Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SomethingJones posted:

A support team for a $100 million company telling people, IN WRITING that a chargeback is fraudulent (and we've seen those emails, they've been posted here) is thoroughly disgusting. Your bank offering you the protection of a chargeback (in the EU, I don't know how this works in the US) is an absolute cornerstone of consumer protection. People do chargebacks all the time, for goods not received or goods misprepresented.

I don't understand this concept of 'wrong', perhaps you can describe it in terms i understand? Perhaps phrase it like, "It's like that scene from..."

You see I'm using the Crobbert's Creative Vision Model for all my cognitive processes pertaining to fraud

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I was so close to plopping down the $300 they wanted to let me go swim with them, but the options were either scuba dive or stay at the surface, both of which are dumb and bad.

I mean I get that the liability of letting someone freedive in there would be insane, but come on. The thing's only like 35 feet deep.

Super amateur retard snorkel story. I've snorkeled a pretty fair amount, mostly in Hawaii and Mexico. Probably the coolest was off my brother in laws boat off the coast of Lanai. Second coolest was probably off Molokai when you get way out to the edge and you can see the sea floor drop away into obscurity, and some big and sometimes scary fishies.

But I went recently off the Florida Keys. I was a bit surprised by the lack of good off the beach snorkeling but probably more surprised by the lack of actual beaches. Anyway, we paid some money to get on a boat full of other idiots and get hauled 6 miles offshore to snorkel. I get in and I'm snorkeling around and I'm kind of freaking out. Like I can't get enough air. I probably would have blamed it on the fact that I was snorkeling off a boat and there wasn't anything to "stand up on" within miles, but I'd done that before, so I didn't think that was it. So I paddle back to the boat and clamber aboard and I'm trying to figure it out. Like has my cardiovascular performance really just gone to poo poo or something? Do I have lung cancer? Have I just become a massive puss and I'm having an anxiety attack or something?

So I'm not gonna figure it out sitting on the boat, so I get back in the water and start swimming around again. And I figured it out fairly rapidly. They force you to wear one of those inflatable life vests and they tell you that if you've snorkeled before just don't inflate it, and even roll it up to make sure you get the existing air out of it. Which I did. But not enough, apparently. It had enough air in it that it was riding up against my throat. It probably wasn't actually cutting off my air supply by more than 5-10% or so, but it was apparently enough that my brain was saying "SOMETHING IS loving WRONG." I spent the next two hours tugging the thing down periodically and everything was great. Really good snorkeling, in my limited opinion.

The other funny part of the story is that this was a good sized boat but the only ladder into it was in the middle of the back. And there were big swim steps on either side of it, so you climb halfway up the ladder and flop onto a swim step were you can take your fins off and then climb up the rest of the way. So I look and no one is on the steps and no one is on the ladder, and I'm doing precisely that and as I flop my rear end onto the swim step I land on a 70 year old woman. She shrieked. She had apparently gotten tired and thought that clinging onto the swimstep right next to the ladder was a good idea. Thank god I didn't snap her brittle toothpick arm.

Bonus story: There are still places where you can do stuff that seems kind of insane from a liability standpoint. Lava Beds National Monument being the first one that comes to my mind. There are at the very least dozens of miles of lava tubes you could get lost in and/or kill yourself in, and they give you unfettered and unguided access to all of them as long as you pay 10 bucks at the gate. It's the way things should be, but it's surprising that in some places at least it's still the way things are.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Thing that always bothers me about videos like that.

"My pathetic ex-boyfriend"

Doesn't that make the poster even MORE pathetic for having dated this person?

Moved to E/N

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
haven't heard from Derek in a while I hope those track suit people didn't 'move him to the concern forum'

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
PC gaming show at E3 this year

SQ42 may already be at the final testing stage

Anything new is hard to show off

A rare appearance from Cymelion

E3 has no relevance

CIG doesn't need E3

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've only watched a minute of this and it can't be real.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

FrankieGoes posted:

Watch Derek start a loving lawsuit

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

haven't heard from Derek in a while I hope those track suit people didn't 'move him to the concern forum'

I think he's busy fighting the good fight at the Frontier forums.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

:anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime::anime:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Super amateur retard snorkel story. I've snorkeled a pretty fair amount, mostly in Hawaii and Mexico. Probably the coolest was off my brother in laws boat off the coast of Lanai. Second coolest was probably off Molokai when you get way out to the edge and you can see the sea floor drop away into obscurity, and some big and sometimes scary fishies.

But I went recently off the Florida Keys. I was a bit surprised by the lack of good off the beach snorkeling but probably more surprised by the lack of actual beaches. Anyway, we paid some money to get on a boat full of other idiots and get hauled 6 miles offshore to snorkel. I get in and I'm snorkeling around and I'm kind of freaking out. Like I can't get enough air. I probably would have blamed it on the fact that I was snorkeling off a boat and there wasn't anything to "stand up on" within miles, but I'd done that before, so I didn't think that was it. So I paddle back to the boat and clamber aboard and I'm trying to figure it out. Like has my cardiovascular performance really just gone to poo poo or something? Do I have lung cancer? Have I just become a massive puss and I'm having an anxiety attack or something?

So I'm not gonna figure it out sitting on the boat, so I get back in the water and start swimming around again. And I figured it out fairly rapidly. They force you to wear one of those inflatable life vests and they tell you that if you've snorkeled before just don't inflate it, and even roll it up to make sure you get the existing air out of it. Which I did. But not enough, apparently. It had enough air in it that it was riding up against my throat. It probably wasn't actually cutting off my air supply by more than 5-10% or so, but it was apparently enough that my brain was saying "SOMETHING IS loving WRONG." I spent the next two hours tugging the thing down periodically and everything was great. Really good snorkeling, in my limited opinion.

The other funny part of the story is that this was a good sized boat but the only ladder into it was in the middle of the back. And there were big swim steps on either side of it, so you climb halfway up the ladder and flop onto a swim step were you can take your fins off and then climb up the rest of the way. So I look and no one is on the steps and no one is on the ladder, and I'm doing precisely that and as I flop my rear end onto the swim step I land on a 70 year old woman. She shrieked. She had apparently gotten tired and thought that clinging onto the swimstep right next to the ladder was a good idea. Thank god I didn't snap her brittle toothpick arm.

Bonus story: There are still places where you can do stuff that seems kind of insane from a liability standpoint. Lava Beds National Monument being the first one that comes to my mind. There are at the very least dozens of miles of lava tubes you could get lost in and/or kill yourself in, and they give you unfettered and unguided access to all of them as long as you pay 10 bucks at the gate. It's the way things should be, but it's surprising that in some places at least it's still the way things are.

Yeah the keys are kind of weird, they stay so shallow so far out that there really isn't a lot of great places to shore-dive from. There are some really cool places to go if you're willing to pay to get on a boat though.

also, :laffo: about the life vest thing. If it makes you feel any better, one time I forgot to take the protective film off my mask before I went diving and spent about half the day being really pissed that my brand new hundred dollar mask had a bunch of visual imperfections in the lens.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

FrankieGoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC-e5vs6NeY this one is real

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Well, I don't assume the "let's sell ship DLCs" notion was solely Sandi's invention. Million Mile High Club with no female NPCs? That sounds pretty Sandi-ish, as does a $10 not-black Black Concierge card that people who have spent $1000+ have to buy so they can prove they belong to an exclusive club of megadorks...

As for ship sales? I've not heard a definitive answer-- it seems in part the success of the Kickstarter stretch goals caught them off guard and the decision was quickly made to industrialize the process. 4+ years later, we're still in pre-alpha, we just saw yet another concept ship sale last week, and most ships still aren't in the barely started game. It probably looks pretty genius when you're the one counting and spending the money. But if you're a part of the Dev Team, buried under a mountain of Engineering Debt, I suspect it looks like colossal stupidity.

It is very true that the sales of exorbitantly priced spaceship dlc IOUs has been the heart of their stratospheric success. It is also a deal with the devil that will one day exact a very punishing fee.

Independent of that, Sandi seems especially unimpressive at Marketing / Branding / PR management to me.

Her event planning skills never seem to include rehearsals and failsafes, which is why Chris ends up looking the fool at so many of them. The merchandise strategy has made them look less professional than any other major gaming company I can think of. Their customer support team routinely has had 3-4 week responses times - sometimes impacting their $1000+ customers. She herself can't be arsed to learn basic things about the game and betrays that ignorance often. She pursues an acting career on the sly while drawing what is surely an enormous salary. She coerced their executive producer into starring in an acting reel. She has told so many contradictory stories about her education, her past, her relationship with Chris, and more -- all of which is obvious to those paying attention. She has an unapologetically inflated sense of personal superiority and openly declares it in official communications.

For these and so many other reasons, I consider her to be pretty bad at her job. If she was a big part of concocting their cynical financing scheme via ship sales, LTI, exclusives, and so forth, then she might rightly take some credit for the war chest they've amassed. Yet if the game does not deliver features complete (which is certainly never will), and until all ships are delivered as sold, then those gains are ill-gotten. The only genius, then, is a genius for exploiting the trust of others for profit-- and while some call that Marketing, I call it Con-Artistry. I'd sooner call the person or persons who settled on it criminals than geniuses -- and I suspect there will come a day when history does, too.

On that note when's the last time she was a part of any live stream for the entire stream? I know she's all about those stupid pre-recorded things because she loves to pretend she's acting but it seems like the last few months she pops in for 5 minutes tops (does she even work there anymore?)

I mean, I know she's doing like 90 jobs at once because who else can but Sandi but she can't even do her primary job ever it seems.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

You really know nothing about CIG, development or business. Comedy or not - just stfu. If you're an adult, you certainly don't act like one. And if you're on the younger-side, then it makes perfect sense.

FYI, people here would love it if you made some serious effort posts about why CIG has a better than average chance of making a game that is anything more than a massive disappointment. Instead of doing that all you do is bitch about Skibby Shart and write endless, and largely stupid, and almost certainly wrong, missives about their TOS. And lame half assed justifications like "It was all disposable income" which you can literally read from every SC dipshit sperg on every comment section of every article for the last three years.

Because of that you are literally the worst poster that has ever posted in this thread. You're worse than Karl. You're a million times worse than Brendan of Info Redux. You're a thousand times worse than his wife.

Mr. Tophat is a billion times better poster than you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

My grandfather died in a Nazi concentration camp.

He fell out of his guard tower.

I laughed.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
HAHAHAHAH
They are bailing out and spergs defend them
This is over, and this is the best show i have ever seen
I'm truly amazed what can i say

Good call GORF, I still believe you can see in the future

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

Mr. Tophat is a billion times better poster than you.

:same:

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

G0RF posted:

Totally normal-- nothing to see here. If you doubt that, you know nothing about Game Development.

Indeed, it's like watching happy content moo cows enter one side of the slaughterhouse...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

orcinus posted:

Alcohol bath done.
Stimperial scaffold not removed yet.

I know jack dick about 3d printing, but that ones probably the best one I've ever seen, jpegs of, in this thread, which means it's the best one I've ever seen ever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
PC gaming show at E3 this year

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Didn't EightAce talk about an E3 video some time ago? Or, was he talking about a trailer for GamesCon?

I'm struck by the loss of talent at CIG, that they cannot even put together a flashy trailer for E3. I thought that CIG would, at least, be able to pull together something interesting for 3 - 10 minutes. Perhaps the worsening artistic talent in the recent concept sales is appearing elsewhere too.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Tace Vim posted:

Looking forward to the next 10 for the Chairman episode where Chris says, "I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh Squadron 42 is cancelled or Where’s Squadron 42!?” Squadron 42 was just a game mode for people to play the space-based mission elements of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together: Flying, walking around, shooting, doing all the rest of the stuff..."

Now with E3!

Wrecked Angle posted:

Sometimes I like to spend a few minutes imagining what would happen if by some crazy, stars-aligned phenomenon they actually managed to launch a functioning version of Star Citizen.

Can you imagine the CIG we've come to know being tasked with the problems that real games have? Can you imagine CIG balancing weapons? Hell, can you imagine them balancing ships? Ships which one person has paid hundreds of dollars for while the other has just poop-socked the easiest missions. Ah those missions, the missions that need to be just rewarding enough to give players a sense of progress while being just annoying enough to tempt you into buying the currency instead. What will they do about the ebil-goony-griefers? What happens if someone steals your ship?

I sit and think of these questions and ponder for a while, then chuckle to myself and think 'Heh, Star Citizen gets released'.

This makes me feel grief.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

ManofManyAliases posted:

You really know nothing about CIG, development or business. Comedy or not - just stfu. If you're an adult, you certainly don't act like one. And if you're on the younger-side, then it makes perfect sense.

I know about development and business. Scam game is a scam.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Danknificent posted:

carry on commando you're ten times the :justpost: I can ever hope to be

:911:

It's a fine line between just posting and shitposting, but Derek's hot air keeps me aloft like the end of the Tempest or something

Also, seriously speaking, you're a good poster and your username/av is perfect.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Danknificent posted:

there isn't an :iceburn: thingie big enough holy smokes

Tough, but fair.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Mr Tophat I love you very much in a thread-specific sort of way and I know no one will agree with me so feel free to ignore this, but

My dude :(

You have gone from just posting to ranting

Please :(

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

G0RF posted:

Well, I don't assume the "let's sell ship DLCs" notion was solely Sandi's invention. Million Mile High Club with no female NPCs? That sounds pretty Sandi-ish, as does a $10 not-black Black Concierge card that people who have spent $1000+ have to buy so they can prove they belong to an exclusive club of megadorks...

As for ship sales? I've not heard a definitive answer-- it seems in part the success of the Kickstarter stretch goals caught them off guard and the decision was quickly made to industrialize the process. 4+ years later, we're still in pre-alpha, we just saw yet another concept ship sale last week, and most ships still aren't in the barely started game. It probably looks pretty genius when you're the one counting and spending the money. But if you're a part of the Dev Team, buried under a mountain of Engineering Debt, I suspect it looks like colossal stupidity.

It is very true that the sales of exorbitantly priced spaceship dlc IOUs has been the heart of their stratospheric success. It is also a deal with the devil that will one day exact a very punishing fee.

Independent of that, Sandi seems especially unimpressive at Marketing / Branding / PR management to me.

Her event planning skills never seem to include rehearsals and failsafes, which is why Chris ends up looking the fool at so many of them. The merchandise strategy has made them look less professional than any other major gaming company I can think of. Their customer support team routinely has had 3-4 week responses times - sometimes impacting their $1000+ customers. She herself can't be arsed to learn basic things about the game and betrays that ignorance often. She pursues an acting career on the sly while drawing what is surely an enormous salary. She coerced their executive producer into starring in an acting reel. She has told so many contradictory stories about her education, her past, her relationship with Chris, and more -- all of which is obvious to those paying attention. She has an unapologetically inflated sense of personal superiority and openly declares it in official communications.

For these and so many other reasons, I consider her to be pretty bad at her job. If she was a big part of concocting their cynical financing scheme via ship sales, LTI, exclusives, and so forth, then she might rightly take some credit for the war chest they've amassed. Yet if the game does not deliver features complete (which is certainly never will), and until all ships are delivered as sold, then those gains are ill-gotten. The only genius, then, is a genius for exploiting the trust of others for profit-- and while some call that Marketing, I call it Con-Artistry. I'd sooner call the person or persons who settled on it criminals than geniuses -- and I suspect there will come a day when history does, too.

For the record, I'm in agreement that Sandi is bad at her job. The reasons are myriad, but you've hit many of them. In particular, as she is head of marketing I feel that CIGs absolutely abysmal corporate communication strategy can be laid at her feet. It has been a core and pervasive weakness which has served to alienate increasing numbers of backers and observers as time has gone on. At its core is what appears to be a deep contempt for the average backer. Something that shone through particularly clearly in the Beer emails. I was honestly amazed that a senior executive would engage in such an emotional series of tirades. It was incredible, and something I would never have expected to see from a "professional".

I do admit however that the runaway success that CIG has experienced in regards to this rotating stable of ships is impressive and demonstrates an intriguing cocktail of faith, trust, propaganda and willingness to ruthlessly exploit their backers. They stumbled upon a winning formula, and while it is probable that Sandi isn't the sole source of this strategy, I would be inclined to believe that she has had a hand in how far it has gone and the extreme levels it has reached. This is something that I also think will eventually backfire, in particular because while success can allow a great many things to be forgiven, failure does not. When it's time to pay the piper and all the funds have dried up, then there will be serious ramifications for this behaviour.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Palisader posted:

Mr Tophat I love you very much in a thread-specific sort of way and I know no one will agree with me so feel free to ignore this, but

My dude :(

You have gone from just posting to ranting

Please :(

Okay. Thanks for telling me. Being quiet now. Seriously speaking, I think the next week is going to be really interesting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

Okay. Thanks for telling me. Being quiet now. Seriously speaking, I think the next week is going to be really interesting.

more rants more :justpost: i can't bear to see you like this

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

It is, which is also why I think gnawing on MOMA is pointless. It just diverts attention to him, even if what we're doing is going "hey look, MOMA is here to divert attention!"

Also Annabelle Boo Huxley is a terrible person and I hate her. That's not related, I just wanted to say it.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

more rants more :justpost: i can't bear to see you like this

I'm fine. Really. I just refuse to be led down some emotional bullshit path about someone's dead grandfather over a loving videogame. Just got to me tis all.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Palisader posted:

Also Annabelle Boo Huxley is a terrible person and I hate her. That's not related, I just wanted to say it.

While we're sharing, let me just say that Ben is an insufferable oval office.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Mr.Tophat posted:

I'm fine. Really. I just refuse to be led down some emotional bullshit path about someone's dead grandfather over a loving videogame. Just got to me tis all.

the entire point was the distract you. tasteless as hell imo MOMA. I didnt really dislike you as having a believer around is cool.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

While we're sharing, let me just say that Ben is an insufferable oval office.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Will this game have different "Beard States" like Witcher 3? High fidelity "Beard States?"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SomethingJones posted:

10 for the Developers: Episode 12
May 30, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iydp3X56hpk

@ 23:30

Q: Why are new ships coming out of concept sale and going into production (example: the Reliant, Prowler, Herald and maybe even the Buccaneer) instead of moving onto ships that already had concept sales years ago? (example: Merchantman, Redeemer, Reclaimer)

Ben Lesnick, Developer:
WELL there's a whole bunch of uh... whole bunch of REASONS for that, uhm... a MAJOR one is that we kind of now have this PIPELINE down where the... the CONCEPT ARTISTS are in SYNCH with the tech designers and everyone else and a SHIP can very SEAMLESSLY go from one to the other to the other and... come out the other end... which you're seeing a lot with some of the SMALLER ships the SABRE was to... finished very quickly, the BUCCANEER is gonna go right into ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT I believe... that's... that's the SCHEDULE as of TODAY, that may change TOMORROW a-haha...

Another big ASPECT is the uh... the... kind of KITS and the STYLESHEETS they build for the MANUFACTURERS, ah, you probably noticed that when we ah... we did TWO OH you saw a lot of AEGIS and... and MISC SHIPS because those are the ships that have their uh... their PIPELINES... pretty much completed... and now you're seeing a whole BUNCH OF DRAKE SHIPS, we're finishing up the HERALD we're doing the BUCCANEER, we're... working on the CATERPILLAR... eh did it all... there's a RHYME BEHIND IT, I know people ah we wanna see the VANNUWUSHIPPA now we wanna see the VANNUWUSHIPPA now... I wanna see the VANNAWUSHIPPA now, everybody want's to see the VANNUWUSHIPPA now... but we need to take TIME to develop the VANNU ASTETICK... we need to do it RIGHT rather than RIGHT NOW... aahmm... so the... the other ship's time will COME, they... they're... they're all... they've all SCHEDULED OUT on the PRODUCTION PIPELINE NOW... Um...

I'll also mention that the PROWLER was one of the ones mentioned as GOING INTO PRODUCTION, we're still uh... we're still in CONCEPT on that one, um, it'll be a bit LONGER for exactly the same reason, UNTIL YOU SEE IT ah... We. Need. To. Build. The. TAVARAN RACE FIRST and we want to... do that RIGHT

VANNUWUSHIPPA is Banu Merchantman, the poster child for carebear sperg wish fulfillment.

Interesting that Ben practically confirmed that the Buccaneer would be fast tracked into active development, especially after saying that new ships after the Endeavor may not be in the game at release. I wonder if that can be expected for every ship? Who would buy something that CIG flat out said wouldn't be available until after the game was live?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
will time dilation affect perceived beard growth of other players??????

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
The E.L.E is in progress. And it burns.

• Locked thread