the player or enemies are knocked off of cliffs. And there are a number of things that just get cleaned up considerably in the transition from Demon's to Dark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of this game. I'm just not willing to lie to myself and say it runs better than Dark.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

liquidypoo posted:

Naw, sorry dude. Demon's is definitely Jank Souls. I don't think we've seen it yet in the posted content, but the frame rate dips if you break more than three things at once. We'll see it. There are also strange physics interactions when the player or enemies are knocked off of cliffs. And there are a number of things that just get cleaned up considerably in the transition from Demon's to Dark.

Don't get me wrong, I love the hell out of this game. I'm just not willing to lie to myself and say it runs better than Dark.

I'm about 15 hours in, myself, and I haven't run into that problem, but that may be because I've only had what amounts to a "sampling".

Edit: I do like to take games at a snail's pace, though, so I'm probably not too far in.

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 30, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think I've hit 15 hours just yet, but the game has definitely been pretty janky so far. It's a lot of fun, but there's a lot of jankiness to it as well and the havok physics remain the best thing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Casnorf posted:

Counterpoint: This game is ok.
Counter-counterpoint: This LP is ok.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't think I've hit 15 hours just yet, but the game has definitely been pretty janky so far. It's a lot of fun, but there's a lot of jankiness to it as well and the havok physics remain the best thing.

By that you mean the noodly remains of vanquished enemies, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There's that, and the fact that rolling into a shelf can launch an innocent bowl halfway across a courtyard. :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Casnorf posted:

Counter-counterpoint: This LP is ok.

Contra-counter-counterpoint: your opinion is ok.

:dropmic: :360noscope: :colbert: :siren:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChaosArgate posted:

Half the fun of Demon's Souls is its jankiness.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

By the way I think I forgot to mention that we're going to go through early updates sporadically, but quickly. I have a massive backlog so let's get to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm thinking about doing a stream tonight around 8-8:30 est. SL should be around 61 and I'm planning on Latria 2.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm thinking about doing a stream tonight around 8-8:30 est. SL should be around 61 and I'm planning on Latria 2.

A link would be rad

vvv awww yyyyeahhhh

Glenn_Beckett fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 1, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Glenn_Beckett posted:

A link would be rad

I didn't provide one because I was gonna do it when the stream started.

Namely, now.

https://hitbox.tv/chaosargate

Stream done! Thanks everyone for watching! We cleaned up the rest of World 3 so next up on stream is World 5!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 1, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Aaah, this is where the thread title comes from!

I just started rewatching Squint's old LP because it seems I can't get enough Souls in my life, and it's staggering how much better the videos look now that technology has progressed. You're also not doing half bad even compared to his well-informed playthrough, so I'm already pumped for the next episode! Hope you get your revenge on that Red Eyes Knight soon...your Dagger was really doing good work there.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Just you wait until we get to some of the more recent streaming session recordings. Argate did some wizarding with his capture software and it's just going to look even radder than the currently posted content does.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Speaking of, I'm going away for the weekend, so we thought we'd do another stream, tentatively at 8 EST. I'll post again with the stream link if we're able to do it.

Edit: Probably going to have to start around 8:30-8:45ish.

Edit2: We are currently waiting on liquidy, but hopefully he'll be done soon.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 3, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like we're not doing it tonight, sorry to disappoint anyone who was looking forward to it. No one ended up being available for co-commentary and I don't think solo-blind commentary is really that entertaining and I know I can't hold a stream by myself, so we're gonna hopefully try again next week.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I believe the scimitar/falchion attack you were looking for is a two-handed attack. It was the follow-up one-handed strong attack in Dark Souls, which annoyed me, and I was surprised to find it in Demon's as well when I went back to it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Oh man, it's been a while since I've done a run of Demon's Souls. I forgot how much I hated the grass system for healing, even before I had played Dark Souls. Still, I do think this game did a lot of things right, and it probably had the most memorable boss fights in the souls series.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm out til Monday so have an update before I go.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

It's only tangentially related, but I really wanna share this mobile app that was brought to my attention: Soapstone!

Download that sucker, pop open the settings and choose your favorite game region, and leave soapstone messages in real life. I'm a skinny piece of poo poo, so I left "Visions of skeleton..." at my house :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there's one thing common across all the Souls games that I've played its dragons, and spending 15 minutes plinking them with arrows to get the stuff I want.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If there's one thing common across all the Souls games that I've played its dragons, and spending 15 minutes plinking them with arrows to get the stuff I want.

Face tanking fire is the true way to get dragon loot. :colbert:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Very nice face tanking in general! I have a feeling the boss will be harder to face tank...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Very nice face tanking in general! I have a feeling the boss will be harder to face tank...

I like to think I had a pretty solid, if possibly wasteful, strategy!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think this is exactly how you're supposed to do Phalanx. Excluding being even more wasteful: using Turpentine on your weapon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I think this is exactly how you're supposed to do Phalanx. Excluding being even more wasteful: using Turpentine on your weapon.

Gonna be completely honest, I almost never remember to use any kind of resins on my weapons. :downs: It was a cool fight though!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think I have used resins a grand total of three times during my Souls playing career, though a bit more recently to apply extra bleed in DS3 because that just works incredibly well and is, well, the basis of the build. Especially against tough-ish bosses I keep thinking "man if I die this will have been a total waste"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Every time liquidypoo reads a food industry horror story, my response is essentially :allears:. (My father's a retired CRNA, so my gross-out threshold was way higher than normal.) Keep up the good work!

But to address the main topic, Demon's Souls is one of those games I'd be interested in playing if I actually owned a PS3. The only real troubles with it are that it's rather rough in a number of places (as I'm sure you've found), and that the combat gets a bit too ponderous for my tastes.

• Locked thread