Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fancy_Lad posted:

Could you detail what you did to fix it? I've basically given up on power saving the lighthouses because they randomly sleep on me causing tracking to drop while using it and also have an ASUS motherboard, so it could be the same issue...

I'll see what I do. It's been an on and off process since I got it last week, so hopefully I won't forget anything.

I don't know if it was related or not, but the Asus Ai Charger bloatware that came with my mobo was causing system crashes, I removed it and things got much better fast. It was causing issues, but I think it would have done that regardless of whether or not I had a Vive. Update your system drivers; my z170 deluxe had some beta USB drivers that specifically mentioned the Rift for usage. BIOS update and anything else that's not current as well. Unplug your breakout box from your tower and go into your SteamVR settings and there should be an option to delete all associated drivers. Do that and plug your breakout box back in to get your Vive drivers reinstalled. Hopefully from there things should start to cooperate.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Sprocket posted:

So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

Sounds pretty much identical to what happened with me. My vive arrives tomorrow!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
If anyone has any new vive titles they think are worthwhile let me know.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wow, I didnt know they were supplying retail stores instead of preorders. That is scummy to the extreme. As much as the headset might actually be pretty good, they are bad at business sense.

Lots of things they've been doing have been great in terms of business but really end up loving consumers. Capitalism! They're trying their hardest to become the apple of vr.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When the hell is Valve going to fix my Headset firmware? Better yet, can I roll that stuff back?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Knifegrab posted:

If anyone has any new vive titles they think are worthwhile let me know.

Yeah, we seem to be hitting the usual launch issue of not having many new games. June will be good though.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For Rift users, it's from reddit and seems like it works and can make a decent difference in the render resolution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4k80g4/increase_the_render_resolution_of_the_rift/

posted:

1 Download SDK 1.3.2 or 1.4 (same)
2 Launch ​OculusDebugTool ( \OculusSDK\Tools\ of SDK) and in ' Pixels Per Display Pixel Overide' choose 2 instead of 0 (or 1.2, 1.4... depend of the game and your graphic card) 'Enter'.
3 Leave OculusDebugTool open and launch your game/app

4 ENJOY !

If you use oculusdebugtool before launch oculus home, you will have lag and lose tracking, it's normal. Close OculusDebugTool, re-open it and choose the pixel overide again.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Sprocket posted:

So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

I did not get invoiced for my Day 1, 40 minute Rift till 5/17 so yours would have been soon. I'll actually bet that most 1 hour preorders have gotten theirs by now.
I understand complaining about them going to retail before fulfilling preorders but that's how a lot of product launches go. Retailers have contracts and breaking contract is way more costly than delaying owners for a little... and since I'm still speculating, I'd bet that none of those retailers have gotten restocked since the initial wave of 1-2 per store.

Same poo poo happens all the time for product launches, hell.. even HTC isn't perfect. When I preordered my Nexus 9 at +1 minute, I still had to wait a loving extra month for HTC / Google to ship mine.

The Vive either didn't sell as much as they hoped to at launch so they had a surplus, or HTC is able to turnaround more headsets in higher quantities than whatever vendor Oculus chose to go with.

Either way, both headsets seem good at what they do, the Vive is clearly the winner in terms of having touch for the greater portion of 2016.
We'll see where we are in Q4 2016 when Oculus Touch comes out and whether or not a new HMD will launch in early 2017 that is way better... although Lighthouse / Constellation still seems locked down and may never go outside of HTC/Oculus.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Where can I go to demo these products?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

For the vive:

Knifegrab posted:

Where can I try this dumb thing? - Currently I’m only aware that certain Microsoft stores, Gamestop stores, and Micro Center stores have demos available. I will update this if more become available. Some goons might be willing to show you too so post in the thread maybe?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sprocket posted:

On the other hand I ordered my Vive on the 8th still have no idea when they'll get around to shipping it.

edit: of april

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Select Best Buys are doing Rift demos
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/oculus-rift-vr/pcmcat748302045866.c?id=pcmcat748302045866

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300060/) and apparently they provide Oculus Home keys if you email support.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300060/) and apparently they provide Oculus Home keys if you email support.

:barf:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah I had been holding off on that game a lot of people said it made them sick. I love space though, and I've spent $10 on worse.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Playing Overwatch in BigScreen is pretty fun. It's cool to have such a giant screen, relatively. I dunno if I'd want to play CS or something on it, but Overwatch is fun. Having the audio and mic integrated into the Rift is also super convenient

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my vive got here finally today, just spent about the last 7 hours straight in vr. brief comments -

1. I`m very sweaty
2. the little baby things in hordez can get hosed, most terrifying enemy in anything ever. christ they scare me. if you don`t literally shriek the first time you look down and see them skittering at you you`re a much braver person than I.
3. I may have slightly fractured my right wrist jumping to try and catch a stray balloon within 15 minutes of putting the thing on. thankfully nothing important (the controller) was hurt
4. audioshield is the tops so far. disagree 100% with ppl who say it doesn`t match the song, anything with a decent beat and you`re golden.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 31, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh, 5, this thing is everything I could have possibly hoped it would be. the sense of being somewhere else is uncanny. also I guess I have great vr legs because an hour of windlands did nothing to me except give me wooshy stomach and leg sensations and make my feet itchy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've realized I have no internet access in the room I set aside to be my Vive room tomorrow. Won't be able to get it wired up until Friday at the earliest...

So, you don't need internet to do any vive stuff once everything is installed and registered right? I can totally just move the computer back and forth from room to room and do Vive stuff without any internet at the time of playing/configging, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I've realized I have no internet access in the room I set aside to be my Vive room tomorrow. Won't be able to get it wired up until Friday at the earliest...

So, you don't need internet to do any vive stuff once everything is installed and registered right? I can totally just move the computer back and forth from room to room and do Vive stuff without any internet at the time of playing/configging, right?

I assume it'd be fine but you probably want to confirm the offline stuff works first, I know it can be squirrelly so double check before you start needing to haul the computer back and forth

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If it's steam you can launch everything once on online mode then set steam to offline and our should work fine.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I have my vive set up in the garage with no internet. Works fine as far as playing everything goes.

For the guy feeling bad about cancelling a rift preorder, my rift order was at 20 mins and I got it about a month ago, but i have not plugged the CV1 in once since the vive arrived a week ago. Only reason im not selling the CV1 is that i want to make sure my stuff is compatible with both headsets, eventually, once touch comes out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

monkey posted:

I have my vive set up in the garage with no internet. Works fine as far as playing everything goes.

For the guy feeling bad about cancelling a rift preorder, my rift order was at 20 mins and I got it about a month ago, but i have not plugged the CV1 in once since the vive arrived a week ago. Only reason im not selling the CV1 is that i want to make sure my stuff is compatible with both headsets, eventually, once touch comes out.

Touch is already emulated by Revive, though I can understand the concern that Oculus will push another update (or takedown request).

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

SwissCM posted:

Touch is already emulated by Revive, though I can understand the concern that Oculus will push another update (or takedown request).

Sure, but people with a CV1 generally aren't running revive... I'm not running revive either, as I have both headsets. The only reason for me to keep the CV1 is so that I can make sure my stuff works on the CV1, but I have no interest in supporting an xbox controller.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Super Hot just announced an Oculus Exclusive update to their game, Superhot VR.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4lsaxn/superhot_devs_annouce_superhot_vr_for_oculus_touch/

Glad to see lots more people are starting to realize how bad exclusivity is for VR as a whole.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What a shame that it's locked to a store when it wouldn't need to be.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The comments on the superhot subreddit where he confirmed Oculus exclusivity are pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/superhot/comments/4ld39q/superhot_dev_log_1/d3p14yp

It's a lovely decision for sure. I was looking forward to it when they first announced they'd be doing things with VR. Not any more I guess.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 31, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
E: double post

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't mind as much as I'm sure it will bite them a bit and they'll recognize exclusivity as the toxic it is. Especially since VR isn't all that big yet.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Its hard to say, I'm sure we all have opinions about it but what are the sales saying to Oculus? Surely its been profitable because it seems they are still reaching out to more and more studios for these exclusivity offerings. Incredibly lovely and disappointing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Its hard to say, I'm sure we all have opinions about it but what are the sales saying to Oculus? Surely its been profitable because it seems they are still reaching out to more and more studios for these exclusivity offerings. Incredibly lovely and disappointing.

The exclusivity deal is going to take long while before it starts actually making a markedable trend in their profit margin, it is too early for them to learn and understand exactly how badly this fucks them up, and because gamers are such lovely consumers, they will be led to believe this is a positive trend for a while.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Lemming posted:

Playing Overwatch in BigScreen is pretty fun. It's cool to have such a giant screen, relatively. I dunno if I'd want to play CS or something on it, but Overwatch is fun. Having the audio and mic integrated into the Rift is also super convenient
how is the fps? I tried Overwatch during the beta in Bigscreen and it was too laggy too really work

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

how is the fps? I tried Overwatch during the beta in Bigscreen and it was too laggy too really work

It's smooth for me. I have a 970. I can't really run Chrome in the background and I have to turn the resolution down to 720p and some of the settings to medium, but if I do that it's fine. I got judder every so often in the Vive but with the Rift it's smooth.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

It's smooth for me. I have a 970. I can't really run Chrome in the background and I have to turn the resolution down to 720p and some of the settings to medium, but if I do that it's fine. I got judder every so often in the Vive but with the Rift it's smooth.

That's an odd definition of "smooth" if I ever read one and it makes me consider your posts thereafter. I get that you refer to fps, but that seems like quite a bit of a sacrifice to achieve that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

That's an odd definition of "smooth" if I ever read one and it makes me consider your posts thereafter. I get that you refer to fps, but that seems like quite a bit of a sacrifice to achieve that.

There's no point in keeping the resolution higher, it doesn't really look any better if you're wearing one of the headsets, unless you make the image big enough that you have to move your head around to see everything, which I don't do. It's not much of a sacrifice to not have Chrome running, it mostly just means that I can't run Twitch or Youtube or something in the background at the same time.

Virtual Desktop ran smooth in both since it has a lower overhead and isn't doing much environment rendering, but I prefer Bigscreen.

Edit: In game FPS stays at 60 even if I put the resolution to 1920x1200 with the graphics at ultra, but I can tell whatever I'm seeing is not actually that smooth. When I turn the settings down to 720p and low it says the same amount in game but is noticeably smoother, but also looks roughly the same, because everything on a current VR headset is not going to be particularly detailed anyway.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 31, 2016

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Alright, sounds about the same performance I got then. It was somewhat manageable when downscaling it heavily (in a subjective sense, it's still playable but hardly 1080), and sadly Bigscreen runs a lot more overhead compared to Virtual Desktop where every game I've tried has been fully playable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, you can make a lot of games 3D with Tridef 3D: https://www.tridef.com/cart/product.php?productid=3

It has a 2 week trial, and it works great with virtual desktop. Run game, hit F7, play game on a big honking 3D screen. Tried a couple games and it works great with most, though UI is often all wrong due to not being at the correct depth, so it's not very good for UI heavy games like MMOs.

Doing jumpy puzzles in stereo 3d in gw2 is fun. Also, warframe in 3d is as insane as it sounds.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
The OP sure has a lot of unexplained acronyms. What does HMD mean?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Head Mounted Display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Oh ok, thanks.