Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

DStecks posted:

Trying to get into Endless Legend has revealed that what I really want is Stellaris, but for fantasy instead of Sci-Fi. I just find all the of the factions kinda less than interesting, and it's always them in every game. Stellaris definitely solved the "Oh hey it's the Drengin" problem, and it would be amazing to see that applied to a fantasy setting somehow.

I really agree about the factions--having randomly-generated factions is so much more compelling to me than the typical 4X faction system. I started a new game as my spiritualist-militarist-xenophile humans and through sheer luck was surrounded by several other spiritualist factions, who were in turn surrounded by a bunch of hostile materialists. Our whole sector of the galaxy's now turned into this big ideological struggle that I don't think would have been possible in other 4X's that would have just had one "religious guy faction" and one "rationalist science guy" faction.

Not to mention the effect it has on exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

As said, you don't have to buy the DLC and I never felt that I needed it to get the complete experience. Quite the opposite, in fact.

But I kind of agree with the other part, when you're changing the game that much and that late in its cycle, even for the better, maybe it's better to just start with a blank slate instead of Frankensteining it. Bring on EUV. Sometimes you just want to return to a game you already know instead of having to relearn everything. Yes, a lot of that is due to laziness, but there you go.

that's mostly it, i just want the goddamn game to stop being developed so i can finally play the "final" release. Just get on with EU5 at this point.

meanwhile RELEASE ROME 2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Every once in a while I'll buy a bunch of older DLC because it's on sale for dirt cheap, and when I go to play I just have to stop, because it's not the latest version. I get a real annoying psychological thing where I just can't enjoy myself if I know I'm missing a part of the experience, even if the game is already perfectly acceptable as-is. Then I look at the price to buy everything else, and I give up on playing. That cycle repeated itself for a while and eventually I just stopped because I realized I was never actually playing the game.

This is also why I'm never around these threads anymore despite being one of the most prolific posters for years. I enjoyed EU4 at launch and then just sort of fell off the wagon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

TBH I don't want to see fantasy Paradox since it would be really similar to their historicals

I'm having lots of fun taking orc lands and burning out the green filth in the CK2 Warhammer mod but wouldn't it be more fun if it didn't run like poo poo and the magic system wasn't cobbled together out of traits and piety. I would totally buy a fantasy paradox game, including the the 2-3 dlcs needed to make necromancers playable and fix Snakemen snaking

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

RentACop posted:

I'm having lots of fun taking orc lands and burning out the green filth in the CK2 Warhammer mod but wouldn't it be more fun if it didn't run like poo poo and the magic system wasn't cobbled together out of traits and piety. I would totally buy a fantasy paradox game, including the the 2-3 dlcs needed to make necromancers playable and fix Snakemen snaking

:same:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Drone posted:

Stellaris's not-100%-perfect launch burnt a lot of people tremendously hard, apparently. After all, that game is literally unplayable!

Literally!

the stellaris thread prior to launch was loving hilarious. people were working themselves up into a lather posting about mechanics and features that they were looking forward to that weren't in the game, making spreadsheets with little morsels of information gleaned from streams, writing pages of lore about their snowflake Tortossian Empires, and when I had the temerity to point out that maybe the collective enthusiasm could use some curbing I was, predicably, called an idiot.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sharzak posted:

the stellaris thread prior to launch was loving hilarious. people were working themselves up into a lather posting about mechanics and features that they were looking forward to that weren't in the game, making spreadsheets with little morsels of information gleaned from streams, writing pages of lore about their snowflake Tortossian Empires, and when I had the temerity to point out that maybe the collective enthusiasm could use some curbing I was, predicably, called an idiot.

you're very cool, my man

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sharzak posted:

well i for one am glad you found a way to feel superior to everyone

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't post in the thread before release so I'm superior to him

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I've said it before but I just think it was weird to not give Stellaris a little more time in the oven when Pdox was launching a major title a month later. Most of what people complained about would've probably been fixed if it got a Q4 release IMO.

I feel like people got way too over invested in it though. Like it's cool a good chunk of the dev team posts here but if they can endure code reviews they can ensure shitposting, and if you hated it $40 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things and if it is such a colossal dent in your disposable income you should probably wait for a sale or consider a cheaper hobby.

Well Paradox did go public today and and opened 36 percent above the signing price, a lot of the hype for the IPO have came from the Stellaris sales and expectations for HOI IV. Which makes me quite happy as a stockowner but displeased as a fan since it feels quite cynical.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
As a employee, stockholder and fan I am just plain happy.
Then again I usually am happy no matter what.

e: Except when people use tanks, because tanks are a waste

Groogy fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 31, 2016

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I love this argument because it never ends. I'm glad you feel superior to him, and now I feel superior to you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I love this argument because it never ends. I'm glad you feel superior to him, and now I feel superior to you.

Good for you, Hitler

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

GrossMurpel posted:

And me, having not posted, feel superior to both of you.

e; wait,

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 31, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Well I don't feel superior to anyone :smuggo:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Darn conformist!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What's the reasoning behind taking out the mini map in hoi 4? If you want to get to China from England it's 3 actions (scroll out scroll east scroll in) and a lot more time than before.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

those precious few seconds are really going to hurt my APM in a pauseable game

Seriously though, I hadn't noticed that there's no minimap before, and would like to know the reasoning behind it too. But maybe my not noticing that it was gone says something about how often I actually ever looked at it.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's the reasoning behind taking out the mini map in hoi 4? If you want to get to China from England it's 3 actions (scroll out scroll east scroll in) and a lot more time than before.

i don't think i've actually properly used the minimap in any paradox game ever, it's just something i don't even think about it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I just remember how confused I was with the CK1 minimap, with blue land and orange seas.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The minimap is there to hold all the map mode buttons. Without it you'd be stuck in terrain mode forever

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What's Paradox's ticker? I can't seem to find its IPO listing on my brokerage.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Drone posted:

those precious few seconds are really going to hurt my APM in a pauseable game

Seriously though, I hadn't noticed that there's no minimap before, and would like to know the reasoning behind it too. But maybe my not noticing that it was gone says something about how often I actually ever looked at it.

Multiplayer :getin:

e: in seriousness watching the WWW between Germany and Britain eventually Germany's sheer size meant the player was missing bad things happening to him in quite a few places, where the British player had fewer things to focus on. Minimaps are good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ThePutty posted:

i don't think i've actually properly used the minimap in any paradox game ever, it's just something i don't even think about it

Hearts of Iron is the one where you are most likely to need to see what's going on in another continent 9 time zones away.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Its not needed for a few reasons:
- the reason to look at china is because you have units there most likely, in which case you just click on the army icosn on the right and camera goes there
- you can bookmark areas of interest which makes going there faster (if you dont have troops there)
- zooming out, then in rapidly is really fast and more precise than trying to hit a tiny minimap
- you get area alerts which (you guessed it) you can just quickly go to by clicking.

Generally right clickign anythign with a location (like units in the unit list) in the game will move camera there.

Usually its something new betas go "where is my minimap!" then after a while realise they dont need. we might end up adding one as optional in a patch just because, but its not needed at all.

Obliterati posted:

e: in seriousness watching the WWW between Germany and Britain eventually Germany's sheer size meant the player was missing bad things happening to him in quite a few places, where the British player had fewer things to focus on. Minimaps are good.

I dont see how a traditional paradox minimap would help here. you still need to jump around and actually look at stuff. This is also one of the challenges of playing MP, because player attention can not be everywhere and paused you can do sneaky stuff.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

podcat posted:

Its not needed for a few reasons:
- the reason to look at china is because you have units there most likely, in which case you just click on the army icosn on the right and camera goes there
- you can bookmark areas of interest which makes going there faster (if you dont have troops there)
- zooming out, then in rapidly is really fast and more precise than trying to hit a tiny minimap
- you get area alerts which (you guessed it) you can just quickly go to by clicking.

Generally right clickign anythign with a location (like units in the unit list) in the game will move camera there.

Usually its something new betas go "where is my minimap!" then after a while realise they dont need. we might end up adding one as optional in a patch just because, but its not needed at all.

I dont see how a traditional paradox minimap would help here. you still need to jump around and actually look at stuff. This is also one of the challenges of playing MP, because player attention can not be everywhere and paused you can do sneaky stuff.

I'm just coming from having played a lot of EU IV MP where the challenges are similar (but presumably less?) and being able to jump around with a click is what's important: I suppose we'll see how this pans out but you have certainly listed a lot of other ways to do that than a minimap so if they work well it could be fine?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I use the minimap in EU4 all the time. Then again my scroll wheel is half broken so it takes me like 10 times longer to scroll out than it should.

I even remember there was a minimap in some of the dev diaries or something, it had areas shaded for night and day right?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I only use the minimap when the game scrolls away should I alt-tab.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I need the Stellaris Minimap.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i don't understand why the maps need to be increasingly detailed and high-gpu-requiring. all you need for ww2 is a paper map with a big swastika over the enemy

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
the swastika marks my dudes actually

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wooper posted:

the swastika marks my dudes actually

the hindu swastika

but seriously, for all its flaws hoi3 looks really nice and i don't see why they needed to add a bunch of fancy terrain stuff nobody will look at

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 31, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

PDX on the Stockholm exchange, looks like

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

but seriously, for all its flaws hoi3 looks really nice and i don't see why they needed to add a bunch of fancy terrain stuff nobody will look at

What, the terrain features on the main map? It's so you don't a)have to switch map modes to check the terrain or b)ignore it completely because doing a is :effort:

It's good in my opinion, same with weather.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

the hindu swastika

HOI3 looks awful.

Look at that flaccid little florida. and that cancerous maine.

yes i know this was later patched to look less awful

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drone posted:

HOI3 looks awful.

i meant the map look itself. i think it's neat and fits the theme

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

Pdx, but if you are American I don't think we are listed there.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think the HoI IV map is gorgeous and I like looking at pretty things.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

i meant the map look itself. i think it's neat and fits the theme

It takes up space and is just a place to stick the mapmode buttons, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Empress Theonora posted:

I think the HoI IV map is gorgeous and I like looking at pretty things.

the concern here is system requirements for people without the latest bells, whistles, droogs, etc.

Drone posted:

HOI3 looks awful.

ur map is sick :(