Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Excuse me, a Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in 1988.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, so the PPG episode where they get the Green Lantern powers is on, and I don't actually think they've ever used this power after this episode. I mean, it's not unheard of, there was the ice breath episode in the original, but this is a really early episode and it featured heavily in the marketing and merchandising, so it feels weird to have abandoned it so quickly.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Blossom actually did use ice breath in another episode.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

McTimmy posted:

Blossom actually did use ice breath in another episode.

I think they were referring to the Green Lantern powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, and I think I do recall the ice breath coming up at least once after, but it wasn't like a regular thing. However, I've seen merchandise centered around the Green Lantern stuff, so it feels weird that it's only been in one episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They've used the Green Lantern stuff a few other times, it's just not central. Like in one episode they're playing baseball and Buttercup turns into a missile launcher to fire the ball.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've suspected the new powers are an attempt to make the ppg another show with Steven Universe popularity but by just treating aspects of the show as part of a imitable formula instead of really getting what happened there (Like my favorite old PPG episode, "Knock it Off", kinda)... in particular Steven Universe's gems have shapeshifting and fusion as parts of their regular powerset, so maybe they thought part of that formula was shape changing powers.

it's a stupid theory that's basically an offhand thought I've had since ppg reboot was announced but what the hell, makes as much sense as anything else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Acne Rain posted:

I've suspected the new powers are an attempt to make the ppg another show with Steven Universe popularity but by just treating aspects of the show as part of a imitable formula instead of really getting what happened there (Like my favorite old PPG episode, "Knock it Off", kinda)... in particular Steven Universe's gems have shapeshifting and fusion as parts of their regular powerset, so maybe they thought part of that formula was shape changing powers.

it's a stupid theory that's basically an offhand thought I've had since ppg reboot was announced but what the hell, makes as much sense as anything else.

I wouldn't say it's stupid, there are other areas that support it like the way the characters, not sure how to describe it I guess morph around? Reminds of what Steven Universe does, allowing the characters to be malleable so each artist can leave a distinct mark on the series. (Or at least that's how I remember one Steven Universe interview describing it.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, PPG is way more trying to ape TTG than SU. Really it's not much like SU at all and them having a power that isn't even really present in SU isn't really all that telling anything.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

YouTube constantly recommends me two videos talking about how bad the PPG remake is. I saw that episode where they get the Green Lantern powers, and while I wouldn't say it's an out-and-out disaster, it's definitely not the classic show at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are the Powerpuff Girls sort of being brought into the DC universe? I keep on hearing about the new PPG getting involved in DC things, are they going towards that instead of using the old heroes from Justice Friends and Dial M for Monkey?

It'd technically be possible, since DC and Cartoon Network both are owned by Warner Brothers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are the Powerpuff Girls sort of being brought into the DC universe?

Oh that happened ages ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8iDFG6d734

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Seeing that reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQEAiZJMco

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cartoon Network taking the piss out of themselves for having most of their shows be Hanna-Barbera crap was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhbxlz_wrI

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't believe there's an in-universe explanation for Jeff wearing socks with his sandals and not just him being a total square.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to watching Star Vs the Forces of Evil. Pretty rote characters for the most part, but there were a few interesting questions raised in the first series about the overall universe. The Monster Massacre is obviously an allegory for the immigrants to the America's treatment of the natives, right down to the sanitized version taught to Star so I'm curious where they're going with that, and the question of what it means for the wand to be cleaved is an interesting one - especially calling attention to the dual meaning of the word. Overall I like Steven Universe better, but we'll see how the second series follows on from what the first series has been building up to.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That onetime Cartoon Network movie FireBreather is on which is weird because I was thinking about it recently after reading the comic. It's strange how they took the charm of the comic and replaced it with high school cliches.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gaunab posted:

That onetime Cartoon Network movie FireBreather is on which is weird because I was thinking about it recently after reading the comic. It's strange how they took the charm of the comic and replaced it with high school cliches.

They will always try to force everything into Highschool. Like that weird series of new DC shorts aimed at girls. Because a TTGO style comedy like those ones staring Super Girl voiced by a comedian, an energetic Babs and a meh Donna Troy is apparently not girly enough. Its gotta be much more pathetic and full of lessons. And somehow Wonder Woman's gotta be enrolled at the same super hero academy as Harley Quinzel. Because Joker/villain affirmative action or something.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Crabtree posted:

They will always try to force everything into Highschool. Like that weird series of new DC shorts aimed at girls. Because a TTGO style comedy like those ones staring Super Girl voiced by a comedian, an energetic Babs and a meh Donna Troy is apparently not girly enough. Its gotta be much more pathetic and full of lessons. And somehow Wonder Woman's gotta be enrolled at the same super hero academy as Harley Quinzel. Because Joker/villain affirmative action or something.

So it's basically Gotham High 2.0?

I wish they had made Super Best Friends a full show. All of those DC shorts were really good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Gann Jerrod posted:

I wish they had made Super Best Friends a full show. All of those DC shorts were really good.

No, its DC Bratz/Barbie/Monster High.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to cry for not being in the Earth where Batman of Shanghai was made into its own show.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't believe there's an in-universe explanation for Jeff wearing socks with his sandals and not just him being a total square.
Shoes and socks serve the same purpose, so it ultimately does come down to him being a square.

Also, I just learned that Jeff's voice actor is the kid from The Goldbergs. Much less notably, he's the voice of the dog on "Russell Madness," a movie about a wrestling dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVH9ULo4mzQ

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got around to watching Star Vs the Forces of Evil. Pretty rote characters for the most part, but there were a few interesting questions raised in the first series about the overall universe. The Monster Massacre is obviously an allegory for the immigrants to the America's treatment of the natives, right down to the sanitized version taught to Star so I'm curious where they're going with that, and the question of what it means for the wand to be cleaved is an interesting one - especially calling attention to the dual meaning of the word. Overall I like Steven Universe better, but we'll see how the second series follows on from what the first series has been building up to.

I watched the first episode of Star Vs shortly after it came out and dismissed it as being too monkeycheese for my tastes. Later on, after the season was over, I watched the rest because people were talking about it and I was pleasantly surprised. There's some nice character development with the conflict between Star and Marco in the second half of the season, and the slow revelation of backstory with the promise of more to come kept me interested. Like you mentioned, I don't think it's really doing anything that Steven Universe isn't doing just as well or better, but it has promise and I'll definitely check out season 2 when it starts in July.

Also, with Gravity Falls over and Wander Over Yonder coming to an end soon, Star Vs is probably going to be the best cartoon on Disney Channel/Disney XD pretty soon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's a shame that there isn't much/any room for non-Marvel cartoons on Disney channels these days, and also that the Marvel shows that we do have are subpar.

I heard that there's a new cartoon on Nickelodeon that's surprisingly not horrible. Something about a big family? Are the rumors true?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Y-Hat posted:

It's a shame that there isn't much/any room for non-Marvel cartoons on Disney channels these days, and also that the Marvel shows that we do have are subpar.

I heard that there's a new cartoon on Nickelodeon that's surprisingly not horrible. Something about a big family? Are the rumors true?

There's a few more disney shows lined up the next few years; the Big Hero 6 cartoon, the Tangled cartoon, the DuckTales reboot, the show from Aaron Springer (of Spongebob, Samurai Jack, Krogoth, and Mickey Mouse fame) called Billy Dilley's Subterranean Summer, and another show called Country Club.

Apparently the Loud House (created by Chris Savino, who was the showrunner for both the Dexter's Lab revival and the final two seasons of Powerpuff Girls) is beating Spongebob in ratings.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

The hell is this? Some failed concpet art for a dead on arrive pilot?

Also if they want Batman teen, reboot Beyond.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Apparently the Loud House (created by Chris Savino, who was the showrunner for both the Dexter's Lab revival and the final two seasons of Powerpuff Girls) is beating Spongebob in ratings.
Wow, that's not a good previous track record at all.

Has Nickelodeon been aggressively marketing Loud House? Anything beating out Spongebob in the ratings has to have had some sort of bump from them. That, or the word of mouth really is that good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

The hell is this? Some failed concpet art for a dead on arrive pilot?

Also if they want Batman teen, reboot Beyond.

For something with less raves and analogues to actual drugs, maybe they could adapt Gotham Academy

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Crabtree posted:

And somehow Wonder Woman's gotta be enrolled at the same super hero academy as Harley Quinzel. Because Joker/villain affirmative action or something.
Quick reminder, the Joker's insanity is chemical-based and Harley Quinn's insanity is just actual insanity. This makes her more naturally crazy than the Joker. The fact that she doesn't have Super Comic Book Insanity also makes her dangerous abusive relationship with him even more tragic. She isn't a good guy, she kills people and is complicit in the killing of people. She probably shouldn't be on a show called DC Super Hero Girls.
:goonsay:
What's that? I'm a grognard and an old man-nerd and a square and nobody cares? Gotcha. That Superwoman/Batwoman/Wonder Woman show could've been something great though.

Y-Hat posted:

Loud House. It's alright. Harvey Beaks isn't bad either. I actually prefer Harvey but they keep screwing with the scheduling and I've heard the marketing for it is terrible.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Y-Hat posted:

Wow, that's not a good previous track record at all.

His artistic track record's a bit more varied; he storyboarded on a ton of of the old cartoon cartoons, as well as getting his start as a layout artist on Ren & Stimpy and a character/prop designer on Rocko's Modern life. He was also a producer/director on the first aka good season of Johnny Test.

His writing record also includes a few older powerpuff girls episodes (he was apparently hand picked by McCracken himself to take over, and the show had ended not because the network decided to renew it but because both him and McCracken decided that the show was getting stale), a few various episodes of various shows (the mickey mouse short that he did that I linked earlier in the thread was pretty good), and this old pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTtJlBkack

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think two of my favourite PPG episodes were the one where the Girls all go on strike cause they're sick of doing everyone's everything (Blossom: So how will you defeat the monster? Townsperon: I know! We'll feed it soggy toast!) and the one where the Gangrene Gang get into the mayors office, just for the final scene with Him, Mojo Jojo and Fuzzy Lumpkins dispensing justice.
Him: "~Soooooo... I hear you like to make~ PRANK CALLS!"

On a side note, in Courage the Cowardly Dog my favourite character was Katz. He was the only villain who was truly evil for the sake of it. The others all wanted money or power to some extent, Katz was just a serial killer who liked murdering people. He didn't want to scam muriel or eustace out of money, or really trick them beyond getting them in the door, he just wanted to kill them, and not out of revenge at first, mostly just for the fun. The only character he felt vengeful towards was Courage, and even then he basically plays with his catch just like any cat. His catchphrase was "How about a little sport before you die?" after all. In his first ep he also brought out the best in Muriel: She saved the day in that one, hitting him with a frying pan after escaping one of his spiders before he could finish Courage off. "Let's go home. The service here stinks. :mad:"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 6, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the show from Aaron Springer (of Spongebob, Samurai Jack, Krogoth, and Mickey Mouse fame) called Billy Dilley's Subterranean Summer

Disney sure loves their cartoons that take place over an endless summer.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

raditts posted:

Disney sure loves their cartoons that take place over an endless summer.

That reminds me of an old marathon event they had for Ed Edd & Eddy called Endless Summer. They made it look and sound like a communist revolution complete with parade sounds and giant posters of the Eds with an army of marching Planks. It was a great time to grow up. I'm a little sketchy on it though because I can't find any evidence for it having happened on the first page of Google.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Most of the school episodes were better anyway, even though they flanderized the characters something fierce.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

MrSlam posted:

Quick reminder, the Joker's insanity is chemical-based and Harley Quinn's insanity is just actual insanity. This makes her more naturally crazy than the Joker. The fact that she doesn't have Super Comic Book Insanity also makes her dangerous abusive relationship with him even more tragic. She isn't a good guy, she kills people and is complicit in the killing of people. She probably shouldn't be on a show called DC Super Hero Girls.
:goonsay:
What's that? I'm a grognard and an old man-nerd and a square and nobody cares? Gotcha. That Superwoman/Batwoman/Wonder Woman show could've been something great though.

And not only that, but Poision Ivy AKA the plant thing that feeds people to her giant Venus fly traps, is also there and is cast as the incredibly shy girl. Because all for girl media needs to be almost incestuously identical with everything else to ensure to marketing and producers that there is no way it could lose to every other show like it. It has 6 main characters just like that one surviving piece of the hub too!

Isn't loud family just like one boy living with 10 or so sisters or something?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Isn't loud family just like one boy living with 10 or so sisters or something?

Yeah. The sisters have each one, maybe two defining traits each, which is what you'd expect from such a big cast, and there are more toilet joke than what I'd like (read: none at all) but it is watchable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

He was also a producer/director on the first aka good season of Johnny Test.
I refuse to believe such a thing exists.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Y-Hat posted:

good by johnny test standards (objectively it's okayish. It's not flash-style animation for one)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Y-Hat posted:

Writing wise it's only average(and fairly derivative), but it actually had pretty good animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Writing wise it's only average(and fairly derivative), but it actually had pretty good animation

That's even more unbelievable!