Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Syncopation is not new in music at all and actually common
Don't encourage popcorn and his one trick pony act

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://popcorn.gunsha.com/little%20by%20little%20syncopated.mp3 I like this version.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Had a listen to the basement version of Little by Little. Never noticed the funky little drum parts. Very cool.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

What the hell is syncopation?

Otis Reddit posted:

Dub step style (etc) durms or bass.

Lol

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mate

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone mash-up The Numbers with Unsustainable by Muse.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Someone mash-up The Numbers with Unsustainable by Muse.

I'm on it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Sorry, seems I was wrong. From what I can tell, it's a different thing, like lots of syncopation-ed vocals have the word 'and' in them, I think. Anyway, it seems that it's actually NOT a Radiohead-only style of music. :niggly:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Yeah there are quite a few syncopationed bands and songs out there nowadays if you're into dubstep drums

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not sure wtf is going on here but "syncopation" essentially just means having a part that is (usually temporarily) out of rhythm with the piece of music it is in. it can certainly be found in dubstep but it can also be found in pretty much every genre of music

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HD DAD posted:

Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

It's all I ever hear in that song.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
The Rolling Stones Use it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My favorite member of the band is Ed.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Someone please post an example

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone else find themselves starting listening to the album from Decks Dark?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Anaranjado posted:

My favorite member of the band is Ed.

Ed is the goddamn champion of wobbly weird noises.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ICHIBAHN posted:

Someone please post an example

Beethoven, motherfuckers

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

I still don't skip any songs on the album when I listen to it in full (though the first minute of tinker tailor tempts me) but I have gone to Decks Dark for more one off plays than any of the other tracks.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 30, 2016

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I tend to skip the first two tracks because I listened to them roughly a million times in the week before the album came out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I always start at the beginning.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

robodex posted:

I tend to skip the first two tracks because I listened to them roughly a million times in the week before the album came out

Yeah plus I don't think burn the witch is a great opener, nor do I like the contrast in tones between that and daydreaming. I skip to Decks Dark often & listen to it on its own often. It takes me back to TKOL. Guess I loved that album more than I thought. I do think Ful Stop is a bit of a handbrake. Not really into that. Particularly at that point in the record.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I am not sure wtf is going on here but "syncopation" essentially just means having a part that is (usually temporarily) out of rhythm with the piece of music it is in. it can certainly be found in dubstep but it can also be found in pretty much every genre of music

Apparently user "Otis Reddit" was not being serious, but I would like to say, about Little by Little, is that the live version is dope as hell because of the percussion, Colin's bassline and Thom's changes to the lead during the chorus. it's dope as hell.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
From Deck Darks onward the album has an airy tone to itself that you don't really hear in Burn the Witch and Daydreaming.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mutant Standard posted:

From Deck Darks onward the album has an airy tone to itself that you don't really hear in Burn the Witch and Daydreaming.

Yes. Perfectly worded! There's an air of claustrophobia in the first two songs, BTW particularly.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yes. Perfectly worded! There's an air of claustrophobia in the first two songs, BTW particularly.

That's why I like the transition from Daydreaming to Decks Dark though! There's that dark rolling intensity at the end of the first song, and the slow fade, and then suddenly you surface into that airiness and warmth, it's a terrific moment.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

Actually I do this just about every time for some reason. I don't know if it's because of

robodex posted:

but in a way I think the album is somehow even better when you get rid of the first two tracks even though those tracks themselves are good.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I listened to the Google Play "put up too early" tracklist and it works quite well

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Since people seem to be confused: syncopation is not at all unusual. It's just when some element in a song (a kick drum, the notes in a bassline, a melody, whatever) fall between the normal beats of a song, instead of exactly on the beat. It's in ten billion zillion pieces of music.

The thing Radiohead do repeatedly is hide the syncopation, so you think the stuff is falling on one beat, but actually you're hearing the beat wrong. They do it on Identikit, for example; they cut off the first beat of the drum track, so for the first few bars of the song, you're feeling it "wrong". It's intentionally disorienting and cool as gently caress and yes, as Zodiac points out, I do never stop going on about it, but, well, since people seem to be asking...

edit: here is the most notorious example, the "correct" way to hear Videotape (ie how the band hears it but no one else): http://popcorn.gunsha.com/videotape%20syncopated.mp3

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2016

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Popcorn posted:

Since people seem to be confused: syncopation is not at all unusual. It's just when some element in a song (a kick drum, the notes in a bassline, a melody, whatever) fall between the normal beats of a song, instead of exactly on the beat. It's in ten billion zillion pieces of music.

The thing Radiohead do repeatedly is hide the syncopation, so you think the stuff is falling on one beat, but actually you're hearing the beat wrong. They do it on Identikit, for example; they cut off the first beat of the drum track, so for the first few bars of the song, you're feeling it "wrong". It's intentionally disorienting and cool as gently caress and yes, as Zodiac points out, I do never stop going on about it, but, well, since people seem to be asking...

edit: here is the most notorious example, the "correct" way to hear Videotape (ie how the band hears it but no one else): http://popcorn.gunsha.com/videotape%20syncopated.mp3
Yeah you're right nobody else ever hears it that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3GGREPj-c#t=2m30s

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 31, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Volte posted:

Yeah you're right nobody else ever hears it that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3GGREPj-c#t=2m30s

I guess this is some sort of clever irony post, but this is the version of the song they abandoned; the point is they buried the syncopation on the record.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I always kinda thought they just ditched the syncopation for the record. Instead of being on the ee of one it's just on the one, the way you hear it initially in either version.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 31, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Luckily, they left the song very melodied and harmonied, which very few bands do anymore... you pretty much only hear it in dubstep nowadays

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Popcorn posted:

That is actually kind of nifty. Then when the drums are actually introduced near the end of the song it throws you off on the beat.

Edit: Quoted wrong post.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 31, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Luckily, they left the song very melodied and harmonied, which very few bands do anymore... you pretty much only hear it in dubstep nowadays

Seriously. Artists are so loving lazy right now, dubstep aside.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I always kinda thought they just ditched the syncopation for the record. Instead of being on the ee of one it's just on the one, the way you hear it initially in either version.

It's all philosophical, of course, but...

I'd argue that the syncopation is still there on the record. The main clue is the 909 snare that enters in the final bars, on the backbeat.

When they play it live (after the record came out I mean), the band also still feels it syncopated. For example, take the Feet East performance; Thom has trouble feeling the syncopated beat. He asks Jonny to turn the drum machine hi-hats on so he can find it again. In Thom's words: "Temporary loss of information.”

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change? There's nothing wrong with it per se, but once I noticed that I couldn't stop being bothered by it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change? There's nothing wrong with it per se, but once I noticed that I couldn't stop being bothered by it.

No, we decided that Sea Change is derivative of other albums made 30 years before it, and that The Numbers is probably the best track on AMSP.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change?

This is highly offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

It reminds me a lot of a Beatles song, particularly the the end with what sounds like people laughing in the background.