Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

There's not a ton of fresh water in many places in California. Certainly sparingly few that are reliable.

Depends where in Califirnia. Plenty in the Sierra Nevada and likely spots north like Shasta/Trinity

South is more deserty indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Levitate posted:

Depends where in Califirnia. Plenty in the Sierra Nevada and likely spots north like Shasta/Trinity

South is more deserty indeed

Yep. But if you're around Shasta you're basically in Oregon.

(I'm from LA, so a lot of the camping I do is carrying water in. It's heavy.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You one liter water carrier people. How much are you drinking in a day? Here in Texas during the summer it is suggested you carry 1 gallon of water per person per day but that seems like madness to hike with. I drink a ton of water so I could easily see myself going through 1L in a short amount of time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband and I each carry two one litre bottles, one for drinking and one for treating. Water is abundant here and it's uncommon to go more than a couple kilometers without encountering a stream or lake. It's just incredibly cold glacial runoff so treatment tablets take a long time to work confidently. I try and make sure I drink minimum of 2 litre per day, sometimes 4 if it's really hot and steep and I've been pouring buckets of sweat.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
On longish day hikes I typically drink 2-3 liters a day, carrying a liter extra.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Whoever recommended fishing hoodies a page or 3 ago, I love you. I got a Columbia Terminal Tackle hoodie from amazon for $25 in white and it's instantly my favorite garment I own. The sun is instantly less hot with it on, and even the smallest amount of airflow from just moving around cools me down noticeably. I'm a pasty white scottish/nordic person and I burn from the light in the fridge, and this will probably save my life.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Can you link it? I would be curious, it sounds cool

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I think he's talking about http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Terminal-Tackle-Hoodie-Nightshade/dp/B00DNNWNT2/ref=cm_wl_huc_item, looks nice.

I picked up an Osprey Talon 22 pack and a Patagonia Sahara long sleeve during the REI sale. This Colorado trip needs to get here before I spend more on things I don't REALLY need.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Dutymode posted:

I picked up an Osprey Talon 22 pack

:hfive:

Pro choice--I recently picked one up for myself as well!

Only thing I don't like is the water bottle side pockets aren't very deep, I had a small bottle pop out while jogging on a trail recently, but otherwise it's a fantastic pack, and I especially love the mesh outer pocket and breathable shoulder straps

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SaltLick posted:

You one liter water carrier people. How much are you drinking in a day? Here in Texas during the summer it is suggested you carry 1 gallon of water per person per day but that seems like madness to hike with. I drink a ton of water so I could easily see myself going through 1L in a short amount of time.

I don't really keep track, depends on how far I'm going I guess. 2-4 liters while hiking depending? Though like I said, I usually carry 2 liters and not 1.

Again, most of my experience is hiking in the mountains where you have running water mostly year around and big lakes that don't dry up, so it's rare that you have a stretch that is lacking in water relatively nearby. The couple of times I've backpacked in the Grand Canyon I think I carried 3 liters and you have to have a good idea of where you can fill up and if you have enough water.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hfive:

Pro choice--I recently picked one up for myself as well!

Only thing I don't like is the water bottle side pockets aren't very deep, I had a small bottle pop out while jogging on a trail recently, but otherwise it's a fantastic pack, and I especially love the mesh outer pocket and breathable shoulder straps

It's my first real hiking pack. The REI guy suggested it because of the hip belt. I walked around the store with about 20 lbs in there for a half hour or so. The hip belt changes the way you carry the load compared to a book bag way more than I expected, and it's way more breathable both under the shoulder straps and on my back. Feels like Christmas.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I booked 5 nights in Mt. Robson Provincial Park in August! Third time back, definitely not the last.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Anyone have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer? Meh.com has the V2222 for $27 shipped, looks like a decent dehydrator companion.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I am finding out the hard way it's still a little early in the year to hike a 14k mountain in Colorado in running shoes. Can snowshoes be used with cross trainers, and are there any recommended by this thread?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Might be tough to get get a firm lock on the heel, and the shoe may move around easier due to not being more firmly attached to your foot via the ankle lacing. Depends on the binding, really, and the weight of the snow shoe.

Not impossible, but definitely not the best practice.

I only own one pair of snowshoes, MSR lighting ascents, but they're pretty beefy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 2, 2016

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
You might have better luck with those mini showshoes for trail runners.

The ones I've seen don't look significantly different than regular snowshoes though, just smaller and lighter.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I've started hiking hills either side of the valley I live in, and bought a cheap pair of shoes from what I guess is our equivalent of WalMart. Because there is at least a 2km walk (sometimes 6km or so) from home to the trail head, I've started to wear through the bottom.
If I drop $$$ on decent boots, is wearing them on concrete/asphalt going to destroy the sole or is it more likely due to the lovely construction material in the cheap shoes?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

mirthdefect posted:

I've started hiking hills either side of the valley I live in, and bought a cheap pair of shoes from what I guess is our equivalent of WalMart. Because there is at least a 2km walk (sometimes 6km or so) from home to the trail head, I've started to wear through the bottom.
If I drop $$$ on decent boots, is wearing them on concrete/asphalt going to destroy the sole or is it more likely due to the lovely construction material in the cheap shoes?

I bought this pair of Lowa Renegades at REI back in the spring of 2012. I wear them 5+ days per week at work, walking mostly on hard floors and concrete. I also hike in them. 4+ years on, they are starting to show some wear in the soles, but are still very solid and water-resistant.

Buy a quality pair of boots and they will last you.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Hungryjack posted:

Buy a quality pair of boots and they will last you.

This.

Now granted, there are some terrains that will definitely wear out your boots faster, but you make it sound like your Valley might be kinda nice if the worst you have to contend with is concrete and asphalt.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mirthdefect posted:

Honestly it's probably just the construction and materials of really cheap shoes. I'm not sure how extreme your terrain is but it doesn't sound like you need anything super robust. If you still wanted a shoe, look at some trail runners or a low cut boot. Merrell moabs might be right up your alley. They're around $80-100, comfortable out of the box, have a great long lasting sole and come in low or mid height.

Regardless of what you choose, consider vibram soles. Their rubber compound grips very well and lasts a long time. You can find them on nearly any type of shoe or boot from most brands.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of boot chat, has anyone ever sent in a pair of Danner boots to get the full reconditioning? I know the boots definitely need a new sole, and are beat up pretty much everywhere else too. Not sure what level of their service they would require but the most expensive service option is $210 and at that point I could just spend another $90 and get a brand new pair.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Oh yeah they're definitely cheap POS shoes, it's just a soft rubber sole as far as I can tell. I normally wear chucks, so needed something a little more robust as a temporary gap-filler while I decided if I wanted to keep it up. Likewise, I didn't want to spend a lot on boots if they'd take a thrashing actually getting anywhere interesting.

Thanks for your help, time to go shopping!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I used to wear mid range hiking boots (Merrill, NF, brands like that) at work walking on concreat and climbing around all day and almost every pair would show major tread wear and generally start to fall apart after a year. I have a buddy who more or less hikes for work and he burns through similar boots in about the same time, but admittedly he walks a ton of miles.

Right now I am looking to buy either the Lowa Renegade or the dumb Arcteryx boots for this fall/winter. Leaning towards the Arcteryx ones due to their warranty, as most of my boots have died due to upper delaminating rather then total tread failure. In any case spending that much on boots is stressing me out.

This summer I am going to adopt a "feet wet, so what" approach and see how that does for me.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I wear the Renegade. My wife wears the Renegade. My next boots will be Renegades.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
#renegadenation

But yeah, there was a hiking goon who worked in Australia as a hiking guide, and he'd blow through very nice boots every 6 months or so, he said.

Granted, that's probably hiking 15 miles a day, but yeah. It does happen. If you're a normal hiker though, you'll be fine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Double check that the arc boots are actually comfy to walk in. I couldn't stand the models I've tried.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I've had my Lowa Banffs for the better part of a decade and they're still going strong. Granted, that's once every month of two on a backpacking trip, buy they've racked up a ton of miles.

If your boots are delaminating, have you ever tried shoe goo? It's like rubber cement for your shoes, and it's often stronger than the factory adhesive I've got some merrell moabs it's worked great on.

E: a lot of shoes and boots will die after a decade anyways because the foam structure inside degrades or disintegrates.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Double check that the arc boots are actually comfy to walk in. I couldn't stand the models I've tried.

Yea, there is a store in DC that I will swing by and try them on. The have a decent return policy in anycase.

OSU_Matthew posted:

If your boots are delaminating, have you ever tried shoe goo? It's like rubber cement for your shoes, and it's often stronger than the factory adhesive I've got some merrell moabs it's worked great on.

I used to work as a theatrical carpenter and props guy, I have used most every adhesive out there to fix shoes. Shoe Goo works well, but I have never had it buy me more then a few months.

What I really want are mid-calf waterproof socks that are even a little breathable. I have one pair that are great but the brand is gone from amazon and I never really found any that were well reviewed.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Right now, the 32 degree cooling shirts from Costco are on sale for $5. They also have moisture wicking boxer briefs which I got because I hate swamp crotch.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I bought a couple things over the weekend that just arrived today, namely a ULA circuit and Wildhorn Litespeed hammock straps, so I celebrated by loaded up my stuff and going to a nearby trail for a couple hours. I don't have a whole lot to say about the circuit that hasn't been said, but goddamn the hammock straps were super awesome. My old straps were just 10' cords that took a few minutes of fandangling to make comfortable. The Litespeeds take about 30 seconds by comparison, so setting up is nowhere near the pain in the rear end it used to be. They're intended for gathered end hammocks, but the loops were long enough for my channeled end. AAA+ would buy again :shepspends:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

LivesInGrey posted:

Right now, the 32 degree cooling shirts from Costco are on sale for $5. They also have moisture wicking boxer briefs which I got because I hate swamp crotch.

+1 on those shirts. I was really surprised with how comfortable they are. They're really soft like an old cotton tee. I'm buying more next time we're there.

I need to try the underwear. They might be a cheaper alternative to exofficio which I love.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

+1 on those shirts. I was really surprised with how comfortable they are. They're really soft like an old cotton tee. I'm buying more next time we're there.

I need to try the underwear. They might be a cheaper alternative to exofficio which I love.

There's an even cheaper alternative, and it's very liberating indeed

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Double post from the boots thread: I'm looking for advice on sizing Hanwag hiking boots, in particular the Grünten from their double stitch (Norwegian welt) range. There is very little I've found online as they don't seem to have much traction outside of the EU. I have seen suggestions they run small, but would really appreciate any other input.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I own a pair of Hanwag Tatra Wide GTX's, and they're the same size as most of my other shoes. They fit a bit snug at the top of the last when I'm wearing thick hiking socks, but not enough to cause pain. When wearing regular socks they're just about perfect fit. So I guess if you have don't have a high arching foot, you'll be fine.

E: just remembered, the shoe salesman told me they always advise for the wide version in Hanwags as the regular model can be a bit narrow.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Recently moved from Florida to Colorado, trying to get out and about more. Went to Mt. Evans this morning and met a new friend.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 5, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

LivesInGrey posted:

The 32 degree stuff is awesome and a great alternative to 40 dollar REI shirts. Costco had some merino hiking socks a while back that people said were amazing.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

cheese posted:

The 32 degree stuff is awesome and a great alternative to 40 dollar REI shirts. Costco had some merino hiking socks a while back that people said were amazing.

Yep. 32 degrees warm shirts from Costco were very cheap and worked as advertised. Their Kirklands Merino blend hiking socks cost $12 and that gets you four pairs. And despite wearing a pair basically every day, I've never worn out any of them. Actually, if I ever did, I'd probably take them back to Costco for a refund because they have a lifetime warranty.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

On Saturday the husband and I hiked up an unnamed small peak that rarely sees any action because there are bigger ones that are easier to get up nearby. I've seen it referred to Biffy Peak, McConnell Point, and the Cow Pie online, but it has no official name or trail. We started from the little backcountry campground we were staying at and basically bushwhacked straight up to the peak above us. There's a small equipment shack built near the summit and no one seems to know why, it's purpose appears to be lost to history.

There was a very faint and steep trail headed down the opposite side of the peak, but with the number of torso sized spiderwebs crossing over it, I don't think it sees many people. It does meet up with a well-used mountain-biking trail half way down. It was fun being the only people to go up there on a beautiful Saturday.

Also we had a fantastic couple of nights, clear and no moon. I just bought a new lens for night photos too! Even though this time of year it never actually gets dark, we have a few hours of astronomical twilight and 16.5 hour days.

The ISS even flew over.

That's our tent underneath the Big and Little Dippers. I took that looking NE at 3 am and the twilight on the horizon is really obvious. The orange glow illuminating Barrier Mountain in the previous picture is from the Calgary city lights, of course.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Picnic Princess posted:

On Saturday the husband and I hiked up an unnamed small peak that rarely sees any action because there are bigger ones that are easier to get up nearby. I've seen it referred to Biffy Peak, McConnell Point, and the Cow Pie online, but it has no official name or trail. We started from the little backcountry campground we were staying at and basically bushwhacked straight up to the peak above us. There's a small equipment shack built near the summit and no one seems to know why, it's purpose appears to be lost to history.

There was a very faint and steep trail headed down the opposite side of the peak, but with the number of torso sized spiderwebs crossing over it, I don't think it sees many people. It does meet up with a well-used mountain-biking trail half way down. It was fun being the only people to go up there on a beautiful Saturday.
Is that Banff or Canmore in the distance? I really need to go to Alberta :(

I don't know what it is, and I've never been there, but there is something unique about your shots of that area that immediately identify them. Something about the trees/rocks has this look that is really different than the Sierras or Rockies.

cheese fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

cheese posted:

Is that Banff or Canmore in the distance? I really need to go to Alberta :(

I don't know what it is, and I've never been there, but there is something unique about your shots of that area that immediately identify them. Something about the trees/rocks has this look that is really different than the Sierras or Rockies.

Yeah, Canmore is juuuuust out of view behind Grotto Mountain, all the stuff below are the cement plants and Exshaw.

Every major mountain range has their own unique look, I can usually tell if it's Canada, or the Alps, or Patagonia, New Zealand, etc. They all look very different and distinct. It can get distracting in movies though, I was watching Wolverine: Origins that was supposed to take place in Canada but all the tree ferns gave away that it was actually filmed in New Zealand, which I had just come back from less than a month earlier. Or I recognize the mountains by name, like in Brokeback Mountain or The Revenant which had a lot of scenes filmed in Kananaskis. We were watching some French movie and the character went to visit someone in the Alps and the scene cut to Mt. Robson from Berg Lake. My husband and I started laughing even though it was supposed to be a very serious scene.