Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

Star citizen gives the middle-finger to the scamsole market and just goes for it

:psyduck:

e: robocattes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We still telling war stories? My Grand-Uncle got put in a Norwegian concentration-camp and was later sent to Bergen-Belsen for being part of the Communist-resistance here in Norway. He died there and the really poo poo part is he wasn't actually part of the group, only friends with a couple of the guys. While he was a Communist he was also a cop and figured he could do more good in that job by finding ways to not follow orders to the full from the people in charge. There were people escaping to Sweden that he never reported among other things.
Also, his wife, my Grand-Aunt stole a drunk German officer's cap while he was passed out at a pub. I hope I someday inherit that bastard thing cause it's become legendary in the family.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've got nothing to say on the ToS anymore - it stands for itself. I'm just eagerly awaiting Smart's 10 blogs, 100 tweets, discord speech to all 13 people.. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foB74wm6jM&t=172s

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

i haven't checked this thread since this became it's own subforum but came in here today and listened to this with no context

the gently caress is this?!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
One of my grandfathers was an american soldier who got my uk gran pregnant during ww2. She was told by US mil that he had died when really hed gone back home to his american wife. We found this out about 10 years ago and he died weeks before my mum was travelling to meet him for the first time. I do not honor his memory.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
The problem cultists have: if it's "unfair" to review a game that isn't finished, and never will be finished, then you have to review it as it currently is right then and there. You can't say "it'll be a GREAT game when it's finished!" because Chris said it will never be finished, it will always be iterated and updated. You also can't say "It'll be a GREAT game in another decade, you just have to give it time!" because that's giving it a free pass for the moment and still expecting people to pony up money. If a company gives a player poo poo, they won't take comfort knowing that in a few years it will be good, at least if they aren't a brain dead moron they won't.

Think if professional gaming outlets (lol) held off reviewing games like World of Warcraft, EVE, or any other online game because they have planned expansions or content ideas years ahead, it's unthinkable. A game has to get reviewed sometime, and there's only so long you can put it off with excuses like "it's alpha", "it's baby pee-yew", "it isn't finished yet", etc.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

i haven't checked this thread since this became it's own subforum but came in here today and listened to this with no context

the gently caress is this?!

Like movie monsters, it's better the less you know about it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is this the E.L.E.? Is it happening yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkUzpMc_el0

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hottubrhymemachine posted:

One of my grandfathers was an american soldier who got my uk gran pregnant during ww2. She was told by US mil that he had died when really hed gone back home to his american wife. We found this out about 10 years ago and he died weeks before my mum was travelling to meet him for the first time. I do not honor his memory.

I don't know how I feel about that.

Super scummy thing to do.

Congratulations on your surprise family though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Toops posted:

Weekly Update. Finally got Solar Plebeian's first Toops-made animated interactive cockpit in-game.

Features of this cockpit:

- Animated UI elements that may or may not behave correctly
- Has some fidelity for sure
- Full customized BIOS POST boot sequence from the future
- 1980's cassette tape deck
- Detailed system and sub-system analysis, meters, things
- Rack and Pinion Steering
- USE button
- Call Your Parents button
- Palm-slam a tape into tape deck button
- Passenger side air-bags
- Engine, Boost, Coolant options
- Motorized cup holders
- Waste system flush button
- Tilt
- pgabz
- Crowdfunding chart
- Fidelity system status
- More?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FucIzBxwN9k

I need some ideas for what cassette tapes to make available. Full Burn is an obvious choice.

I'm catching up but wanted to say this is awesome :3:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus posted:

Star citizen gives the middle-finger to the scamsole market and just goes for it

PC Master Race nerds are the worst nerds on the planet. Shitizens are just a subset of them.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

There was a pretty comprehensive GBS thread about it as well that I can't seem to find, so it might be lurking in the bowels of the gas chamber. If anyone with a working search can find it, it does a good job of showing how the whole thing unfolded. (It was started by Lowtax because Shmorky's ex decided to target the Tax's during part of her breakdown and was accusing them of some pretty terrible things)

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Wafflz posted:

PC Master Race nerds are the worst nerds on the planet. Shitizens are just a subset of them.

****izens.

Attacking a company for releasing a product on multiple platforms with fair critical and commercial success, while the one you champion has a "product" which is still a glitchy unplayable mess. Classic.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Palisader posted:

There was a pretty comprehensive GBS thread about it as well that I can't seem to find, so it might be lurking in the bowels of the gas chamber. If anyone with a working search can find it, it does a good job of showing how the whole thing unfolded. (It was started by Lowtax because Shmorky's ex decided to target the Tax's during part of her breakdown and was accusing them of some pretty terrible things)

This is it.

Be warned though, it gets worse and worse the deeper you go, culminating in that recording.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

My grandma was in a Japanese concentration camp in Indonesia while my grandad had managed to escape to Africa. My dads eldest brother was born in the concentration camp. The plan was apparently to put all the prisoners in a boat and then torpedo the boat, but just before this happened the bombs got dropped on Japan and they surrendered, so I probably wouldn't be alive had the nukes not been dropped. The Red Cross reunited them in Africa after the war, which was nice

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Grandad was shot and pumped full of morphine for the pain, where he was in Africa poo poo was hitting the fan big time and they used dead bodies as makeshift walls, like sandbags. My grandad was put into one of these walls, presumed dead. Then a few hours later someone notices his arm moving, they drag him out and he survived, got sent home.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
TLDR grandads are sometimes badass

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
If we're telling grandad stories my grandad was a doctor in the war. He treated an injured nazi soldier who called him a dirty jew.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KiddieGrinder posted:

The problem cultists have: if it's "unfair" to review a game that isn't finished, and never will be finished, then you have to review it as it currently is right then and there. You can't say "it'll be a GREAT game when it's finished!" because Chris said it will never be finished, it will always be iterated and updated. You also can't say "It'll be a GREAT game in another decade, you just have to give it time!" because that's giving it a free pass for the moment and still expecting people to pony up money. If a company gives a player poo poo, they won't take comfort knowing that in a few years it will be good, at least if they aren't a brain dead moron they won't.

Think if professional gaming outlets (lol) held off reviewing games like World of Warcraft, EVE, or any other online game because they have planned expansions or content ideas years ahead, it's unthinkable. A game has to get reviewed sometime, and there's only so long you can put it off with excuses like "it's alpha", "it's baby pee-yew", "it isn't finished yet", etc.
They've managed to get themselves into quite the pickle. Their stretch goals on Kickstarter went up to $6million. So far, they've taken in nearly twenty times that amount. If they do have enough money to finish, you'd have to be insane to buy in at this point as you'll be paying for the privelige of beta testing for them in a ridiculously buggy "game." If they haven't got enough money to finish, you'd arguably be even more insane to invest in a company that can't get their product made even with twenty times their predicted maximum budget. That's without even getting into the issue of how any videogame can possibly provide hundreds, even thousands, of dollars worth of entertainment. No unbiased reviewer could possibly look at Star Citizen right now and conclude it's a good idea to buy "pledge."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
For those who missed the latest Guard Frequency episode, they took a lot of listener feedback from the Derek Smart interview. And as usual, they handled it all in an applaudably even-handed manner. I suspect even the most devout members of the Faith Militant would agree that it was pretty balanced. They certainly included more than enough insults against Derek as a person and a game developer to satisfy the vengeance longings of the denizens of /dereksmart.

Guard Frequency didn't read complete letters, just excerpts from a great many. The last quote in their medley was a short excerpt from the letter I submitted below. It's a bit sloppy (I wrote it on my phone in a rush), but I think it included some decent points.

The caller feedback starts a little after 41 minutes in.

quote:

Your interview with Derek Smart came as quite a surprise to me. He is a lightning rod in the backer community and I hope you weren't electrocuted by holding on to it for 90 minutes. It took a lot of courage and I applaud you for it. I expect you've heard an earful about Derek's sins as troll and failings as a developer. We all have. How strange it seems that the claims of a supposedly irrelevant, mediocre hack have been given so much attention, yet so little scrutiny has been given to the claims of Chris Roberts. He is, after all, the man making the game we all wanted, right?

---

• Over four years ago, Chris Roberts claimed that he wanted to make the kind of Space Sim that Publishers would never dare fund, and in response, Roberts was given the greatest gift in gaming history-- a war chest of $114 million dollars, absolute creative control, with no oversight and no deadlines.

• Chris Roberts claimed he would build "a huge universe to explore, trade and adventure in", yet four years later, he's given us one planet that we can not land on and nothing to trade beyond Big Benny's machines.

• Chris Roberts claimed Star Citizen would offer an FPS experience as good or better than Battlefield and Arma-- yet after 4 years in, players routinely find themselves unloading a clip into an opponent at point blank range to no effect whatsoever. There are no cover mechanics, no squad coordination, and no means to distinguish friend from foe.

• Chris Roberts claimed both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen would be VR compatible-- and yet he has rendered it impossible with forced player animations, headbobs, and slow frame rates even on advanced GPUs. VR won't be retrofitted onto this game, it can't be.

---

I could go on, yet surely the point is obvious-- Chris Roberts is not credible. Period. He has missed nearly every release date he himself set. He has delivered the tiniest fraction of what he pitched. Much of the rest may be technically impossible.

PROGRESS TO DATE AGAINST STATED GOALS IS A MORE RELIABLE PREDICTOR OF FUTURE RESULTS

Less than than 1/3 of the ships he has thusfar sold are available to fly after 4 years. Out of supposedly 100 Star Systems planned, we can currently explore one incomplete system without a star. But there is nothing to find beyond rudimentary "go here, do (X), and leave" quests. Let's be charitable and say we are somehow halfway through the development cycle for Star Citizen 1.0 and that the game will be finished within another 4.5 years. Does anyone really believe the funding will continue another 4.5 years? Or that a game begun in 2012 will be compelling in 2020?

Derek Smart has said many of these things for nearly a year. In that time, he's also had some meltdowns, taken some cheap shots, he has dared CIG to sue him, and has done a lot I could never defend. But what can I say? He's Derek Smart. Yet at this point, he's has proven more credible in his critiques of Star Citizen than Chris Roberts has in his predictions for it. Rather than decrying Smart for his trollish moments, his warlord battle cries, it seems to me time that backers should start asking harder questions of Chris Roberts. He is the one with $114 million dollars. He has the one signed "The Pledge", which began, "We, the Star Citizen Team at Cloud Imperium, hereby promise to deliver the game you expect."

It's 4.5 years in, and considering all the work left to do, it's looking pretty grim. It will look grimmer still in the months ahead, because those creativity-killing publishers Chris Roberts decried have some AAA space titles slated for release. Star Citizen will be judged against "Mass Effect: Andromeda", "No Man's Sky" and of course the ever improving "Elite". Bethesda's long secret "Starfield" project shouldn't be underestimated, either. They've planning planning a go at a Space RPG since 1996-- and, well, they've learned quite a bit in 20 years. "Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare" will present similar challenges for "Squadron 42". Both are hybrid space dogfighters with FPS. Both have Hollywood casts and motion captured dramas. The one with a multiplayer mode loved by 15 million or more people will ship this fall. The other will likely be delayed into 2017. Or later.

This is our present reality - a marketplace once bereft of Space Games is now filling up with them, and some look drat exciting to me. None had the budget or the freedom Chris Roberts has had with Star Citizen. It's time to ask him harder questions, and if not, to ask ourselves why we can not."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm actually kind of scared that CIG won't go out with a boom.

What if they just lay off a hundred or so employees, consolidate into one or two studios, and just coast for a long time? Just kind of slowly fizzling out over a long period of time.

Ugh. I want total collapse.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

What if they just lay off a hundred or so employees, consolidate into one or two studios, and just coast for a long time? Just kind of slowly fizzling out over a long period of time.

I'm pretty sure this is what is going to happen.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't want to think about Shmorky's problems, I really enjoyed the Gaming Garbage videos he did with Lowtax so I'll try and remember him as that cartoon character escaped into the real world. Instead, let's celebrate grandads who survived the war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RofxnTIYsYE

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Apparently I am a sad panda?

:D

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

People bad mouthing Star Citizen

Brown Hornet - Completionist $15000+

Name one game developer who's ever let the general public see this much behind the scenes and sausage making before

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Remember guys, the guy responsible for ship balance is Calix & if he can balance the ships half as well as he balances his too-small fedora on his head the game is in good hands...

Also: There was a family disturbance this weekend that precluded Cat Birthdays, so they've been rescheduled. Good think the fuzzy assholes can't read the calendar!

Soooooo, two weeks on that. I've got the annual hats folded & ready to go.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

KiddieGrinder posted:

This is it.

Be warned though, it gets worse and worse the deeper you go, culminating in that recording.

shes out of the crazyhouse and went on SS to post. Went deep into her sex life with schmorky. It involves diapers and roleplay....

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Mirificus posted:

$15K on a video game that doesn't exist. It will never ceases to amaze me.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A voice of reason regarding E3

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

NTGhost posted:

Game Dev looks like some other kind of software dev.
Hardware device dev has less to no software dev in it. firmware is mostly cookie cutter like blocks of ASM code.
"normal" software dev has some System Specs and Hardware specs and many proof of concepts how to made things properly done. Databases, middleware, GUI, Office software. there is also almost no research.

Game dev however, New types of Game in particular, is mostly unknown, no mans land.
Especially if you try something new on tech side. That risk almost no publisher is willing to take. For good reasons on economic side.
Chris instead has choose this kind of founding for exact this reason in both ways.
He simple has no idea, if this what he try here, will even work at all! This is something that MANY Backers plain have not in mind if they pledge here. He choose this crowdfunding because he can try it anyway cause THERE IS NO ONE THEY WILL STOP HIM!
This Project can even now fail due tech reasons. But i'm sure Chris will try it till the very last moment.

This was also the reason why they choose the cryengine. cause they THOUGTH this engine will made it and discover later, they don't. but at this point they has already made the contract with Crytek and has the people in there team.
The amount of time they need to write a new engine was the same as rewrite the one they already has, PLUS the risk of new unknown problems and Reseach they have to made for this. PLUS they already have the experts and Autor (! You plain can't have a better one) of the crytek engine in there team. So they carry on and rewrite it and there was no publisher they can pull the plug of it. (and somewhere means that he think that nearly all P. has done this on this point).
They also build up a company from scratch with 4 studios around the world.
Another point was...they have literary no idea how to made this, what they want to made done, there was no proof of concept, no system specs, no legacy there can build on. And, so far i understand this game segment was nearly dead because what they wanted to try or what they thougth it would be succsesfull, was plain not possible due to the limitation of 32bit. And after all these years no one was willing to try it, after the 64bit era has begin to rise. Even CCP hast promise a "FPS mode" and till Valkrye, they never deliver.
Expect Chris.
Do you recognized that after 2012 suddenly a bunch of Game came out with exactly this? That suddenly CCP start to developed Valkriye? They all was woke up because of him, of his rocketing kick starter Campaign and they realized that we, the Crowd, WANTED such games. Now they try to be the first of this new era and suck the player up they are dissatisfaction with CR.

Item System 2.0...2.0...that means there was a 1.0. And then, they have made a new one. somewhere in these endless hours of Videos they explain why. i don't known where. but it has a reason i understand.

Procedural Planets also, there was no one before 2012. they have to made this on there own. if you look at the "Demoscene" and you known what "Only written in ASM" means...you have a very little bit of glimpse of what insane stunt they try to pull of in Frankfurt or every other guy they stated "it's procedural generated". I can't plain think of any other way to do this expect in any kind of Assembler.

All these things was made "into the blue" with no guarantee of success nor any kind of proof of concepts or Design guide you can maybe follow. So its naturally that they have to redoing things. and that's only the Tech side.

Also on the Design side. Only CR has a clear Picture of his "Vision" he has in mind. and if you go through all the Jump point issues and Vault picture and the Subscribe Den. You see how they try to find the "right" look of things. And these cost also a big amount of money and Man hours. There is plain no "constrution" plan like an office suite or Network device. You have to made it and THEN you see if it fits in. If you have on tech side the same problem...x^2 is simple, x^y is endless, you known what i mean?

They have now a Ship Pipeline, a design guide for them, that make these things easier and all the "old" ships have to redesign along this guide. That's one reason why they was redesign. in some cases (300 series i think) they discovers that the design was bad on tech side so they have to change even the design guide. "they can make plans and "construct" that" what plans you will made? there is no proof of concept of fictional Space crafts. There are no examples how to made this properly. So they have to jump into the cold water and look what will work.

There is no complexity:
There IS complexity. Grab a ship, get in free flight with a friend and let them single shoot at you. on certain parts of your ship. and you will see how it reacts.
Why? There are already 12 or more Function groups planned, 6 or 7 already build in. Shields, Main thruster, Side Thruster, Weapons, Power, Countermeasur, Heat/cooler system, Pipesystem that connects them. Every System you can tune or switch of.
Every system can fail on its own. shoot ONE single side thruster and then try to fly...and then think about "no complexity onyl shiny" again. It's plain not true.
WHAT true is, the amount of Work and love they put in it is...madness, but it is also a Reason why we all love this game. it would be madness if they put it out. What they do ist nearly real world engenieering of ships, you can stated thats not nessesary, Yeah thats true, but i love this frigging game because of excact this madness in terms of Ship i WANT it complex, i WANT it difficult, i WANT this high amaint of details.

You have played the Alpha long ago.
I plain say, this is Basic game design that needs in every game. And that is what we already testing there. This is supposed to be exact that what you stated. But you have to made the foundation before you build the House. And spoken in terms of the Picture they posted before: We HAVE only the Basement right now, that friggin true, that Alpha, is a tech demo, not more in this state, but we all imagine the final House on it and jumping happly around on the concrete and fantasize what we will put in this corner of the Living room, there is plain not even started to build. You can say "Dont talk about unlayed eggs" and we answer: "Lets talk about how we paint these eggs.". We plain dont listen to this argument. This is Hype, we known this and we plain don't care.

To the one they feared the SQ42 will not come out this Year:
Dude. do you really listen to any date what CR has stated? I say, based on the Alpha we already played, SQ42 will ready summer 2017. End 2016 they finally nailed down all the tech they need for it, and that's basically the very same what the PU will need.
Then the Fruits will kick in and testing that for hopefully not a half Year in a closed Beta. If the Furits so good as Tyler has stated in the RtV they need maybe two or three Months of Plain Beta Debugging with at least one patch every day. That made for me a Release at Spring 2017.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6703126/#Comment_6703126

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lpkst/cig_wont_present_at_pc_gaming_show_after_all/

1112 comments

This is the biggest back riot since Star Marine. :getin:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

My two grandmas were born 20 years apart, so I've got uncles on one side & a grandfather on the other who fought in the war. Literally on opposite sides of the war.

My dad's dad died in WW2 & the Russians locked up my grandmas & infant father in a camp. Grandma & her brother both went to great (and terrible) length to keep my dad alive, but he's had a distended belly his whole life from the experience & grandma wasn't the most pleasant person right up until the dementia set in.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

spacetoaster posted:

If they do this then anyone with talent and half a brain who survives the purge won't be around for long.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

spacetoaster posted:

i need this poo poo to get firebombed to the ground, thats the only way i get hard anymore. seeing the failures of others.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Why do people always say "open development!" in defense of SC? Open in the sense that they show off concept art sometimes and have a buggy tech demo? Or open in the sense that they just say "yes" to new features and call that a "sneak peek"? I really don't get it.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.
Stadulator is just upset that his theory regarding a direct relationship between cultism and amount given to CIG didn't pan out.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lethality slowly begins to understand the truth:

quote:

The troubling part is that the bank account can only absorb so many delays. And I don't think the ship pipeline or current backer pockets are bottomless :(

Each delay risks the overall project more and more.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
e;fb!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6702499/#Comment_6702499

quote:

And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus posted:

Name one game developer who's ever let the general public see this much behind the scenes and sausage making before

Starbound has shown actual sausage making not videos of the CEO's wife, his utterly talentless head cultist and a worthless hobo cracking lovely jokes while hoovering up nerd money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
My granddads both survived the war.

One fought in France and lost a leg back in 1940, then spent the rest of the war as invalid at home, married my grandmother and just kept working in the federal railway.
The other fought as part of Volkssturm in Berlin in the very last weeks of the war, as he was doing "strategically vital work" as part of the, let's call it employment exchange. He, a party member since the earlier years, proving true that good things always happen to bad people, got back into work with the post-war employment agency and his old buddies.
Both died in the early '80s.

• Locked thread