Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jerusalem posted:

So this is gonna be like the time Magneto got de-aged 40 years and started going by Joseph, with Marvel proclaiming loudly,"This IS Magneto. It is NOT a clone, not a robot, not a Skrull, it IS Magneto!" and then a few issues later they revealed,"Oh hey he's actually a clone."?

I'm betting it's a secret triple cross... but Marvel has been dumb before about this sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

So this is gonna be like the time Magneto got de-aged 40 years and started going by Joseph, with Marvel proclaiming loudly,"This IS Magneto. It is NOT a clone, not a robot, not a Skrull, it IS Magneto!" and then a few issues later they revealed,"Oh hey he's actually a clone."?

This one got enough attention that they were obliged to lie to the New York Times about their intentions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/books/reintroducing-captain-america-and-dr-manhattan.html

But no I'm sure Real Captain America is a Hydra terrorist and this won't be retconned within six months.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

What do you mean Dr Manhattan, as in the Dr Manhattan from Watchmen

Not even his Earth-4 analogue, Allen Adams the Quantum Superman, not even one of the gazillion Captain Atoms, the successor of the Charleton Comics character, but the actual Dr. Manhattan from the Vertigo series Watchmen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Didn't they fairly recently kill Captain America in another this is not a simulacrum or copy or clone or mind trick stunt?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You say that like dying means anything to any character who isn't Uncle Ben

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Calaveron posted:

Didn't they fairly recently kill Captain America in another this is not a simulacrum or copy or clone or mind trick stunt?

It was like a decade ago, it turned out he was just transported to an alternate dimension by the Red Skull for "reasons" but since it was Brubaker and the cosmic cube was a major part of the plot for a good chunk of his run I'll allow it.

Edit : also that run opened with resurrected Bucky Barnes, the only Marvel character who'd been dead longer than Uncle Ben.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 27, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Calaveron posted:

That was the climax of Civil War 1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

It was like a decade ago, it turned out he was just transported to an alternate dimension by the Red Skull for "reasons" but since it was Brubaker and the cosmic cube was a major part of the plot for a good chunk of his run I'll allow it.

Edit : also that run opened with resurrected Bucky Barnes, the only Marvel character who'd been dead longer than Uncle Ben.

He wasn't transported to another dimension, his consciousness was unstuck in time.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Here's the letter I just sent off to Marvel:

quote:

Hey, guys:

In the spirit of Steve Rogers' recent super edgy reveal, here's some other ideas:

A) what if Luke Skywalker was a secret Sith Lord before he met Obi-wan Kenobi?

B) what if Optimus Prime was a Decepticon all along?

C) what if Axel Alonso is secretly working for DC Comics?

D) what if Captain Kirk was a secret Klingon?

E) what if Freddie Mercury from Queen was secretly Prince in disguise?

F) what if Dr. Doom was secretly Willie Lumpkin in disguise, trying to keep Mr. Fantastic from turning the Thing back into a normal man?

G) what if Ozymandias from Watchmen was secretly behind the giant alien Squid that attacked New York City in that miniseries? (Sorry, I've been informed that that's actually what happened.)

H) what if Peter Parker travelled back in time to kill Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy so he could get Mary Jane to go out with him?

If I come up with any more hot takes like that, I'll write in again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Quit bitching and post funny panels.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

X-O posted:

Quit bitching and post funny panels.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

D) what if Captain Kirk was a secret Klingon?

Part of me remembers SOMETHING actually used that in a tiny, blink-and-you'll-miss-it way, but I'm not up on my Trek enough to remember what it was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bloodly posted:

Part of me remembers SOMETHING actually used that in a tiny, blink-and-you'll-miss-it way, but I'm not up on my Trek enough to remember what it was.

There's an episode where Spock pretends to kill Kirk in order to fool the Romulans. There's also an episode where Spock thinks he kills Kirk, but Kirk is tricking him for reasons.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There's an episode where Spock pretends to kill Kirk in order to fool the Romulans. There's also an episode where Spock thinks he kills Kirk, but Kirk is tricking him for reasons.

The Enterprise Incident and Amok Time, two loving great episodes. On that note, from Iron Man #72:

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 27, 2016

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The Enterprise Incident and Amok Time, two loving great episodes. On that note, from Iron Man #72:

Thank god he's wearing a name tag, or no one would know what to call him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloodly posted:

There was one DS9 episode where Kira got captured and they tried to convince her she'd been a Cardassian deep-cover agent the entire time.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Might as well go the Star Trek comic route. How about the halcyon days of Sonnet Sulu?

Cangelosi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 27, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda missed the boat on this topic, but I adore the fact that it took Hal letting Bruce borrow a Power Ring to free himself from a God Chair.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Well he sat in that chair for what, a full year? Six months, at least. His leg muscles had to be atrophied as gently caress :v:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

In Bruce's defense, I think 3 of them were still alive at this time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

In Bruce's defense, I think 3 of them were still alive at this time.

They always come back, though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Cangelosi posted:

Might as well go the Star Trek comic route. How about the halcyon days of Sonnet Sulu?

Better yet, how about the utter moron days of Captain Kirk?

(no source known)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Bravo posted:

Well he sat in that chair for what, a full year? Six months, at least. His leg muscles had to be atrophied as gently caress :v:

Didn't the chair give him knowledge of everything? I'm sure he could have done some isometric exercises to keep up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
But, you see, that implies that at some point during the Chair Era he cared about what would happen post-chair.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Bravo posted:

He had a lot of sitting to make up for.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Welp, Ryan North called it:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

I'm not sure I want to know what happens after that.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood
Surfer's brilliant plan on how to face Thanos without Drax:

Silver Surfer #37

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not sure I want to know what happens after that.

It does not lead to steamy man on catgirl sex if that's what you're getting at.

Though Sulu, M'ress AND Uhura really get the shaft when it comes to comic book depictions. Here's some Gold Key adaptations.

To recap, M'ress is some sort of...erm...bluish, Sulu is black, and Uhura is white.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Checking the source material is for losers.

I kinda love the star trek animated series, if only because being animated allowed them to introduce really goofy alien crewmen and villains that live action on a shoestring budget could never allow. M'ress was particularly great because she just talked normally but sometimes said "Prrr" in a really awkward way at the end of a sentence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIlAuCkKoF8

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I kinda love the star trek animated series, if only because being animated allowed them to introduce really goofy alien crewmen and villains that live action on a shoestring budget could never allow.

That's something that Peter David's run was very good at as well (That's where the Sulu/M'ress page with the sonnet comes from), right up until Paramount stepped in and said "Quit making other characters interesting. You have to focus on the film crew only!" and all the neat characters he'd been developing quietly disappeared.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Apparently, at one point some executive told David that the Gold Key comics were everything Star Trek comics should be, and David laughed in his face before realizing he wasn't kidding.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cangelosi posted:

Though Sulu, M'ress AND Uhura really get the shaft when it comes to comic book depictions. Here's some Gold Key adaptations.

To recap, M'ress is some sort of...erm...bluish, Sulu is black, and Uhura is white.

Clearly Gamora has infiltrated the Enterprise crew on a deep-cover mission, and Sulu had to visit a back-alley plastic surgeron (or bones just got drunk) because he had to breifyl change his face because reasons. This is comics, after all.

Uhura...I got nothin'.

Edit: Wait, Yeoman Rand is filling in, and Kirk called her Uhura by force of habit!
Where's my no-prize?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But Zamora and uhura are the same woman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

But Zamora and uhura are the same woman?

RACIST.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Clearly Gamora has infiltrated the Enterprise crew on a deep-cover mission, and Sulu had to visit a back-alley plastic surgeron (or bones just got drunk) because he had to breifyl change his face because reasons. This is comics, after all.

That is not Gamora.

THAT is Gamora!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thats Gamera you turkey.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Fsmhunk posted:

Thats Gamera you turkey.

Gamera's a turtle. You're thinking of The Giant Claw

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cangelosi posted:

I think those are from the record+comic combos on Peter Pan records.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Pan_Records

e:
Follow along, thanks to the power of the internet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw6t-ZuTLy4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Cuchulain posted:

Gamera's a turtle. You're thinking of The Giant Claw

Holy poo poo. That trailer is everything.