Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, Witcher 3 kinda spoiled it's tastefulness in the second major area with the witch. The first town your in there mentions that soldiers are abusing their power but instead of just insinuating that they're rapists they go cartoonishly out of the way to make sure the player gets it. It's not "Oh no, the soldiers aren't allowing people their dignity" it's more like ":byodood:ALL RIGHT EVERYONE LINE UP FOR YOUR MORNING RAPIN'!:byodood:"

Considering one of the Witcher 3 devs had to actually post in a thread to explain that the evil rape empire were not the good guys I can't actually blame them for taking the path of no-subtlety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Based on Witcher 2, the kingdoms being invaded are ruled by extremely stupid and selfish inbred psychopaths and when I found out the sorceresses were scheming to take over it was hard to hold it against them. Later when Letho revealed he was on a mission to destabilise the kingdoms to pave the way for the Empire invading well, maybe that would be a net positive for the area? So I can imagine them really having to play up the evil of the Imperial soldiers just to make it clear that they're not preferable to the likes of Henselt.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Emperor of Nilfgaard is Charles Dance so an imperial victory would be a victory for everyone :colbert:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Considering one of the Witcher 3 devs had to actually post in a thread to explain that the evil rape empire were not the good guys I can't actually blame them for taking the path of no-subtlety.

Ah, you mean the dev who flipped his poo poo because people were actually saying the Big Bad Evil Rape Empire wasn't portrayed any worse than the Big Good Evil Rape Not-Empire unless you'd already read the books? :v:

Watching him accuse goons of being fascists fetishists because of that was hilarious.

e; just to clarify. People in the Witcher 3 thread were making comments about how the Empire antagonists didn't really come off as any more antagonistic than the other groups (a lot of the early NPCs affiliated with them are direct and relatively fair in their treatment of you and the people, if very snobby), and the dev lost his poo poo about how rape, slavery and so on were obviously being glorified by the goons in question...despite those activities being portrayed as something drat near everyone in the gameworld takes part in. It was a really weird freak out on his behalf.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 21:27 on May 30, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, nah, I'm keeping this:

Nah. He was responding to poo poo like

quote:

Nothing wrong with slavery, slaves get fed. Slave that can't work is useless. Slave owners letting them die? They were gonna die anyway. Better off being a slave, have food and shelter than to starve. And honestly? Legalizing slavery will solve a big part of the homeless problem.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 21:33 on May 30, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder: this is a poptart_fairy post. I'd suggest looking up the original shitstorm if you need to figure what actually happened.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stuntman posted:

Reminder: this is a poptart_fairy post. I'd suggest looking up the original shitstorm if you need to figure what actually happened.

Why don't you quote the posts then? I'm the guy he originally flipped his poo poo at.

Guy Mann posted:

LOL if you actually read Poptart Fairy posts.

Whose bitter re-reg are you.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 21:36 on May 30, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Why don't you quote the posts then? I'm the guy he originally flipped his poo poo at.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, I dunno how anyone can play through NML and not come away hating both armies. Read some of the notices posted on the hanging people, the Nilfgaardians aren't exactly progressive. (btw they practice slavery) (also everyone is starving because one army or another stole all the food) (also unprovoked war of conquest)

Here is where it starts, by the way. Enjoy the 'flipping out' that doesn't actually happen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Also, I shouldn't have called you guys neocons, what's really bothering me is the explicit fascism. When did this board turn into 4chan?

This thread is full of neocons.

You are the worst liberal.

These are the words of a rational man.

That discussion was silly all around. Lets not go pretending the dev had some sort of higher calm over it.

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, nah, I'm keeping this:

Nah. He was responding to poo poo like

Still amazed the guy's been on SA this long but took a gimmick poster seriously.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 21:49 on May 30, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I don't care about any of that.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poptart_fairy posted:

These are the words of a rational man.
They actually are, if you don't realize that right-wing views are objectively harmful and wrong you're part of the problem.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Witcher has never struck me as taking national sides like we all love to as players. It says war is bad, soldiers on the march are bad, famine is bad, pogroms are bad, tyrants are bad. Not 'oh Nilfgaard gets +1 for women in the civil service but -3 for Roman slavery but +1 for...'

Also there is no form of feudalism that is tolerable to a civilised society (hi Saudi Arabia). That doesn't mean we have to read Lord of the Rings hoping for a popular revolution to overthrow Aragorn, or lecture Ciri on Destinysplaining or whatever.

Strategic Tea has a new favorite as of 22:04 on May 30, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stuntman posted:

They actually are, if you don't realize that right-wing views are objectively harmful and wrong you're part of the problem.

You can realize the views expressed by that gimmick poster are silly, while also acknowledging that falling for the bait and responding to them in a sincere manner is also pretty daft.

I dunno man, you're angry enough to break a month's silence in the thread over this so :shrug:

Strategic Tea posted:

Witcher has never struck me as taking national sides like we all love to as players. It says war is bad, soldiers on the march are bad, famine is bad, pogroms are bad, tyrants are bad. Not 'oh Nilfgaard gets +1 for women in the civil service but -3 for Roman slavery but +1 for...'

Yeah, that was why I was bit weirded out the developer got snippy about me seeing both sides as equally terrible. On one side we have rapists and thieves that started a war, and on the other we have rapists and thieves who backstabbed their allies during said war. The series lacks discretion but it always has; the first :siren: big moral choice :siren: back in the first game was to rescue a woman from implied rape or leave her to it. The overall writing has gotten much, much better but the actual moral side of the games still errs a bit too heavily on the grimdark side of things at times.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Niilfgaaaarrd itself seems like a pretty sweet place to live compared to the hellhole northern kingdoms but the invading rape army is def a teething problem

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just order the soldiers not to rape people, boom problem solved.

Geralt does his mind control thing on everyone "no raping"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Put some posters up around campus.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What were they? I swear, one day I'll replay 1 but I just don't have the time even for the games I haven't beaten, rather less the ones that I did years back.

Strategic Tea posted:

Eredin stalks you by projection and tries to freak you out I think.

Also there's an innkeeper who tell the story of Ciri. To which Geralt replies 'princess, sorceress and a witcher? Isn't that a bit much?' :v:

Yeah, Eredin shows up in an optional quest at in the first chapter of the first game (and a couple more points including the finale) and then there's the bartender convo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzO5AQn_tI

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I remember once when I was exploring other Z-levels and I found the old Jurassic Station or whatever. I was accosted and charged by a man-eating plant, which was unfortunate because I was in the process of setting my jetpack aside to wear and organize my backpack full of exploration gear. I was able to scramble out the airlock, hastily opening internals on my backup emergency oxytank as I went, but the thing sprinted through the void and tackled me. I looked Death in the eye and let out a single, defiant fart, which scooted me a tile to the right, out of the maneater's grasp.

After a split second of stunned inaction on both our parts, there ensued a merry chase as I frantically farted my way in a hasty orbit around the station, pursued all the while by a ravenous spacefaring plant monster. I ultimately managed to gain enough of a lead to fart myself back into the airlock and slam it closed. Then I got stung by a space wasp and the round ended while I lay on the floor drooling and passing in and out of consciousness. The End.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Witcher 3 is an amazing game. Especially for small things: I really love how the forest and wilderness look real and makes sense. I can't think of any other game where their forest's were as densely populated with trees and wildlife as this game.

Also I finished a mission in the new expansion that had me protect a nobleman as he witnessed wildlife to paint them later, he had a head mounted machine that took pictures. One of his paintings was clearly the best one:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh poo poo it's out?

Uh boss I'm feeling a little ill

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Witcher 3 has seriously my favorite moments in games ever. The entire Ladies of the Wood questline was amazing, the Whispering Hillock, Johnny, Forefathers' Eve, getting drunk with my sad witcherbros and putting on a dress. Polish VA is usually trash in games, but here everything was on point. Also loved the little epilogue you actually play after defeating the big ugly whatever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was sold on the Witcher the moment you get drunk with some sketchy army guys and wake up with a loving horrible neck tattoo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was sold on the Witcher the moment you get drunk with some sketchy army guys and wake up with a loving horrible neck tattoo.

The scene in witcher 3 where you get wasted with your witcher pals is the hardest I've laughed at a game in forever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Witcher 3 has seriously my favorite moments in games ever. The entire Ladies of the Wood questline was amazing, the Whispering Hillock, Johnny, Forefathers' Eve, getting drunk with my sad witcherbros and putting on a dress. Polish VA is usually trash in games, but here everything was on point. Also loved the little epilogue you actually play after defeating the big ugly whatever.

The different epilogue's really save what would have otherwise been the lamest ending ever.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MiddleOne posted:

The different epilogue's really save what would have otherwise been the lamest ending ever.

Yeah, after the climax I was bracing myself for a huge disappointment, but then the actual ending was about saying goodbye and it was perfect (got the one where Ciri becomes the Empress)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I'm playing through Bully for the first time and in the boys dorm there's an arcade game that's a decently fun top down Death Rally style racing shooter.

Later on in the game there's a quest that I think might be fully optional where the reward is your own lighthouse crib off campus. I visited it for the first time and saw a much cooler version of the arcade game from the dorm, this one with a seat and wheel and I noticed the name on the side now says "3D". I play it and it's exactly the same game from the dorm but now in full 3D Wave Runner style graphics.

Its a really fun mini game and as far as I can tell there's no prompting in the game that you can play them at all until you try.
I'm pretty sure it's really the exact same game, except the camera's fixed above your vehicle in one version and follows it from behind in the other.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MiddleOne posted:

I never bothered to look it up, but didn't know there were different endings for Ciri, just figured there were different ones for romances and politics stuff.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Abugadu posted:

I never bothered to look it up, but didn't know there were different endings for Ciri, just figured there were different ones for romances and politics stuff.

Mine was telling the emperor she died then it's revealed that she's becoming a witcher and Geralt and Yennefer (or Triss I guess if you want her but Yennefer is better) are living happily ever after doing whatever they do on that horse.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

or Triss I guess if you want her but Yennefer is better

Team Triss forever. She's been helping me out for two games and I'm supposed to drop her like a hot potato once the other comes along? COME ON SON

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In the newest DLC for the Witcher 3 has a reference to the oldest novel recorded in the opening: The opening scene has a knight charging at a windmill. But it actually turns out to be giant just behind it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The first boss of the Antitower dungeon in Final Fantasy XIV is a giant singing frog, Frog Song being a recurring ability in the series. He summons smaller frogs during the fight that sing too, and they sing bits of The Rainbow Connection. "The lovers!" "The dreamers!"

The patch that contains this dungeon came out around about the time that David Bowie passed away. The second boss of The Antitower is named Ziggy and summons giant glowing rocks called Stardust.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Samovar posted:

In the newest DLC for the Witcher 3 has a reference to the oldest novel recorded in the opening: The opening scene has a knight charging at a windmill. But it actually turns out to be giant just behind it.

First European novel. The Tale of Genji predates it by about five hundred years :eng101:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My favorite part of witcher 3 might have been breaking dijkstra's leg. On one hand it was a total accident, the dialogue text doesn't let you see it coming. On the other hand he was an rear end in a top hat.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

owl_pellet posted:

Team Triss forever. She's been helping me out for two games and I'm supposed to drop her like a hot potato once the other comes along? COME ON SON

Triss took advantage of Geralt while he didn't have his memory. She's a monster! Yennefer is bae and she don't take poo poo from anyone.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yennefer was awesome and people that don't like her tend to be assholes.

She's win win.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Yennefer was a bitch. First off, weird name. Secondly Triss is a redhead. Automatic win.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Yennefer was a bitch. First off, weird name. Secondly Triss is a redhead. Automatic win.

Literally every terrible person in history was a redhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Literally every terrible person in history was a redhead.

I'm not disputing that at all.