Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Helpless tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

dongsbot 9000 posted:

we've had this discussion and the best song is actually satisfied

I feel like we're soul mates sometimes

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I guess my feelings about Guns & Ships is that people who don't listen to rap (Which like, I'm not trying to be pretentious about this or anything, I think it's great that Hamilton introduced rap to a lot of people) will be impressed with it for doing what already reasonably popular in Hip Hop. Like, Guns & Ships is a great song, but I feel like it's not as innovative as the rest of the album. IDK, that's just like, my opinion man.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Make sure I am in this game asiina thx

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Asiina posted:

Like objectively the best song is My Shot, but also I think it depends what kind of person you are whether My Shot or Wait For It resonates with you more. I like Wait For It as a song, but it doesn't really hit me like some other people.

Totally agree. My Shot is my favorite in large part because the message of that song resonates with me a lot.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Like objectively the best song is My Shot, but also I think it depends what kind of person you are whether My Shot or Wait For It resonates with you more. I like Wait For It as a song, but it doesn't really hit me like some other people.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

we've had this discussion and the best song is actually satisfied

Both good songs. I like Satisfied more than My Shot. I also really like Right Hand Man, it's possibly my favourite on the album. There's lots of songs that are really good and a lot of them in really unique ways. As an example, I like how they intersperse more traditional sounding broadways songs via King George and do a better job of it then some musicals that are entirely that style.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my shot resonates with me more too, but also i just prefer its sound over wait for it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Best characters in Hamilton:

Aaron Burr
Eliza (controversial pick)
Angelica
Washington
Hamilton I guess.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess my feelings about Guns & Ships is that people who don't listen to rap (Which like, I'm not trying to be pretentious about this or anything, I think it's great that Hamilton introduced rap to a lot of people) will be impressed with it for doing what already reasonably popular in Hip Hop. Like, Guns & Ships is a great song, but I feel like it's not as innovative as the rest of the album. IDK, that's just like, my opinion man.

Yeah I am definitely one of those people, which is why I like it. I never in my life listened to any rap whatsoever and so to get super into this and not only enjoy the music, but just begin to appreciate the skill required to be able to physically say words that fast has been pretty eye opening and makes me really enjoy it. You not only have to memorize the words (and there's not that many words in Guns and Ships) but in trying to sing it, you have to get your mouth to move much faster than you normally would. So learning that song and practicing being able to sing it felt like I was honing a skill I never tried before. It feels like an accomplishment. I've come to understand how it's pretty standard for someone like Daveed Diggs and within rap it's not really that impressive for him (he said somewhere recently it took him about 10 minutes to learn), but it's just a lot of fun for me.

Also relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNBdgv6VBs

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah burr is a much better character than hamilton and it's not really close.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I forgot about the part in my shot they go "A-L, E-X, A-N, D, E-R, we are, meant to be" ok that can be the best song

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

In as the abstract concept of scarcity.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I view Peggy in the song Schuyler Sisters as Dooneese from the famous SNL sketch

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-lawrence-welk-show/n12318

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Burr and Hamilton are quite similar, and I like them both.

I love Eliza though. Like it's secretly a super strong feminist show.

My absolute favourite small thing that never gets talked about is from the very last song where the ensemble repeats with increasing urgency "Will they tell your story?" except that's not what Eliza says. The first time she says "We tell your story" but then when she starts talking about all the work she did it becomes "Will they tell our story?" and then finally after talking about the orphanage she says "Will they tell my story?"

She's completely taken control of her own narrative and it's not just about Hamilton, it's secretly been about Eliza the whole time.

It's to the point where one of the things that will instantly trigger my tears is when the ensemble first says "Eliza" in that last song. It's so powerful a message.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

In as the abstract concept of scarcity.

I think you're looking for this game

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think I've listened to the soundtrack like 50 times now?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
best song is the room where it happens btw

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I view Peggy in the song Schuyler Sisters as Dooneese from the famous SNL sketch

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-lawrence-welk-show/n12318

My friend and I were singing along in the car on the way to Banff the other day and we got to The Schuyler Sisters and he'd sing Peggy's lines in his deep bass voice and it'd crack me up every time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Yeah I am definitely one of those people, which is why I like it. I never in my life listened to any rap whatsoever and so to get super into this and not only enjoy the music, but just begin to appreciate the skill required to be able to physically say words that fast has been pretty eye opening and makes me really enjoy it. You not only have to memorize the words (and there's not that many words in Guns and Ships) but in trying to sing it, you have to get your mouth to move much faster than you normally would. So learning that song and practicing being able to sing it felt like I was honing a skill I never tried before. It feels like an accomplishment. I've come to understand how it's pretty standard for someone like Daveed Diggs and within rap it's not really that impressive for him (he said somewhere recently it took him about 10 minutes to learn), but it's just a lot of fun for me.

Yeah, definitely. I also think Hamilton is way more accessible than most Hip Hop, because the subject matter is basically just more interesting, with less unpleasant things and that it's essentially a concept album in a genre that doesn't really have a standout concept album.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

I think I've listened to the soundtrack like 50 times now?

I couldn't even begin to count. Most days I will listen to it at the very least once, but usually two or three times.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like that hamilton is like a popular thing that actually has some attitude to it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Absurd Revolver posted:

best song is the room where it happens btw

:agreed:

Asiina posted:

My absolute favourite small thing that never gets talked about is from the very last song where the ensemble repeats with increasing urgency "Will they tell your story?" except that's not what Eliza says. The first time she says "We tell your story" but then when she starts talking about all the work she did it becomes "Will they tell our story?" and then finally after talking about the orphanage she says "Will they tell my story?"

She's completely taken control of her own narrative and it's not just about Hamilton, it's secretly been about Eliza the whole time.

It's to the point where one of the things that will instantly trigger my tears is when the ensemble first says "Eliza" in that last song. It's so powerful a message.

It's perhaps a bit obvious, but I really like Eliza's work in Stay Alive (Reprise)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am thankful for the existence of hamilton because at least now asiina is taking in media other than the west wing

i was afraid she was going to overdose and get sorkinitics

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah, definitely. I also think Hamilton is way more accessible than most Hip Hop, because the subject matter is basically just more interesting, with less unpleasant things and that it's essentially a concept album in a genre that doesn't really have a standout concept album.

Exactly. Most of the reasons I never got into rap was because as a white Canadian woman I felt like rap and hip hop never really spoke to my experience. I couldn't find a way to engage with it so I wrote it off at a fairly early age. So more than just liking this musical (and for a whole host of other emotional and intellectual reasons), I also really appreciate it for teaching me to have some appreciation for the complexity and talent and skill that goes into good hip hop.

It's really the gift that keeps on giving.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Asiina posted:

Holy cow, I never picked up on that! That's amazing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I couldn't even begin to count. Most days I will listen to it at the very least once, but usually two or three times.

I'm trying not to listen to it too much so I don't burn myself out by the time I go to NY.

PBS Newshour posted:

i am thankful for the existence of hamilton because at least now asiina is taking in media other than the west wing

Recently the youngest member of my improv troupe started a 30 minute longform by giving themselves the character description of "Erin Sorkin, not the famous one, we just have similar names" and it was simultaneously the funniest and most dead end lead I've ever seen.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This is a post from someone who is Definitely Not A Hip Hop Historian, but I think it's less that the subject matter is more interesting and more that it follows a complete narrative that is easy to pick up - I think A Good Day and Just A Friend are very accessible since the telling of a story largely makes everything more straightforward to follow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

i was afraid she was going to overdose and get sorkinitics

Shows what you know, Hamilton and The West Wing are very similar and there is a Sorkin line in Hamilton.

"As long as you come home at the end of the day, that would be enough" is taken from not just The West Wing but also from Sports Night because Aaron Sorkin likes to repeat his lines he likes.

"The only thing you ever had to do to make me happy was come home at the end of the day."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Recently the youngest member of my improv troupe started a 30 minute longform by giving themselves the character description of "Erin Sorkin, not the famous one, we just have similar names" and it was simultaneously the funniest and most dead end lead I've ever seen.

why isn't all improv just based around a "we have similar names" game??

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

Shows what you know, Hamilton and The West Wing are very similar and there is a Sorkin line in Hamilton.

"As long as you come home at the end of the day, that would be enough" is taken from not just The West Wing but also from Sports Night because Aaron Sorkin likes to repeat his lines he likes.

"The only thing you ever had to do to make me happy was come home at the end of the day."

He also has a MBMBaM line and that is way cooler than the West Wing :cool:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CCKeane posted:

This is a post from someone who is Definitely Not A Hip Hop Historian, but I think it's less that the subject matter is more interesting and more that it follows a complete narrative that is easy to pick up - I think A Good Day and Just A Friend are very accessible since the telling of a story largely makes everything more straightforward to follow.

Instead of more interesting, maybe more unique? I'm not trying to present all hip hop as all the same, but you don't get a lot of history based rap outside of high school projects. The concept album aspect, a full story, is also really good and something that is sadly not very common in the genre from my relatively uninformed perspective.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'm trying not to listen to it too much so I don't burn myself out by the time I go to NY.

I am honest to God concerned I am going to be unable to stop myself from singing along once I finally go. It's essentially muscle memory at this point. I think I'll be too busy making this face this whole time though.

When are you going? Did you manage to get lucky with tickets or did you pay the big bucks for the resales?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Yo, Wait For It is the best song. Thanks for listening, ya'll.

Also I just subscribed to MBMBaM because I love Monster Factory.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My tickets are for August. I ordered them in 2015 so I'm not sure if that counts as lucky.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meinberg posted:

I THINK DOGS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO VOTE

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Instead of more interesting, maybe more unique? I'm not trying to present all hip hop as all the same, but you don't get a lot of history based rap outside of high school projects. The concept album aspect, a full story, is also really good and something that is sadly not very common in the genre from my relatively uninformed perspective.

Well, I'd say that's more to do with it being a musical, since that seems to be more of a central element than the historical part.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm on mobile right now but burr and Hamilton are vastly different characters who, while crossing paths and having somewhat similar goals (although not really) have completely different character arcs and burr is far superior because Hamilton doesn't change throughout the entire story. I love the show but being real Hamilton is probably the only one note character in the whole thing

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Meinberg posted:

Wait for it is a good song, but I actually sent the first verse of You'll Be Back to a buddy of mine on Valentine's Day this year. I love George III's delivery.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kashuno posted:

I'm on mobile right now but burr and Hamilton are vastly different characters who, while crossing paths and having somewhat similar goals (although not really) have completely different character arcs and burr is far superior because Hamilton doesn't change throughout the entire story. I love the show but being real Hamilton is probably the only one note character in the whole thing

Hamilton goes to throw away his shot, so... You know. Growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean like, I get what you're saying and agree that Burr is a better character, but did you miss the heavy handed contrast between "not throwing away my shot" and "take the bullets out your gun" to the last scene where Hamilton literally throws away his god damned shot.

E:F;B

• Locked thread