Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Skellybones posted:

Hey now, there's no reason he couldn't have still been killing Germans until his untimely death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjmWU3U1wc8

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I didn't mean to snipe!

Richie Stardust fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Jon Do posted:

Salty dog.img

I'm a veteran and that salty rear end dog made me doubt my minerals. But then he encouraged me to be the guy I wants to be. After giving me some time to reflect and cool off, he taught me a few practical things that will really help me be a better teammate in my unit and also communicate to my peers and superiors that I'm onboard and committed to victory. Now I'm ready to use what I learned in the military to be a leader in my community and my family. Thanks.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

FrankieGoes posted:

You'd kind of think that if they really need an AD in LA, that they also kind of really need an AD in ATX. And he could have just stayed in Austin and they could have hired another one for LA. Or couldn't Ben have been the LA version? He's the director of ships, right? But it kinda seems like you'd need an AD in Austion, since, you know, that's where they're supposedly making the PU. Right? I guess I know nothing about studio development.

Gutting the Austin studio in order to move to Los Angeles so we could be near Hollywood and do movie stuff and have mo-cap studios and hobnob with celebrities for reasons was not the best idea, it seems.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Richie Stardust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjmWU3U1wc8

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I didn't mean to snipe!

"I never thought I could shoot down a German plane. But last year, I proved myself wrong!"

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lti1d/bringing_tokenized_blockchain_assets_to_star/

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

so they are still in that bullshit mantra they spread to spergs "oppressive publishers" lol

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I don't think attaching a chain and a block to their token will improve CIG's image.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
RIP Mr. Tophat.

You are the Jesus of this thread and in 3 days you will rise again.

:justpost:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mr.Tophat posted:

I don't understand this concept of 'wrong', perhaps you can describe it in terms i understand? Perhaps phrase it like, "It's like that scene from..."

You see I'm using the Crobbert's Creative Vision Model for all my cognitive processes pertaining to fraud

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oh look. Sandi is paying off an SA mod now.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

TerraGoetia posted:

I'm curious about when Derek Smart and Something Awful became on good terms with each other. I remember ages ago when Lowtax would do Front Page Articles and Game Reviews about Universal Combat and Battlecruiser 3K AD. Then Derek registered for the forums to defend his games, and got mocked by early-2000s goons. Now he's a mod. When did it all flip around? Was it the poo poo-factor of Star Citizen that brought them together, or was it something earlier?

SA is a comedy forum. Star Citizen brought comedy. More comedy than anyone could have imagined or anticipated. Comedy about internet spaceships jpegs. Derek came in and brought related, other comedy. While their stories are deeply entwined, being generally on the side of logic and reason (and being loud about everything), Derek won over the hearts and minds of goons young and old. He might not be the best poster, or most factual, or most amusing, or best mod, but he's generally pretty good. He legitimately understands game development, which, "back in the day" was really quite interesting (learning about 32-bit vs. 64-bit nonsense was a good time in the thread). He's taken some licks from goons when he say or does dumb things and reacts reasonably well. He overuses a few smilies, sure. But boy does he excel in one of the gooniest of traits: getting dumb people upset at him and laughing about it.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

CubicalSucrose posted:

But boy does he excel in one of the gooniest of traits: getting dumb people upset at him and laughing about it.
troof

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VealCutlet posted:

RIP Mr. Tophat.

You are the Jesus of this thread and in 3 days you will rise again.

:justpost:

Gotta say tho, Eonwe woud've never gotten his timeout ITT due to his zen of shitposting. Still, I applaud Tophat's efforts to follow and sacrifice himself in the same footsteps.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Man, the amount of people in that /r/starcitizen thread claiming that E3 is not relevant to consumers, when it has always been (and arguably still is) the biggest event for gaming news and information. It boggles the mind.

And the length of the posts trying to hand wave it away, my god. Just skimming it is an effort.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ComfyPants posted:

Gutting the Austin studio in order to move to Los Angeles so we could be near Hollywood and do movie stuff and have mo-cap studios and hobnob with celebrities for reasons was not the best idea, it seems.

expanding to 300+ people and having 4-5 studios spread to the four winds when you're a brand new developer with no credibility and branding your office and having your own con like you're Blizzard or Id or something was a bad idea

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Meridian posted:

Will this game have different "Beard States" like Witcher 3? High fidelity "Beard States?"

They don't have hair. Why would they have beards?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TerraGoetia posted:

I'm curious about when Derek Smart and Something Awful became on good terms with each other. I remember ages ago when Lowtax would do Front Page Articles and Game Reviews about Universal Combat and Battlecruiser 3K AD. Then Derek registered for the forums to defend his games, and got mocked by early-2000s goons. Now he's a mod. When did it all flip around? Was it the poo poo-factor of Star Citizen that brought them together, or was it something earlier?
Both sides figured out that goons and dereks weren't so different after all

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

Alcohol bath done.
Stimperial scaffold not removed yet.

:swoon:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:eyepop: those upvotes

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

AP posted:

oh that's interesting, can you do since start of the year?

Here is the overall citizen influx for this year so far:

It is dominated by the spikes from the three free fly events, but we can see that those are clearly losing their effectiveness. To see what the natural rate of increase is, we have to zoom in a lot closer:

Fitting a trend would require masking out the three big events above, which is too much effort for me to do right now. But we can clearly see a downslide, possibly stabilizing in March, followed by a resumed downslide in May.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Tokamak posted:

:eyepop: those upvotes

The end times are approaching gents, the following months are likely to get as ugly as a bulldogge licking piss off a stinging nettle, or a toothless old hag sucking warm diarrhea through a pig farmers sock.

Either way, this thread will run fast. :)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Sometimes I like to spend a few minutes imagining what would happen if by some crazy, stars-aligned phenomenon they actually managed to launch a functioning version of Star Citizen.

Can you imagine the CIG we've come to know being tasked with the problems that real games have? Can you imagine CIG balancing weapons? Hell, can you imagine them balancing ships? Ships which one person has paid hundreds of dollars for while the other has just poop-socked the easiest missions. Ah those missions, the missions that need to be just rewarding enough to give players a sense of progress while being just annoying enough to tempt you into buying the currency instead. What will they do about the ebil-goony-griefers? What happens if someone steals your ship?

I sit and think of these questions and ponder for a while, then chuckle to myself and think 'Heh, Star Citizen gets released'.

You have just described the hell of flak ED is just going through now after the release of their latest update. Apparently the myriad of new ways to mod ship systems and weapons, the new AI and the balance issues / bugs associated with it all are "a bit of a hot topic".

First world problems I guess when you have a loving REAL GAME to develop.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 31, 2016

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

My account is going to go out with a bang. I can't post on the forums, but I was still in a the 300+ citizen PM chain that Bexter started a few years ago.

Also

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ltxw8/cig_dont_have_time_for_their_promised_e3/

Edit:

Well that didn't take long:

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 31, 2016

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Chiwie posted:

My account is going to go out with a bang. I can't post on the forums, but I was still in a the 300+ citizen PM chain that Bexter started a few years ago.

Also

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ltxw8/cig_dont_have_time_for_their_promised_e3/

Good lord man, that is a fine post.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Chiwie posted:

Also

Edit:

ahahahahahaha. Man...I would so post there if I still had my account.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

SomethingJones posted:

Good lord man, that is a fine post.

I was banned in under 5 min. You can buy some AAA+ damage control with $114 million.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

ahahahahahaha. Man...I would so post there if I still had my account.

You can still PM with a refunded account.

Justsaying.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TerraGoetia posted:

Right back at the beginning of Derek's current clash with SC, people on the forum noticed that he appeared to have the right of it when discussing exactly what the trajectory of the game was, and then about the time when he started making noises in a way that actually got some people to get refunds from CIG, someone noticed that his account from waaaay back in the day was still in operation. He was essentially initially invited to post here for shits and giggles because the prevailing take on the matter was it was deeply funny that one failed developer was taking potshots at another developer who was failing decades later in exactly the same way. Initially it was kinda rocky because Derek hadn't quite grasped the zen of justposting on the SA forums, and he even hosed off in a huff for a while after some personality clashes, but he kept coming back, and a lot of the info he was dropping was clearly accurate and definitely from internal sources.

Basically what started off as an uneasy truce because we had a common target to laugh at has evolved into... I dunno. A grudging respect, maybe? Recognition that while his games are not hugely successful by any objective measure, that here's a guy who at least obsessively cares about the things that he's trying to do with his games rather than just being a shyster rip-off merchant? I mean, Derek's still a blowhard and an internet warlord and all of that, but he's either mellowed a lot since his early days and gotten to the point where he can take some good-natured ribbing in his stride, or he's sufficiently obsessed with shitizens that he lets the occasional barb from us slide. That plus he's occasionally really, really loving funny and releases some gold information now and then (though you do kinda need to sift through all of the 'two weeks' and 'here's the big reveal on my blog that reiterates poo poo you already know about').

Don't mistake him being a mod for any kind of special thing, tho; I'm fairly sure that part of it is that he was made mod just so no-one else would have to deal with the Star Citizen shitpile, though it's also fair enough that he's mod of this subforum because he has brought a fair amount of laughs, traffic, and notoriety to this dead gay comedy forum. Regardless of what shitizens and Reddit think, we're not like his little army of minions or anything, but we are naturally attracted to the potential for schadenfreude, and he's the guy with the claim to a rich seam of it.

I don't know if he'll even keep posting here once the Star Citizen fiasco is over, but I've personally liked having him around because at the end of the day he's an unusual guy with an interesting take on certain things, and he's certainly made the forums livelier. Plus the fact that we've managed to bury the hatchet with him is fairly amazing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
justposting to balance out a carepost about a dumb beep boop game

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How's everyone's week going? I've got a week of vacation so I've been learning to cook new food with my girlfriend and I spent today helping her build an Ikea cabinet.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

died

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Breetai posted:

Right back at the beginning of Derek's current clash with SC, people on the forum noticed that he appeared to have the right of it when discussing exactly what the trajectory of the game was, and then about the time when he started making noises in a way that actually got some people to get refunds from CIG, someone noticed that his account from waaaay back in the day was still in operation. He was essentially initially invited to post here for shits and giggles because the prevailing take on the matter was it was deeply funny that one failed developer was taking potshots at another developer who was failing decades later in exactly the same way. Initially it was kinda rocky because Derek hadn't quite grasped the zen of justposting on the SA forums, and he even hosed off in a huff for a while after some personality clashes, but he kept coming back, and a lot of the info he was dropping was clearly accurate and definitely from internal sources.

Basically what started off as an uneasy truce because we had a common target to laugh at has evolved into... I dunno. A grudging respect, maybe? Recognition that while his games are not hugely successful by any objective measure, that here's a guy who at least obsessively cares about the things that he's trying to do with his games rather than just being a shyster rip-off merchant? I mean, Derek's still a blowhard and an internet warlord and all of that, but he's either mellowed a lot since his early days and gotten to the point where he can take some good-natured ribbing in his stride, or he's sufficiently obsessed with shitizens that he lets the occasional barb from us slide. That plus he's occasionally really, really loving funny and releases some gold information now and then (though you do kinda need to sift through all of the 'two weeks' and 'here's the big reveal on my blog that reiterates poo poo you already know about').

Don't mistake him being a mod for any kind of special thing, tho; I'm fairly sure that part of it is that he was made mod just so no-one else would have to deal with the Star Citizen shitpile, though it's also fair enough that he's mod of this subforum because he has brought a fair amount of laughs, traffic, and notoriety to this dead gay comedy forum. Regardless of what shitizens and Reddit think, we're not like his little army of minions or anything, but we are naturally attracted to the potential for schadenfreude, and he's the guy with the claim to a rich seam of it.

I don't know if he'll even keep posting here once the Star Citizen fiasco is over, but I've personally liked having him around because at the end of the day he's an unusual guy with an interesting take on certain things, and he's certainly made the forums livelier. Plus the fact that we've managed to bury the hatchet with him is fairly amazing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chiwie posted:

Also

Edit:

Wow, banned not probated? As in you can't even log into the game now? Lol - are you going to try to get a charge back now since they're preventing you from accessing the content you've paid for?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Today was a day of remembrance for myself and my family. My grandfather fought in WW2 and died several years ago. Lambaste away if you please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfyGTv_XEg

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

No problem. Glad to hear it was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuNrLIPkHNE

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I come back to catch up every month or so, and this thread always delivers.

How many people does CIG employ? I'm legitimately concerned that people more competent than Roberts (And way less deserving of the fallout of this...) will be out of jobs in a competitive industry. It'll be both interesting and terrifying to see if Star Citizen is a black mark on a resume.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ally - fought for the Co-belligerents after the American-Italian armistice.

You really know nothing about CIG, development or business. Comedy or not - just stfu. If you're an adult, you certainly don't act like one. And if you're on the younger-side, then it makes perfect sense.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe I can't? Not because I don't want to .... but ... can't?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Funny how contracts work right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If5cE10ULac&t=190s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

boviscopophobic posted:

Fitting a trend would require masking out the three big events above, which is too much effort for me to do right now. But we can clearly see a downslide, possibly stabilizing in March, followed by a resumed downslide in May.

Good stuff, you can see interest start to wane in reporting bugs on the PTU too.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha?sort=newest&pagesize=100

• Locked thread