Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm gonna channel the grogs for a moment here and say that if there's one thing that I am absolutely fine with it's the current level of graphics, because they are the absolute last thing I care about when it comes to paradox games, past a certain point.

Aesthetics, sure. Clear, well defined menus and things are very important. But when a significant amount of players play with the game in political view mode anyhow, a focus on graphics is quite frankly wasted.

This is one area where going stylized can pay dividends; you can absolutely substitute style and good design for greater graphical quality. I don't really care if the model soldier is so detailed that I can see his pores or that the trees in the mapmode I never use sway in the wind, but if things use clear, quality art to show things that are relevant to me, that I can appreciate.

"graphical upgrade" does not mean it has to be more realistic :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah but remember that Paradox plays on terrain mode for some weird reason.

This is not true, gently caress terrain mode.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

"graphical upgrade" does not mean it has to be more realistic :thumbsup:
The two are almost almost synonymous in other games? You mentioned CA and it just reminded me about looking at the Rome 2 download (So loving huge!) and then having my computer sound like a helicopter taking off even at the lowest settings during battles, all so that my identical legionaries could have blood on them and uhh, shine in the sun or whatever.

My bad if I was misreadin' ya brah.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Koramei posted:

I think EU4 will be fine through another few years of content especially if they mostly focus on flavor for the world and map rather than overhauling core systems, but the fact devs are joking about it going on forever, and that there apparently isn't any thought put into when might be a good time to end this, is a little bit worrying.
Joking? I thought Johan was on the record as saying the business plan for DLC teams is they keep making it until they stop providing a financial return. Figuratively run it into the ground.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The two are almost almost synonymous in other games? You mentioned CA and it just reminded me about looking at the Rome 2 download (So loving huge!) and then having my computer sound like a helicopter taking off even at the lowest settings during battles, all so that my identical legionaries could have blood on them and uhh, shine in the sun or whatever.

My bad if I was misreadin' ya brah.

They're not synonymous at all, it's just that most game companies push towards realism partially since it's ironically a lot easier to do than stylized stuff in a high quality. There's a lot of ways to improve the visuals in a game beyond adding more leaves to the trees.

Also when I brought up total war games it was more in reference to the map part, since that's a big thing both companies have in common. Interface too though. Going to EU4's baroque interface after Empire Total War's makes me sad.

sorry for snapping at you tho, I'm an artist so I feel kinda strongly about this but I know english isn't your native language.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Christ, it has been pages upon pages of whining. Can we talk about how much HOI IV rules? Or something?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Christ, it has been pages upon pages of whining. Can we talk about how much HOI IV rules? Or something?

Stellaris's not-100%-perfect launch burnt a lot of people tremendously hard, apparently. After all, that game is literally unplayable!

Literally!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
HOI4 got its own thread so all that's really left to talk about is where are Rome 2, Vicky 3, EU5, and CK3.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Can't literally even start the game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

And Svea Rike.

Drone posted:

Stellaris's not-stellar launch burnt a lot of people tremendously hard, apparently. After all, that game is literally unplayable!

Literally!

ftfy

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

zedprime posted:

HOI4 got its own thread so all that's really left to talk about is where are Rome 2, Vicky 3, EU5, and CK3.

Oh. I was unaware. Still doesn't make the complaining anymore palatable. I agree, I've had problems with CK2 and Stellaris and such. People just seem to be taking it so seriously.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Are you saying PC games are not serious stuff?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Oh. I was unaware. Still doesn't make the complaining anymore palatable. I agree, I've had problems with CK2 and Stellaris and such. People just seem to be taking it so seriously.

That, and there's also a higher-than-normal amount of sheer shitposting for the sake of shitposting that is de rigueur these days.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oops we forgot to make internal politics work

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't know what's planned for Vicky 3 but I hope they keep the naval arms race. Nothing like sinking the Royal Navy with a shiny, tiny fleet of ironclads.

Actually as long as I'm daydreaming, one thing I'd love to see in V3 is a greater focus on the uses of a peacetime navy. Almost every game in the world is purely focused on the navy as something that participates in fleet actions and massed combats, but I'd like to see a scenario where having a large overseas empire basically requires far-flung fleet outposts to maintain order, keep the trade lanes clear, impress local governments, and provide a fast military response to local emergencies below the level of a full scale war - some silly bastard getting his wife kidnapped by a pirate lord in Borneo, for instance.

I know there's a Gunboat Diplomacy option in V2, but it's incredibly useless.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's like the privateering/counter privateering system in EU4. If the AI actually privateered more it could be really cool :argh:

e: I really gotta say, confusing as gently caress as it is, the EU4 trade system is one of my favourite things from any game ever. It fuels expansion and conflict, but is also something really interesting to manage in peacetime. The level of abstraction in it also makes me feel like I'm running a huge empire, where I worry about modifiers and stuff that's too small to see individually rather than having eyes on every single pirate ship.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 30, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i want more factories and more trade goods and more kinds of taxation

i love victoria

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Koramei posted:

They're not synonymous at all, it's just that most game companies push towards realism partially since it's ironically a lot easier to do than stylized stuff in a high quality. There's a lot of ways to improve the visuals in a game beyond adding more leaves to the trees.

Also when I brought up total war games it was more in reference to the map part, since that's a big thing both companies have in common. Interface too though. Going to EU4's baroque interface after Empire Total War's makes me sad.

sorry for snapping at you tho, I'm an artist so I feel kinda strongly about this but I know english isn't your native language.
Ahhh, then we're in absolute agreement; one of the reasons I never get properly started in EU4 is that it just overwhelms, whereas I haven't properly played a TW game since Shogun 2 but the moment I played Warhammer: TW I got what was going on pretty quickly and I was able to work my way through things.

It's what I meant with aesthetics; that you have to listen and use graphical artists properly, use their originality rather than merely technical skill? So that you create a comfortable and approachable interface?

And no worries; I can understand this being important to you.

Also they probably do it, I mean, look at how CK1 looked was:

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

paradox_dlc.jpg

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mans posted:

it's not about being unethical, it's about trying to reinvent the wheel so much on the same game that it's simply unappealing to return. There are DLCs that are really important to buy for any kind of basic playthrough (wealth of nations, res public, art of war and common sense at the very least) and god knows what the hell you need to buy nowadays (do i need to buy the fresh new DLC to use boats like i need regarding buildings and common sense?). At this point it would be much more sensible to just make a new game since you're clearly in a mindset that is so far apart from the original idea of EU4, much like the original idea of EU4 was so far away from EU3 that it justified a new game, not another five expansions.

EU4 is a great game but it wasn't an easy sale to convince people to grab it when you "just" had to buy EU4 + WN + RP + AOW + CS, now you also need cossacks, mare nostrum, horny anime portaits that unlock the royal marriage option and gently caress knows what else. They're great sales to the train simulator autists but i don't think they entice newcomers into your game.

As said, you don't have to buy the DLC and I never felt that I needed it to get the complete experience. Quite the opposite, in fact.

But I kind of agree with the other part, when you're changing the game that much and that late in its cycle, even for the better, maybe it's better to just start with a blank slate instead of Frankensteining it. Bring on EUV. Sometimes you just want to return to a game you already know instead of having to relearn everything. Yes, a lot of that is due to laziness, but there you go.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

the DLC fabricated a casus belli against this thread

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

This is not true, gently caress terrain mode.

Johan will have your scalp for this.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I wish they'd just get on with making CKIII just so they can finally delete all the worthless data they comment out of their files so it doesn't take up space.

All those commented out titles in landed_titles.txt :smithicide:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The script files take up like 20mb....

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Groogy posted:

It takes up visual space, and it takes up space in my heart.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Groogy posted:

When modding your files it's annoying and I'm not quite sure if removing it myself is the result of all my crashes or not sometimes.

Also it sucks when your trying to keep your mod files down to a low number because Steam is stupid and has a really low size cap.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I wish they'd just get on with making CKIII just so they can finally delete all the worthless data they comment out of their files so it doesn't take up space.

All those commented out titles in landed_titles.txt :smithicide:

Groogy posted:

wait wait wait. do you guys not use some kind of source control or something? because that is about the only reason that I can think of for not removing unnecessary comments.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TeenageArchipelago posted:

wait wait wait. do you guys not use some kind of source control or something? because that is about the only reason that I can think of for not removing unnecessary comments.

I'm pretty sure they leave commented out stuff for people who won't update or something. I'm not really sure, but it's pretty stupid that you guys still have stuff like the "e_sunni" title sitting in there when those haven't been used since before Sword of Islam I believe.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Most of things left behind is because of save game compability or mod compability. And some things are just simply put forgotten.

Also if you somehow are tight for space from this, shaving off whitespace is gonna yield you more space than this.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 30, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure they leave commented out stuff for people who won't update or something. I'm not really sure, but it's pretty stupid that you guys still have stuff like the "e_sunni" title sitting in there when those haven't been used since before Sword of Islam I believe.

Groogy posted:

Most of things left behind is because of save game compability or mod compability. And some things are just simply put forgotten.

Also if you somehow are tight for space from this, shaving off whitespace is gonna yield you more space than this.

fair enough

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

double nine posted:

Johan will have your scalp for this.

We got away with the unified HoI IV mapmode, I think we are safe.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why is terrain mapmode the default, then? In every single Paradox game I immediately switch to political view on entering the game.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

If U Don't Give Us the DLC for Free I'm going to Paradoxx Johan

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Gort posted:

Why is terrain mapmode the default, then? In every single Paradox game I immediately switch to political view on entering the game.

I'm guessing that's how the Europa Universalis map in the boardgame looked so it was the first mapmode implemented, and it just kinda stuck around.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I've said it before but I just think it was weird to not give Stellaris a little more time in the oven when Pdox was launching a major title a month later. Most of what people complained about would've probably been fixed if it got a Q4 release IMO.

I feel like people got way too over invested in it though. Like it's cool a good chunk of the dev team posts here but if they can endure code reviews they can ensure shitposting, and if you hated it $40 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and if it is such a colossal dent in your disposable income you should probably wait for a sale or consider a cheaper hobby.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DStecks posted:

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.

I was thinking the same thing. If Stellaris is their Master of Orion, I want to see their Master of Magic.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've said it before but I just think it was weird to not give Stellaris a little more time in the oven when Pdox was launching a major title a month later. Most of what people complained about would've probably been fixed if it got a Q4 release IMO.

I feel like people got way too over invested in it though. Like it's cool a good chunk of the dev team posts here but if they can endure code reviews they can ensure shitposting, and if you hated it $40 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and if it is such a colossal dent in your disposable income you should probably wait for a sale or consider a cheaper hobby.

Ye my thoughts exactly. It's very odd to me that Stellaris wasn't given more time with HoI about to drop and the possibility of cannibalizing their own sales, especially since it clearly wasn't all the way done.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

It didn't though. There's a huge number of ideologies and gov type combos, but just like EU4 there's only a handful of AI types so instead of whatever sci fi race always acting a certain way, you just see Fanatical Purifier and you know exactly how they will act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TBH I don't want to see fantasy Paradox since it would be really similar to their historicals