Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a
Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a
Forgotten spot in the Caribbean by providence
Impoverished, in squalor
Grow up to be a hero and a scholar?

Welcome to Hamilton Mafia, a game for 13 players.

This is a mostly closed setup, but open flavour. A list of the historical figures in this game is below. However, roles and alignment have been randomly assigned. There is no guarantee that Burr or Maria Reynolds are scum or that Hamilton is town, so don't go making any flavour arguments for anything or I will laugh at you. Here is the list of characters (in order of appearance)

• Aaron Burr
  • Alexander Hamilton
  • John Laurens
  • Marquis de Lafayette
  • Hercules Mulligan
  • Eliza Schuyler
  • Angelica Schuyler
  • King George III
  • George Washington
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • James Madison
  • Philip Hamilton
  • Maria Reynolds

In addition, historical figures that are played by the same actor will be in unconfirmed masonries with each other, even if they are scum together. There will be three unconfirmed masonries:

• Daveed Diggs Masonry - Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson
  • Oak Masonry - Hercules Mulligan and James Madison
  • Anthony Ramos Masonry - John Laurens and Philip Hamilton

A note: this game is open to anyone who wants to play, but I highly, highly recommend that you do not play unless you know the musical. There will be day events that will give advantages based on knowing things about the musical. You will be at a pretty significant disadvantge if you do not know it, also I will like you a lot less.

Standard rules apply, I'll add these in later.

Players
  1. Absurd Revolver
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. CCKeane
  4. dongsbot 9000
  5. Jimson
  6. Kashuno
  7. Li Dawny
  8. Meinberg
  9. MMM Whatchya Say
  10. Nth Doctor
  11. PBS Newshour
  12. SirSamVimes
  13. tpink

Asiina fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I AM NOT GOING TO MISS MY SLOT

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
when you knock me down i GET THE gently caress BACK UP AGAIN

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So what'd I miss?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Look around, look around, at how lucky we are to be alive right now!

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Hamilton is my favorite, put me in please! (The other game closed.)

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

When I meet Thomas Jefferson, I'ma compel him to include women in the sequel!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Even if this fills up today, I don't fly out until tomorrow, so probably won't start until Wednesday even though everything is written.

In the meantime we can all fangirl out about the musical and how much we all love Lin because he's amazing and I'm basically a stalker at this point.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm not standing still, I'm lying in wait.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
i'm not giving away my shot

I don't really like hamilton but i'll play anyways

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
this game will force me to actually listen to the whole recording

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

Even if this fills up today, I don't fly out until tomorrow, so probably won't start until Wednesday even though everything is written.

In the meantime we can all fangirl out about the musical and how much we all love Lin because he's amazing and I'm basically a stalker at this point.

he got mark zuckerburg to tell justin mcelroy he was doing a great job

while you are stalking lin he is stalking the mcelroy brothers

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COSPHLq8y98

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

this game will force me to actually listen to the whole recording

I'll save you some time, the best songs are Aaron Burr's storyline through the following songs: Wait for it, Dear Theodosia, The Room Where it Happens, The Election of 1800, Your Obedient Servent and finally, The World Was Wide Enough.

Also, Burn is very good, and so is Satisfied.

E: I suppose Aaron Burr, Sir is actually essential to the Burr storyline but that's a bit of an exposition song

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Did you see clipping. released acapellas of their entire last album?

It's soooo good.

http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/clppng-acapellas

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have the bootleg with fixed audio i am a monster

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also the only true way to listen to the cast recording is to listen to the entire thing in one go, while reading the lyrics along with it.

It's truly a story and individual songs will never do it justice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

i have the bootleg with fixed audio i am a monster

me 2 don't tell Lin he'll be so mad :(

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I did not. Cool.

I'm glad Clipping exists so that I don't have to listen Death Grips.

Fun fact. I had been listening to Clipping for years before I heard Hamilton and it still took me like 6 months before I realized Daveed Diggs was in both.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you that you're scum
Da da da dat DA DIE ya scum

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope now that lin is probably going to become a super duper superstar instead of just a superstar and the toast of new york he makes MBMBaM famous as well so they could get a tv show or something

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Another note: The city I live in is also called Hamilton and I regularly have to explain to locals that the musical is not about us.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSyy3dP4a8M

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What do you think the worst Hamilton line is? I think it's definitely Aaron Burr saying "I'll keep all my plans close to my chest" basically just telling about his character after an entire act of showing it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I did not. Cool.

I'm glad Clipping exists so that I don't have to listen Death Grips.

Fun fact. I had been listening to Clipping for years before I heard Hamilton and it still took me like 6 months before I realized Daveed Diggs was in both.

In addition to my love for Lin, I also love Daveed Diggs. I actually like the acapella versions of the clipping. songs though rather than the full versions, cause it has a lot of sorta unnatural noises that I'm sure works for them, but I find takes away from how good the lyrics are. I essentially just like to listen to Daveed rap really fast.

PBS Newshour posted:

i hope now that lin is probably going to become a super duper superstar instead of just a superstar and the toast of new york he makes MBMBaM famous as well so they could get a tv show or something

He's one away from an EGOT and he's writing the songs for the new Pixar movie that comes out in November, so really it's extremely possible he gets it this year.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

In addition to my love for Lin, I also love Daveed Diggs.

Daveed Diggs is probably one of the most talented men I'm currently aware of. Lin as well, but I feel like people are already aware of that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What do you think the worst Hamilton line is? I think it's definitely Aaron Burr saying "I'll keep all my plans close to my chest" basically just telling about his character after an entire act of showing it.

"You can keep seeing my whore wife if the price is right. If not I'm telling your wife."

It's super clunky.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Angelica in Satisfied. "I know she'll be happy as his bride, and I know he will never be satisfied."

Like god drat woman setting your sister up with a man who will never truly love her is pretty hosed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Something about Lin tricks you brain into forgetting he is some sort of talented and charismatic superhuman so that he always just seems like a normal guy which makes his rise to fame really enjoyable, because its like "woo score 1 for the normies" except he is some sort of monster

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also "Now for a strong central democracy. If not then I'll be Socrates throwing verbal rocks at these mediocrities."

It's an interesting line, but it just never feels right to say. I can do all of Guns and Ships and the rant from We Know without a second thought, but I still struggle to get that right.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

Something about Lin tricks you brain into forgetting he is some sort of talented and charismatic superhuman so that he always just seems like a normal guy which makes his rise to fame really enjoyable, because its like "woo score 1 for the normies" except he is some sort of monster

I think it's because he's just so enthusiastic about everything. He's enjoyment of life is contagious. Also he posts dumb memes on twitter every day. He's a regular guy who also happens to be a complete genius.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also sneak preview for the game: I hope you know Guns and Ships.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If Hamilton isn't a Beloved Prince idk what you're doing

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kashuno posted:

somebody tells me "you'd better hide"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I think Guns and Ships is overrated, my love of Daveed aside.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
In

I'm jonesing man oh god am I in.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's not the greatest song, but it's a whole lot of fun to sing. I put it in the same league as Farmer Refuted and We Know. Super necessary to the plot? Nah (We Know is, but could be put in somewhere else if need be). A whole lot of fun to sing once you know the words. Hells yeah.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Like objectively the best song is My Shot, but also I think it depends what kind of person you are whether My Shot or Wait For It resonates with you more. I like Wait For It as a song, but it doesn't really hit me like some other people.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

The setup was made independently of the characters and then RNG'd. Unlike my last game I wanted to make sure the actual mafia game was balanced rather than trying to cater to flavour while sacrificing the actual game. This is a flavour heavy game, but it will still be a very typical mafia game outside of that. Even the day events, which have rewards, are balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
we've had this discussion and the best song is actually satisfied

• Locked thread