Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Empress Theonora posted:

I think the HoI IV map is gorgeous and I like looking at pretty things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
pdox games used to be great for laptops but now they are not

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Paradox, please just make your next war game a glorified .xlsx sheet or something. I mean it all just boils down to the actual numbers anyway so why waste time with the other crap?

The functions you can create nowadays allow for some really complex calculations and tabulation.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

lmbo now pdx games look too good?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Groogy posted:

Pdx, but if you are American I don't think we are listed there.

Welp, there goes my one shot at actually participating in the stock market.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Sorry, blame your laws. The same laws that makes everyone think an IPO is the end of the world.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Paradox, please just make your next war game a glorified .xlsx sheet or something. I mean it all just boils down to the actual numbers anyway so why waste time with the other crap?

The functions you can create nowadays allow for some really complex calculations and tabulation.

you know vicky is my favorite series right

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

the concern here is system requirements for people without the latest bells, whistles, droogs, etc.

RAM is cheap, ssds are cheap, a five year old intel core cpu will do the job, as will a mid range gpu from a couple of years ago.

Why, again, are you pcgaming?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Groogy posted:

Sorry, blame your laws. The same laws that makes everyone think an IPO is the end of the world.

This is easily solved. Tell your CEO to look into an ADR agreement.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Koesj posted:

RAM is cheap, ssds are cheap, a five year old intel core cpu will do the job, as will a mid range gpu from a couple of years ago.

Not to mention that it was seven years since the last Hearts of Iron game. You'll have a lot of time for hardware that's top-of-the-range today to become bargain-basement.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I suppose a legacy/basic 2d graphics mode would be a nice thing to have, but the main stress paradox games give is in the simulation rather than the visual front. RAM and CPU are much more important.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Late-game Stellaris runs fine on an 8 year old rig with a 4 year old GPU (I tested it on my backup system). Let's not exaggerate Clausewitz system requirements, please.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

For me, most of the game is staring at a map.

Ideally, I want that map to be as pretty as possible.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koesj posted:

if only we could all be part of the Glorious PC Master Race...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I play EU4 on my play station

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I play Stellaris on my Surface.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I play Vicky 3 on my abacus

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Hi I've been playing strategy games for a long time now but have never played any of the Paradox titles. Can anyone recommend me a good DLC to start with? Thanks in advance.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

To be 100% honest one of the reasons I would like a 2D interface is because I also have a slight preference for 2D graphics.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Remake Victoria: Revolutions with a modern UI (but still 2D and still using the old Europa engine).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Decrepus posted:

Hi I've been playing strategy games for a long time now but have never played any of the Paradox titles. Can anyone recommend me a good DLC to start with? Thanks in advance.

Which of these figures appeals most to you?

Tywin Lannister -> Play CK2
King Louis XVI of France -> EU4
Rommel/Patton/Eisenhower -> wait 1 week for HoI4
Captain Picard/Kirk* -> Stellaris

*If you like Kirk, you might want to give CK2 a second look too.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
:thejoke:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

EU4 is probably the most solid game that's similar to traditional strategy games; CK2 is a bit stranger. Don't worry about DLC/expansions for either until you decide if you like the core game. In EU4, start as a large country, like the Ottomans or France; in CK2, start as someone smaller, like an Irish count. Have fun!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Stellaris is probably the most approachable Paradox game, but it's a bit light on substance at the moment so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it over their other games yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think he should start with Darkest Hour

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Start with Svea Rike.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Europa Universalis the board game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Start with Svea Rike.

i still think it's bizarre that two thrones used the eu1 engine. we were well past eu2's release by that time

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Your opinion on strategy games don't matter until you've played Svea Rike. Heck I was newly born when I first played it. Yall newbs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Groogy posted:

Your opinion on strategy games don't matter until you've played Svea Rike. Heck I was newly born when I first played it. Yall newbs

i'm far more qualified to discuss ww2 than you

for one thing, i think tanks existed

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tanks are real

The T-34 is real, and strong, and he is my friend

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
c'mon, everyone knows tanks existed. the real question is, did assault guns?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They were banned at Nuremberg.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

i'm far more qualified to discuss ww2 than you

for one thing, i think tanks existed

Lol, k.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This meme is pretty goddamn sweet you guys and I hope it never dies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also a published historian

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

also a published historian

So published? Not like those comes a dime in a dosin (did I use the proverb right?) what did you publish that is relevant to ww2?

I was 21 when I published books on game development.. Does that make me an expert on the subject?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Groogy posted:

So published? Not like those comes a dime in a dosin (did I use the proverb right?) what did you publish that is relevant to ww2?

I was 21 when I published books on game development.. Does that make me an expert on the subject?

Nope

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
groogy has been melting down for a long time now huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Ofaloaf posted:

Start with Svea Rike.