Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I felt the best of the bunch was Fearless Night. At first glance it looks like a Melty Blood clone, but when actually playing it, it really is Guilty Gear with all of the fat cut out. If you like Guilty Gear, you should like this game.
I wish this aesthetic would've stayed in the 00's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

I also played the indie titles. Another-god's "Super Combat Junior 2" is actually more fun than it looks, but not by much. The "WTF am I doing" is slightly less of a problem because you yourself are moving the character, but even then so it can be a bit confusing at times. Something that the videos couldn't convey is that the game overcomplicate's itself. Basically you pick between four different weapons and shield in the weapon select screen. Each weapon/shield is tied to a button. So to use the sword you press "O", to use the shield you press "/\" , to use the mallet you press "R1", etc. It really just over-complicates things, it could truly learn from the saying "less is more", as I feel that the game would be much better with only two items rather than four. Even some of the stages are too complicated for their own good, there is one stage in particular that was not only maze-like, but had spikes that struck up from the ground, meaning that you could get lost and die without your opponent actually hitting you. That said, the game isn't all bad and is pretty fun, it just needs some more time in the oven.

Ha. Ayyyyyeeeee. Thanks for playing the game. Lupe fiasco was all like, "how is this like street fighter?" Lol. Gosh.

quote:

Personally there were some really enjoyable indie titles. I felt the best of the bunch was Fearless Night. At first glance it looks like a Melty Blood clone, but when actually playing it, it really is Guilty Gear with all of the fat cut out. If you like Guilty Gear, you should like this game.

There is also Pocket Rumble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3PKZ_MIhcs&t=16s It is pretty much an updated version of the Neo Geo Pocket MOTM game. It's very fun.

Also, after CB, I like SFV a lot more than before after playing a lot of sets. I'll pick it up some where down the line. I also finally tried UNIEL, but unfortunately I found it boring. :(

EDIT - Also, Jesus gently caress are PS4s difficult to deal with. The whole account thing and controller sync is a headache. I really really wish fighting games would switch over to PCs. There has to be someway to make the games be consistent on modern setups.

The dude making fearless night has a much better looking game that his promo shots made it look. And Christian and April from CBR were friendly and super dope. Sonic fox played both games and liked them. Keits apparently likes pocket rumble. Both were p dope.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 30, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flinger posted:

i hope it never leaves

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Did Lupe Fiasco actually compete in the Street Fighter V tournament? I know he was at Combo Breaker, but not sure if he participated.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Flinger posted:

Magical anime bullshit is pretty garbage, but it's an aesthetic/genre way larger than just fighting games so it's probably never going anywhere unless fighting games go mainstream and the weebs go into hiding (not happening).

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

neoclassical+anime is the worst combination because when people play those games in events high-frequency sounds like violins and little girls screaming is all you hear

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
whiney vent post I made in the watching pros matches thread that might be more applicable here

attackmole posted:

I know that feel. I know it's part of what makes me a bad but it's so tempting to stick to one character and focus on one game out of familiarity. It's like I put myself through boot camp for a few months to go from not ever playing fighting games to being mediocre at Xrd (aka bad, but normal bad, not 'never played a fighting game' bad), but it's like all of that goes out of the window when I switch characters (or even worse, to a new game, shoutout to Melty).

I know the answer is to suck it up and just play lots of different games and learn lots of characters because each new one comes easier than the one before it, but the skill grind to go from "I have no idea what I'm doing" to "ok I kinda know what I'm doing" is the most boring part of learning IMO. I have bad hands and am a baby and need to practice BnB's for hours before being comfortable with them in matches though so YMMV.

The fact that I'm vaguely competitive at Xrd with everyone but the top tier people at my local club despite still loving up DP's on the reg maybe means I've learned some decent fundamentals, iunno gently caress I'm bad. I feel like it takes me longer to learn stuff than most people just cause my execution is so garbage. I guess I just gotta sit down and clean up my technique as a project, or maybe it'll fix itself with time (lol no i gotta practice it explicitly gently caress).

Queue 10 people telling me the only way to learn is to suck it up and learn more games and characters, and yes, you're right. Just venting cause the learning curve is rough.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did Lupe Fiasco actually compete in the Street Fighter V tournament? I know he was at Combo Breaker, but not sure if he participated.

From what I heard, he only got there on Saturday, so couldn't participate in the tourney. Cool that he stuck around though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

attackmole posted:

whiney vent post I made in the watching pros matches thread that might be more applicable here

Queue 10 people telling me the only way to learn is to suck it up and learn more games and characters, and yes, you're right. Just venting cause the learning curve is rough.

FWIW, this is pretty much where I'm at (minus the being competent at Xrd part), so I feel ya.

Over two years of zero actual practice and mostly just random fumbling I've gone from being unable to process simple QCFs to being unable to process about 80% of what's happening on screen at any given time. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 30, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

Like, I'm not good at any games, but it starts getting easier to learn new characters/games the more new character/games you pick up. Sure, JWong is a fuckin' aberration of nature and plays anything well, but he also has about 20 years of experience in multiple games, from Tekken to ST, Marvel 2 and fuckin' Super Puzzle Fighter Turbo. I still stumble when trying to play specific archetypes and my execution sucks, but it took me way less time to pick up Chun-Li in V than it did for me to have a passable Poison in Ultra, same thing goes for learning F-Aoko lately after trying to figure out Sol in Xrd and dabling with Teddie in P4A. It's rough and you lose a lot, but it gets easier every time.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

attackmole posted:

Yeah it takes a lot of dedication to get comfortable with fighting games at the step beyond ye olde j.HK c.HK combo.

I find a key advice is don't try to win, just try to have fun and do cool things. It's much harder to learn how some stuff works if you're dead afraid of losing, but if you're just playing to just find out what happens if you throw out an overhead when the other guy is walking towards you, or what happens if I try this random EX move on wakeup, or what happens if I just poke this guy with LP's all day, then you'll learn much faster and also have a lot more fun.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

A.o.D. posted:

Doesn't WNF run SFV on PC? I wish that I could say that I knew for certain, but that poo poo runs way past my bedtime.

Yes, they're sponsored by Dell Alienware.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lupe apparently just sat on a casual station in training mode and wouldn't play anyone when someone came up to ask him to play.

Combo Breaker was a great major, except for sf5 finals being pretty boring. I got 5th in UNIEL and had my passion for the game reignited. I'm gonna grind MELTY and xrd this summer and go to ceotaku in the fall.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

burger time posted:

I got 5th in UNIEL and had my passion for the game reignited.

That's pretty awesome; congrats. :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime, synthesized violins, and girls all own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqPK4BqjeU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Has anyone with a TE2+ had issues with it randomly disconnecting? A friend picked up the TE2+ that was recently released in Japan and said that it cut out on him once yesterday (made him have to switch to PS3 mode and back to fix it), and that it's apparently a known issue.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

AnonSpore posted:

Has anyone with a TE2+ had issues with it randomly disconnecting? A friend picked up the TE2+ that was recently released in Japan and said that it cut out on him once yesterday (made him have to switch to PS3 mode and back to fix it), and that it's apparently a known issue.

havent heard about it before, try tech talk on SRK and see what they say

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

AnonSpore posted:

the only issue i have with mine is i have to plug it in before i load xrd on pc for it to register. other than that, it has been fine

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

On a more positive note, this is some drat good street fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N71pNmep8I

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress marvel

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/daromeon/status/737663204101230592

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goty

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bisse posted:

On a more positive note, this is some drat good street fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N71pNmep8I

It's ridiculous how many games SonicFox is top tier at. In ComboBreaker he dominated in Skullgirls and UNIEL, and remained highly competitive in Mortal Kombat.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is there any particular game that goons play a lot on Fightcade?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mattavist posted:

3rd Strike, ST, KoF '98 are all solid ones from what I've seen (and it'll make you Booyah's best friend).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Garou and CvS 2 are cool

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do people play enough to teach me how to play? Or is it just like Zand yelling "play children of the atom" into the night?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Mattavist posted:

Neo Turf Masters

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Kuvo posted:

Neo Turf Masters

Does this game have a training mode of some kind? I keep trying to get Fernando Almeida's one frame layup links just right, but I end up getting bodied by Frank Adams scrubs doing his drive chain. It's unsafe as hell but I can't punish it with the game's one-stroke input lag.

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
What's the best button layout for XRD??

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Controls#Arcade_Layout

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
arcade layout

anything else is blaspehmy

like those people who play neo-geo games on box layout

loving heathens

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I use punch, kick, slash on the top 3 buttons and hs and dust on the bottom 3 buttons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I use macros for burst and yrc. I am lame

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use the regular I think and then bind whatever button is my 6th button (L1 or R1 I can't remember) to the YRC input.

Oh and unbind taunt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wait a minute I use a modified Type D, probably because the first FG I ever learned was P4A

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

interrodactyl posted:

anything else is blaspehmy

like those people who play neo-geo games on box layout

loving heathens

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've got an 8-button stick so I just use:

P K S H
D

But I'm totally aware that's a weird layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Is it worth it to get sign if I have a PC, since I have no idea when revelator is coming to my platform?